Awoo.

Popular and unpopular Sonic opinions you agree and disagree with!

KHCast

"Look at all those Eggman's robots"

Does this sound even remotely grammatically correct to you? While I do like Colors but not afraid to call out its flaws, this is...no. Terrible jokes aside, Colors I can tell isn't just translated dialogue from the Japanese script.

There's a difference between grammatical correctness and what the line is getting across; Tails' noticing the presence of Eggman's robots. Which is a sentence that makes sense for the context.

Colors simple plot came after the likes of shadow and 06(which were trying way to hard to be taken seriously) and unleashed which while a good plot in my eyes a lot of people didn't like it

You're forgetting the Storybook games. Which at least had competently-told, interesting stories and thoughtful, non-exaggerated characterization.

• Thumbs Up 4

• Replies 7.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Kuzu

• E-122-Psi

• CrownSlayers Shadow

• DabigRG

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I can't think of any line in Colors that doesn't make sense in context. Jokes that aren't funny, sure. Non sequiturs, not really.

Colors does seem to flow alot better than Heroes definately and make a bit more sense, it is just so short is all. There is nothing wrong with simple stories at all, but if you cut the gameplay way down and take out reasons to keep playing, I honestly think no matter how good the story is, the game won't be as good. Gameplay always comes first, then story, then graphics. Never put graphics first on a list. If you concentrate there, you are likely not going to get anywhere, aka EA and such like that.

As long as we can keep the gameplay fun and then even if we are going to go with a simple story, even though I would rather a long complex story in pperson opinions, the games can still be fun as long as everything flows correctly and doesnt just get dull or lacking is all. Colors has a good short story, but it is just too short. Unleashed has the replayability and much longer gameplay, but while the story is ok, it lacks in a few areas. Now, just take those two elements and merge them and I think we would have something great on our hands.

Colors does seem to flow alot better than Heroes definately and make a bit more sense, it is just so short is all. There is nothing wrong with simple stories at all, but if you cut the gameplay way down and take out reasons to keep playing, I honestly think no matter how good the story is, the game won't be as good. Gameplay always comes first, then story, then graphics. Never put graphics first on a list. If you concentrate there, you are likely not going to get anywhere, aka EA and such like that.

As long as we can keep the gameplay fun and then even if we are going to go with a simple story, even though I would rather a long complex story in pperson opinions, the games can still be fun as long as everything flows correctly and doesnt just get dull or lacking is all. Colors has a good short story, but it is just too short. Unleashed has the replayability and much longer gameplay, but while the story is ok, it lacks in a few areas. Now, just take those two elements and merge them and I think we would have something great on our hands.

I don't particularly care about story simplicity when it comes to judging or what I expect from a Sonic game story. SatSR's story was rather simple and yet, in my view, it succeeded on multiple fronts because it made great use of the plot points it sets up, has a well-done sense of progression, it's premise is intriguing and it utilizes the characters and their relationships very well. Simplicity is not some inherently bad thing when it comes to stories.

I care about whether or not the story is competently told.

Colours was not a competently-told story amidst it's other problems. Hence I gave it a fairly average/low score.

Story simplicity is not and will never be an excuse for disregarding the basics of storytelling; Good development, a well-established sense of progression, no plotholes, being able to care about the villain's victims and therefore get invested in the hero's crusade and view the villain as someone who really needs to be taken down and is satisfying to take down etc are something I expect really on basic principle.

• Thumbs Up 1

Since everyone is giving their opinions on the story in Colors, I guess I might as well too.

Sonic Colors story: 6/10

I don't get the high amount of praise this story gets from everyone. I've seen a lot of fans acting like it's the best Sonic story since Adventure 2, and while I wouldn't call it terrible, it doesn't hold a candle to Secret Rings, Black Knight's, and Unleashed's stories. 

I actually do think the humor works quite well in some cases, like the Cubot voice chip malfunction, which might be an in-joke at the constantly changing Sonic voice casts, and from what I can hear from the Eggman announcements in various stages, they're quite hilarious. Problem is, Colors is constantly trying to shove humor in your face from one scene to the next, with lines that make me flat out cringe, like the translator error running gag and Sonic's insults thrown at Eggman, like "Baldy Mcnosehair." Ugh.

I've grown to like Sonic's personality in this game, even though he goes way overboard on his cockiness sometimes. He's been fighting Eggman for years and constantly wins, so I can see why he doesn't take anything seriously here. His conversations with Tails actually feels real, like they've known each other for years and really are bro's. In a lot of the previous games, I feel like Tails was only there to spout exposition, and while that's partly true here, he still has some good lines, like calling out Sonic for talking to a destroyed robot. I also like that he dives in front of Eggman's mind control beam to save Sonic's ass, but that problem is dealt with quickly. Talk about missed potential there, having Sonic forced to fight Tails. 

I really don't give a shit about the Wisps, to be honest. I guess Yacker is cute in a plush doll sort of way, but all they really do is get freed and rescue Sonic at the end. I guess that's fine and dandy, but if we really got a sense of urgency in saving them, I would have liked to see more interaction between them and Sonic. 

So while Colors does get the Sonic/Tails bromance and some of the humor right, it doesn't really feel like it's trying hard to be much other than "free a bunch of random aliens you barely get to see in cutscenes and laugh at a bunch of half assed jokes."

I don't particularly care about story simplicity when it comes to judging or what I expect from a Sonic game story. SatSR's story was rather simple and yet, in my view, it succeeded on multiple fronts because it made great use of the plot points it sets up, has a well-done sense of progression, it's premise is intriguing and it utilizes the characters and their relationships very well. Simplicity is not some inherently bad thing when it comes to stories.

I care about whether or not the story is competently told.

Colours was not a competently-told story amidst it's other problems. Hence I gave it a fairly average/low score.

Story simplicity is not and will never be an excuse for disregarding the basics of storytelling; Good development, a well-established sense of progression, no plotholes, being able to care about the villain's victims and therefore get invested in the hero's crusade and view the villain as someone who really needs to be taken down and is satisfying to take down etc are something I expect really on basic principle.

Of course. Always try and finish the story. I do think some of these stories were not told well enough definately. You need to actually tell the story and not just glaze over it to where it seems like you didn't even try on it. I definately think Colors could have used alot more. That as I said is something I feel colors should have spent more time on because the game is just too short and it feels a bit rushed in some places due to the short length of the game.

I don't get the high amount of praise this story gets from everyone. I've seen a lot of fans acting like it's the best Sonic story since Adventure 2, and while I wouldn't call it terrible, it doesn't hold a candle to Secret Rings, Black Knight's, and Unleashed's stories.

My theory: people (mostly critics probably) liked it for its simplicity. All Colors' plot is is just "Eggman kidnapped some aliens, stop him", with the main cast consisting of only Sonic, Eggman, and Tails - no friends involved (Orbot and Cubot don't count, and Yacker does pretty much nothing nor does he have a voice to annoy people with). At a time when the last three titles involved him going into a book, turning into a werewolf, and going into a book, this time with a sword, each time getting people that weren't Knuckles involved, critics adored the change of pace Colors brought.

Or something. I really don't see Colors' story getting much praise these days, especially here.

That being said, I couldn't care less if the plot is barren; I like the gameplay, I love the music, that's all I need. A good plot is just icing on the caek.

• Thumbs Up 2

Ironic that in the 3DS version both tails try to fight the time eater but in the hd version they(along with everybody else) did squat

Ironic that in the 3DS version both tails try to fight the time eater but in the hd version they(along with everybody else) did squat

Remember, they had the most important role: pep rally. Consistant, never ending encouragement, and warning.

• Thumbs Up 1

Most people seem to agree this is bothersome, though it seems to be glossed over somewhat because of Sonic Generations lack of story; that really isn't an excuse, it isn't even an explanation, if characters are going to be that useless why are they there?

Time to tell you what I'm actually talking about: One thing I despise about Sonic Generations is how the other characters are treated so much like they’re mere collectibles.

It’s particularly painful when Sonic’s unconscious and they just stand there cheering, these are characters that can fight, seriously outnumber Eggman, all of them have a bone to pick with him for destroying time and space and a fair number of them would have a serious problem with the fact Sonic is hurt. It’s so bloody cheap, these characters abilities and in some cases, loyalty to their friend is completely glossed over just so Sonic can be injured so unable to fight and then still save the day. 

Because if they did anything, people would bitch about them taking the spotlight away from Sonic. Of course, doing nothing at all gets their ire for not doing anything, so it is a lose-lose situation. Better to just ignore those guys and do whatever is necessary for plot development and gameplay, not what the ire of excessively bitter and butthurt "fans" scream about.

P.S. Not you guys, you know who I mean.

Generations treats the cast with such apathy that you can tell that Sonic Team did it just to satisfy the crowd that wanted to see them again, without actually know why they wanted to see them in the first place.

• Thumbs Up 3

If they wanted to include those cast members, they should have done a lot more with them yes. They just stuck them in there for the sake of sticking them into the game. This is where they have gotten so much flack in the past. If you are going to use them, just make it fit and people likely won't care if they are there helping or not. When you just stick to stick, people notice it and how it doesn't seem to fit properly in your storyline you are working at.

I just think of Generations as fanservice: the game. Everyone and everything in the game was put in without much thought as "This will please the fans of (insert character)." or "People who loved X game will love Generations because we put a level from X game into it!"

Except fans of the Game Gear...

... the hell's a game gear anyway?

Remember, they had the most important role: pep rally. Consistant, never ending encouragement, and warning.

I never thought I would see the day that Shadow would become a cheerleaderblink.png . Since he is not good with the whole "happy pep" thing. This is shadow on a good day -> angry.png

In all seriousness I did love generations. Do I miss other character gameplay? Sure, but I don't mind the spotlight being on the blue blur either. I get that Sega is trying to figure some things out story wise and is working from the ground up. Focusing more on Sonic than the others.

Personally I thought Sonic colors was alright. As some of you said though my only complaint would have to be that it was a tad short. This is going to sound weird but since the wisps are returning I kind of wish they were items instead of aliens. Because if they were items that power up sonic then they could fit into any kind of sonic story. Like the rings and emeralds that meld seamlessly into the many frontiers Sonic travels to. Think about it, could aliens have fit into the past games like Black Knight and Seven Rings? I guess what I am getting at is that if the wisps are a permanent attachment to the games, I don't want them to stop the story from trying new things because they are aliens. 

people likely won't care if they are there helping or not. 

You'd be surprised how much they'd care.

... the hell's a game gear anyway?

I got the feeling the Game Gear is something Sega would like to forget because I remember something about someone asking Takashi Iizuka about levels from the GG games being in the 3DS version of Generation and he just laughed and said "no".  Again it's just something I read somewhere.  Don't quote me on this.

I got the feeling the Game Gear is something Sega would like to forget because I remember something about someone asking Takashi Iizuka about levels from the GG games being in the 3DS version of Generation and he just laughed and said "no".  Again it's just something I read somewhere.  Don't quote me on this.

They must not be too ashamed of them considering how many Game Gear titles have been ported to the 3DS.

They must not be too ashamed of them considering how many Game Gear titles have been ported to the 3DS.

Nah, not that ashamed.  But not enough love to recreate levels from those titles for an anniversary game. Shame really, I would've loved to see an updated Sunset Park.

Edited by FireBird75

Yes. And annoying the player. Yes Knuckles. Yes Vector. Yes Rouge. Yes Amy. Yes everyone else. I know that looks like a homing shot. You don't have to constantly keep telling me this. Actually, why don't some of you get off your asses and help me defeat this Eldrich Abomination?

Seriously, screw the way the other characters were handled in Generations.

IMHO?

The other characters in Generations were incorporated so badly that it can easily come close to rivaling the way the characters were incorporated in SONIC '06 and that game is pretty much the epitome of character inclusion for the hell of it when you take into consideration that quite a few of them barely provide plot impetus, are bland to the nth degree and the manner in which Blaze's entire background was screwed-over for the sake of including her. Guess what? Gens Blaze doesn't even seem to know where the hell she comes from at all!

It's a disservice to the characters and truly indicative of how far their true purpose has fallen as far as influence as well as their overall utility when they're turned into generic cheerleaders who senselessly just stand there and egg the Sonic's to get up instead of, you know, joining forces and beating the shit out of the Time Eater. I mean these characters had a good a reason as any to exact their sweet, sweet revenge on Eggman considering his latest toy put them into what was effectively a state of living death and screwed with the fabric of time and space.

Popular opinion? I really am not getting good vibes from Knuckles' proportion changes in this Sonic Boom show.

I'm getting the inkling that his hefty frame which is notably taller and burlier than Sonic is quite possibly getting across the impression that Knux is possibly going to become 'dumb muscle'. A small charm about Knuckles' established design is that he's the very definition of huge power in a small package and it's a mildly cool thing that Knuckles has such raw strength for his size. A good example of this showing was whenever Knuckles took on Yellow Zelkova in Sonic X and could competently hold his own even against that huge Metarex commander which could look pretty awesome.

• Thumbs Up 3

Unpopular opinion: I really couldn't care about the whole Sola-Sonica thing, or how other characters are handled. Having them be back to their original selves would be nice, i guess, but eh...

Edited by Deathzcrybe

Here's a load of unpopular opinions I can think of off the top of my head:

• I absolutely adore Sonic R's soundtrack. It's not exactly fitting for a racing game, or really a Sonic game for that matter, but Tj Davis' singing voice feels so lively and pleasant, plus the feel-good lyrics are a massive guilty pleasure that always cheer me up when I'm feeling down.
  • The Sonic Adventure voice cast, while mostly good in Adventure 2, felt far too akward in Adventure and (mostly in Tails' and Team Rose's case) Heroes. Maybe It's because I grew up with the 4Kids cast watching Sonic X, but I always found the later voice casts an overall improvement( with the exception of Knuckles in both and Shadow with 4kids).
  • Adventure 2 and Colors are the most over rated games in the whole entire franchise. Only Sonic and Shadow are enjoyable to play as(although they have their fair share of frustrating stages, like Crazy Gadget and Final Chase), while the mech shooting stages get old really fast, and the treasure hunting stages are awful, since the radar is gimped by only being able to track one piece at a time. Treasure hunting and mech stages in Adventure 1> SA2 counterparts. Oh, the ranking system is utter shit too, expecting you to be almost flawless if you want above an E rank. Colors isn't too bad, and it's actually quite fun to replay at times, but the story isn't really anything special aside from the Sonic/Tails bromance. Also, the spring-based stages are no fun and hinder my excitement level, which is why I'm still stuck on Asteroid Coaster.
  • While I do think Knuckles is the most screwed over character in Sonic history, I have no problems with trying to add humorous elements to his character, like easily being shoved aside by Amy in Sonic Generations.
  • Kirk Thornton is my second favorite Shadow VA, second to only David Humphrey. Maybe I'm a little biased, but he sounded pretty cool in the rival boss fight in Generations, and his performance reminds me of Asimov from Cowboy Bebop.
Edited by Chaos Incarnate

I'm not a big fan of Blaze. She just simply doesn't appeal to me. I'm not saying she's a bad character, not at all. Just not my cup of tea.