Awoo.

Should Sonic ever try to pursue a romantic relationship (or have moments that hint at romance)?

Soniman

I'd like a game where Amy genuinely loses interest in Sonic (for whatever reason), and Sonic is so used to her being all over him and such that he's upset when she isn't, like he's kinda grown to feed off the attention (like so many kids his age do, despite acting like they hate it).

So then, there'd be missions where he's trying to look cool (get so many points) to impress Amy again. :V

-shrug- It'd be kinda neat, I think.

Edited by Birthday Boy Wario
  • Thumbs Up 7

After lurking in this topic for so long, I feel I should state my opinion.

I'm kind of indifferent to the whole thing. I don't really want a romantic relationship in the games, but I don't really have a problem with it either if it's done right (I'll explain what I mean by that later). But if anything, I just get the feeling that it suits Sonic's character better if he didn't have a love interest (he's a guy who's always on the move, isn't one to take things slowly, etc.)

So I don't have a problem with it if it's done right. It shouldn't dominate the story or even be integral to the story. It should be subtle enough that it's possible to ignore it i.e. it should be as unintrusive as possible and be there only for depth and support rather than a prominent feature of the storyline. I don't think that would be possible with Amy with the way things are now with her character and attitude (she isn't subtle at all about it, she comes off as obsessed and annoying, and in '06 it was in the spotlight a bit too much. There was even a whole cutscene about it). If they were to take a new approach with how Amy behaves (a more realistic and subtle affection for Sonic) then Amy could be used for this.

Again I have to stress that it needs to be unintrusive. Because if it is too prominent then everything that isn't executed realistically or is annoying will just be that much more noticeable and reviewers will beat it to death.

Edited by Frogging101

Gotta agree with the general consensus. Subtle is the way to go.

I thoroughly enjoyed the few times Sonic has put his wit to work in an effort to hang with Rouge. I also liked the more subtle approach that the Rush series took implying little things here and there.

We might be selling the writers a tad short though. When you sit back and think about it, outside of Amy, S. Team has actually done a pretty good job when it comes to how Sonic deals with sexual tension. When Rouge flirts with him in Battle, Sonic is right in his element and takes the opportunity to re-establish his rock star status. When Caliburn implies something a little lovey-dovy between him and Percival, Sonic follows up his chivalry with some trademark attitude. Look one way, and he’s throwing an arm around Nimue, look the other way and the dude is keeping close company with the Sol Princess. The hog is a ladies man. And for the most part, again outside of Amy, the plot benefits from these little moments.

With that in mind, I think the Sonic series benefits from these kind of tiny subplots. They are mostly inoffensive and bar no meaning to the overall plot, save for Sonic Rush. They humanize and humor-ize the cast quite a bit. Sonic comes across as a pretty cool guy when he can fast talk his way out of a situation that would have most of us embarrassed and sweating bullets. Its also fun to watch the characters squirm in more awkward situations.

So yeah. Keep it subtle and I think romantic subplots have a place in the Sonic series.

Edited by The Arcane Arceus

Alright, so this is going to sound really weird, but of all the teased "love interests" game!Sonic's had, I actually think Caliburn was handled the best. No, seriously. Yes, it's a total crack pairing played for humour. Heck, it's a borderline cargo ship. But it does have a surprising amount of basis in canon, and, to add on to that, it's surprisingly well developed, particularly when compared to other relationships within the Sonic series. It proves that platonic relationship growth is not something alien to the series in the first place, so supplementing romance into that basis should be no trouble for the right writers. Call it a bromance, romance, whatever you'd like. But whatever it is, I think it shows you can have a somewhat dynamic, budding relationship within a Sonic game without it eatting up the plot or ruining a character, which is vital to the premise of this topic.

When Sonic and Caliburn first set off on their journey, they pass the time by throwing passive-aggressive jabs at one another, with Caliburn rightfully calling Sonic out on his inexperience in swordsmanship, and Sonic expressing distaste towards Caliburn's mannerisms in retaliation. They end up spending about half the game exchanging insults, and as you see both characters interact with the world, you begin to understand why. Caliburn's structured, traditional, gentlemanly; Sonic's reckless, free-spirited, and doesn't give a crap about what others think. To make tensions worse, they both think rather highly of themselves, meaning all the more ego for the other to bruise.

It's quite interesting, really; Caliburn is one of the only characters within the entire series who's not only talked Sonic down to size, but did so without being an outright antagonist. Caliburn certainly was not a villian, nor was their any over-arching rivalry or misunderstanding between the two like we see whenever Shadow or Knuckles throw an insult Sonic's way. Neither is good or bad, right or wrong. They're just two vastly different people with equally-huge egos who somehow got stuck together. (And, by "people", of course I mean "a giant blue hedgehog and a magical talking sword".)

Their differences at first have a negative effect on their ability to work together. Sonic's first clash with King Arthur ends with him bickering with Caliburn, and Caliburn ends up dragging an unwilling Sonic into a duel with Lancelot. All the while the two act uncivil at worst and distant at best towards eachother, occasionally showing a certain level of distrust. Caliburn hesitates when he requests that Sonic take him to the blacksmith, not wanting to show any vulnerabilty (because he doubtlessly knew Sonic would mock him for it). He questions Sonic's ability to become a knight, and Sonic all the while questions Caliburn's status as sacred sword and teacher.

It's not until Sonic and Caliburn take on Nimue's challenge that the differences between the two are truly highlighted, and at last reconciled. The ever-focused Caliburn pushes Sonic to stay on task, but Sonic's equally strong values refuse to turn down a child's request for help. Caliburn begrudgingly supports him in this, but wastes no time in declaring him a fool and reminding him he failed to complete the lady's task within the a lotted time. Meanwhile, Sonic's sword skills gradually improve with Caliburn's aid; he's able to defeat a powerful knight and dragon on skill and training alone.

When Nimue reveals herself and declares Sonic worthy of knighthood, the overall experience ultimately bestowes a level of trust and mutual respect between the two. Caliburn is taken aback when Sonic gives him credit where credit was due; Sonic acts genuinely complemented when Caliburn finally -but proudly and happily- concedes that Sonic is worthy of being called a knight. This cements their friendship and strengthens their partnership; Sonic declares Caliburn an "old pal" and Caliburn expresses confidence in Sonic's abilities before facing Arthur, in stark contrast to the display at the beginning of the story.

In the end, Sonic and Caliburn's differences complement eachother. Caliburn grounds Sonic's arrogance, and Sonic's ideals broaden Caliburn's horizons. The two have good boundaries in that they trust eachother but aren't afraid to call the other out on their crap. It's a very nice and refreshing dynamic, in many ways similar to Sonic and Tails' friendship, as well as the appeal shippers find in both Sonamy and Sonaze.

Of course, by mid-way through the game Caliburn goes full-on tsundere, expressing discomfort when Sonic affectionatly admits he's "gotten used to" him . More imfamously, there's the dialogue after Caliburn scoffs at Sonic and Percival's "moment", where and Sonic asks him he's jealous and Caliburn bashfully denies. Subtext. Subtext, subtext, subtext. xP

But regardless of subjective character interpretation, I maintain that if Sonic Team is able to put out a decent buddy flick premise in both SatBK and Colours, then I see no reason that same amount of character relationship growth and interaction couldn't be applied to a romantic relationship with some good writers at the helm.

*Disclaimer: No, I'm not a erm... Soniburn(?) shipper, at least not in a romantic sense. Stop looking at me like that.

Edited by BlazingTales
  • Thumbs Up 8

Alright, so this is going to sound really weird, but of all the teased "love interests" game!Sonic's had, I actually think Caliburn was handled the best. No, seriously. Yes, it's a total crack pairing played for humour. Heck, it's a borderline cargo ship. But it does have a surprising amount of basis in canon, and, to add on to that, it's surprisingly well developed, particularly when compared to other relationships within the Sonic series. It proves that platonic relationship growth is not something alien to the series in the first place, so supplementing romance into that basis should be no trouble for the right writers. Call it a bromance, romance, whatever you'd like. But whatever it is, I think it shows you can have a somewhat dynamic, budding relationship within a Sonic game without it eatting up the plot or ruining a character, which is vital to the premise of this topic.

When Sonic and Caliburn first set off on their journey, they pass the time by throwing passive-aggressive jabs at one another, with Caliburn rightfully calling Sonic out on his inexperience in swordsmanship, and Sonic expressing distaste towards Caliburn's mannerisms in retaliation. They end up spending about half the game exchanging insults, and as you see both characters interact with the world, you begin to understand why. Caliburn's structured, traditional, gentlemanly; Sonic's reckless, free-spirited, and doesn't give a crap about what others think. To make tensions worse, they both think rather highly of themselves, meaning all the more ego for the other to bruise.

It's quite interesting, really; Caliburn is one of the only characters within the entire series who's not only talked Sonic down to size, but did so without being an outright antagonist. Caliburn certainly was not a villian, nor was their any over-arching rivalry or misunderstanding between the two like we see whenever Shadow or Knuckles throw an insult Sonic's way. Neither is good or bad, right or wrong. They're just two vastly different people with equally-huge egos who somehow got stuck together. (And, by "people", of course I mean "a giant blue hedgehog and a magical talking sword".)

Their differences at first have a negative effect on their ability to work together. Sonic's first clash with King Arthur ends with him bickering with Caliburn, and Caliburn ends up dragging an unwilling Sonic into a duel with Lancelot. All the while the two act uncivil at worst and distant at best towards eachother, occasionally showing a certain level of distrust. Caliburn hesitates when he requests that Sonic take him to the blacksmith, not wanting to show any vulnerabilty (because he doubtlessly knew Sonic would mock him for it). He questions Sonic's ability to become a knight, and Sonic all the while questions Caliburn's status as sacred sword and teacher.

It's not until Sonic and Caliburn take on Nimue's challenge that the differences between the two are truly highlighted, and at last reconciled. The ever-focused Caliburn pushes Sonic to stay on task, but Sonic's equally strong values refuse to turn down a child's request for help. Caliburn begrudgingly supports him in this, but wastes no time in declaring him a fool and reminding him he failed to complete the lady's task within the a lotted time. Meanwhile, Sonic's sword skills gradually improve with Caliburn's aid; he's able to defeat a powerful knight and dragon on skill and training alone.

When Nimue reveals herself and declares Sonic worthy of knighthood, the overall experience ultimately bestowes a level of trust and mutual respect between the two. Caliburn is taken aback when Sonic gives him credit where credit was due; Sonic acts genuinely complemented when Caliburn finally -but proudly and happily- concedes that Sonic is worthy of being called a knight. This cements their friendship and strengthens their partnership; Sonic declares Caliburn an "old pal" and Caliburn expresses confidence in Sonic's abilities before facing Arthur, in stark contrast to the display at the beginning of the story.

In the end, Sonic and Caliburn's differences complement eachother. Caliburn grounds Sonic's arrogance, and Sonic's ideals broaden Caliburn's horizons. The two have good boundaries in that they trust eachother but aren't afraid to call the other out on their crap. It's a very nice and refreshing dynamic, in many ways similar to Sonic and Tails' friendship, as well as the appeal shippers find in both Sonamy and Sonaze.

Of course, by mid-way through the game Caliburn goes full-on tsundere, expressing discomfort when Sonic affectionatly admits he's "gotten used to" him . More imfamously, there's the dialogue after Caliburn scoffs at Sonic and Percival's "moment", where and Sonic asks him he's jealous and Caliburn bashfully denies. Subtext. Subtext, subtext, subtext. xP

But regardless of subjective character interpretation, I maintain that if Sonic Team is able to put out a decent buddy flick premise in both SatBK and Colours, then I see no reason that same amount of character relationship growth and interaction couldn't be applied to a romantic relationship with some good writers at the helm.

*Disclaimer: No, I'm not a erm... Soniburn(?) shipper, at least not in a romantic sense. Stop looking at me like that.

ew

gay

Edited by Birthday Boy Wario

Y'know I was going to say it's not gay if one is an object

but there's pretty much nothing more phallic than a sword, so

edit: i am tired and wording backways

Edited by hella jeff
  • Thumbs Up 1

ew

gay

I know it's kind of an overused gag at this point, but it's still a better love story than Twilight.

• Thumbs Up 2

Anyway... well, after writing up that short story last week, I guess I can see a Sonic x Amy pairing working... providing the latter's affection for the former gets deflanderized a smidge.

Why did you even bother posting at all?

Because it's my right as an American citizen.

If you want to fraternize with the devil's buttocks, that's your business. But gay marriage WILL lead to ducks taking over the planet. True. Fuckin. Story

SO HEY ANYWAY

I think Sonic should stay away from romance, but I'd really like the Knux/Rouge relationship played up. :V They're both "mature" enough for the relationship, they foil one another, and...uh...yeah.

• Thumbs Up 2

I think Sonic should stay away from romance, but I'd really like the Knux/Rouge relationship played up. :V They're both "mature" enough for the relationship, they foil one another, and...uh...yeah.
Wasn't Knuckles supposed to be bad around women? Like, in his Japanese Sonic 3 profile or something?

Wasn't Knuckles supposed to be bad around women? Like, in his Japanese Sonic 3 profile or something?

Well this is mostly in Sonic X, but Knuckles tends to get pretty flustered when Rouge flirts with him, which like never happens at all.

Oh my god, Knuckles is a Tsundere for Rouge.......gonna go kill myself now.

Sonic wouldn't be the same if he had a girlfriend.
How so?

He's a free spirit who doesn't have time for a girl.
What kind of free spirit can't do a thing if he wants to? You think a guy who always follows his own path is going to be stopped from having a girlfriend, if he wants one?

and on top of everything it wouldn't have any place in the games.
Why not?

Giving Sonic a relationship would kill off any personality Sonic has left.
How?
  • Thumbs Up 3

Erm no. Please God no.

Sonic wouldn't be the same if he had a girlfriend. Sonic isn't the type of character I want to have any romance. He's a free spirit who doesn't have time for a girl. He wants his freedom and on top of everything it wouldn't have any place in the games.

Giving Sonic a relationship would kill Sonic's personality for me for good.

Ok, not that I'm all for Sonic having a girlfriend, but how would it kill his personality? Sonic has interacted with numerous girls, and can be fairly intimate with most of them, Amy include, and it's never compromised his personality, so........what the eff?

If Sonic had a girlfriend everything would revolve around her.
Have you ever actually been in a healthy relationship? Dating someone doesn't mean spending every waking moment with them, unless they are literally insane.

He couldn't spend his free time with Tails or to even some extent stopping Robotnik.
Do you really think there's a time when either of them would vote not to save the world because they're just too busy?

Sonic has no voice of reason and that is what inspires him to charge into battle recklessly. If he had some clingy snot she wouldn't allow him to put himself into such mortal danger.
But he would do it anyway.

If given a mary-sue who was as fast and "cool" as he was that's just plain bad development.
Why?

It has no place in the games because as it stands the stories in the games haven't been very good. Adding in pointless romance makes it even worse.
Romance isn't inherently pointless. I agree that they need to write better in general first, but once they do, why not this?

Finally it kills off his personality because now every decision he has to make he has to put his girlfriend's thoughts into it as well.
Considering other people in addition to yourself isn't a sign of losing your personality, it's a sign of not being a sociopath. Sonic already takes into account the feelings of his friends, why can't he do the same with a girlfriend?
  • Thumbs Up 5

If Sonic had a girlfriend everything would revolve around her. He couldn't spend his free time with Tails or to even some extent stopping Robotnik. Sonic has no voice of reason and that is what inspires him to charge into battle recklessly. If he had some clingy snot she wouldn't allow him to put himself into such mortal danger. If given a mary-sue who was as fast and "cool" as he was that's just plain bad development.

It has no place in the games because as it stands the stories in the games haven't been very good. Adding in pointless romance makes it even worse.

Finally it kills off his personality because now every decision he has to make he has to put his girlfriend's thoughts into it as well.

Ok, you yourself said Sonic has a no voice of reason, what makes you think he'll suddenly bend over backwards to her whim, further more don't you think she'd be understanding of Sonic's feelings and attitude, and not try to hinder him?

EDIT: You know what, fuck jeff you take it, ninja'd me twice already.

Edited by Popo

Do we really need a plot where Robotnik captures this girlfriend? It just makes Sonic vulnerable.

You know how many time Amy has been kidnapped right?

Yeah, and it's obnoxiously too many times. At the end of the day Sonic can just save her and be on his way.

.........which is exactly what happens, like seriously; you said Sonic having his girlfriend kidnapped would make him vulnerable....despite the fact that he has saved the closest thing he's had to a girlfriend numerous times, with no difficulty......so yeah.

I've been in a very healthy relationship for 5 years actually and one thing I know is when I want to make a reckless move the little voice in my head says "Is this really a good idea? What would she think?". As it stands Sonic doesn't have that right now.
Do you think that he is going to suddenly gain this if he were to date someone? And to such an extent that it would ruin his character? Any time that you have someone who depends on you, you're going to think about them when shit gets serious. Whether that's a girlfriend, a family member, a sidekick, whatever.

He's a super hero. Would anyone with a really strict conscience blast into outer space, face killer robots head on, and all that jazz? I don't really think so.
If it needs to be done, yes! Real life people go to war, become fire fighters or take whatever dangerous job, and still have relationships with people. And it's not like a superhero having a girlfriend or a wife is something strange, anyway.

If he "did it anyway" he'd loose said girlfriend really quick
That depends on the girl, and the relationship they have. I've said before, part of the requirements for Sonic/Amy to work is for Amy to realize that Sonic is going to run off, both to save the world and for his own sake. And I don't think that's an impossible relationship.

It would be bad development to give him a "Super duper same exact character" because that's not fresh or original at all. Who wants yet ANOTHER Sonic?
Do you really think that only a character identical to Sonic can keep up with him?

Do we really need a plot where Robotnik captures this girlfriend? It just makes Sonic vulnerable.
Having a girlfriend doesn't mean she needs to get kidnapped. And it's not like Amy hasn't been kidnapped before anyway. And, it's not like the same couldn't be done to any other character Sonic has some sort of attachment to, like Tails for example.

Sonic just works better solo. Tails is a brother figure to Sonic and I find that to be much better than romance.
You contradict yourself. You can't say Sonic works better solo and then praise his bromance with Tails.
  • Thumbs Up 6

You know how many time Amy has been kidnapped right?

At least 3 times.

Which is less than Elise. That should say something. I remember her being captured in CD, SA1, and SA2 (tho that's mixed considering Tails was also with her). But ever since then, she's never been captured.

And on the subject of Sonic having a girlfriend being someone that everything would revolve around: Goku, Sonic's DBZ counterpart, is married and yet his ass is still a free spirit capable of doing whatever it is he sets himself up for. So that argument falls flat on whether a free spirit getting a girlfriend is no longer free.

Also:

If we're going to shoot down ideas based on that, we might as well eliminate half the topics in the subforum. Let's at least entertain the possibility that things will improve, 'k?

Words of the wise #7. If I can fit it.

Should Sonic ever try to pursue a romantic relationship? Sure, why not? It has potential to make things interesting within the series, and more interesting with Sonic himself. I'm almost tempted so say if this was to be done then maybe a new character should be introduced to the series, but that's the last thing that needs to be done, as Sega/Sonic Team already has problems properly using the crowd that they already have. But personally I don't see any of the current characters actually working out in a romantic relationship in the series. But this is probably because the characterizations for majority of the cast have either been destroyed, sabbotaged or downright non-existant. Now if these characterizations are improved upon, then maybe I can see it happening as romantic relationships forming should focus on personality more so than appearance.

I'd prefer Sonic stick to the occasional flirt with the female characters.

Sonic flirting with Amy just to tease her would be pretty hilarious in fact, even more hilarious if he flirts with other females in her presence. Oh the lulz to be had would be priceless.

I don't like the idea of Sonic flirting. Not to say he's never done it, but for Sonic to do it so as to taunt and frustrate Amy time and time again, I find it contradictory to his personality where he cares about his friends very much. As much as Amy is annoying, Sonic still cares for her. When it comes down to flirting, in the end someone usually gets emotionally attached and ends up getting their feelings hurt. Sure Sonic likes to play around and joke, but not at the expense of someone's feelings. I really can't see Sonic playing with someone's emotions by flirting with them. No one deserves that, not even Amy.

Add me to the list of liking this idea with Dr. Eggman more than Sonic. I could see this working very well with him as well as giving him a more realistic side. Dr. Eggman is already well characterized in the series, so I can't see this doing any harm with him and his personality. I see a lot of potential with this...

In short, I am definitely okay with this idea. I'm not seeing how this could be determintal to Sonic and his rather strong personality. He has always been willing to help out any and everyone in need and just because he has a girlfriend I don't see him changing in that regard. My only thing is that I would first rather see some actual interaction between the characters, as in seeing their friendships being developped before I see something as serious as romance. I'd say first well develop everyone's characterization, then things can be changed up a bit such as the romance factor, which surely wouldn't be fitting in the series right now.