Awoo.

Popular and unpopular Sonic opinions you agree and disagree with!

KHCast

How would they bring them back if they were never part of the video game continuity or were never officially Sega(Sonic team)made characters?

well, they did show up in Spinball, but hey!

• Replies 7.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Kuzu

• E-122-Psi

• CrownSlayers Shadow

• DabigRG

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2. Amy Rose will NEVER be able to be the girl Sally was and that they should bring Sally back along with all the other Archie Characters.

Good. It's better than being a creator's pet of a Sue who thinks that Sonic ought to be her royal lapdog and as a character that even the writer kisses the ass of. Another thing I'll say for Amy is that she's also not a spotlight-stealing role-leech either.

The Archie characters can stay where they belong IMO; In their awful comic.

well, they did show up in Spinball, but hey!

That's just one cameo in a random spin-off game that's kinda styled after SatAM.

I sometimes wonder what Sonic 06 would be like if it wasnt so glitchy.

While I may feel that the Elise kissing Sonic scene is still ugh, looking back I gotta admit that it did have a good balance to where I could see it appealing to a wider age group.

All righty, here's one.

Good. It's better than being a creator's pet of a Sue who thinks that Sonic ought to be her royal lapdog and as a character that even the writer kisses the ass of. Another thing I'll say for Amy is that she's also not a spotlight-stealing role-leech either.

I'm not sure if this is a popular opinion or not, but Sally's character is an absolute tragedy to me. I LOVE this character and she's one of my favorites in this franchise as a whole. She's supposed to be a tough, no nonsense girl that can kick serious ass and be a little snarky She was entertaining to see.

HOWEVER. Over the years it has been butchered by over sue - ificaction,with obsessiveness and a horrible sense of judgement being the cherries on this crap sundae. It's like for every 20 small steps to try to fix or improve her character, one huge step backwards undermines the entire affair. I really want people to like Sally, but how can I defend the dignity of it when she's become a "flawless character?" It's a contradiction! Characters are supposed to be flawed! This balances them out and makes them more believeable. None of this has happened with Sally yet, and it really irks me as a fan of this character.

Ok. Rant over. happy.png

It would still be abysmal

While I may feel that the Elise kissing Sonic scene is still ugh, looking back I gotta admit that it did have a good balance to where I could see it appealing to a wider age group.

No amount of deglitchification could fix something that is inherently busted.

It would still be abysmal

No amount of deglitchification could fix something that is inherently busted.

As for the appeal to a wider age group. What modern sonic game in your opinion appealed to the widest age range? Edited by Random Rhyme 3rd Verse

All righty, here's one.

I'm not sure if this is a popular opinion or not, but Sally's character is an absolute tragedy to me. I LOVE this character and she's one of my favorites in this franchise as a whole. She's supposed to be a tough, no nonsense girl that can kick serious ass and be a little snarky She was entertaining to see.

HOWEVER. Over the years it has been butchered by over sue - ificaction,with obsessiveness and a horrible sense of judgement being the cherries on this crap sundae. It's like for every 20 small steps to try to fix or improve her character, one huge step backwards undermines the entire affair. I really want people to like Sally, but how can I defend the dignity of it when she's become a "flawless character?" It's a contradiction! Characters are supposed to be flawed! This balances them out and makes them more believeable. None of this has happened with Sally yet, and it really irks me as a fan of this character.

Ok. Rant over. happy.png

*Pats you on the back*

I feel the exact same way. It's indeed awful what happened to Sally under Bollers' and Flynn's pen. A terrible blight on an otherwise immensely likeable and formerly realistic character.

Shadow's another one of my absolute favorite character's who was ruined by terribad writing for quite a while. In these cases, I try to reserve my contempt for the character's writing, not the character itself. However, there are some characters who are just inherently loathesome alongside their horrid writing such as Scourge, Christopher Thorndike and Mephiles.

• Thumbs Up 1

^Ditto on that one, I like Sally as she was originally established, but she became sue-ified and frankly never quite returned to form.

Edited by Amomynous

Popular(?) opinion I agree with: The series needs more recurring locations.

And I'm not talking about tropes. So no, Green Hill 9.0 is not what I mean. I mean actual locations like Spagonia,Mystic Ruins,Station Square(maybe?). If the series is going to try and establish a canon, having some locations reappear in the series to make it seem more legit would be great. However, I wouldn't want to see the same location appear in every game. That would just get repetitive and boring.

• Thumbs Up 5

Theres a difference between personal opinion and critiquing. Critiques analyze something without any emotion. Whereas personal opinion is based upon emotions, ignoring facts and flaws over something you like. Not everyone likes chocolate ice cream, but that doesn't make chocolate ice cream bad. What I am about to confess is completely personal opinion.

I love Sonic Unleashed. To show how serious I am, I will shall use an emotocon. wub.png biggrin.png wub.png biggrin.png wub.png . There, that should do it.

Ok, I get that a lot of people saw Werehog as a step back for sonic and that chip was a bad replacement for Tails. But I disagree with all of this (I don't think Tails should be replaced, but I love Chip). I liked the whole around the world concept for the game. You could tell there was a lot of research put into the scenery and music for each place Sonic visited around the world. The music is amazing, capturing the sounds from around the world while being one cohesive soundtrack. I still listen to the CD to this day and have yet to tire of it. As much as people complain about werehog, at least he brought something new to the world of Sonic. I loved werehog's design and personality change in Sonic. It was also nice playing as werehog because you got to slow down and really enjoy the environments in the game. Which is hard to do when your running at the speed of sound. (Sonic speeds by a waterfall that took the game designers a month to make).

I can't help the fact that I love this game. If liking Sonic Unleashed makes me a bad Sonic fan, then gosh darn it so be it. Sure the game has its flaws, but its not the worst Sonic game out there. Surely loving Chip and Werehog cant be that bad a thing.

I mean listen to this music, its awesome!biggrin.png

Ok, thanks for letting me get that off of my chest. I'm good now.mellow.png

Edited by Neon The Hedgehog
  • Thumbs Up 2

I fail to see how critiques correlate to a lack of emotion. Critiques are criticism made in order help someone do better, and they can be just as emotive. And you don't always have to agree with it either, just take it into consideration.

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonîc

I agree completely with the criticism of the Deadly Six's design.

Slw-home-pusher.jpg

Am I seriously supposed to be threatened by these jokers? I mean, wow. No matter how serious some of the dialogue in Lost World may end up being, I'm going to have an incredibly hard taking these villains seriously. They just look way too cartoonish, which is a bit weird for me to say, as we're talking about a series about a blue hedgehog. The nickname "Skylander's Rejects", sums them up perfectly for me.

Edited by Chaos Incarnate
  • Thumbs Up 1

Allow me to raise a counter-opinion of mine:

I'll be blunt here: I vastly prefer the designs of the Deadly Six over that of every other "Monster of the Week" that the series has had over the years.

A villain doesn't have to look like an Eldritch Abomination to be intimidating within the context of the work (although I'm fine with the Monsters of the Week too). Remember King Candy? Yeah, he was right out of a freaking Hanna-Barbara cartoon, and then look what happened. It's all about the writing.

Speaking of the Monsters of the Week, I never felt any love loss over time in regards to them being the final boss instead of Eggman. This is mainly because I felt it ultimately didn't matter who or what the actual final boss was, the facts were: It would be big, it would be predictable in its attack patterns, and it would be beaten simply because Sonic has to win. Putting an Eggman skin on things didn't make Egg Nega Wisp or- even worse- Time Eater, any fresher, unique, or more innovative. In the end, I don't care what's the final boss. I would rather they just fix the mechanics instead. xP 

• Thumbs Up 2

I fail to see how critiques correlate to a lack of emotion. Critiques are criticism made in order help someone do better, and they can be just as emotive. And you don't always have to agree with it either, just take it into consideration.

Sometimes I have trouble expressing what I really mean. I was sort of going for "My love for Sonic Unleashed makes me blind to its faults (insert girlish squeal)". I dont know if that makes more sense for my point... Its kind of like how every one has a cartoon they watch that they know is either cheesy or badly drawn, but they enjoy it anyway.  

As for the appeal to a wider age group. What modern sonic game in your opinion appealed to the widest age range?

Pretty much every game except Sonic '06 and ShTH covers a much larger range of age demographics.  I disagree that the game had any sort of widespread appeal over multiple age groups.  To me, the game looked and felt like it only appealed to hormonally-challenged teenagers.  But then, I suppose it depends on what you're into.  Some adults are into light-hearted stuff, like me, and some are into darker stuff.  There's nothing really wrong with either approach, but the narrative is complete rubbish regardless of its atmosphere.

Also, as others have stated, I don't think repairing any of the bugs in the game would have saved it, considering many of the core gameplay mechanics were problematic in and of themselves.

Sometimes I have trouble expressing what I really mean. I was sort of going for "My love for Sonic Unleashed makes me blind to its faults (insert girlish squeal)". I dont know if that makes more sense for my point... Its kind of like how every one has a cartoon they watch that they know is either cheesy or badly drawn, but they enjoy it anyway.  

I think what you're looking for is that everyone has something they can not look at objectively.  I'm sort of the same way.  It's hard for me to look at a lot of classic games (aside from the obviously bad ones) from a critical standpoint because I was raised on them.  Whatever inherent problems they may have I can't fault them for because I've grown so used to them that they've never bothered me.  And there are those things that I have such an emotional attachment to that I simply can't critique or debate their quality properly, so yeah. =/

Edited by Akito
  • Thumbs Up 2

I agree completely with the criticism of the Deadly Six's design.

Am I seriously supposed to be threatened by these jokers?

Well not in the traditional sense of horror, but then again the old saying "Do not judge a book by its cover rears it's head."

Pretty much every game except Sonic '06 and ShTH covers a much larger range of age demographics. I disagree that the game had any sort of widespread appeal over multiple age groups. To me, the game looked and felt like it only appealed to hormonally-challenged teenagers. But then, I suppose it depends on what you're into. Some adults are into light-hearted stuff, like me, and some are into darker stuff. There's nothing really wrong with either approach, but the narrative is complete rubbish regardless of its atmosphere.

This.

Also if things are more lighthearted it will generally appeal to more people. Disney Films for example pretty much appeal to almost everyone, a horror film won't. If your going lighthearted and "kid friendly" you could have pretty every age playing the game, whereas something that's 18+ will appeal to less people (kids and even some adults) and even if a child does want a game a lot of parents wouldn't be happy with their child playing a game that they are under the age rating of.

Edited by Jolt_TH
  • Thumbs Up 2

In regards to the Deadly Six, I think they're just a wonderful breath of fresh air. That goes both for their design and role as villains. It's a complete change from the norm, and is one of the very few things I miss about the Storybook games. Now personally I think they all look pretty great to boot, so I'm totally happy with them.

Edited by Blue Blood
  • Thumbs Up 6

Here, have some unpopular opinions!

- I'm not a huge fan of the direction the series is heading in, both in story and tone.  I don't want another ShtH or Sonic '06, but I feel like it at least needs to have some more depth and badass moments again.  It irks me that Iizuka wants to continue the trend of "only Sonic playable, Wisps everywhere."

- I found Unleahsed to be a wonderful, charming experience and loved both its length and difficulty.  Yes, this also applies to the Werehog sections.

- I think it would be cool to see how Ryan Drummond's Sonic voice would have evolved today if Sega had kept him.

And now for some (somewhat) popular ones:

- I really do feel like the comics improved vastly when Ian Flynn took over.  They're so much more engaging and readable now.  I found it quite difficult for the writing styles of Bollers and Penders to keep my attention because they seemed far too wordy.

- Sonic 4 as a whole isn't a bad game on its own, but presentation- and design-wise the whole package comes off as a cheap, conflicted mess.  The episodes aren't consistent in gameplay or graphics, the animations and music are bland, and there were absurd shortcomings like having to press a button just to advance to the next Act or getting the spindash sounds backwards.  Plus, there was the whole debacle of using modern Sonic when they pushed for classic Sonic's return in Generations a year later.  I feel like the series should have either used classic Sonic or just not existed at all, and this is coming from a fan of modern Sonic.

Also, hello. smile.png  I'm somewhat new, as I had an account here years ago but forgot the password for it.  I figured I'd start fresh.

• Thumbs Up 5

Also, hello. smile.png  I'm somewhat new, as I had an account here years ago but forgot the password for it.  I figured I'd start fresh.

Welcome back, I hope you have fun here!

Anyway, I'm going to wait to play Lost worlds before critiquing it. But I have noticed for some reason Im not as excited about this game as I had been with other Sonic games. I don't know if its because yet again the Wisps are back or if its the Deadly six designs. But something seems to be off with Sonic Lost Worlds.

All characters, even villains need some sort of appeal. If not in their appearance, then in their personalities. And yet there dosen't seem to be much of that with the Deadly Six. But again, I don't know much about this game so maybe once I play it I will be proven wrong. I just hope Crush 40 plays a part in the soundtrack.

However I do like the 2d like designs of the backgrounds and some of the music I have heard for it sounds good as well. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Speaking of the Monsters of the Week, I never felt any love loss over time in regards to them being the final boss instead of Eggman. This is mainly because I felt it ultimately didn't matter who or what the actual final boss was, the facts were: It would be big, it would be predictable in its attack patterns, and it would be beaten simply because Sonic has to win. Putting an Eggman skin on things didn't make Egg Nega Wisp or- even worse- Time Eater, any fresher, unique, or more innovative. In the end, I don't care what's the final boss. I would rather they just fix the mechanics instead. xP 

It also didn't make either of those bosses satisfying by "merit" of being controlled directly by Eggman because the stories in no way, shape or form worked-up to him being a satisfying final boss and those bosses are made of pure banality anyway.

Why the hell should I take Eggman as a final boss seriously above a monster of the week when none of the characters do? And why should I praise Eggman's 'big bad final boss' status when he's not convincingly or competently portrayed as the 'big bad final boss' both in attack patterns and mannerisms? Didn't hear Eggman expressing the hope that Sonic's said his goodbyes, telling him to give up and die and expressing the dearest desire to rip him limb from limb in either the Egg Nega Wisp or the Time Eater. Didn't see him giving any real effort to actually destroy Sonic either in a particularly unrestrained way a 'la Egg Dragoon.

Would I be judged negatively if I said that I still like the Nega-Wisp Armor battle? I know it's not perfect (so don't even start on that), but I still think it's an enjoyable boss.

Edited by Komodin
  • Thumbs Up 4