Awoo.

Should Sonic ever try to pursue a romantic relationship (or have moments that hint at romance)?

Soniman

Whose to say he isn't?

As far as I know, in game canon, his sexuality has been left ambiguous.

Well let's assume he's straight, and there's a girl who actively tries to keep up with his lifestyle and pursue a relationship with him.

Well let's assume he's straight, and there's a girl who actively tries to keep up with his lifestyle and pursue a relationship with him.

Why can't we assume he's gay or bisexual?

Either way, we will have to address the issue of a character who can physically keep up with him.

Rolling with him having a love who can actually keep up with him and won't slow him down, we run into many more issues, I will admit. What is his reasoning for avoiding a relationship then?

Not much of one, unless he's rabidly promiscuous.

Does it really fucking matter?

Either way, we will have to address the issue of a character who can physically keep up with him.

Rolling with him having a love who can actually keep up with him and won't slow him down, we run into many more issues, I will admit. What is his reasoning for avoiding a relationship then?

Not much of one, unless he's rabidly promiscuous.

That's the point, your reasoning that Sonic should never pursue a romance is because apparently no one can keep up with him, so assuming that there is a girl who can indeed keep up with him, that reasoning is therefore debunked. Sonic may not acknowledge romance much, but if he can invest so much time and effort into his platonic friends, what the hell is stopping him from doing the same with a romantic partner? You're assuming that Sonic suddenly has to stop being himself and change who he is to get a girlfriend, when he's never had to that for any of his relationships in the past.

That's the point, your reasoning that Sonic should never pursue a romance is because apparently no one can keep up with him, so assuming that there is a girl who can indeed keep up with him, that reasoning is therefore debunked. Sonic may not acknowledge romance much, but if he can invest so much time and effort into his platonic friends, what the hell is stopping him from doing the same with a romantic partner? You're assuming that Sonic suddenly has to stop being himself and change who he is to get a girlfriend, when he's never had to that for any of his relationships in the past.

I conceded this. Alas, no girl really fits the category to my knowledge...

And creating a girl who does would cause the fires of Hades to rain down upon us all.

Bringing us back to the point that romance is probably best for the other characters.

Well, if you like the idea of having babies with your friends, I guess more power to you.

A friendship and romance are entirely different levels of intimacy. Comparing them is just ludicrous.

No, not really. They aren't the same, but being a good friend means making time for them. Likewise with great power comes great responsibility, and Sonic is kind of obligated to fight bad guys even if it's not what he'd prefer to be doing at the moment. Why is it that Sonic can be a friend and a hero while still being a free spirit, but dating someone is automatically a ball and chain that he would never stand for?

You'll also notice Sonic doesn't really hang out with his friends much the same way we do. They either keep up or get left behind. Sonic wants to see the world, be free, and make sure everyone else is free while he's at it. If his friends wanna help out in that regard, by all means they may, but otherwise he'll smell them later.
And likewise, if Sonic were to date, it wouldn't be dinner and a movie, then prom, then a house in the suburbs with a white picket fence, 2.5 children, and a dog. Any relationship Sonic has is going to adapt to his nature, whether it's friendly or romantic.

Really, I think Sonic's like most young people. He doesn't really want a serious commitment until he's older and has enjoyed his youth. He won't be free to do whatever he wants when he shackles up with a single person, gets married, has kids, etc.
A lot of young dudes want to bone chicks. Using the average teenager as a guide isn't going to work in your favor.

Why not a guy who can keep up?
Let's be honest, very few companies would have the balls to have their mascot come out of the closet in the current cultural climate. Especially not big old ones who really can't afford a lot of backlash.

In all seriousness, that's the logical end route. Instincts take over after a while.
It's not something the series would address in the forseeable future, so it really has no bearing on the issue.

I conceded this. Alas, no girl really fits the category to my knowledge...
Amy's not as fast, but she's done a pretty damn good job of catching up with him regardless. And Blaze can nearly match him in speed and skill. Although, I don't believe that it would necessarily need to be someone who can keep up with Sonic, just someone who's willing to wait for him to come back.

And creating a girl who does would cause the fires of Hades to rain down upon us all.
Only if they do it shittily. Making a character just for the sake of pairing her with Sonic is probably not going to go well, but there's no reason that they couldn't create a character who could be paired with Sonic at some point, but is also a solid, interesting character regardless.

A lot of young dudes want to bone chicks. Using the average teenager as a guide isn't going to work in your favor.

Boning chicks =/= commitment. That actually falls under "enjoying your youth" for some (not me). And in any case, I can say with certainty that Sonic is not going to bone anyone ever :P (not outside of creepy fan fiction, anyway), this being a kid-friendly series.

@ Hatred towards Sonic x Elise:

Are you surprised? It came from out of nowhere with zero buildup.

Come to think of it, did Sonic ever return her affections? It seemed to me like she wanted to have his babies, but he was having his usual super friendly attitude towards her. She probably took that as a reciprocation of her advances, when really, he's that way with anyone. He'll even be nice towards Eggman if the situation demands it.

Really, it comes across more as some fanfiction than an actual romance. Had Sonic known Elise for many games... okay, it'd be weird, but understandable. But falling in love with someone overnight is just crazy when you have so many other possible romantic interests.

Well what did you expect? Its not like they were gonna make a Elise a recurring character or have a long term goal for her to be in a relationship with Sonic.

You really think SEGA plan out their games like that? They barely keep continuty between games. That is a really a stupid point to make.

Sure I can agree Sonic never changed his demeanor with her, everybody is free to interpret that how they like. I could see it meaning Sonic is the kind of guy who is the same towards everyone no but then I can also agree that it might mean Sonic wasn't into her and she was just into him; making Elise pretty much a human version of Amy.

But do people have a problem with Amy and Sonic? No. The reason people hate on Sonic and Elise was due to the amount of immaturity in people. They took a notion that was barely there at best and ran with it. Seriously? People thought this was beastiality?!

In the real world a person banging an animal is beastiality, in a world where a talking anthropomorphic blue hedgehog who is all but human besides his design gets kissed by a human girl is NOT beastiality.

I'd like to think that this kind of idiocy was from the younger fans who might also think it was "gay" that team members held hands in Sonic Heroes, but I'm sure a lot of older fans who should know better ran with this stupid notion of "beastiality" . Hell back in the day we could've almost had that Madonna-like character as Sonic's girlfriend, I'm sure back then we wouldn't have had stupid people claiming it was beastiality.

Sonic himself definitely needs to stay out of a romance. Part of his character is not wanting to be tied down.

While I can't agree entirely, I do think it would probably be best as I can't see any of the series current writers being able to handle it properly.

The others? Well, maybe we can compromise there. I've always liked the idea of Amy hooking up with Shadow and making Sonic jealous in some manner, even though it makes zero sense. Comedy gold though.

That sounds really terrible.

• Thumbs Up 1

Honestly I wouldn't. If I want romance, I'll go elsewhere than a series centered around a 3-ft tall blue hedgehog.

Also this thread was a hilarious read-through. 10/10

Edited by Underaged Hot Anime Girl
  • Thumbs Up 2

I mean , I am the only one who sees the similarity between the scene where Knuckles saves rouge in SA2 and the scene where Sonic saves Blaze as Percival in SaTBK? looks almost like an intentional shout out to me.

From what I remember though, Sonic is unfazed. The obvious tension that existed between Knuckles and Rouge in SA2's scene is missing here. The fact that the scenes are similar otherwise just draws more attention to its omission. As for Blaze's blushing; that could be attributed to shyness. If a girl (attractive or not) had saved my life when I was younger and some snarky git-blade mentioned hugs and kisses, I'd have turned redder than the sun.

Edited by Pawn

From what I remember though, Sonic is unfazed. The obvious tension that existed between Knuckles and Rouge in SA2's scene is missing here. The fact that the scenes are similar otherwise just draws more attention to its omission. As for Blaze's blushing; that could be attributed to shyness. If a girl (attractive or not) had saved my life when I was younger and some snarky git-blade mentioned hugs and kisses, I'd have turned redder than the sun.

Yeah, but while the tension is toned down, the subtext is still all there, and not only that, that scene is a dead giveaway on Blaze's characterization.

the key here is the concept of a relationship writing fumble.

the relationship writing fumble happens when writers create a platonic relationship that resembles a romantic one too much, that confuses the viewers.

Sonic and Blaze are in Sonic Rush, in a platonic relationship with some subtext of a romantic one, the last scene with them, has romantic tension going trough the roof, on par with the scene with Knuckles and Rouge in SA2.

But that alone doesn't proves anything, that could be a romance or a friendship thing right?

in SaTBK however, the characters interact with subtle romantic tension and the scene shifts the focus to that in context level. the scene talks about their interaction with romance in the discourse.

what happens there is that the relationship writing fumble is thus avoided, therefore you know the character is indeed a love interest.

You can say that Percival isn't really Blaze, but let's face it, to Sonic Team and anyone who isnt a character in-universe, she is, that's the only reason Lancelot has jet boots in the 14th century anyway, because he is Shadow.

you now know for sure that the writers do indeed see her character as a romantic option, because her interactions with Sonic featured romance in both subtext and in context, avoiding the ambiguity of a relationship writing fumble.

get it?

• Thumbs Up 2

I'd forgotten about that scene at the end of Rush. I did indeed view that as a parting friendship when the game was released, since Sonic reacts by clasping her hand as though she were a good buddy, rather than a romantic interest. I can see where you're coming from when you look at the two scenes together, but Sonic's nonchalant attitude towards any tension suggests that it is currently one-sided at most.

Because the concept of sexuality in this child-oriented franchise never has been and never will be up for consideration, no matter how many fans try to claim, write or draw otherwise.

Edited by Vertekins

Well, Harry Potter is a primarily a series for children and teens and Dumbledore was eventually revealed to be gay... Just sayin'.

I mean, if nothing else, sexuality has already been implied by the fact that any one character has shown romantic inclinations towards another. The only reason Sega would not do a major non-hetero character (which really wouldn't have to be anything heavy anyway) is merely because of controversy, not because the subject is inherently off the table since it's a "kid's series." I mean, Sesame Street dealt with AIDS. AIDS.

I seriously doubt that the Sonic series has ever intentionally delved into sexual interest just because it has implied romantic interests amongst it's characters. Most of the cast under 16 or pre-pubescent anyway, which would make any instances of assured sexuality amongst those specific characters fairly awkward...

Edited by Vertekins

I'm talking about sexuality in terms of orientation, not copulation. We have at least one heterosexual character (who is underage, but has wanted to have children anyway, and it's been called creepy more so on its flanderization of the character than because she's under some arbitrary legal age set in real life), which is already a form of sexuality that's been introduced in the series. But we're not going to get any major gay or bi characters anytime soon, or subsequently determine the sexuality of the flagship character as being anything but hetero if such a determination was to ever be made, only because Sega would want to avoid the actual controversy and public scrutiny, not necessarily because gay and bi characters are "too adult" for a "kid's series" which is full of genocide and murder anyway.

• Thumbs Up 3

Sonic doesn't really show much interest in the opposite sex anyway, for all we know he can be Asexual.

Flirts with Rouge on occasion.

Threw an arm around Nimue.

Apparently goes on "dates" with Amy

Truckload of sexual innuendo in Sonic Rush

Is quite literally a Knight in Shining Armor

Madonna

Tiara

Elise

Whats this about no interest in the opposite sex?

• Thumbs Up 2

Flirts with Rouge on occasion.

Threw an arm around Nimue.

Apparently goes on "dates" with Amy

Truckload of sexual innuendo in Sonic Rush

Is quite literally a Knight in Shining Armor

Madonna

Tiara

Elise

Whats this about no interest in the opposite sex?

Contrary to popular belief, Asexuality doesn't mean you have no interest in females at all. None of those are instances of Sonic showing any sexual attraction at all, teasing maybe, but not outright.

To be fair, Ragna said he doesn't show "much" interest, not no interest at all.

Anyway, I don't think I ever answered the topic question: Should Sonic ever try to pursue a romantic relationship, as in actively go after a girl? No. Not really. Why would I want a game's story that involved that on any significant level? Hints of anything is fine, even a date here or two, but I'm not particularly fond of the idea of any game or series of games' stories existing to partly build up any strong romantic relationship between Sonic and someone else, especially when his character is actually fine as is and can attain development, growth, and renewed interest in other areas and ways. There is no outright need for a romantic component to be inserted into Sonic's characterization, which is regardless of the fact that it can be.

Besides, I also genuinely like his routine with Amy for one of the same reasons that I like Coyote and Roadrunner cartoons: It's a predictable dynamic that exists between two characters that helps give them some definition, and it's something that be creatively exploited either for comedic fodder or for unpredictable reaffirmations of the characters' deeper devotion to one another as friends. To give Sonic a romantic interest, whomever it might be, would inevitably eliminate that dynamic as would allowing the Coyote to realize that his money would be better spent on food than ACME products.

Edited by Nepenthe
  • Thumbs Up 3

Contrary to popular belief, Asexuality doesn't mean you have no interest in females at all. None of those are instances of Sonic showing any sexual attraction at all, teasing maybe, but not outright.

Are you sure?

Dictionary.com

: lacking sex or functional sex organs <asexual plants>

a : involving or reproducing by reproductive processes (as cell division, spore formation, fission, or budding) that do not involve the union of individuals or gametes <asexual reproduction> <an asexual generation>

b : produced by asexual reproduction <asexual spores>

: devoid of sexuality <an asexual relationship>

I assume #3 is what were dealing with. Under that definition, you can't be a little bit asexual. You either are, or you aren't. Sonic's quips and teases would make him fall on the latter half.

Edited by The Arcane Arceus

I assume #3 is what were dealing with. Under that definition, you can't be a little bit asexual. You either are, or you aren't. Sonic's quips and teases would make him fall on the latter half.

Dude, just because you flirt, or help some girls out doesn't automatically mean you're sexually attracted to them, ever heard of Friends with benefits? You can make with a girl, and still not feel attracted to them. Now unless I'm reading the scenes the wrong way, do any of those instances show Sonic being ATTRACTED to any of those girls? There's a difference between flirting and sexual attraction.

While it's true you don't have to be attracted to a specific person to flirt with them, the lack of specific attraction is not proof you completely lack an attraction to that person's entire gender.

I'm not saying Sonic is incapable of showing attraction to the opposite sex, I'm just saying he hasn't shown much interest to lead me to believe that he would pursue a relationship with anybody.

Edited by Ragna Claus

You were accusing Sonic of lacking attraction to the opposite sex, and in fact all sexes, by calling him "asexual." That's literally what the term means. :|

Pursuing a relationship is a different matter entirely from your sexual orientation.

Dude, just because you flirt, or help some girls out doesn't automatically mean you're sexually attracted to them, ever heard of Friends with benefits?

Yes. And that is EXTREMELY sexually inclined. Sex is involved in that. You can't get much more sexually inclined. Your almost literally in it for the sex.

SSSSSSSSSSSSSEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEXXXXXXXXXXXX

tongue.png

I'm not saying Sonic is incapable of showing attraction to the opposite sex, I'm just saying he hasn't shown much interest to lead me to believe that he would pursue a relationship with anybody.

Then don't call him Asexual. That is a whole nother ballpark.

Edited by The Arcane Arceus