Awoo.

Popular and unpopular Sonic opinions you agree and disagree with!

KHCast

I'm not a big fan of Blaze. She just simply doesn't appeal to me. I'm not saying she's a bad character, not at all. Just not my cup of tea.

And why is she not if I may ask, because she is my favorite female character. Her personality just seems cool to me, and she is a cat and I'm a cat person, not a dog person. I love cats A LOT!

• Replies 7.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Kuzu

• E-122-Psi

• CrownSlayer’s Shadow

• DabigRG

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Popular Opinion: Sega should really bring back Pickle into the Sonic universe. I really don't want him to be a one time thing. He can be a great asset to Sonic and co. Plus, I wouldn't mind if he was again as a collector of exotic items.

At this point, I honestly wouldn't mind if he was just referenced by someone in a cutscene.

• Thumbs Up 3

One opinion whose status I'm unsure of is my relative apathy to Sonic R. People LOVE this freaking game, and I can't really empathize. The racing mechanics are pretty bunk, balancing is nonexistent as picking Sonic is an insta-win, it's extremely short even with its extra content, the replay value suffers as a result, and the ever-lauded soundtrack does nothing much for me. Don't get me wrong: it's a cute little distraction, something I compare to my adoration of Sonic 3D Blast, but whilst I liken 3D Blast to a decent little side game to at least have one go-around, everyone else around me genuinely seems to gobble Sonic R up as something significantly worth praising, and I don't really get it at all. xP 

• Thumbs Up 3

I think most people know Sonic R isn't so hot but it just OOZES so much charm that you can't help but love it anyway. 

That's just my thoughts on the game, at least. 

And why is she not if I may ask, because she is my favorite female character. Her personality just seems cool to me, and she is a cat and I'm a cat person, not a dog person. I love cats A LOT!

She's too much like me. I may not be a princess, or the guardian of the Sol Emeralds, but we both have a lot of similar traits. I'm not a huge fan of myself, so...>.>"

One opinion whose status I'm unsure of is my relative apathy to Sonic R. People LOVE this freaking game, and I can't really empathize. The racing mechanics are pretty bunk, balancing is nonexistent as picking Sonic is an insta-win, it's extremely short even with its extra content, the replay value suffers as a result, and the ever-lauded soundtrack does nothing much for me. Don't get me wrong: it's a cute little distraction, something I compare to my adoration of Sonic 3D Blast, but whilst I liken 3D Blast to a decent little side game to at least have one go-around, everyone else around me genuinely seems to gobble Sonic R up as something significantly worth praising, and I don't really get it at all. xP 

Ditto the hell out of this.

When I first played this on Gems Collection, I was expecting something special given how a lot of the fandom treat it like it's a sparkling little gem in an era when Sonic was practically as dead as a doornail. It's all so banal. And yeah, it is very unbalanced. I question why all of the unlockable characters including Super Sonic are always your opponents if you use the Tails Doll. Which sucks so hard that it has a very hard job outracing it's superior opponents. Even Amy sucks mega hard and becomes practically uncontrollable when boosting.

It's incredibly short too and not at all challenging even when the game dictates that you have to win a race to keep a picked-up Emerald.

I've never known the fanbase to be particularly positive towards Sonic R.  I think most seem to agree that it's a broken, unbalanced mess packaged as a racing game with an ill-fitting soundtrack and bland overall presentation.  But I'll concede that I'd rather play it than some of the franchise's other blunders.  Probably because the suffering is short, even if you aim to collect all the unlockable content, whereas the other bad games are long and typically take forever.

Popular Opinion: Sega should really bring back Pickle into the Sonic universe. I really don't want him to be a one time thing. He can be a great asset to Sonic and co. Plus, I wouldn't mind if he was again as a collector of exotic items.

At this point, I honestly wouldn't mind if he was just referenced by someone in a cutscene.

I would love to see Professor Pickle act as sort of foil to Eggman.  Have a scene like "I told you, doctor, that cloning dinosaurs would have serious moral implications!  Why didn't you listen to me?!" and I'll be happy. ~@3@~

Edited by Spooky Akita
  • Thumbs Up 1

I do agree the game is way out of balanced and too short for what it was. That is always a complaint I have about sonic games at times that I want fixed usually. Not all games are like that, but several sonic games as of late has suffered shortness and little replay value in my opinion. I'm also guessing the game gets so much attention due to the Tails Doll being in it and all that popularity over that silly I'm gonna steal your soul if you beat the game with him.

Well I wouldn't consider R a tortuous experience. Once you get the hang of the controls some, it's a nice little arcade distraction- flaws and all. It gives me the basic feelings of enjoyment I got from, again, 3D Blast, and even Secret Rings. Sometimes questionable gameplay experiences just kind of click at the moment you're playing them, and you can push aside your objective grievances and accept the game as it is to have fun. And yeah, things like the alliterative names of the tracks give it a bit of that old school Sega charm. But nowadays I'm starting to hear descriptors like "awesome" and "amazing," especially in regards to the soundtrack, and I don't think people are being sarcastic when they say this.

It seems to be a popular choice in the "guilty pleasures" topic, but I've yet to see too many people defend the game when faced with severe criticism.  But if ShTH and '06 have their defenders, I've no doubt that R does as well.

I would love to see Professor Pickle act as sort of foil to Eggman.

In a way, he already is.

Pickle is refined and has a fine taste in things as evidenced by the manner in which he appreciates what the world has to offer such as souvenirs from around the planet. Eggman's tastes are pretty screwy and he doesn't appreciate much more than his own image and power.

Pickle is subdued. Eggman is much more flamboyant.

Both are highly intelligent but Pickle puts his immense knowledge of his field (Archaeology and History) to good use, teaching the younger generation whilst Eggman puts his knowledge of his field to diabolical effect and only wants to teach the younger generation because he likes holding power over people as proven by the JP script of Generations.

Pickle is kind and very even-tempered, treating Sonic like a favored grandson and he gets along very well with Tails and Amy. Eggman is spiteful and has a very short fuse, even attacking his own henchbots with little to no restraint.

Their differences are subtle yet definitely there, something Unleashed often had. They just aren't flaunted in your face relentlessly.

• Thumbs Up 5

While I don't think much of Sonic R per se, I like the whole concept behind it. If a sequel came out with better controls and more characters and tracks, I would definitely play it.

In a way, he already is.

Pickle is refined and has a fine taste in things as evidenced by the manner in which he appreciates what the world has to offer such as souvenirs from around the planet. Eggman's tastes are pretty screwy and he doesn't appreciate much more than his own image and power.

Pickle is subdued. Eggman is much more flamboyant.

Both are highly intelligent but Pickle puts his immense knowledge of his field (Archaeology and History) to good use whilst Eggman puts his knowledge of his field to diabolical effect.

Pickle is kind and very even-tempered, treating Sonic like a favored grandson and he gets along very well with Tails and Amy. Eggman is spiteful and has a very short fuse, even attacking his own henchbots with little to no restraint.

Their differences are subtle yet definitely there, something Unleashed often had. They just aren't flaunted in your face relentlessly.

I'm aware of all that, and I think that's incredible writing on their part.  But I mean, I'd like to see him appear more and have more of a pre-established relationship with Eggman that can be played off.  Granted, not in an over-the-top manner where Professor Pickle is always the voice of reason to Eggman's impulsively evil nature, but I'd love to see more interactions between the two and the other characters as well.

Well I wouldn't consider R a tortuous experience. Once you get the hang of the controls some, it's a nice little arcade distraction- flaws and all. It gives me the basic feelings of enjoyment I got from, again, 3D Blast, and even Secret Rings. Sometimes questionable gameplay experiences just kind of click at the moment you're playing them, and you can push aside your objective grievances and accept the game as it is to have fun. And yeah, things like the alliterative names of the tracks give it a bit of that old school Sega charm. But nowadays I'm starting to hear descriptors like "awesome" and "amazing," especially in regards to the soundtrack, and I don't think people are being sarcastic when they say this.

Well with the music, considering the time the music was put out, it likely was rather impressive. A lot of the early CD games weren't that different from their non cd cousins, but with all the extra space, these games started to add a lot more vocal music tracks and realistic music, over game music that you hear a lot of on snes, nes, and genesis. The music honestly isn't that bad, since they were putting a lot of thought into music in video games at that time before they went to graphics later.

• Thumbs Up 1

While I don't think much of Sonic R per se, I like the whole concept behind it. If a sequel came out with better controls and more characters and tracks, I would definitely play it.

I don't think a sequel will come for awhile when Sega already have a successful Sonic racing franchise:

sonic-and-sega-all-stars-racing-screensh

I'm aware of all that, and I think that's incredible writing on their part.  But I mean, I'd like to see him appear more and have more of a pre-established relationship with Eggman that can be played off.  Granted, not in an over-the-top manner where Professor Pickle is always the voice of reason to Eggman's impulsively evil nature, but I'd love to see more interactions between the two and the other characters as well.

Copied from my status:

I can imagine Eggman when he was younger being an old student of Professor Pickle and ended up learning about the mysterious Angel Island and about Perfect Chaos. Dark Gaia was just him revisiting his old teacher after they have long since severed ties.
Edited by Wonder-ED (Missile)

I find it funny how in order to play Sonic R correctly, you have to play it like a vehicle based racing game(E.g. You're betting off holding a button to Run instead of holding forward on a Control Stick or D-pad).

I think Sonic R is fun and is a nice time waster for me. I can't bring myself to hate the game because it's fun(for me) and has loads of charm.

Yeah I actually like sonic R too, it may have its problems and everything but its still good fun when I play it in small bursts though I can't really disagree with any of the complaints either because there true. Honestly I think if sega made a sequel to it I would want it to be something like mad dash racing.

I don't think a sequel will come for awhile when Sega already have a successful Sonic racing franchise:

sonic-and-sega-all-stars-racing-screensh

I'm aware of that, but wouldn't it be cool if they did make a sequel? I'd love to see them explore the idea of racing without vehicles again.

Also, does ASRT even count as a Sonic game? It seems more like a general "Sega Crossover" game to me.

Edited by ElectroKyurem

I don't know about student.  Maybe colleague would be better.

Why not? Their age difference is reasonably big enough for it to work. You could probably tie the whole "Purging of the Space Colony Ark" into Eggman's start of darkness and Professor Pickle being one of the first people to witness his descent into evil or something, thus turning a friendship between Teacher and Student sour. Heck, maybe you could add in something about Professor Pickle seeing a lot of the pre-evil Eggman in his newest protegee Tails, and how despite Sonic's quirks and flaws, his influence helped to keep Tails from potentially going down the same path. Yanno, due to Tails' past with bullying.

Meh. I'm sort of indifferent to R.

If Somecallmejohnny and Adamant Ditto on Youtube are anything to go by, Sonic R should be praised for it's racing concept. It may not be as fun as All Stars Racing or Transformed, but it makes more sense to people that the people race on foot.

I'd be game for a sequel though. If the multiplayer races in SA2 or in Lost World are anything to go by, this could be a nice addition. Maybe throw in the 30 Second Trial too for shits and giggles.

Why not? Their age difference is reasonably big enough for it to work. You could probably tie the whole "Purging of the Space Colony Ark" into Eggman's start of darkness and Professor Pickle being one of the first people to witness his descent into evil or something, thus turning a friendship between Teacher and Student sour. Heck, maybe you could add in something about Professor Pickle seeing a lot of the pre-evil Eggman in his newest protegee Tails, and how despite Sonic's quirks and flaws, his influence helped to keep Tails from potentially going down the same path.

ED. Stop making sense. You're creating too much brilliant head canon.

That would answer the question as to how Eggman knew just who to kidnap when he broke the planet to pieces. The Professor might have told him about the Gaia Manuscripts while Eggman was under his wing.

Edited by Zavok
  • Thumbs Up 2

Why not? Their age difference is reasonably big enough for it to work. You could probably tie the whole "Purging of the Space Colony Ark" into Eggman's start of darkness and Professor Pickle being one of the first people to witness his descent into evil or something, thus turning a friendship between Teacher and Student sour. Heck, maybe you could add in something about Professor Pickle seeing a lot of the pre-evil Eggman in his newest protegee Tails, and how despite Sonic's quirks and flaws, his influence helped to keep Tails from potentially going down the same path. Yanno, due to Tails' past with bullying.

Would make perfect sense were it not for two monkey wrenches in that: Eggman's ego and GUN keeping that purge heavily in the dark before Eggman released Shadow. Eggman is evil due to his ego and he wants to spread that by conquering the world.

And with GUN keeping that purge a secret until SA2's last story, it would make absolutely no sense for Eggman to have a start of darkness from it if he never knew about it until that point.

Would make perfect sense were it not for two monkey wrenches in that: Eggman's ego and GUN keeping that purge heavily in the dark before Eggman released Shadow. Eggman is evil due to his ego and he wants to spread that by conquering the world.

And with GUN keeping that purge a secret until SA2's last story, it would make absolutely no sense for Eggman to have a start of darkness from it if he never knew about it until that point.

But this is EGGMAN we are talking about. I think he would be smart enough/paranoid enough to put two and two together to realize what had happened, and what's to say his original motives were something like seeking vengeance on the military, but then as he saw the progressive corruption of the government and the United Nations as a whole, he slowly changed his motives to be about conquering the world so he can force his own brand of justice on the world, and then as power corrupted him, he slowly became a total egotist (or rather his existing ego ballooned to epic proportions), thus resulting in the mutated motives he possesses today?

Funnily enough, there was a user on another forum I got who did just that; Eggman being a former student of Pickle who kinda went AWOL.