Awoo.

Popular and unpopular Sonic opinions you agree and disagree with!

KHCast

Unpopular opinion; Sonic and the Black Knight has one of the best stories in the entire series.

Nearly everything about it is done really well. The pacing is wonderful, you never feel like the story is going to fast, nor too slow. The characters, are not only are they well characterized (Sonic in particular), but they all serve a purpose in the story. And even if that purpose is small (Blacksmith!Tails), it doesn't seem like they were just put in there just because SEGA could, or to please the fans.

I also love the little twists in the story. Remember that child that Sonic went and helped, even at the risk of failing Lady Nimue's test? Said child was actually Nimue herself to test the hedgehog and see if he really was a worthy person. Or, how about the aftermath of the final fight with King Arthur. You think the game's over, that you've ended up fighting a lackluster final boss. Nope. Merlina was just using Sonic to get the 'king's' scabbard so she could prevent the kingdom from spiralling down to ruin. Really unexpected that.

The dialouge is actually pretty good and Sonic's character shined under the pen of this writer. I don't know who wrote the story, but they did a superb job in making Sonic have some depth and dimension as a character, in a way that has not been matched since.

In my opinon, future stories need to take a page from Black Knight's book in how to do a good, enjoyable storyline.

I think the only thing I can actually fault SatBK's story for is tentative plot aspects that weren't really explained. But even then, considering the plot aspects I'm on about take place in the future of that realm, it could be said that they didn't need explaining in immense detail. Merlina forsees her world falling due to presumed civil war and tries to do something about it in an extreme way without regard to others. The story isn't really detracted-from just because certain details are vague.

Character actions believably bring-about plot points without looking the least bit contrived or forced. It's simply excellent how Sonic's views on heroism is utilized to advance the plot. It's really well-prioritized writing from both a narrative and characterization standpoint.

The Knights and Caliburn/Excalibur treat it as though it's something very bad though, that Merlina's actions would result in countless sacrifices of others and Sonic's rebellion against her stemming from his own hatred of one-sided sadness and his dislike of the idea of a world that won't end. Some of Excalibur-Sonic's and Excalibur's scrapped voice clips are really interesting, they co-ordinate their criticism of her awesomely.

I'll also add that SatBK also had some of the absolute best dialogue in the series as well.

• Thumbs Up 5

• Replies 7.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Kuzu

• E-122-Psi

• CrownSlayer’s Shadow

• DabigRG

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think I came to a realization.

I didn't hate Heroes/Shadow/2K6 merely for having Eggman betrayed, indisposed, or otherwise barred from main-villain status. I disliked those stories because it felt like the writers just kinda... didn't really know what to do with Eggman, and sorta put him in because they had to before mostly sweeping him under the rug and under-utilizing him.

Games like Unleashed and (apparently) Lost World may have had Eggman lose the spot as primary antagonist, but they're written by people who really get what makes Eggman such an entertaining character, and thus in these games Eggman is very prominent and actually seems like something other than an afterthought. Similarly, I loved Colors and Generations as well, but I think that was less simply because Eggman was the main antagonist, and more because he was written and utilized very well as a character.

This.  I'm okay with the occasional change in primary villain, as it fleshes out the world and makes it more dynamic.  But that doesn't mean you can't write the side characters well even when they're sidelined.  That was my main complaint about Tails with Sonic Unleashed a few pages back.

One unpopular thing that many others may not agree with,but some may is that being a Sonic fan myself, I dont think any Sonic game is just horrible and that such and such game should never have been made or be made. I hear stuff like this all the time and it does bother me. In my opinion, we should be happy for every sonic game that we get, because what if it eventually did end and he was no more. I know games have their faults and believe me, I see many faults in some of the games, but I would never wish them or the sonic series to just disappear like I see so many people online say sometimes.

• Thumbs Up 3

One unpopular thing that many others may not agree with,but some may is that being a Sonic fan myself, I dont think any Sonic game is just horrible and that such and such game should never have been made or be made. I hear stuff like this all the time and it does bother me. In my opinion, we should be happy for every sonic game that we get, because what if it eventually did end and he was no more. I know games have their faults and believe me, I see many faults in some of the games, but I would never wish them or the sonic series to just disappear like I see so many people online say sometimes.

That's a good positive thought, Mr. Prower. Nicely said. :) Every time I hear someone say the Sonic series should just end, I die a little on the inside.

• Thumbs Up 4

This just hit me in the feels. I completely agree. I just started playing Sonic games again, after not playing oh since Sonic Heroes. (Recently beat Generations though) Anyways, I used to say that exact thing; stuff that a lot of other fans thought like "what is Sega thinking with all these bad Sonic games?" and the classic "Where is Sonic Adventure 3?"

I came to realize that I could be taking the series for granted, which made me want to start playing the ones I had missed.

Edited by GOAT
  • Thumbs Up 3

First time playing sonic 06, I enjoyed it. I knew how weird  the controls felt, slow. stiffy, but i ignored it. 

When I first fought silver, it was easy, after i realize that you can't go near him unless he is attacking you with chairs or tables, that's when

you attack. I never got stuck in a wall with silver. so it never bothered me.

Shadows vehicles, those are messed up lol. it was difficult controlling those vehicles, mostly the hover car and the glider. The jeep and motorcycle were not too bad in some levels. 

The mach speed sections.......were pretty fun.....................except crisis city.

I work my way around the weird controls like not being able to move in the air. but crisis city. it has problems, main thing about that level is the goddamn camera! I have to make sure i'm in the middle and not moving before the camera switches in front of sonic and switching back. but those was the only stuff that bothered me. but hey I beat the stage eventually and i get that joy, after beating a difficult stage, until I realized that the game was messed up and it was not me failing so much.

Me and brother seemed to enjoy multiplayer. We were disappointed  that the train station stage was not there because that stage was so fun.  aquatic base was a pain. That one part. The floating balls that we had to roll on, and it's so hard to avoid the lasers. Me and my brother were goofing off at the part screwing each other to make sure neither of us makes it to the next check point.

final boss was okay, I guess.

The game is still broken, but ya' know It can't stop me from having a great time. can it?

Edited by jordine

That's pretty much my opinion on both Sonic and a few other franchises.

Sure, I can be disappointed at some of thie missteps Sega takes the franchise in, but my love for the franchise as a whole ultimately makes it hard for me to imagine a world where the games are no longer made, no matter how terrible some ofthem may be.  But that is to say, I only find a few of the games to be really "terrible."  The rest range from "okay" to "outstanding" in my opinion.  While I have my own opinioin on which way I'd like the series to go (which it seems closer to that lately more than ever), I don't think the direction they're currently going is terrible or that the series is spiraling downhill, as was the popular notion back in the 2004-2010 mindset.

Edited by Akito
  • Thumbs Up 1

That's pretty much my opinion on both Sonic and a few other franchises.

Sure, I can be disappointed at some of thie missteps Sega takes the franchise in, but my love for the franchise as a whole ultimately makes it hard for me to imagine a world where the games are no longer made, no matter how terrible some ofthem may be.  But that is to say, I only find a few of the games to be really "terrible."  The rest range from "okay" to "outstanding" in my opinion.  While I have my own opinioin on which way I'd like the series to go (which it seems closer to that lately more than ever), I don't think the direction they're currently going is terrible or that the series is spiraling downhill, as was the popular notion back in the 2004-2010 mindset.

I do agree that the series is moving a bit better than it did around the 06 time frame, but of course I do have my own opinion of what is considered a good direction for how things are going. While generations and colors are good games, their shortness and small stories really need to be improved to make them better games in my opinion. They are still good games, but if the series doesnt make a drastic increase in length in their games soon, the release date prices are often going to not be worth it. It would almost be better to wait the three months Sega games often take to price drop by half to buy them. The main reason I dont do that is I have to buy sonic games right away or else everyone on the internet spoils the games like crazy with no consideration for others.

Still, I love all the sonic games and never want them to just end or for all characters to just go away like I've seen so many in the past want. As long as this series never ends, I'm sure there will be another game I like as much as I've liked in the past. Its still all good to me.

Unpopular: Sonic Chronicles character models aren't awful to me. They have this perplexing charm. They look so cute and hilarious. Especially Knuckles. Everytime I see that character model I can't help but crack a smile. Those adorable little eyes!

Unpopular opinion; Whilst Sonic has fairly minimal character development and has been constantly labeled a goody two-shoes who can do no wrong (Despite that being utter nonsense), I still love the character and most of his portrayals anyway. It isn't wrong to put great stock in a characters endearing traits and put them on the highest of pedestals just because the way they've been handled is questionable or because their portrayals don't live up to your exact expectations.

I frikkin' love Sonic as a character and will continue to do so unless Sonic Team really fuck over his character.......which they haven't consistently done at all. Ever since SatSR I've become fascinated by his quirks and highly endeared by his pleasant and heroic mannerisms despite others claiming that he's boring and trite and not well-utilized because despite the so-called negatives of the character and his portrayals, he's still entertaining and interesting and I have a decent degree of faith in Lost World to portray him interestingly going by his impulsiveness-induced mistake and Ken Pontac's very intriguing quote that possibly indicates how Sonic will make-up for his idiocy.

So in short, Sonic freakin' rocks despite not getting the best character development.

• Thumbs Up 8

Unpopular opinion; Whilst Sonic has fairly minimal character development and has been constantly labeled a goody two-shoes who can do no wrong (Despite that being utter nonsense), I still love the character and most of his portrayals anyway. It isn't wrong to put great stock in a characters endearing traits and put them on the highest of pedestals just because the way they've been handled is questionable or because their portrayals don't live up to your exact expectations.

I frikkin' love Sonic as a character and will continue to do so unless Sonic Team really fuck over his character.......which they haven't consistently done at all. Ever since SatSR I've become fascinated by his quirks and highly endeared by his pleasant and heroic mannerisms despite others claiming that he's boring and trite and not well-utilized because despite the so-called negatives of the character and his portrayals, he's still entertaining and interesting and I have a decent degree of faith in Lost World to portray him interestingly going by his impulsiveness-induced mistake and Ken Pontac's very intriguing quote that possibly indicates how Sonic will make-up for his idiocy.

So in short, Sonic freakin' rocks despite not getting the best character development.

What I love about Sonic is that he sort of has the best of both worlds.  In some games, he can be just a goody two-shoes, and in others he can be charming and compassionate.  In my perfect world, we'd have a healthy balance of plain, old goody good heroism with little dashes of other personality dimensions sprinkled every so often in between.

The only time I've hated Sonic as a character is in Sonic '06. But then again, there's barely any character there to dislike, hence my...dislike? @_@

Seriously though, for the most part I like him just fine. I'm happy to see the current writers are showing an interest in exploring his more negative qualities and also demonstrate that his actions can have consequences. Haven't seen that since, what, Unleashed?

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm just going to quote what I said on another topic for my opinion on Heroes

I know Sonic Heroes isn't really the Sonic franchise at it's finest, but I just can't muster up anything but general liking for it. It's defiantly because it was basically my first introduction to Sonic. I was only 6 years old when my brother got it for his birthday. At the time, the only reason I knew what Sonic even was was because of Sonic X. Now, we all know that kids aren't the best at judging movies, games, etc. If the controls are sloppy, you just think you're the one doing it. If the levels are too long and boring, you just think that you have a short attention span. You don't know the general factors of a good game, so you really can't judge it until you learn them. I had a good time playing Sonic Heroes when I was little. I sucked at it because I was 6 years old, but it was fun to me and I couldn't see it as anything other than a good time.

I know saying this makes me sound dumb, but I know it has issues, and for some reason I just still enjoy it today.

My second opinion is about Sally. I'm pretty sure that she was discussed on this thread a few pages back.

My philosophy is this; if a character is a Sue, it's the writer's fault. She has potential to be a well thought out, awesome, likable character. She could be witty, kick-ass, sarcastic, etc. but she can't be. Why? Because she's smart, beautiful, wise, friendly, perfect, and hatable. Everything about her gives off a holier-than-thou when compared to other characters. Always wiser, smarter, and better at everything. Sally knows best, because she's Sally. If there's one thing that readers hate, it's a glorified love intrest that's always perfect and doesn't show the slightest trace of likability.

• Thumbs Up 1

tumblr_mscr7tf0031ry06joo1_400.pngtumblr_msd6uc6Iee1ry06joo1_400.pngtumblr_msd7j1zLKq1ry06joo1_400.pngtumblr_msd7l9JJMi1ry06joo2_250.png

Unpopular opinion; This is not Sonic to me.

This will never be Sonic to me. The real Sonic has a sweet and kind element to his character whilst having a definite edge to him, short temper and some propensity for snark that is never intentionally spiteful even arguably towards Eggman, more along the lines of playfulness. This...parody is mean for the sake of being mean.

This only stands as an example of how not to write Sonic to me.

Sonic is not a blank slate on which to force extremely contrary behavior on for the sake of fulfilling the varying tones of a dialogue tree. He's a character with a well-established personality, a personality that can be believably portrayed in a varied manner without making him OOC. Unleashed did this very well in regards to branching dialogue with NPC's. Chronicles has no excuse nor did it ever have an excuse even as an RPG.

1 - Sonic doesn't act like this regardless of how many Sonic haters like to claim that he's a jerkass who hates Amy and use this (Thankfully non-canon) shit as ammunition for their arguments.

2 - Sonic is not a character who can be morphed into something like this. It's downright disrespectful to the character and a complete disregard for his entire established personality.

What makes this shambolic dialogue even more pointless is how it never affects the story in any way, which just goes to show how very pointless it is and is precisely why this copious character derailment is so arbitrary and pointless.

As a Sonic aficionado and massive fan of his personality and character, Chronicles just pisses me off. Even the 'positive' dialogue choices are OOC!

• Thumbs Up 8

tumblr_mscr7tf0031ry06joo1_400.pngtumblr_msd6uc6Iee1ry06joo1_400.pngtumblr_msd7j1zLKq1ry06joo1_400.pngtumblr_msd7l9JJMi1ry06joo2_250.png

This will never be Sonic to me. The real Sonic has a sweet and kind element to his character whilst having a definite edge to him, short temper and some propensity for snark that is never intentionally spiteful even arguably towards Eggman, more along the lines of playfulness. This...parody is mean for the sake of being mean.

Sonic is not a blank slate on which to force extremely contrary behavior on for the sake of fulfilling the varying tones of a dialogue tree. He's a character with a well-established personality, a personality that can be believably portrayed in a varied manner without making him OOC. Unleashed did this very well in regards to branching dialogue with NPC's. Chronicles has no excuse nor did it ever have an excuse even as an RPG.

1 - Sonic doesn't act like this regardless of how many Sonic haters like to claim that he's a jerkass who hates Amy and use this (Thankfully non-canon) shit as ammunition for their arguments.

2 - Sonic is not a character who can be morphed into something like this. It's downright disrespectful to the character and a complete disregard for his entire established personality.

What makes this shambolic dialogue even more pointless is how it never affects the story in any way, which just goes to show how very pointless it is and is precisely why this copious character derailment is so arbitrary and pointless.

As a Sonic aficionado and massive fan of his personality and character, Chronicles just pisses me off. Even the 'positive' dialogue choices are OOC!

I think they were trying to appeal to, or some people liked it because they're fans of Sonic being a d!ck. I don't know why people praise his personality in the OVA, which seems really similar to the Chronicles version of Sonic, because he isn't very likeable. I'm just not a fan of Sonic being a jerk in general. Do they really want us to root for Sonic when he's acting the way he does in that little dialogue snip it (and probably the whole game?)

I don't know why people praise his personality in the OVA, which seems really similar to the Chronicles version of Sonic, because he isn't very likeable.

How so?

OVA Sonic was great. He had the short temper that many of game Sonic's manual profiles attest to whilst also being a real friend and protective figure to Tails despite his very occasional annoyance with his tendencies as well as the determinator aspect. I actually kinda wish that game Sonic took a leaf out of OVA Sonic's book to some extent.

How so?

I haven't watched it in a while, but I recall him being overly cocky, not taking anything seriously, and being mean spirited at points. Sorry if I can't elaborate, I just remember not enjoying it much and I don't want to go back to it.

However, I do recall him feeling sympathy for Metal Sonic at the end, so I'll give him points there.

Just curious. what are your thoughts on Sonic in the OVA?

I haven't watched it in a while, but I recall him being overly cocky, not taking anything seriously

AKA "being Sonic". Being cocky is pretty much integral to Sonic's character, and that leads naturally into not taking things seriously (because he knows he's good enough to handle it).

And I can't think of any point in it where he's actually being mean. Like, he gets mad at Tails being loud when he's trying to chill, but as soon as he realizes he's in trouble, he jumps in to help.

• Thumbs Up 1

AKA "being Sonic". Being cocky is pretty much integral to Sonic's character, and that leads naturally into not taking things seriously (because he knows he's good enough to handle it).

And I can't think of any point in it where he's actually being mean. Like, he gets mad at Tails being loud when he's trying to chill, but as soon as he realizes he's in trouble, he jumps in to help.

Notice how I said "overly cocky." Cockiness is an essential part of his character, but I don't like it getting shoved down my throat.

OVA!Sonic is never intentionally mean, he may get annoyed with Tails and irreverent to basically everyone else but he never hesitates to save them or thank them for their help.

The OVA is probably the accurate and balanced depiction of Sonic ever.

OVA!Sonic is never intentionally mean, he may get annoyed with Tails and irreverent to basically everyone else but he never hesitates to save them or thank them for their help.

The OVA is probably the accurate and balanced depiction of Sonic ever.

I'm really surprised that OVA Sonic is so well liked, maybe I ought to go back and rewatch it. I'll have to suffer through Martin Burke as Sonic, but I've been through worse.

>"Unpopular Opinion"

>Is an extremely legitimate complaint that most people would agree with

This kind of stupid characterization makes it all the more feel like Chronicles was written by a six-year-old who doesn't understand the complexities of a character.  Like, have you ever had a relative who has asked why Sonic continues to rescue Amy when he's shown that he "doesn't like her?"  Yeah, that's the kind I'm talking about, and it only shows how little research the developers did when creating the game.

Also, on the subject of OVA Sonic, I think he was a pretty accurate portrayal pre-SA1.  Nevertheless, I prefer him in his present personality:  Cool, a bit cocky, but kindhearted and patient.  But I can see the appeal of him being a bit a jerk, too, and I don't mind that interpretation in the slightest.

• Thumbs Up 2

Notice how I said "overly cocky." Cockiness is an essential part of his character, but I don't like it getting shoved down my throat.

How do you make a character cocky without it being at least a little abrasive?