Awoo.

Sonic Returns to Macy's Thanksgiving Parade 2012 "2013 parade too"

Badnik Mechanic

After they showed the Sonic balloon in the parade and were about to go to a commercial, Twinkle Park from Sonic Adventure started playing. Did anyone else notice that?

Here is the balloon being inflated before the parade:

aQarN.jpg?1

Edited by Pegasus Seiya
  • Thumbs Up 1

Here is the balloon being inflated before the parade:

aQarN.jpg?1

And, of course, Sonic has to mug for the camera while doing so. What a hedgeham!

And, of course, Sonic has to mug for the camera while doing so. What a hedgeham!

If he was a Hedgeham wouldn't that mean he'd been killed beforehand?

You lucky American bastards. First you get Sonic games that aren't slowed down like in the UK, now you get to see this.

WAIT-WAIT-WAIT... WHAT? SLOWED DOWN? WHAT?!?

The music and gameplay is slowed down in PAL versions. This is most obvious in Sonic 1, and is kept in certain ports like Mega Collection + and the Virtual Console.

The music and gameplay is slowed down in PAL versions. This is most obvious in Sonic 1, and is kept in certain ports like Mega Collection + and the Virtual Console.

When I first read your earlier post I thought you meant that in your games Sonic was slower or something :P.

But it's probably your weird 25fps standard (instead of 30fps or 29.97fps) that causes the slowness.

WHAT.

SURELY THAT CAN'T BE TRUE...

Anyway, I though PAL was the Japanese format. Surely the music would be sped up?

I presume it's just a small after-effect of the change of format, not due to any mischievious tinkering from Sega devs...

Surely it isn't...

Sega....

WHAT.

SURELY THAT CAN'T BE TRUE...

Anyway, I though PAL was the Japanese format. Surely the music would be sped up?

It be true. There are videos on the matter;

More pics:

NQ09k.jpg?1

knSf9.jpg?1

Spoiler for size:

pPq93.jpg?1

And a video:

Sonic appears at 2:48

Edited by Pegasus Seiya

You know, now that I think about it: Is it me, or are his spikes shorter?

They do look shorter, but maybe it's because of the angles.

I completely forgot to watch this. Sad.

Loving that the crowd cheered so well for it, though. Big Blue may have a large hatedom, but his fandom is just as strong. ;)

• 5 months later...

There was very little reason to bump this topic with such a post, especially since the parade ended over half a year ago. :/

• 6 months later...

Good to see he still has his place! I knew a lot of folks who weren't sure whether he'd been retired or not this year...

I wish they'd replace the Sonic 4 music, however. So many other tracks to pick...

If nothing else hey, maybe this helps with sales. I wonder if SEGA has to pay anything for the spot, though?

Me and my brother actually attended the parade live. Yeah, Sonic is MASSIVE in person. And his shoes...oh god his shoes.

I remember Sonic was at the end of the parade last year; he must have went 'GOTTA GO FAST' to be at the front. 

We have pics of not just him, but other balloons and floats.

he must have went 'GOTTA GO FAST' to be at the front.

Something tells me SEGA bought out the universal motivator: money.

I don't know how the parade's mechanics work, but I presume that since it's pretty much advertisement, companies have to pay to have their icons included, if not for the costs of initially assembling the balloon.

At least giving Sonic first place helps restore his glory in an era of cynicism and uncertainty.

Good to see him return this year as well!  That's quite a nice balloon too. ^^

And yeah, I'm positive that all the floats featured have to pay for the space.  It's good to know that Sega is well off enough that they can afford that sort of adspace.

Something tells me SEGA bought out the universal motivator: money.

I don't know how the parade's mechanics work, but I presume that since it's pretty much advertisement, companies have to pay to have their icons included, if not for the costs of initially assembling the balloon.

At least giving Sonic first place helps restore his glory in an era of cynicism and uncertainty.

You bring up a good point. Over this past year they have been gaining income after all based on various reports and what not. If so, then it's nice they had the money to bring Sonic front and center of the parade, and plug Lost World at the same time.

Oh; and when the balloon was in our vicinity not only kids but a few adults did identify who Sonic was. I don't about ya'll but it's reassuring to see that no matter the age Sonic is still recognize to people who attended.

• Thumbs Up 1