Awoo.

Should Sonic ever try to pursue a romantic relationship (or have moments that hint at romance)?

Soniman

I never assumed they kissed (or did anything romantic at all). Who does a handshake after kissing?! I always figured it was just shippers grasping at straws.

And again, there's no implication that anything romantic happened in that scene in the sequel.

Sega has also never said anything about Sonic and Blaze being interested in each other. All Blaze's character profiles ever say is that she "opened up" after meeting Sonic an Co.

Blaze trusts Sonic, but that doesn't mean she's interested in him. The only real indication I've ever seen of Sonaze was in SatBK when she blushed (and that wasn't even really Blaze...). And then after the blushing scene, she goes on like it never happened.

Edited by originalusername

Neither Sonic nor Blaze lean in for a kiss at the end of Rush. I'm looking at it again, and all I see is Blaze finally opening up, hence the hesitant offer of a handshake.

If the former was the case though, why wasn't there any tension between them in the sequel? The lack of any between Knuckles and Rouge following SA2 can be explained by the abysmal characterisation from Heroes to '06, but there was no reason for Rush Adventure to dismiss the alleged romantic feeling between Sonic and Blaze.

If there is any, I would say it was severely toned down... I don't know how these scenes would be interpreted by an average gamer, since I tend to overthink too much about how the scene is constructed.

there are tidbits of interaction that shows that they are rather close, things like Blaze riding on the jet-ski with Sonic in the intro, the scene where she admits she is scared to him, or one scene in the ending of the first story where they blow up a boss and stay close together watching the sunset, but I don't get too much romance from these scenes, as I like to say, lacks subtext.,but looking at things from another side, it's the kind of things that shippers like to call hints for their favourite pairings isn't it? I mean if it was Knuckles and Rouge in such scenes, like riding jet-ski together, admiting fear or watching sunsets the implications of romance would be stronger or weaker? you know people see love interests wherever it's possible, so if you consider peoples tendency to see love wherever is possible, and writters knowledge of that, than maybe, just maybe, these little scenes could have been a small poke about "a guy and a girl that seems to have something going on", but as it lacks the subtext as I said earlier, I feel that the implications are left to the viewers head, not that they are intentionally hinting at something by the part of the writers, but whatever, that's how I work.

the only scene where I feel that they tried a veeeery subtle subtex was the one at the very ending where Blaze asks Sonic if he doesn't think there would be an reason Sonic would be brought to her world, which he responds with a smile "who knows?"

my subtext-o-meter beeped on that scene for a couple of reasons.

1) Leave the Two Love Birds Alone

is one scene in the veeery ending of the game, Tails and Marine will leave Sonic and Blaze to interact alone, it felt to me like a stardard "give 'em some privacy" sort of thing, I was quick to point that, so most of what is said in this circunstance I will interpret with the subtext generated by that situation.

2) Implications of a "Destiny Couple".

The way they were talking with Tails about the emeralds, being like a north and south poles of an magnet, capable of attracting and repealing eachother, and the way the topic shifts to Sonic and Blaze when they get alone, makes rather quick to make a paralel between the emeralds and Sonic and Blaze themselves, also the way Blaze implies that their encounter might be by the emeralds own will and the rather positive response from Sonic, makes me believe we are indeed dealing with some romantic subtext here...

and there were clues in the acting like the hesitancy of the pauses in their dialogue and such, that I use to point what the writers were striving for in that scenes.

so, if there are any implications of romance in SRA, it would be that, but I'm not really as sure about that as I am usually about other scenes, that's why I don't count that too much, too "weak" in my book.

holy shit, that was long.

TL;DR version:

Subtext in SRA is tonned down, but you can still draw implications from there, mostly from the last scene.

Edited by Anti Alias
  • Thumbs Up 1

It's interesting you ask that question. I notice now that when people suggest that Sonic can have a relationship, it's never at the expense of his habits or character; rather, people are all the more willing to find ways around him having to sacrifice anything of note to be in one, usually by suggesting a character who can merely put up with his habits or travel with him on their own accord, or something to that effect. At which point I say, that's not an interesting or empathetic romantic relationship, or even much of one at all. After all, the tension between Knuckles and Rouge is interesting in large part because their reflective lifestyles would make a potential relationship very difficult to go through with in the first place, but their feelings exist for each other regardless. There's an implication there that sacrifice and work would be needed to make it work for them if they ever decided to go through with that, and that makes it interesting.

In this case, I can somewhat understand; Sonic is a rebellious teenager, he's meant to subvert conformity and do things his own way without being hindered by the way of others, so the idea that he would drop all of that for a girl doesn't really sit well with people. It's different than from trying to make Sonic relatable as a character because that's a temporary thing to reinforce the character, with a romance everything changes. In short, it's easier to have someone would try to understand Sonic's personality and try to live with it rather than trying to change Sonic to conform to the ideas of an ideal romance..

It occurred me that maybe the characters are much more concerned with the constant potential destruction of the world then they are about romancing their own potential romantic partners.

• 2 weeks later...

No, just no.

It just isn't in Sonic's personality, and, the games would end up too mushy I mean, it just wouldn't look right. It would be interesting to see how he acts around romance I'll admit, but, I wouldn't actually like to see it happen. 

I prefer if any romantic stuff was kept at minimum and as subtle as possible so that the series does not derail from what it is nor to make Sonic a character commited and limited to have significant interactions only with the love interest. For example as much as like for Sonic to hint he may have something for Amy, I don't want it to become something more serious where the likes of Tails or Knuckles are left out of Sonic's life, nor for Amy to become a shadow of Sonic's will nor to risk for either character to loose an important part of what drives and motivates them.

IMO I think the way it is, at least in concept, it's OK as it does not distract from the action/adventure theme while keeping things optional or at least open to personal interpretation instead of shoving it down the throat of people who are not into it. Also I don't think there is any need to introduce another character to become Sonic's love interest when Amy can fill that role, plus the idea of doing so would be a disservice that would leave a sour taste equal to introducing a new character that takes Tails's role as BFF, as it exacerbates the problem of character development because instead of adressing the main problem, it would only be a temporal patched while the character that originally was meant to fill a particular role is left underdeveloped. 

Has anyone else noticed that Sonic tends to be very up front when it actually comes to girls he likes that aren't crazy?

Like, when Nimue in Black Knight is proven to basically be a not batshit insane version of Amy, Sonic goes in to flirt but is cockblocked by Caliburn?

And when he and Blaze may or may not have kissed?

• Thumbs Up 1

Sonic's a ladies man (or even a hound dog *cough*AOSTH*cough*) in almost every medium outside of the games. It comes with the cool guy persona.

When it comes to Rouge, Blaze, Nimue, Percival -- he's shown the ability to play it cool. Outside of Amy, he's actually got a little bit of a swagger to him with the opposite sex.

Oh yeah, unlike Knuckles he's actually cool with Rouge's flirting. I forgot about that.

Sonic's one smooth motherfucker.

Sonic's a ladies man (or even a hound dog *cough*AOSTH*cough*) in almost every medium outside of the games.

You'll have to remind me where this happens in AoStH. Well, actually I guess it's "Lovesick Sonic" in a nutshell... But are there any other examples?

You'll have to remind me where this happens in AoStH. Well, actually I guess it's "Lovesick Sonic" in a nutshell... But are there any other examples?

There was that Possum when he went to the Western themed town, and there was also that Merhog. 

and that raccoon waitress... among a handful of others.

(if I'm not mistaken Lovesick Sonic was the one with Breezie)

Scratch and Grounder were even able to bring sonic into a love-struck daze with a random blow up doll at one point. AOSTH Sonic would stop and drool for any almost  female. He even kissed a few of them.

It was all in the good nature of the show, of course.

Edited by Sega DogTagz

and that raccoon waitress... among a handful of others. 

(if I'm not mistaken Lovesick Sonic was the one with Breezie)

Correct. It's also the one with the Sonic Sez on the subject of inappropriate touching (lol), which in turn is the subject of numerous YouTube poops.

That's NO GOOD.