Awoo.

Popular and unpopular Sonic opinions you agree and disagree with!

KHCast

Another reason why Colors doesn't gell with people is because....Sonic comes off as a bit of a jackass, and not the likable kind. Ok, we all know Sonic likes to get under people's skin with his taunting, that's his thing and it just wouldn't be Sonic without that taunting. I love that about him, it gives him some edge while still ultimately being likable as a character, and its enjoying to watch Sonic make people squirm and I'm glad Colors gave it back.

Now here's the thing, Sonic usually taunts characters that usually deserve it, like ya know Eggman. But if you look at Eggman's track record for the past few games, the conflict is disproportionately in Sonic's favor...like the entire time. In Colors, Sonic basically wins after the first boss and even if it didn't, you get the feeling that he's always in control and that there's really nothing Eggman can do to stop him, and.....that's exactly what it is. Eggman literally does nothing to get the upper hand over Sonic as he's destroying generators left & right, he just throws a tantrum. Why does this make Sonic a jackass? Because its essentially bullying at this, yea Eggman did some bad things but the game treats it like nothing Sonic can't handle, yet he still finds the need to taunt him despite his control over the situation.

Its like boasting about a competition you've already won; we all know you're gonna win, further gloating just makes you like a conceited asshole. Now if Eggman had more chances to actually one up Sonic throughout the plot, then Sonic's taunting would come off as boldly charismatic because he's taunting in the face of impossible odds.

Its a sort of payoff; when Eggman gets one over on Sonic, you have a reason to want Sonic to succeed and make due on his boasts. The payoff is finally beating Eggman. Its a balance, but in this case the conflict is overwhelmingly in Sonic's favor because Eggman hardly slows him down at all, so we all know Sonic is going to win anyway. Like, at this point what are you rooting for Sonic anyway?

Now here's how you address this; Actually have Eggman be able to win for a fucking change and actually succeed in hindering Sonic's efforts to stop him, this way we have a reason to root for Sonic. Make him win in the most impossibly cool ways, and not out of contrived plot conveniences(I really hate how the plot in Colors was resolved, its such a Dues Ex Machina of epic proportions). There, Sonic looks cool while boasting, and he looks damn good while doing it.

• Thumbs Up 9

• Replies 7.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Kuzu

• E-122-Psi

• CrownSlayers Shadow

• DabigRG

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Now here's how you address this; Actually have Eggman be able to win for a fucking change and actually succeed in hindering Sonic's efforts to stop him, this way we have a reason to root for Sonic. Make him win in the most impossibly cool ways, and not out of contrived plot conveniences(I really hate how the plot in Colors was resolved, its such a Dues Ex Machina of epic proportions). There, Sonic looks cool while boasting, and he looks damn good while doing it.

This would also have the effect of being decent/good build-up to Eggman's status as a final boss. What utterly let down Colours' final boss for me regarding Eggman's status as it was the fact that it's in no way decently worked up-to in the story, which completely undermines his status as the final boss. Even Unleashed was far, far better at making the Egg Dragoon an awesome boss not just because it was one hell of a machine to fight and was immensely satisfying to rip-apart but because Eggman's constant threats and his actions over the course of the story made him satisfying to take down. That was a fantastic example of a good Eggman boss despite not being the final boss, not Colours' poor excuse for one.

• Thumbs Up 1

Eggman won in sonic riders even though that victory was pointless and Sonic Chronicles ended with him shooting down the ship sonic and the others were in

[great post]

It's really no wonder Eggman's starting to lose it, the point where his classic self was concerned about it.

You know, this reminds me of issue 200 of the comics, where Sonic basically rips into Eggman as he's kicking his ass. It resulted in the guy pretty much snapping (for a while, anyway). It'd be interesting to see that in the games, including Sonic's guilt over it.

What does that have to do with anything? He didn't say anything about the character being unnecessary.

Because a lot of people call Chip stupid for taking Tails' spot, hence why I said it in the first place?

Eggman won in sonic riders even though that victory was pointless and Sonic Chronicles ended with him shooting down the ship sonic and the others were in

Chronicles ain't canon and whatsmore, it's only copious stupidity on part of the characters that puts Eggman in that position in the first place.

I don't consider Chronicles' ending to be any real example of Eggman's dangerousness simply because it never happened and because it's ridiculous.

Chronicles ain't canon and whatsmore, it's only copious stupidity on part of the characters that puts Eggman in that position in the first place.

I don't consider Chronicles' ending to be any real example of Eggman's dangerousness simply because it never happened and because it's ridiculous.

That, and it happened completely offscreen

Unpopular Opinion(?): I think Team Rose's team blast is adorable and I giggle everytime I get the chance to use it.

When I first played Sonic Heroes, everyone in the room cringed when they saw Team Rose's team blast, so that's the only reason I'm listing it under "unpopular."  I don't know the general consensus within the fandom, but I've always thought pretty much anything that involves Cream and Big being described in a positive light was immediately the "unpopular" opinion.

On the reverse side, I thought Team Chaotix's team blast was funny the first time around... but having to sit through it every single time was kind of annoying.  The game really could have benefitted from having randomly-generated animations for Team Blasts instead of just the one over and over and over again, especialy for Team Chaotix since next to Team Rose, their team meter is the easiest to fill.

Although, really, the game could have benefitted from having the team blasts be actual actions you perform (a la Chaos Control and Chaos Blast in ShTH) as opposed to a cinematic "Press Z to Deal Massive Damage" mechanic.

• Thumbs Up 1

Team Dark's blast was annoying, as the resulting Chaos Control was more of a curse than a blessing as doors wouldn't open, platforms wouldn't move, some switches didn't activate properly, and you spend so long waiting it out.

Team Sonic's Light Speed attack afterwards while the meter goes down was much more useful than it ever was in the Adventure games, if only because enemies had life bars and taking out an Egg Hammer (helmeted) in a single hit is satisfying as all fuck.

Oddly, during Metal Overlord's fight, the Team Blast can be seen in one of three different angles, but that's about it.

Edited by Semi-colon e
  • Thumbs Up 1

Team Dark's blast was annoying, as the resulting Chaos Control was more of a curse than a blessing as doors wouldn't open, platforms wouldn't move, some switches didn't activate properly, and you spend so long waiting it out.

I hate the loudness of it.  Like Team Chaotix, at first it's cool because you see all the destructive firepower and hear all the craziness and think "Wow, I'm doing a lot of damage," but as you go along and discover it's just an automated mechanic, it loses appeal and sort of just becomes noise.  Also, yeah, the temporary time freeze really impairs your ability to get an A-rank on many of the bosses. =/

Sonic and co. gave him the victory, its not a proper win if the entire thing is just handed to you right at the end. Why do people count this as a victory in Eggman's favor, he still loses in the end anyways because his entire scheme/plot/methods/goal was pointless and made him feel more disappointed rather than accomplished.

• Thumbs Up 4

Chip never stole Tails' so-called 'role' in Sonic Unleashed. He was also not, in any way, shape or form, "Shoehorned in"

I'll just post here what I said on one of my latest stamps;

Probably the #1 ‘justification’ of the typical Chip/Light Gaia hater. Either that or it's high on the list. The claim that he ‘stole’ Tails’ role as Sonic’s friend and whatsmore using that as their reasoning that Unleashed’s story or hell, even the game as a whole was “crap".

First-off, Sonic is entitled to have close friends other than Tails. Tails has been a near-constant player in the games for 16 years before Chip and his very cool and well-written friendship with Sonic was introduced in a single game. Why be so offended by this? It’s not like he even constantly shunted Tails aside either in Unleashed because Tails was in the game too! That’s more than what Knuckles and Shadow can say. And even today, you Sonic-Tails bromance lovers, me included, are having your cake and eating it! Does Colours ring a bell? Some fans would love to see Sonic’s other friends even get half of Tails’ roles and such in games today. Tails being slightly sidelined in a single game is not the end of the world and is not a fault of Chip as a character.

Secondly, Chip was absolutely imperative to the game and he was written into it very well. Sonic Unleashed had a running theme. The cyclic nature of death and rebirth, the duality of light and dark, both of which pertain to Chip’s nature and existence. And no, claiming that the character should have been written-out because the story could’ve been written multiple other ways including for the sake of including Tails more is not only disregarding the game’s awesome theme but is also disrespectful to the nature of writing as a whole. You can literally undermine every story and the fundamental nature of writing by claiming that they can be written in ways specifically to suit your prejudices.

Thirdly, Chip’s utilization as a character brings out the wonderful traits that Sonic has as a character and it even advances the plot. Sonic leads himself to believe that the reason as to why he doesn’t lose himself in Werehog form is due to Chip’s influence and yet as Chip himself states, this isn’t true; Sonic’s willpower and innate goodness is what prevents him from succumbing to Dark Gaia’s influence. Not only does this endearingly prove that Sonic is pure and good and whilst he does have behavioural changes to an extent in Werehog form they don’t really affect him on a deep level but it proves that Sonic is oblivious to his own good traits and how they protect him, which shows how second-nature goodness is to him despite his shortcomings i.e short temper, impulsiveness.

Did he need a reason to help a friend? No. He didn’t. That’s Sonic for you. It was an amazing cutscene that, the game’s theme. Chip's nature and Sonic’s and Chip’s relationship considered, couldn’t have been elaborated-upon by any character other than Chip.

Chip even saved Sonic’s bacon twice, the first time right after Sonic selflessly told him to run after Dark Gaia had forcibly ripped-out it’s last piece and clearly seriously injured him.

I’m just sick of Sonic Unleashed and Chip being crapped-upon for this most ridiculous of reasons.
  • Thumbs Up 5

I hate it when people claim that Chip "stole Tails' role," and Verte pretty much nailed all the reasons why.  It brings to mind an incredibly and kind of distressing pet peeve that seems to be getting under my skin more and more lately:  Stupid tweens that think that characters should only care about the people they ship the character with.

As an example, in the episode of Teen Titans episode "Aftershock, pt. II" NINE YEAR OLD SPOILERS.

Terra betrays the Titans and towards the end of the episode threatens to kill Beast Boy.  The remaining Titans surround her and threaten to avenge him if she goes through with it.  Raven remarks "it will be the last thing you ever do."

Now, I'm not going to deny that there is obvious Raven/Beast Boy "shipteasing" in the series, but what grates on my nerves is that every comment on the episode talks about how Raven said that line because "she likes Beast Boy."  Shipping aside, do you think she wouldn't have said that if she didn't?  Do you think that if their relationship was 100% platonic, she would have just said "It'll be the second to last thing you ever do?"  Some even go further to suggest that she shouldn't care about him in the first place since, according to them, she and Robin would make a better couple.  That's a little disconcerting and speaks volumes of one's character.

This is a bit different because it's not necessarily shipping, but "bromancing" or whatever is the popular term for it.  The fact that some people think Sonic can only have one "special friend" as opposed to many is appalling and the fact that many people believe Sonic shouldn't have cared about Chip in the slightest is baffling.  The way I see it, all of Sonic's friends are special to him.  Tails may his best friend, but that doesn't mean he doesn't cherish his other friends.

And the great thing about Sonic is that it doesn't take a long time to develop this kind of bond.  Sonic and Chip didn't know each other for that long, but in the short time they spent together, they really developed a close comradery that's just endearing.  Also, I guess they missed the memo that Chip basically "dies" so, it's only natural for Sonic to care more about him at the moment than Tails, whose life was not in any inherent danger.

Now, I have a super, terrific, best friend that if something happened to, I would be beyond devestated, but that doesn't mean I don't appreciate my other friends, and if I knew that I may never see another of my friends again, I'd probably temporarily sideline my best friend to spend as much time with the other as humanly possible.  If I didn't, that would sort of make me an asshole.

But this isn't the pet peeves topic, so I'll digress on that.  As I've said before, Sonic Unleashed has many narrative flaws, but sidelining Tails isn't one of them.

Edited by Akito
  • Thumbs Up 3

I wouldn't necessarily say Chip sidelined Tails by himself, but you'd think Tails would go with them, but he doesn't because the developers want to focus more on Chip, when in character, Tails definitely would go with them on the adventure and be more than a chauffeur. It's like at the end of 06 where Sonic turns to Silver and Shadow to go Super, and it's like "why doesn't he go for Tails and Knuckles" (it's not like they didn't get super strong at the end of Heroes or anything), it makes sense for the gameplay to be the three main hedgehogs but it is out of character.

Edited by Semi-colon e
  • Thumbs Up 1

I wouldn't necessarily say Chip sidelined Tails by himself, but you'd think Tails would go with them, but he doesn't because the developers want to focus more on Chip, when in character, Tails definitely would go with them on the adventure and be more than a chauffeur. It's like at the end of 06 where Sonic turns to Silver and Shadow to go Super, and it's like "why doesn't he go for Tails and Knuckles" (it's not like they didn't get super strong at the end of Heroes or anything), it makes sense for the gameplay to be the three main hedgehogs but it is out of character.

That's a problem I had as well, but really, it all comes down to Sega's inability to write anything more than two prominent main characters and the villain and his henchmen.  Tails pretty much got the "Knuckles and everyone else" treatment in the game, which is a glaring problem, but not Chip's fault in any way.

Dread Fox is a better rapper than Hunnid-P. Dread Fox can at least rhyme consistently.

It really depends on who's the main character at the time; its a  video game series so it can only focus on but so many characters without getting bloated. Even if it would have been in-character for Tails to tagalong, he ultimately isn't important to the plot of Unleashed, so he can be ignored without much being loss. I mean would he have contributed anymore if he was in more scenes?

It really depends on who's the main character at the time; its a  video game series so it can only focus on but so many characters without getting bloated. Even if it would have been in-character for Tails to tagalong, he ultimately isn't important to the plot of Unleashed, so he can be ignored without much being loss. I mean would he have contributed anymore if he was in more scenes?

Maybe. Depends on what you give the characters to contribute as well as their purpose for being around. And with Unleashed having such a global crisis going on with the world split apart and Eggman and Dark Gaia's minions running loose, that alone is enough for the whole cast to contribute as well as having stronger world building since a world tour was also part of the game's theme.

So while Tails wasn't supposed to be in a leading role, he could have certainly done more given all that went on. Unleashed was by no means bad in storytelling, but as decent as it may have been there were a lot of missed opportunities to it.

• Thumbs Up 1

Maybe. Depends on what you give the characters to contribute as well as their purpose for being around. And with Unleashed having such a global crisis going on with the world split apart and Eggman and Dark Gaia's minions running loose, that alone is enough for the whole cast to contribute as well as having stronger world building since a world tour was also part of the game's theme.

So while Tails wasn't supposed to be in a leading role, he could have certainly done more given all that went on. Unleashed was by no means bad in storytelling, but as decent as it may have been there were a lot of missed opportunities to it.

But the theme of the game is also Sonic & Chip's friendship; in order for what you wanted to work as well as for the game to still function, you would have to downplay Chip a tad.

But the theme of the game is also Sonic & Chip's friendship; in order for what you wanted to work as well as for the game to still function, you would have to downplay Chip a tad.

You are not getting what I am saying, as I just said that Tails wasn't supposed to be in the lead role.

You asked if Tails would have contributed more if he was in more scenes. My answer is "it depends on what you give him to contribute", but given that you're going around the world trying to stop a global crisis there's a lot he could be given to do. No where does that say you should downplay Sonic and Chip's friendship, as (like i told you) Tails does not have to be in a lead role to take that away.

You are not getting what I am saying, as I just said that Tails wasn't supposed to be in the lead role.

You asked if Tails would have contributed more if he was in more scenes. My answer is "it depends on what you give him to contribute", but given that you're going around the world trying to stop a global crisis there's a lot he could be given to do. No where does that say you should downplay Sonic and Chip's friendship, as (like i told you) Tails does not have to be in a lead role to take that away.

Oh, well my original point was that even if you gave Tails more of a supporting role, he ultimately wasn't important to the plot so you could get away with ignoring him. 

Oh, well my original point was that even if you gave Tails more of a supporting role, he ultimately wasn't important to the plot so you could get away with ignoring him.

Except that's not how support characters work. They're not there to get away with ignoring them, they're there to support the leading and more important characters. If they're being ignored, then they're not supporting. Edited by ChaosSupremeSonîc

All a support character is is a character not primarily focused on by the storyline. Whether they support the main characters or not- like most of Unleashed's NPCs- isn't relevant to the inherent definition of a support character.

• Thumbs Up 1

Definitively-correct or not, there still lies the problem that they clearly want to include all these characters, but they don't know what to do with them.  Not all characters need to play an integral part of the story, but most of them feel lazily shoehorned into the script with little context or exposition to help them fit in.

Of course, from a marketing standpoint, there is literally no reason to not include the characters in some way or form since it's sure to get kids riled up regardless.  But just because they don't have to be more doesn't mean they shouldn't be.

All a support character is is a character not primarily focused on by the storyline. Whether they support the main characters or not- like most of Unleashed's NPCs- isn't relevant to the inherent definition of a support character.

Actually, it is. Otherwise there's no point in calling them "support" in the first place. They may not be important, but they're still playing a role in the narrative in supporting it and the lead characters.

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonîc