Awoo.

Popular and unpopular Sonic opinions you agree and disagree with!

KHCast

Unpopular Opinion I agree with #1 - Ian Flynn should write for the games.

As much as I love Ken Pontiac and his team, they've been neutered by SEGA into writing Saturday Morning fare when you know they are capable of so much more.

That's because they've only been re-writing an already written script during Colors and Generations. Lost World is the first one they originally came up with for Sonic Team instead of the other way around.

• Replies 7.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Kuzu

• E-122-Psi

• CrownSlayers Shadow

• DabigRG

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Flynn writing for the games is a fast way for them to go downhill. I think Flynn is an ok writer, but he's mainly good with dialogue while his plotting is....questionable, so I don't think he'd really do the game any more justice than they currently have.

• Thumbs Up 2

I think the only reason some people are saying it takes place after 3 &K is because Sonic 4, or at least Episode 2, could be viewed as a direct sequel to CD. A good point I see people making is that it wouldn't make much sense for Eggman to leave Metal Sonic in Stardust Speedway for a long period of time, which could make sense, he wouldn't leave him there as long if it took place after 3. I still agree that it takes place after 1: Sonic hasn't mastered the spin dash yet, as it's less effective than it is in Sonic 2, his design is the exact same as it is in Sonic 1, and Tails doesn't make an appearance( don't view his appearance in the Taxman remake canon).

I haven't played episode 2, so its really hard for me to judge it for myself really. Download title and all. I know Metal Sonic is in the game, though I really couldn't say one way or the other. If CD takes place after 3, then it does, if it takes place before 2, then it does. Really, either way doesn't bug me as long as it is in there somewhere.

As for Ian writting for the games, it doesn't matter to me. If he could make the games have more story than beat Eggman, then I would be all for it. If it wouldn't be anymore but the same thing as it has been in these last two games, then no I wouldn't want him in there. Just give me a good story to get behind other than just Eggman didn't something bad, lets run through lots of levels super quickly and beat him and thats it.

Isn't executive meddling a major reason why Flynn's plotting is bad in the first place?

Isn't executive meddling a major reason why Flynn's plotting is bad in the first place?

Before I came here, honestly, the only bad stuff I had ever heard were due to people meddling yes. From what I've seen, read, and been told, he looks to have improved things much more over time with his writting. People keep trying to blame him for some of the things that are happening lately, when I'm pretty sure he said it was out of his control and he is being forced to write the way he is at the moment.

Here's my unpopular opinion. Ian Flynn might be bad at plotting shit but he's always made the characters entertaining, so I wouldn't really mind if he just wrote the dialogue for a Sonic game.

• Thumbs Up 1

While I give Jason Griffith flack for his Shadow voice, and his Jet the Hawk voice is incredibly grating, I still hold the opinion that he's the best voice Sonic has ever had. Ryan Drummond fit the character well, sounding like a hip energetic teenager, but he worded some of his lines a bit awkwardly, and while Roger Craig Smith had a much better start than Drummond or Griffith, having good acting chops, his voice is just too deep for Sonic in my opinion. Jason Griffith did have a pretty crappy start both animation and game wise (Sounded a bit nasally in Sonic X, felt like he was just reading from the script in Shadow the Hedgehog), he impressed me a lot from Secret Rings to Black Knight, his exit. He sounds exactly how I would expect Sonic to sound: a youthful, committed teenager that may be cocky and care free at times, but he's still compassionate and dedicated to get the job done. It's weird how he took a U-turn from being flat out awful to making me sad when I found out he had gotten replaced after the peak of his performance in Black Knight.

• Thumbs Up 1

I swear to god, comedic his crew was meant to be, Jet's voice didn't fit him at all to me.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm a Jet fan and even I think his original voice is awful. His new voice though reminds me of Jason Marsden, especially his Shere Khan voice, and before looking it up I thought it was him.

• Thumbs Up 3

I'm never cared for Jet for a long time, one of those likely rather obvious from the look of me. His voice was always annoying as well. His character may be ok, just not fleshed out as much as it could be. Its a bit better in the comics, but only so much. So, other than the name, I would place him somewhere as just an average character, He just needs more fleshing out in all honesty.

Unpopular opinion regarding VA's.

Evidenced from posts above mine I can see that the subject of voice actors is still a debatable one. Ultimately while voice actors play a key role in bringing out a character, over time I've seen this as less of a priority. If anything else there is the lack of character to be built upon and brought out as the series progresses.

In summary I don't really mind any new VA's as long as they keep the personification of character(s) true to what's been established (I'm sure the staff at Sega share this sentiment to an extent). So far I have no major issue with any current VA's.

Unpopular opinion regarding VA's.

Evidenced from posts above mine I can see that the subject of voice actors is still a debatable one. Ultimately while voice actors play a key role in bringing out a character, over time I've seen this as less of a priority. If anything else there is the lack of character to be built upon and brought out as the series progresses.

As far as I'm concerned, the VA's will always be subject to debate and for good reason  They give a character of one their most defining characteristics, so it's only right that their portrayals be given the dignity of discussion.  That being said, I'm glad that the fanbase has evolved past the flame wars and death threats that would ensue at the very mention of the voice actors.

In summary I don't really mind any new VA's as long as they keep the personification of character(s) true to what's been established (I'm sure the staff at Sega share this sentiment to an extent). So far I have no major issue with any current VA's.

I actually really love the new voice actors, with the exception of a few, and consider them to be the best overall set we've ever had.  That is to say, though, it's hard to fairly compare this set to Drummond and the gang because they sadly didn't have the luxury of improved direction and consoles that could actually run their sound files without glitching up.

Edited by Akito

When it comes to music, that is often just all a matter of opinion and taste, at least the way I see it. Some people would much prefer open your heart to live and learn just based on game preferences, could be type of music or many other things. I know they are slightly similiar genre's, but really, to me, its just a matter of preference to which is better than the other or if they are both equal.

When it comes to music, that is often just all a matter of opinion and taste

Try telling that to Dubstep detractors.

What's that? Not sure I've ever heard of it, and if I should have, sorry XD

A genre of music that catches a ton of heat these days.

On the subject of the VA's, all of the new ones sound good (though I will miss the unleashed crew) though I absolutely just despise shadow and amy's they're really the only ones that sound of character (especially amy she doesn't even really sound as exciting anymore).

Also, as an extremely unpopular opinion I still can't really see the big problem with shadow the hedgehog besides dialog and part of the story, most of the flaws that people state seem kind of non-existent (except for the slippery control thing) and its a pretty solid game too.

It has bad writing, un-memorable music(varies in peoples taste), horrible game-play, horrible control, bad level design, meh to terrible bosses, is repetetive, and makes the one gimmick of the game entirely pointless. Its repetetive: Play the game 10 times to beat it. Bad gameplay: Kill or find "x" amount of "noun here" and tons of Backtracking Bad boss fights: Homing attack Weak, Gun fire Strong, attack-attack-attack-dodge-Repeat. Bad control: Shadow is too slippery, Vehicles are too stiff and too slow, auto-lock on doesn't always work. Bad level design: Boring, no multiple paths, nothing worth exploring for, Flat and dull looking areas. Morality based game-play: Cool concept...Freakin' meaningless!!! Useful for replayability for different endings, mandatory to get all the endings and beat the game.

• Thumbs Up 1

I think all the hate for Sonic '06 over the game play was kind of unwarranted... I mean the problem I had with it was the stupid as all shit idea of a continuity reboot and the fucking stupid story of this pseudo Mario save the princess and the world BS happening 5 times! I mean I do kind of look at the story in games that try to be story driven, and sonic '06 failed. But its not the worst sonic game I've ever played, that would be SA2... I really don't like that game...

I think Im the only one who actually likes the Sonic Game Gear games, i.e. Sonic Labyrinth, Sonic Blast, and Sonic Drift. The only ones I don't like are the Tails series and Mean Bean Machine

I'm no big fan of SA2, but I wouldn't say it's that bad.

I'm just saying when I played SA1 I saw potential. When I played SA2 I just saw lazy game design and a really bad story... Not as bad as Sonic '06 mind you, not nearly as bad.

Shadow the Hedgehog is the worst Sonic story ever written IMHO, even more than 06's. At least that game had the decency to somewhat wipe itself from the timeline, even though it still technically happened. Although Shadow's spinoff game has never been referenced at all afterwards, It's still canon, and screws with Shadow's backstory by adding aliens into it for no good reason, which was never even hinted at in Adventure 2.

There's also the idiotic GUN commander I can't stand, who holds an irriational grudge against Shadow when GUN where the ones that killed Maria. Then he decides to work for GUN, genius idea.

I love how the game wanted to make a big mystery out of whether or not Shadow in the game was the real deal, but it must not be too important if it isn't revealed until you take too long on the final boss.

I can only really give this game props for trying to tie up loose ends from Adventure 2, but when unnecessary shit like the GUN commander thrown in, Shadow wondering if he's an android even though he encounters characters he knew in Adventure 2 like Sonic and Rogue who knew his backstory but kept their mouths shut, and flat out contradictions like Prison Island showing up, I can't find myself liking it more than 06's plot.

Edited by Chaos Incarnate