Awoo.

Popular and unpopular Sonic opinions you agree and disagree with!

KHCast

45948-oh-snap-gif-mRzq.gif

Damn! That has got to be one of the most unpopular opinions I've seen here!tongue.png

Just curious, what is it about Sandopolis you like so much? And what is it you don't like about Hydrocity?

Oh lawdy, that GIF. xD

Like I said in my post, what I like about Sandopolis is the unique gimmicks. The absailing wires. The ghosts in act 2 (yes, I actually liked them :3) The sand hills rising and you having to dodge being crushed. The sandfalls you ride down like Oil Ocean Zone. It's a really nice zone in my view. :3

Hydrocity... I cannot see why people like this place so much. I like Labyrinth and Aquatic Ruin. I see Labyrinth as a fair, slow-paced challenge while I enjoy Aquatic Ruin for giving you the option to zoom past the water sections, or to go venture within them if you wish. Hydrocity I see as... ugh. It tries to be a fast water level, and to me that doesn't work well. The enemy placements can be pretty dickish at times too (not to the extent of say, Metropolis, but it's still dickish) and the boss is not fun in the slightest. The music is also, in my opinion, heavily overrated. I don't see a particular charm in either track, to be honest.

• Replies 7.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Kuzu

• E-122-Psi

• CrownSlayer’s Shadow

• DabigRG

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Unpopular Opinions;

- Icecap Zone's music (Sonic 3) is extremely overrated.

- The interactions between Sonic and Tails in Colours, Sonic and Shahra in SatSR, Sonic and Caliburn in SatBK, Sonic and Chip in Unleashed and Blaze and Cream in Rush constitute the best character dynamics so far depicted in the series.

- Chao breeding is awesome and addictive. It's so intriguing to see what a new egg will hatch into when it's different-colours parents produce it.

- "With Me" is the most interesting final boss theme in the series because it's lyrics attest to a clash of ideals between the combatants. It doesn't settle for 'epic' lyrics that get across truimph/the badass nature of the fight and for that it sticks out.

- The majority of the reactions from the characters to shocking/sad plot points in the Archie Sonic comic series are overdone and ridiculous and are narmtastic because they allicit the opposite feelings of what they're clearly trying to induce for me personally.

- AoStH is pure unadulterated crap compared to SatAM. Whilst SatAM is overrated and hasn't aged all that well, it did have much better animation (The 'intentionally more expressive than on-model' animation style for AoStH never sat well with me), more interesting and less formulaic episode plots and more interesting characters with thoughtful characterization.

• Thumbs Up 1

Unpopular Opinions;

- The interactions between Sonic and Tails in Colours, Sonic and Shahra in SatSR, Sonic and Caliburn in SatBK, Sonic and Chip in Unleashed and Blaze and Cream in Rush constitute the best character dynamics so far depicted in the series.

- "With Me" is the most interesting final boss theme in the series because it's lyrics attest to a clash of ideals between the combatants. It doesn't settle for 'epic' lyrics that get across truimph/the badass nature of the fight and for that it sticks out.

I agree wholeheartedly with the both of these.  Although admittedly I wouldn't classify With Me as my favourite final boss theme overall, it's definitely a very interesting one and very well thought out as a piece of music in general.

- AoStH is pure unadulterated crap compared to SatAM. Whilst SatAM is overrated and hasn't aged all that well, it did have much better animation (The 'intentionally more expressive than on-model' animation style for AoStH never sat well with me), more interesting and less formulaic episode plots and more interesting characters with thoughtful characterization.

While I do like AoStH, your post has got me thinking of another unpopular opinion I hold, regarding Milton Knight's "intentionally off-model" philosophy.

I think, given the way AoStH Robotnik behaves, he really should have resembled game Eggman more. His red eyes and heavily westernized outfit don't really fit the goofy, oddball wackiness that he was written for, and as much as I love that incarnation of the character, I really think the classic game design would've served him so much better.

SatAM Robotnik is obviously a completely different sort of character than his game counterpart, so I can see why he looks completely different. But AoStH Robotnik? That guy's a somewhat exaggerated Sega Eggman in everything but design.

This is unpopular?

While I do like AoStH, your post has got me thinking of another unpopular opinion I hold, regarding Milton Knight's "intentionally off-model" philosophy.

I think, given the way AoStH Robotnik behaves, he really should have resembled game Eggman more. His red eyes and heavily westernized outfit don't really fit the goofy, oddball wackiness that he was written for, and as much as I love that incarnation of the character, I really think the classic game design would've served him so much better.

SatAM Robotnik is obviously a completely different sort of character than his game counterpart, so I can see why he looks completely different. But AoStH Robotnik? That guy's a somewhat exaggerated Sega Eggman in everything but design.

Agreed. Classic Eggman's design is such a fit for the whimsical brand of evil AoStH Robotnik encapsulates. I mean Classic Eggman looks downright hilarious as far as I'm concerned and a good fit for the Boobish and prone to Angrish AoStH Robotnik. This round dude has a cape that's far too small for him and a wide toothy grin akin to the Cheshire cat underneath his glorious 'tache as well as comically-thin arms and legs. How can you look at this and not think it's a fairly good fit for AoStH?

900sb8.png

This is unpopular?

I just get the impression that AoStH is held in higher regard around here than SatAM.

Hm, I don't know, Verte. Even with all of its flaws, I still prefer Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog over Sonic the Hedgehog (SatAM). I just find the latter to be quite boring and overrated.

• Thumbs Up 4

I dunno. It's been a while, but I remember him being more crude and nasty than I can imagine classic Eggman being.

I just get the impression that AoStH is held in higher regard around here than SatAM.

Really? Just about everywhere I go, people hate it, or at least dislike it.

Really? Just about everywhere I go, people hate it, or at least dislike it.

Trust me, at least here at this particular forum, SatAM gets a lot more flack than AoStH.

Trust me, at least here at this particular forum, SatAM gets a lot more flack than AoStH.

It's because we know AoStH is made to be silly while SatAM was made to be serious, so people seem to treat it seriously for some reason.

It's because we know AoStH is made to be silly while SatAM was made to be serious, so people seem to treat it seriously for some reason.

Speaking of which, a pet peeve of mine is the fact that some people almost seems to explain away any flaws in AoStH with the "but it's supposed to be silly!" card. Yes. it's supposed to be silly but it's not supposed to be bad, and one could easily consider it a bad show that fails at being silly in an amusing way.

Speaking of which, a pet peeve of mine is the fact that some people almost seems to explain away any flaws in AoStH with the "but it's supposed to be silly!" card. Yes. it's supposed to be silly but it's not supposed to be bad, and one could easily consider it a bad show that fails at being silly in an amusing way.

But it's not a bad show, it's actually pretty fun to watch. I used to love watching it when it first came out. It has all the aesthetics for a funny children's show with 90's humour. It was in the same category as the Earthworm Jim cartoon. I don't know why people hate it, maybe it's just the younger people who can't understand the 90's?

It first aired when I was 5. I still have all the videos.

Pshh 555 posts from me. I like numbers like that...

Edited by Mogtaki
  • Thumbs Up 1

Dark Gaia was pretty fun to fight on the Wii version of Unleashed, especially as Super Sonic.

Some from me:

- I still think that Sonic Adventure 2 Battle is the best 3D Sonic game, despite its age.

- I actually liked Shadow the Hedgehog even though I fully admit that it's a very average game and it was clearly trying to be too edgy. I like the multiple levels and missions giving great replayability.

- When I owned Gems Collection I enjoyed playing Sonic R way more than I enjoyed Sonic the Fighters or even Sonic CD.

- Sonic R's soundtrack isn't a "guilty pleasure" for me. I actually really like it.

- I never really liked any of the 3D games that rely on boost too much. Something always felt off to me.

- I still think that Sonic Adventure 2 Battle is the best 3D Sonic game, despite its age.

- Sonic R's soundtrack isn't a "guilty pleasure" for me. I actually really like it.

Going to have to agree with you on those two.

I've got a few 'unpopular' (I think?) opinions -

- I don't think Dimps have done a bad job with the franchise, I can only think of one Dimps developed Sonic game I absolutely hated, and that's Advance 3, (and even then I still get some enjoyment playing it).

- Also relating to Dimps, I don't think Sonic 4 was that bad a game, yes it wasn't a suitable sequel to S3&K, but I think it wouldn't have got slammed as hard if it was called something different.

- Right, now this one is going to get me quite a bit of hate, but I think Sonic Rush is the best 2D Sonic game in the whole franchise. 

Edited by TheAzureGuy
  • Thumbs Up 1

I agree with this 100% all the way. Sonic R's soundtrack never fails to make me smile.

• Thumbs Up 1

This opinion may be extremely unpopular, but I think Dr. Eggman is really overrated. Yes, I'm aware he's one of the best-written characters in the series, but I just don't find him that interesting.

Please don't hurt me...

Is this unpopular?

Planet Wisp is the weakest Sonic Colours stage. In the DS version of Colours it's very repetitive because most of the stage is either you Drilling or using Rocket. The HD Version suffers from the Same problem but with Spike and Rocket. The Wii Version is good but I get more enjoyment out of Tropical Resort, Asteroid Coaster, and Sweet Mountain. I also feel that Tropical Resort was much more enjoyable in Gens 3d than Planet Wisp in Gens HD.

• Thumbs Up 2

I think that the aplomb of his final boss status in Colours and Generations is overrated simply for the fact that those game's stories simply don't work-up to generating any real kind of satisfaction that could be derived from fighting him. What compounds it is the way that Egg Nega Wisp and Time Eater are such banal and/or terrible final bosses anyway, which just cinches it for me.

If anything though, I think that Eggman himself was underrated for years, a lot of fans skipping over how incredibly competent and determined he's been and calling for him to exhibit traits of alternate-continuity incarnations that are just parodies of him i.e SatAM Robotnik and which are simply not compatible with game Dr Eggman. He's not domineering for the sake of being domineering, not evil for the sake of being evil and mass-killing is beneath him.

• Thumbs Up 2

I honestly liked all of Dimps efforts up to Sonic 4. In fact I class Sonic Advance as the true Sonic 4 in terms of tone and quality.

The Advance series may have dipped a bit in quality as time went on, but they were all solid titles, and despite introducing the boost mechanic, both Rush games are fun to play.

I think the reason why Sonic R's soundtrack appeals to me is because I like the sort of 90s dance thing it has going on. TJ Davis' vocals probably really help here and she reminds me of tracks like Show Me Love by Robin S. In fact the only song I probably don't like is the title track Super Sonic Racing because the lyrics feel more forced to match the game, while all the other lyrics would work unconnected from the game. This is also why I like Vectorman's Ocean stage music because it sounds like 90s dance-type music.

An opinion I'm pretty sure is unpopular:

I care less about whether Eggman is or isn't the main villain, and more about how well he's written, how developed his character is, and how entertaining his screentime is. In short, his status as a character trumps his status as a villain in terms of importance, for me at least.

Sonic Adventure 2 - for example - was one of Eggman's best appearances, despite featuring a giant lizard monster as the final boss. The Doc's backstory is fleshed out, he's given real motivation and sympathy, going deeper than the grinning cartoon facade he usually wears. He's also playable, which helps.

Unleashed was a great appearance for Eggman too. Was he overthrown at the end? Yeah, buuut he totally toppled Super Sonic in the intro, we got those amusing "Day in the life of Eggman" cutscenes, and he even finally creates Eggmanland (with amusingly sentient robot citizens, no less). It was great, and Eggman's secondary villain status made him no less lovable in that appearance.

Now, of course, I like Eggman to be the main villain (I loved Colors and Generations for putting the spotlight back on him), but I think as long as the Doctor is endearing (and at least a little bit threatening), I'm good. 

I think this is why I'm okay with Lost World's premise. The idea of Eggman and Sonic having an entire game of character interaction - regardless of who the final boss is - really piques my interest.

• Thumbs Up 7

Really unpopular opinion here.

I actually enjoy playing as Amy in Sonic Adventure. Her slowed down, precise platforming offered a nice change of pace, but was slightly more intense when being chased by Zero. The only two things I can say I didn't really like about her story were travelling in hub worlds with her, and the level Hot Shelter. Hot Shelter isn't all that bad, but it overstays its welcome after a couple minutes, and travelling in the Mystic Ruins with her takes FOREVER. Aside from that, I had fun with her gameplay, even though I never go back to replaying her levels.

• Thumbs Up 3

Is this unpopular?

Planet Wisp is the weakest Sonic Colours stage. In the DS version of Colours it's very repetitive because most of the stage is either you Drilling or using Rocket. The HD Version suffers from the Same problem but with Spike and Rocket. The Wii Version is good but I get more enjoyment out of Tropical Resort, Asteroid Coaster, and Sweet Mountain. I also feel that Tropical Resort was much more enjoyable in Gens 3d than Planet Wisp in Gens HD.

THIS.

I cannot believe that Planet Wisp was chosen for Generations of all levels. It's the weakest, it really is. There's nothing really remarkable. I prefer EVERY other level; hell, I'd rather deal with Terminal Velocity being in Generations than Planet Wisp.

I would've rooted for Asteroid Coaster, considering it's currently the latest Sonic stage, not counting Terminal Velocity. Nice way to wrap up an anniversary game.

• Thumbs Up 2

Is this unpopular?

I agree with you. I don't find the aesthetics of the level attractive, the music is boring, and I find the level design to be a huge spindash/platform riding fest. I'm surprised Aquarium Park, Starlight Carnival, or Asteroid Coaster weren't picked for Generations.