Awoo.

Should Sonic ever try to pursue a romantic relationship (or have moments that hint at romance)?

Soniman

I'm seriously starting to think Knuckles or Rouge are only option when it comes to Sonic, the only characters that arn't creepy (ok, Rouge is slightly creepy...) a child, abusive, outright evil, and they actually know Sonic and have fairly good opinion of him and their characters don't need to be broken.

Also this

tumblr_lfjybemG5H1qdtw9eo1_500.png

Nimue is not Amy, which is quite obvious due to her reserved and generally calm nature. Of course Sonic doesn't realize this at first and his initial instinct is to run away, but when Sonic realizes that it isn't Amy he wastes no time giving her the reach around. Id like to think this is how Sonic would treat the real Amy if she actually bothered to tone her attitude down and see Sonic as a person rather than an idol.

Frankly I thought that was a little out of character, Sonic is nicer than that, not some annoying personal-space invader.

Edited by Mysterics

Who cares what TVTropes thinks.

umad.

I'm seriously starting to think Knuckles or Rouge are only option when it comes to Sonic, the only characters that arn't creepy (ok, Rouge is slightly creepy...) a child, abusive, outright evil, and they actually know Sonic and have fairly good opinion of him and their characters don't need to be broken.

I'm all for some Suckles bromance.

and Sonic/Rouge is.... funny, at least... I always laught when I see some Sonic/Rouge art dunno why... I think it's because it reminds me of this:

ce__nice_to_meet_you_by_auroblaze-d4h69ln.jpg

• Thumbs Up 3

People care about Free Riders?

Well it's her most prominent appearance to date, so....yeah, it's kind of important.

I think Naysu is right, Sonic can be hammy, but he only hams to show he's happy and excited(and probably knows it's kind of silly and finds it amusing) and tries to cover up when he isn't happy, I think a better example would be the Sa2 ending when Sonic turns away so Amy doesn't see him, or the Sonic battle ending where he's saying everything's all right and blatantly lying.

(In Sonic colours/gens Sonic is obviously quite literally fearless though.)

Keep in mind that two characters had just died in those scenarios, and everyone was pretty upset over it, pretty sure Sonic is trying to put on a brave face for everyone else's sake. Not that Sonic wasn't upset about the whole ordeal, but he's not the type to dwell on a situation for very long before moving on.

there is subtext between them, but according to Tv Tropes, Peach is kinda like a "not love interest" of Mario.

Speaking as a fellow troper, allow me to remind you that TV Tropes ain't the final authority for what constitutes a given archetype. Just sayin'.

pretty sure Sonic is trying to put on a brave face for everyone else's sake.

1. That was well, almost my exact point, though it only makes sense that it's somewhat for his sake as well, he has an ego.

2. It contradicts what you just said

Edited by Mysterics

Speaking as a fellow troper, allow me to remind you that TV Tropes ain't the final authority for what constitutes a given archetype. Just sayin'.

I know it's just an example.

Also, Implied Love Interest... Yeah... that change things a little...

Edited by Anti Alias

Frankly I thought that was a little out of character, Sonic is nicer than that, not some annoying personal-space invader.
Too nice.

umad.
Don't be a tool.

The problem is members of the opposite sex all always assumed to want that sort of attention (if it's girl doing it to guy or guy doing it to girl) , imagine if the same sex did it to you and you get the idea.

1. That was well, almost my exact point, though it only makes sense that it's somewhat for his sake as well, he has an ego.

2. It contradicts what you just said

Except it doesn't, Sonic being happy for everyone else's sake and then going back to his default attitude, doesn't really sound that contradictory.

I don't see the problem with Sonic and Blaze, if anything. The two are distanced enough from each other that it'd be a very casual thing that's not a big deal and a major focus in the series. Besides, what makes it where it'd be too serious? Just because the writing has made their interactions serious? Blaze is generally a very awkward character and I can't see how humor wouldn't be implemented into it.

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't see the problem with Sonic and Blaze, if anything. The two are distanced enough from each other that it'd be a very casual thing that's not a big deal and a major focus in the series. Besides, what makes it where it'd be too serious? Just because the writing has made their interactions serious? Blaze is generally a very awkward character and I can't see how humor wouldn't be implemented into it.

true, with a change in writing I guess anything is possible. I would like to see her grow as a character, I'd certainly find more depth to her if she really does learn from older games and grows to show a warmer attitute over time (not a complete personality change mind, that would be way too shallow)

Edited by Naysu

I tend to prefer Sonic having a very subtle thing with a girl he can't be with...

I think it fits the "game" Sonic better, but being in an actual relationship feels too weird for him.

okay, I will answer to the topic since my discussion has been derailed.

I'm okay with characters being implied to have the hots for each other, it's the kind of thing you can't take away from Rouge and Knuckles for example, the obligatory Amy chasing Sonic, Sonic caring for Amy...also for those who don't find Sonic and Amy that heartwarming with each other, the friendship with "implications" between Sonic and Blaze seems to do the job pretty well in my opinion, nothing to change there, just make her appear more...

but I don't see any of these characters working well in an actual romantic relationship, it doesn't seems to fit the series at all... we have gone trough this a lot of times didn't we? isn't pretty much the same conclusion of every shipping topic?

Edited by Anti Alias
  • Thumbs Up 1

Too nice so he should sexually objectify women, don't think so.

In addition to what Soniman said, as far as we know, Amy is pretty bangin' by hedgehog standards. Sonic probably had trouble keeping his pants on around what was probably, objectively, the perfect Amy Rose.

• Thumbs Up 4

Sonic and Amy may look good together, but personality-wise, it's just a terrible match up.

If they actually were in a relationship, Amy's obsessiveness would escalate into her being a control freak. Amy is up Sonic's ass enough and he doesn't need more of that.

Oh, and just look at Free Riders. The bitch got angry at Sonic for treating her as an equal instead of being "chivalrous." Who'd ever want to date someone like that?

You do realize characters can grow and change right.

Good luck with that happening with the current way the series is written.

Good luck with that happening with the current way the series is written.

I think everyone here knows that the series is currently in a writing rut, you really don't have to remind us tongue.png

This is all hypothetical and there's no reason why Sonic Team couldn't improve with there current situation, hence all the suggestions for proper development and fleshing out of the character before diving into serious romance shit and what not.

Edited by Soniman

I think everyone here knows that the series is currently in a writing rut, you really don't have to remind us tongue.png

This is all hypothetical and there's no reason why Sonic Team couldn't improve with there current situation, hence all the suggestions for proper development and fleshing out of the character before diving into serious romance shit and what not.

I never said they couldn't improve, I just don't see them doing it out of the blue or anytime soon.

If we're going to shoot down ideas based on that, we might as well eliminate half the topics in the subforum. Let's at least entertain the possibility that things will improve, 'k?

• Thumbs Up 7

Maybe if they can get better writers that can execute it well.

It's not needed in a Sonic game, oh no.

But perhaps it'll make things different, it'll make the story more interesting to watch.

That said as long as the game's fun I don't mind what the story is like.

A game should be balanced.

You should never just being going through the stages to get to the next cutscene and you should never be skipping the cutscenes because they're awful, just to get to the gameplay.

Like Clement says "I digress"

Edited by NISA