Awoo.

Popular and unpopular Sonic opinions you agree and disagree with!

KHCast

I don't like Super Sonic.

No, really. There's something that annoys me about Sonic struggling to beat a foe, so he just transforms and clobbers them easily. No thanks.

I'd rather see Sonic fighting with all his might and strength to overcome the final foe than just SuperSonicEasyVictory.

It'd be so much more relateable if Sonic were to struggle beating a foe, only to eventually win using his own strength and merits, rather than transforming into Super.

• Thumbs Up 2

• Replies 7.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Kuzu

• E-122-Psi

• CrownSlayer’s Shadow

• DabigRG

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I don't dislike Planet Wisp as I enjoyed every stage in some way. I do agree though that it made for a really, really odd final stage. I suppose that's the problem with the level structure. Crisis City would have made a better final stage, but would have come too soon.

I really like how Starlight Carnival became a parody of Disney's Electrical Parade.

Unpopular: I still think Sweet Mountain had the potential to be a awesome stage in Generations. Whether that be th remixes or the level design, there was so much that could have been interesting. I mean classic Sonic integrating food gimmicks into his gameplay would have been awesome! I wouldn't have minded Aquatic park either, but SM seemed more unique and fun IMO.

Planet Wisp in Colours was one of my favourite stages, with the intricate platforming and the dizzying heights of this under construction behemoth, and the greenery in the background. The few sections that mixed the two were also really nice and the contrast was more apparent here than in Generations aside from a few bits in Classic.

I also think it was the right choice, as it's the home planet of the Wisps and it probably added the most to the plot beyond Tropical Resort. It wasn't done as effectively in Generations though, obviously.

• Thumbs Up 1

Extremely unpopular opinion:

I find Labyrinth Zone easy. In my eyes, I seriously cannot see what everyone finds so hard. And those people who piss themselves over the drowning theme; I'm sorry, but they must be like 5 years old. Yes, it makes the case feel urgent. But is it scary? NO. IT'S HARDLY EVEN THREATENING. 

I think people just get frustrated because it's slow-paced; I like the slow-paced nature. It's a nice break from the norm, and you need to remember that this was the first game in the franchise and they were only experimenting.

The boss? It's just memorization. If you get frustrated your first couple of times, fine. But after about 3 playthroughs, you should be used to the pattern. People who whinge about it who played the original Mega Drive version back in the 90s... I'll never understand them.

Edited by Super Spindash
  • Thumbs Up 2

^ And the boss. Fuck the boss.

EDIT: Spindash adding the boss to his post made this redundant. :U

Edited by Spin Attaxx

I honestly used to think that you were supposed to hit the boss while following it. Made me really hate that particular boss fight.

^ And the boss. Fuck the boss.

If you know you just have to run, it's a piece of cake.

If you don't... well, fuck.

Extremely unpopular opinion:

I find Labyrinth Zone easy. In my eyes, I seriously cannot see what everyone finds so hard. And those people who piss themselves over the drowning theme; I'm sorry, but they must be like 5 years old. Yes, it makes the case feel urgent. But is it scary? NO. IT'S HARDLY EVEN THREATENING. 

I think people just get frustrated because it's slow-paced; I like the slow-paced nature. It's a nice break from the norm, and you need to remember that this was the first game in the franchise and they were only experimenting.

The boss? It's just memorization. If you get frustrated your first couple of times, fine. But after about 3 playthroughs, you should be used to the pattern. People who whinge about it who played the original Mega Drive version back in the 90s... I'll never understand them.

In the same vein, Chemical Plant's water climbing section is really not that hard at all. Maybe the first times, but after the next couple? No excuse.

I've probably said this sometime before... but I don't think much of the Storybook series' characterisation as others do. Or more specifically, Sonic.

Now don't get me wrong, I can definitely see the appeal for why others would like it. They certainly do Sonic's character justice, especially after Sonic '06 came along, and I'll admit it probably is the best characterisation of him in any of the games.

But here's the thing. Despite liking so many elements about the Sonic universe in terms of locations, bosses, music, characters, enemies, and whatever else... I've actually never cared for Sonic himself all that much.

You see, barring a few exceptions, the confident/radical braggart protagonist type of character tends to really get on my nerves. Now to be fair, I can't blame Sonic entirely since - when it comes to video games at least - he was sort of the codifier of that character archetype, so to do so would be a little unfair since I'd be blaming him for something he partially created in the first place. But even then, even when I first got into the series back in 2003, it was Tails who I immediately became a fanatic of. And while I've always been fine with "Solo Sonica" games and will continue to be should they keep going that way, when it comes to character-characters, I like about 80% of the entire cast more than Sonic himself. And this is coming from someone who doesn't even mind Mario.

As such, while I'm sure the Storybook series' reputation of it's characterisation is well deserved, and I'm sure those who praise it have every right to do so... because I'm not a big fan of Sonic anyways, it's not really a selling point for me personally. (Incidentally, this might be another factor for why I love Colours so much. Because even Tails knows he's talking rubbish.)

Despite what you'd think of a Robotnik fanboy like me, I don't have any problems with other villains/other final bosses/etc in itself. I mean, of course not. It's only natural for an ongoing video game series to have other baddies pop up, and I do legitimately like some of them anyways (eg: Erazor Djinn, funnily enough). The real problem for me was that - from around the Adventure-Unleashed period, the whole Gone Out of Control/Got Screwed Over/Etc Etc happened way too many times to count. From around 2002 to 2009, Ivo only made the rank four times throughout those years... and the latter two were with Nega. If the ratio was a bit more fair and balanced, that would be fine. No worries.

Having said that, despite my initial dismay about it seemingly happening yet again, I'm actually pretty confident about the situation in Lost World, for various reasons;

1. The rest of the game is shaping up to be wonderful regardless, and that's ultimately what matters.

2. It helps that I actually like the Deadly Six, provided they don't do anything Mephiles/Nega-worthy (I'm certain they won't). No seriously, I really do. Their designs are so endearing to me, particularly the Discord!Waluigi one.

3. While I won't hype myself up for it in the event that I end up disappointing myself, there's a possible chance there might be some sort of twist ala the OVA. And unlike, say, SA2 or Sonic '06, there's a good chance Robotnik will be constantly berating and heckling Sonic either way.

Also, a more minor one: From what I've seen from most viewpoints, I don't think the Nega-Wisp Armor gets enough credit.

• Thumbs Up 3

Despite what you'd think of a Robotnik fanboy like me, I don't have any problems with other villains/other final bosses/etc in itself. I mean, of course not. It's only natural for an ongoing video game series to have other baddies pop up, and I do legitimately like some of them anyways (eg: Erazor Djinn, funnily enough). The real problem for me was that - from around the Adventure-Unleashed period, the whole Gone Out of Control/Got Screwed Over/Etc Etc happened way too many times to count. From around 2002 to 2009, Ivo only made the rank four times throughout those years... and the latter two were with Nega. If the ratio was a bit more fair and balanced, that would be fine. No worries.

Yeah, this.

I don't mind others villains so much as I mind other villains that are a direct result of Eggman's failure to control the latest monster/robot/power source of the week. 

If another villain just arrives - independently of Eggman's involvement - fine! But this constant theme of "Eggman tried to be the big bad, but then lost control" really grated on my nerves back when they reused it over and over. (Though it occasionally led to some cool moments, like being playable during Sonic Advance 3's final fight)

I do enjoy seeing Eggman stand up to other villains, but so rarely does he actually do it effectively, often getting knocked aside comically before he can even put a dent in them. I think this is why moments like Advance 3 (or even, to use a Sonic X example, versus Dark Oak) rank higher on my list, because Eggman - despite not being the primary antagonist in those situations - fights back and effectively damages the new foe, rather than being portrayed as useless or inconsequential in Sonic's conflict with said foe.

• Thumbs Up 1

Oh, of course (even if I disagree with the Sonic X example). Advance 3 is one of the better examples for me since he at least got to do something that time (and because it was a 2D game and didn't happen as often, I was more forgiving towards it.)

• Thumbs Up 2

I am completely fine with Generations' story.

I mostly agree with this. On one hand, it's hardly the worst story in the series since I still believe ShtH and 06's still hold that title, but on the other hand, it definitely feels it could've been much more. And this is coming from someone who really had no big expectations for it or things like, "Oh, I hope they reference this because I like that!" 

Though I consider myself pretty easy-going when it comes to things like this, I do empathize with those who were disappointed with Gen's story and find it a perfect example of having too little story =/= a better story.

• Thumbs Up 1

I just thought it needed more jokes and references. But that's all.

People are going to hate me for this. I don't like the classic games at all. I don't find them as immersive and I find them restrictive. This is most likely due to being born in 1994 so I never grew up with them.

*puts up flame shield*

People are going to hate me for this. I don't like the classic games at all. I don't find them as immersive and I find them restrictive. This is most likely due to being born in 1994 so I never grew up with them.

*puts up flame shield*

I can discredit that theory. I was born in the same year and I like the classic games.

Then again, I did actually play Sonic 1 on my Dreamcast a lot.

I can discredit that theory. I was born in the same year and I like the classic games.

Then again, I did actually play Sonic 1 on my Dreamcast a lot.

I never played them until about 2006ish, quite surprising really.

I grew up with the games during my childhood and I have the least incentive to play them versus nearly any other Sonic title. Even Sonic 06 gives me vague curiosities sometimes of how much I can tolerate it nowadays before rage quitting, but the Classic games don't give me much excitement anymore. As much as I blame the Internet for stymying that passion, I also think I was actually much too young to really appreciate them versus later games, where I was still a kid but was aware and lucky enough to experience the graphical jump and all of the potential, fun, and schoolyard discussion that came with it. Ultimately, that's where my nostalgia lies, not with the classics.

• Thumbs Up 1

I grew up with the games during my childhood and I have the least incentive to play them versus nearly any other Sonic title. Even Sonic 06 gives me vague curiosities sometimes of how much I can tolerate it nowadays before rage quitting, but the Classic games don't give me much excitement anymore. As much as I blame the Internet for stymying that passion, I also think I was actually much too young to really appreciate them versus later games, where I was still a kid but was aware and lucky enough to experience the graphical jump and all of the potential, fun, and schoolyard discussion that came with it. Ultimately, that's where my nostalgia lies, not with the classics.

That's pretty much how I feel, I grew up with the 3D ones so I find it hard to play the 2D ones. I can appreciate what they did but I don't consider S3&K to be the epitome of sonic games. 

*puts up flame shield*

Oh, don't fret. We won't hate you just for having a different opinion on something; just don't express it like a instigative jerk, and you're all good.

That said, I did officially get into the series with the Adventure titles, so I'm pretty much in the same boat as you and Nepenthe. SSMBers, you won't judge me negatively for that, right?

• Thumbs Up 1

I had Sonic 1, Sonic 2 and Sonic and Knuckles way back in 1994. I grew up on those. That was my only constant exposure to Sonic for 9 years.

And I still prefer replaying the 3D Sonic games.

Oh, don't fret. We won't hate you just for having a different opinion on something; just don't express it like a instigative jerk, and you're all good.

That said, I did officially get into the series with the Adventure titles, so I'm pretty much in the same boat as you and Nepenthe. SSMBers, you won't judge me negatively for that, right?

Sorry if I came across as an instigative jerk, it wasn't meant to be. It was just a "This is a really unpopular opinion" thing. Well on other sites at least, you guys are fine.

I think people probably just mean as long as you don't go "the classic games suck and you're all idiots for liking them!" then it's unlikely anyone will care too much.

I still love Sonic 3 dearly because it was the beginning of greater in-game storytelling which the 3D games have tried to capitalise on. I remember seeing Sonic Adventure on a Dreamcast in Electronic Boutique, playing a few levels as Sonic and Tails and thinking that it was the shit. I was late home from school because of it which got my parents worried.

Edited by EuroMIX

Technically speaking, my first game was Sonic 3 & K from the Sonic & Knuckles collection but I wasn't really a fan of the series until Adventure 2. That said, I got the Mega Collection because I was curious about the series` history and wanted to check it out. I spent hours trying to unlock Sonic 3 & K, and then when I did I spent more hours playing it. I've probably spent more time playing that game than any other Sonic game actually.

Its really all about preference; most people grew up with the Adventure series ports on the Gamecube so its only natural they would prefer the games from that era as opposed to the classic ones. I only played Sonic & Knuckles collection briefly as it belonged to my brother and my computer time was very limited back then.