Awoo.

Popular and unpopular Sonic opinions you agree and disagree with!

KHCast

Eh, still don't care for it being used in a boss fight personally. Live & Learn just happens to be one of the ones I never liked anyways, as opposed to Open Your Heart and What I'm Made Of.

I know, I was just saying my preference :P

• Replies 7.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Kuzu

• E-122-Psi

• CrownSlayers Shadow

• DabigRG

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

No, just no. I honestly wouldn't give two shits if SEGA revoked Archie's rights to use Sonic and therefore the comic ended. Mercy kill me thinks and a godsend to people who think that this comic has screwed with these characters for far too long.

Why mercy kill it when they have done pretty well with most of the game characters? It's a hell of a lot better than anything Sega has done with them. Not to mention if people have that much of an issue with it they can just not read/ignore it and let the people who enjoy, it enjoy it.

But that's how how I see it, so meh.

Edited by Gryo Man

This whole discussion reminds me, who was the jerk who decided that "Seven Rings in Hand" should be used for menus? I like the song, but after playing the game for a while you get really sick of it.

True, you hear it so much during the game that you literally just don't even care for it anymore when it plays for the final boss.

Why mercy kill it when they have done pretty well with most of the game characters? It's a hell of a lot better than anything Sega has done with them. Not to mention if people have that much of an issue with it they can just not read/ignore it and let the people who enjoy, it enjoy it.

But that's how how I see it, so meh.

I don't agree with the bolded part in any way, shape or form. I believe the opposite actually.

Penders has apparently took back quite a few characters with hefty and fundamental roles. Things like brain injuries and planned homosexual reveals were put into affect in order to change characters abruptly rather than give them clever character development. I just said that I couldn't give any less of a damn if it was killed off.

Unpopular opinion topic?

I don't agree with the bolded part in any way, shape or form. I believe the opposite actually.

Penders has apparently took back quite a few characters with hefty and fundamental roles. Things like brain injuries and planned homosexual reveals were put into affect in order to change characters abruptly rather than give them clever character development. I just said that I couldn't give any less of a damn if it was killed off.

Unpopular opinion topic?

To be fair, the comics are way past all that crap now. Penders hasn't wrote for the comics for a really, really long time, so I don't see why you're hating the comic because of him now.

Edited by Sky The Destroyer

Penders is just the most common (and more recent) problem and in no way means there's still some things to be said with the comic's current writing.

Plus, if' there's a comic that does a better job fleshing out the game-world, it's Archie-Mega Man.

Mega Man has the benefit of being new and not having 20 years of comic continuity to work with, lol

Edited by Gryo Man

Hence why I find it a better interpretation because it doesn't rely on pre-existing continuities to tell a decent story and characters.

To be fair, the comics are way past all that crap now. Penders hasn't wrote for the comics for a really, really long time, so I don't see why you're hating the comic because of him now.

What? I'm not hating the comic for what Penders has done nowadays, I believe that the withdrawal of pretty important characters has a very feasible negative impact on the comic because they're so fundamental to the current storyline.

I'll give current Archie one thing; Current writing is a step above Penders' and Boller's crap. But it still has massive issues and is nowhere near as good as it's often proclaimed to be.

This whole discussion reminds me, who was the jerk who decided that "Seven Rings in Hand" should be used for menus? I like the song, but after playing the game for a while you get really sick of it.

I went into Sonic Rings loving that song and came out detesting it for that reason.  I mean, I don't literally detest it, but I've heard it so much that I just never feel like listening to it and anytime I hear it, I'm like "Oh, that song."

I don't regularly read the comic, so forgive my doopidity but...

wait what

I don't regularly read the comic, so forgive my doopidity but...

wait what

How to make Charmy more like his scatterbrained games' incarnation according to Archie?

Don't keep him the way he's always been in the comic. Change him for no compelling reason by giving him what is effectively a brain injury by exposing him to an Egg Grape! I actually know of a few people who have expressed offense to that actually because they perceive it as an insult to real people with brain injuries/mental illnesses as Charmy's condition isn't treated seriously and is regarded with amusement.

How to explain Rotor's propensity for timidness and 'social awkwardness' according to Penders?

Reveal that he's actually a homosexual, which brings about some very unfortunate implications that Penders believes that gay people are prone to being social misfits and is a piss-poor attempt at explaining why a character is the way they are.

• Thumbs Up 1

Penders was gonna make Rotor gay

Seriously? XD

For the record I'm not laughing at the existence of a gay character nor do I have anything against the inclusion of one; I'm merely giggling at the silliness of the idea of Rotor suddenly becoming gay when there's been no indication of such a thing for the past twenty years.  Like Verte said, it sounds like just a cheap way to shoehorn dynamic characterization and a false sense of depth.

"Hey, Ken, we need to think of a way to add more depth to our characters, make them seem more three-dimensional if you will."

"I know.  Let's make one of them gay.  Because gay people by definition are full of depth!"

"Brilliant, sir!  We'll get to work on inventing a gay character right away!"

"No need, Higgens.  I already have the perfect candidate."

Personally I'm the guy who says that while Penders overall does suck, I don't mind his little trivia snippets. Rotor being gay would have been awesome. I don't care if it reeks of being there for the sake of being there, I'd honestly like that.

Also. Sonic's name shall forever be Ogilvie Maurice Hedgehog to me. I do not care WHAT Ian Flynn says.

Personally I'm the guy who says that while Penders overall does suck, I don't mind his little trivia snippets. Rotor being gay would have been awesome. I don't care if it reeks of being there for the sake of being there, I'd honestly like that.

I wouldn't mind Rotor suddenly becoming gay if that were just a thing about him.  Again, I don't read the comics enough to know, but from what I know, it doesn't derail his character too much since I don't think we see too much of a romantic side from him, so he could be of any orientation for all we know.  What I'm laughing at is mainly the idea that Ken would want him to suddenly become gay in order to explain a character trait that you were probably not wondering too much about in the first place.

What Ken thinks Sonic fans should think:  "Wow, why is Rotor so awkward?  He can't just be a naturally shy person, there must be some sort of inner-demon he's fighting with.  Oh wow, in this issue it's revealed he's gay!  That explains so much!  This comic is soooooo deep!"

Of course, I'm not against characters having backstories which explain who they presently are, but there's a line between character going through an accumulation of trials and tribulations that shape them into the person they ultimately become and just haphazardly forcing the character trait in to seem brooding and deep, or as is usually the case for Archie Sonic, so Ken Penders can forcefully publish his personal headcanons.

Edited by Akito

*Breaks absence to respond to verte's post*

...boy did you you pick a good day to do this! I just got back from trawling the internet for Archie stuff!

Let me start by saying I'm not here to change our opinion. I'm just here to add to this little debate with my own opinions and observations. Let's begin - I don't agree with the implication Ian is just as bad as Ken. Ken is far worse, and I'm sure others will agree (and others will disagree). Most of Ken's side of the "X years later" stories are mainly spent by the characters doing really trivial things while there's a threat to the world. Compare to Ian's side of things - 221 may be a relatively clam issue, with no real "threat" but there's still tension as NICOLE feels outcast, and Mina's concert unintentionally causes the public to turn against the AI.

The real problems in Flynn's writing - not to say it's not without flaws, the characters' speech acting as "Meanwhile" boxes being a personal pet peeve of mine - really come when he's forced into doing things. Sega won't let Eggman win for over one issue? - Sonic miraculously saves Everyone. Lenders might actually win the court case? - remove Rob 'o hedge and Lien-da from the on going plotlines. Charmy's nothing like his game counterpart? Make him brain-damaged.

Which brings me to my final point. Some of the more rapid archie sonic fan say the games should become more like the comic. What's actually happening is the reverse - Flynn is trying his hardest to work though most of contradictions that originate from the comic - not just those of Penders, but those of SOA and of the original comics - to make it closer to the games, but that the same time trying to keep the same elements and characters that the fans of the comic love. That's no easy task.

Finally before anyone brings up that one panel as a way of showcasing how "out of character" Archie Sonic is, here it is with the panels that came before and after. Form whatever opinions you want about about the comic, but do it with the full picture, please (Not targeted at you Verte, more the general public).

2319935-sonic_236_3.jpg

SONIC_236-7-620x.jpg?t=1335424205

Not trying to change anyone's opinion, just throwing my two cents in.

Edited by Paradoxical Paradise- Left

Let's begin - I don't agree with the implication Ian is just as bad as Ken. Ken is far worse, and I'm sure others will agree (and others will disagree).

*Sighs*

When did I imply or say that I thought Flynn was as bad as Penders? I said the opposite; The current comic is a big step above Penders' and Bollers' crap. All I said was that I believe that it's nowhere written as well as it's claimed to be.

There's still silly re-characterizations and ass-pull retcons of character's histories, still blatant favoritism and glorifying of certain characters (Look no further than Sally) and still large issues with the way characters are portrayed.

*Sighs*When did I imply or say that I thought Flynn was as bad as Penders? I said the opposite; The current comic is a big step above Penders' and Bollers' crap. All I said was that I believe that it's nowhere written as well as it's claimed to be.There's still silly re-characterizations and ass-pull retcons of character's histories, still blatant favoritism and glorifying of certain characters (Look no further than Sally) and still large issues with the way characters are portrayed.

My sincere apologies. I guess my brain just went "someone said bad about Archie! Defend Ian Flynn!"

And I will agree fully with your above post. Archie Sonic is not better - or worse - than the games. Both have their highlights and their big downpoints. Despite Flynn's attempts to unify they're practically different things. And that's one of the reasons why people love and loathe the comics. Different strokes!

So... I'm agreeing with you now.... Hmm...

*Disappears again.*

Edited by Paradoxical Paradise- Left

I disagree with the notion that Sonic Battle is a good game. The story is extremely cheap and repetitive. Beat up this guy 5 times. Now beat him up 10 times or beat up a stronger version of him. There are moments in the game where you have to play in 1v3's(and you're the 1) and to add insult to injury, sometimes the 3 are powered up making the fight all the more cheap. Emerl doesn't gain good moves and point fast enough or at a good enough speed. If Emerl doesn't have good moves/a high point count. Guess what? you have to grind. The game doesn't really work on the Gameboy advance either. The game would have had massive improvements if released as a DS game. For example, the extra buttons would have let you do much more, 4 buttons isn't enough for a fighter.The DS' extra capabilities would have made for much more interesting 3d environments and much nicer sounding music.

I disagree with the notion that Sonic Battle is a good game. The story is extremely cheap and repetitive. Beat up this guy 5 times. Now beat him up 10 times or beat up a stronger version of him. There are moments in the game where you have to play in 1v3's(and you're the 1) and to add insult to injury, sometimes the 3 are powered up making the fight all the more cheap. Emerl doesn't gain good moves and point fast enough or at a good enough speed. If Emerl doesn't have good moves/a high point count. Guess what? you have to grind. The game doesn't really work on the Gameboy advance either. The game would have had massive improvements if released as a DS game. For example, the extra buttons would have let you do much more, 4 buttons isn't enough for a fighter.The DS' extra capabilities would have made for much more interesting 3d environments and much nicer sounding music.

I think most of us will agree that Battle was an objectively terrible game, but I still got a kick out of it.  I mean, all the flaws you pointed out are there are and are irksome, but for some reason, it's not enough to keep the game from being enjoyable.

But then, I haven't played the game in so long, so I might learn to hate it if I played it now.

• Thumbs Up 1

I like the game though I will admit those story mode fights (especially the one in the crossing location that you can almost always accidentally activate if you like pressing buttons like I do) can be very annoying especially when the computer doesn't really put up much of a fight unless its a team battle or a free for all when they can all gang up on you.

I like the game though I will admit those story mode fights (especially the one in the crossing location that you can almost always accidentally activate if you like pressing buttons like I do) can be very annoying especially when the computer doesn't really put up much of a fight unless its a team battle or a free for all when they can all gang up on you.

My least favorite part of the story is that you never play as Gamma, aside from me loving Gamma in general, he's probably the best character in the game. His moves hit hard, isn't too slow, and he explodes upon death(the explosion does quite a bit of damage).

I don't like the idea of a run button in Sonic games. It makes movement too binary. I think it's better when the player has to build up speed rather than holding down a trigger for top running speed.

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't like the idea of a run button in Sonic games. It makes movement too binary. I think it's better when the player has to build up speed rather than holding down a trigger for top running speed.

I agree, personally I would like a middle ground. 

You can leave the run button that's fine, BUT have it where you have to build up speed before you can go at a faster pace. 

This would fix problems of accidentally flying off a cliff or running full blast into an enemy. Who knows, since this is sort of the "experimental" game for the new gameplay style I'm sure that they will polish and refine it as much as they did the boost gameplay from unleashed-generations.

I guess you would rather Sonic using the boost then instead :)

I understand the reasoning behind the run button in Lost World (giving the player more control over Sonic) and as shown in many 3d Sonic's, it can be quite difficult to nail down control or even limit the level design to maintain control (forced 2d section or auto-mantic segment for example).  Sonic doesn't need on at all in the classic games (or even in the Adventure tittles to an extent) because they were built with maintain momentum and your speed in the danger-filled zones.  The issue with the Adventure games though was the camera (especially in Adventure 1) so this mentality didn't work as well as it should, so Sonic Team started making levels more lenier to maintain control, but that didn't work either (again, camera issues in Adventure 2, Heroes, Shadow, 06, ect). 

The point of the run button in Lost World is to avoid these issues and make the game more enjoyable; lets see if this mentality works when the game comes out :)