Awoo.

Should Sonic ever try to pursue a romantic relationship (or have moments that hint at romance)?

Soniman

So let me get this straight Visionary; developing platonic friendships is perfectly acceptable, but romantic relationships are somehow a waste of time?

Edited by Ragna the Bloodedge

So let me get this straight Visionary; developing platonic friendships is perfectly acceptable, but romantic relationships are somehow a waste of time?

Yes, a romance adds nothing in the log run, other than Sonic and Amy being in a relationship. But what does that add? Nothing a good friendship can't do. You don't want sonic to run away from Amy, then mellow her out, no romance needed to waste the story's time.

...I don't even have anything to say to something this stupid.

Oh go ahead, tell the class what you think. I'm sure it will be as riveting as the rest of the bullshit you spread.

Even if played for laughs, it's an aspect of Amy's story. Likewise for Gamma, it's not the forefront of the story but a contributing element.

I can argue the same garbage by keeping the story in status quo. It will still play the same role if they never got in a relationship anyways.

It doesn't contribute anything, we don't feel for the little bird wanting to be with it's love. We care for the robot who gives up the bird so that he may be free. It'd garner the same response if there was just a child bird and no mate. Because it's the simple love that is touching. The fact that he's in a romance adds nothing.

Edited by VisionaryBlur

Sonic already doesn't run away from Amy anymore. He just kind of blocks her with a hand. So no need to even bother with friendship then; it adds nothing Sonic's own apathy doesn't. xP

Sonic already doesn't run away from Amy anymore. He just kind of blocks her with a hand.

so. fucking. tender.

carinhoso pra caralho esse Sonic hein?

Edited by Anti Alias
  • Thumbs Up 1

Sonic already doesn't run away from Amy anymore. He just kind of blocks her with a hand. So no need to even bother with friendship then; it adds nothing Sonic's own apathy doesn't. xP

In one game.

In one game.

So? There's nothing to indicate they couldn't keep up this pattern, especially for comedy's sake considering the current direction of the franchise. So, with this solution in mind for the problem of Sonic running away, why develop their platonic relationship?

Yes, a romance adds nothing in the log run, other than Sonic and Amy being in a relationship. But what does that add? Nothing a good friendship can't do. You don't want sonic to run away from Amy, then mellow her out, no romance needed to waste the story's time.

Like she said, Sonic already keeps her at arm's length so what's the point of developing a platonic relationship as well as it seemingly doesn't add anything according to your logic.

Oh go ahead, tell the class what you think. I'm sure it will be as riveting as the rest of the bullshit you spread.
Dude if you can't appreciate romance as part of a story, I really don't know what to tell you. You're like...not a fully functional human being.

I can argue the same garbage by keeping the story in status quo. It will still play the same role if they never got in a relationship anyways.
It may be more or less the same role, but the context of it is different.

It doesn't contribute anything, we don't feel for the little bird wanting to be with it's love.
I do.

It'd garner the same response if there was just a child bird and no mate. Because it's the simple love that is touching. The fact that he's in a romance adds nothing.
It adds more love. Edited by hella jeff
  • Thumbs Up 2

Blech.

I always get a bit nervous when I see topics like this...

I'd like to see Amy grow up and tone down the crazy, and heck I'd like to see Sonic respect her.... but I don't think I ever want to see any of the characters officially "paired". It just seems too weird for me.

Edited by MamboCat
  • Thumbs Up 1

Dude if you can't appreciate romance as part of a story, I really don't know what to tell you. You're like...not a fully functional human being.

It may be more or less the same role, but the context of it is different.

I do.

It adds more love.

No, i appreciate different sorts of love, and the context behind each. I appreciate the love you are looking for under different circumstances, which Sonic does not match for me on a personal level.

But guess what, your desire for one love blocks off other loves, and you are willing to let others have ther hopes crushed for your selfish desire for a single romantic couple? And for what, the title? Please, there is no one love, and yours will never be it.

So at that point, I say good day sir; a one romance in this series does not work for me, and won't for a lot of other people, and while I wouldn't care personally (since I actually ship SonAmy; surprisingly enough; the signs are there after all and they do make sense). I care for the other people whom remain fans thanks to this ambiguity. So, I believe I'm done here.

No, i appreciate different sorts of love, and the context behind each.
Considering you keep saying it adds nothing, I think you're full of shit.

But guess what, your desire for one love blocks off other loves, and you are willing to let others have ther hopes crushed for your selfish desire for a single romantic couple?
I want this series to actually do things with its characters, its world, its stories, rather than doing nothing and leaving fans to make shit up if they actually want anything meaningful. Honestly, this is tantamount to asking Sonic Team not to write stories at all, because then they might contradict something in someone's fanfiction.

I mean, dude. I read Homestuck. Shipping in the Homestuck fandom is a hundred times more of a clusterfuck than in this series. But Hussie doesn't take that as a reason to freeze the entire cast as perpetually asexual in fear of ruining someone's OTP. If anything he revels in it; characters you'd never expect to hook up do, characters hook up and break up entirely offscreen, ships are teased, ships are broken, ships are unrequited, and sometimes ships are fulfilled. And y'know? Life goes on. The comic is still wildly popular. Have some people left because of some of the things he's done? Yeah, probably. But that just means these people were more fans of their own fanfiction than of the comic, and if that's the case who needs 'em?

Considering you keep saying it adds nothing, I think you're full of shit.

I want this series to actually do things with its characters, its world, its stories, rather than doing nothing and leaving fans to make shit up if they actually want anything meaningful. Honestly, this is tantamount to asking Sonic Team not to write stories at all, because then they might contradict something in someone's fanfiction.

I mean, dude. I read Homestuck. Shipping in the Homestuck fandom is a hundred times more of a clusterfuck than in this series. But Hussie doesn't take that as a reason to freeze the entire cast as perpetually asexual in fear of ruining someone's OTP. If anything he revels in it; characters you'd never expect to hook up do, characters hook up and break up entirely offscreen, ships are teased, ships are broken, ships are unrequited, and sometimes ships are fulfilled. And y'know? Life goes on. The comic is still wildly popular. Have some people left because of some of the things he's done? Yeah, probably. But that just means these people were more fans of their own fanfiction than of the comic, and if that's the case who needs 'em?

I have only 2 last things to say since you do graciously love to insult my position.

1. ) grow up and understand more than yourself and your views of humanity.

2. ) You're very stubborn (though I wouldn't have it any other way.)

1. ) grow up and understand more than yourself and your views of humanity.
Seriously dude? You're just getting desperate now.
  • Thumbs Up 2

Eh, to be fair, you did kinda go a bit too far calling him "full of shit". I'm no master of empathy, but I've learned that's an easy way to shoot yourself in the foot in a debate unless you reach a threshold. (and maybe you did reach it, I'm just trying to do damage control stepping into the debate)

Then again, that's probably hypocritical coming from me, as how often does my passive-aggressive ass fail to take my own advice regarding insults? laugh.png

Okay, so let's just say we've reach a threshold and drop that part. Granted, while I may think that's going to far on Hella's part, that doesn't exactly excuse your own stubborn position on this subject, VisionaryBlur. Hella Jeff has a point, though I think he would have been better off showing you even more examples of similar series that add romance without it being less central to the series as a whole, yet more so to individual characters. Avatar the Last Airbender for example, or Megaman's X-Zero, even Mass Effect for example. Heck, classic anime like Dragonball have romance in it, and yet you hardly ever pay attention to it compared to the action which takes center to the series.

You see people love each other, kiss each other, sleep with each other, or show strong affection for one another that borders on being romance and yet it's always a side thing, one that's less important to everything else. The Avatar series has Aang striving to save the world from the Fire Nation's imperialistic destruction towards the balance of the world and return the balance that was long lost for over a century, and he's a pre-teen crushing after the first girl he laid eyes on after awakening that he finally get's busy with in the end; Megaman X has Zero kill his girlfriend in war between Mavericks and Human and Reploidkind, while successor series Zero has Ciel show very strong and obvious affections towards said character while he continues to fight for the piece he's been seeking for centuries; Mass Effect has you seeking to build support and attention to an incoming galactic invasion that would wipe out all the most advanced species in the galaxy in a cycle that spans millions of years; DBZ is even less obvious with it's romance, you see characters like Goku, Vegeta, and even Gohan hook up and get married, and yet that romance is so minor it doesn't affect a thing in the way you claim it will for Sonic. And this goes without saying that Sonic has a number of influences from DBZ anyway.

Really, it's the same thing I say all the time. The concept itself is not the bad thing, it's the execution of said concept.

EDIT: Also, read the parts of the debate regarding shippers. I highly doubt they have that much of an impact on the series to actually mean anything, and if that's a major thing they're basing their interest into this series then they should expect the unexpected at the very worst and not cop a fit if things don't go their way. They're always gonna be shippers, so I don't see how that's a big deal.

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic
  • Thumbs Up 2

Short answer: No Sonic should just masturbate like the rest of us lonely losers.

Long answer: I can't see why not. Sonic's world has a rich history built over 20 years. For it to be believable I think there needs to exist an element of romance at least somewhere in it. That doesn't necessarily mean it has to be Sonic though. I mean if they really wanted to test the waters without having to commit fully they could always try it out with some side characters. I can just imagine a hilarious Mr & Mrs Smith-esque relationship between Knuckles and Rouge where she's always trying to steal the ME while still keeping on Knuckles good side.

We all know how wrong things can go when Sonic is involved in romance (yes I'm talking about '06 and Elise which I actually had no problem with, but the majority of people seem to have a over-the-top hatred for) and if a romance were to happen it most likely involve Amy somehow which I wouldn't believe or like at all, and the way some people carry on about a Sonic/Sally relationship makes me think any kind of relationship Sonic enters into would be bad due to idiot fan reactions, so I think letting a side character have the romance would be the better option.

Personally if I had to see Sonic in a relationship or at least in an attempted relationship I'd like to see it with Blaze. They have to be suited to each other as they practically are each other, at least parrallel universe versions of each other.

But if there were to be a relationship it would have to be handled well, which is why I would be reluctant to see it happen at the moment.

Sonic Team couldn't even handle simple non-romantic character interactions, I mean look at all the missed opportunity in Sonic Generations to have characters talk to each other and interact and drop little easter eggs of things fans could pick up on and they totally blew it because of the way they play it "safe" these days and make games with little to zero plot and story and character interaction.

If a romance was to be had it would need to be done delicately and properly and that is something I don't think the writers or game makers can do right now, childish moustache jokes; they got that down, but a little maturity for the older fans I don't think so.

Edited by The-Master-Board

If they ever made sonic more involved in romance.. the only thing I don't want is the whole thing being ass-pulled.

I know Sonic Team has been consistently horrible in writting, but at least they always were very consistent with the relationships of the cast.

@ Hatred towards Sonic x Elise:

Are you surprised? It came from out of nowhere with zero buildup.

Come to think of it, did Sonic ever return her affections? It seemed to me like she wanted to have his babies, but he was having his usual super friendly attitude towards her. She probably took that as a reciprocation of her advances, when really, he's that way with anyone. He'll even be nice towards Eggman if the situation demands it.

Really, it comes across more as some fanfiction than an actual romance. Had Sonic known Elise for many games... okay, it'd be weird, but understandable. But falling in love with someone overnight is just crazy when you have so many other possible romantic interests.

==

Sonic himself definitely needs to stay out of a romance. Part of his character is not wanting to be tied down.

The others? Well, maybe we can compromise there. I've always liked the idea of Amy hooking up with Shadow and making Sonic jealous in some manner, even though it makes zero sense. Comedy gold though.

We've got the hinted Knuckles x Rouge romance, though, and that could be explored. If anything Rouge's constant theft attempts are a good thing; they keep Knuckles' skills sharp. She's also established she'll rather just give them to him than deal with his ancestral sob story.

Also. Obligatory demand for a yaoi pairing somewhere. Say what you will of Ken Penders, but at least he acknowledged that in a cast of dozens of characters, homosexuality's pretty inevitable.

And yes, I ignore Ian Flynn's denial of those comments. Just as I ignore his denial of Sonic's first name. tongue.png

Though really the largest issue here is going too in depth with a romance would trigger the usual backlash from folks who just want a game and no real story.

Edited by Ogilvie Maurice Hedgehog

Sonic himself definitely needs to stay out of a romance. Part of his character is not wanting to be tied down.
Sonic needs to stay away from having friends, since part of his character is not wanting to be tied down. And all this "saving the world" jazz? That's just too much responsibility for a character who doesn't want to be tied down.

e: fuckin' seriously, the more I hear this the stupider it sounds. Do you people see a relationship as anything other than a ball and chain? Do you consider that Sonic might want to spend time with a girl? Do you think maybe he might be willing to give some of his time to someone he cares about?

Edited by hella jeff

Yea, that's my concern.

I don't want Sonic to suddenly fall in love with X character with no build up or anything.

I'm not against romance with Sonic, and I don't even bother too much with shipping, I like to see the character interacting with the love interest the writters seems to choose, as long as we actually get that he likes the girl.

I don't want an ass pull, I want to see sonic interacting with the caracter, developing the relationship, and convincing me why the heck they would have a thing for each other in the first place.

to be fair I still prefer the multiple implied love interest route for game Sonic. (what seems to be the case here) I mean , I am the only one who sees the similarity between the scene where Knuckles saves rouge in SA2 and the scene where Sonic saves Blaze as Percival in SaTBK? looks almost like an intentional shout out to me.

Sonic needs to stay away from having friends, since part of his character is not wanting to be tied down. And all this "saving the world" jazz? That's just too much responsibility for a character who doesn't want to be tied down.

e: fuckin' seriously, the more I hear this the stupider it sounds. Do you people see a relationship as anything other than a ball and chain? Do you consider that Sonic might want to spend time with a girl? Do you think maybe he might be willing to give some of his time to someone he cares about?

Well, if you like the idea of having babies with your friends, I guess more power to you.

A friendship and romance are entirely different levels of intimacy. Comparing them is just ludicrous.

You'll also notice Sonic doesn't really hang out with his friends much the same way we do. They either keep up or get left behind. Sonic wants to see the world, be free, and make sure everyone else is free while he's at it. If his friends wanna help out in that regard, by all means they may, but otherwise he'll smell them later.

Really, I think Sonic's like most young people. He doesn't really want a serious commitment until he's older and has enjoyed his youth. He won't be free to do whatever he wants when he shackles up with a single person, gets married, has kids, etc.

Yea, that's my concern.

I don't want Sonic to suddenly fall in love with X character with no build up or anything.

I'm not against romance with Sonic, and I don't even bother too much with shipping, I like to see the character interacting with the love interest the writters seems to choose, as long as we actually get that he likes the girl.

I don't want an ass pull, I want to see sonic interacting with the caracter, developing the relationship, and convincing me why the heck they would have a thing for each other in the first place.

Concur entirely.

to be fair I still prefer the multiple implied love interest route for game Sonic. (what seems to be the case here) I mean , I am the only one who sees the similarity between the scene where Knuckles saves rouge in SA2 and the scene where Sonic saves Blaze as Percival in SaTBK? looks almost like an intentional shout out to me.

Really this route is the best compromise.

...also huh. Never thought about it that way. Since Black Knight had lots of SA2 stuff in it, I'm inclined to think it might be intentional.

Well, if you like the idea of having babies with your friends, I guess more power to you.

A friendship and romance are entirely different levels of intimacy. Comparing them is just ludicrous.

You'll also notice Sonic doesn't really hang out with his friends much the same way we do. They either keep up or get left behind. Sonic wants to see the world, be free, and make sure everyone else is free while he's at it. If his friends wanna help out in that regard, by all means they may, but otherwise he'll smell them later.

Really, I think Sonic's like most young people. He doesn't really want a serious commitment until he's older and has enjoyed his youth. He won't be free to do whatever he wants when he shackles up with a single person, gets married, has kids, etc.

Well here's a crazy idea, but how about...you have said girl try to keep up with Sonic? Ludicrous I know, but..

How does having more intimacy suddenly translate to babies?

Edited by Malpercio

Well here's a crazy idea, but how about...you have said girl try to keep up with Sonic? Ludicrous I know, but..

Why not a guy who can keep up?

There's certainly plenty more males who can do that than girls.

How does having more intimacy suddenly translate to babies?

Ask your parents. tongue.png

In all seriousness, that's the logical end route. Instincts take over after a while.

Edited by Ogilvie Maurice Hedgehog

Why not a guy who can keep up?

There's certainly plenty more males who can do that than girls.

Unless Sonic is a homosexual, that's not really gonna work for a romance.

Edited by Ragna Claus

Unless Sonic is a homosexual, that's not really gonna work for a romance.

Whose to say he isn't?

As far as I know, in game canon, his sexuality has been left ambiguous.