Awoo.

Should Sonic ever try to pursue a romantic relationship (or have moments that hint at romance)?

Soniman

What would be done with the relationship if it came? If Amy got with Sonic, what then? What would the romance add to the story?

The characters would grow a bit, the tension between them would be more healthy, we could actually see some interactions between them besides Amy chasing and Sonic running away. Edited by hella jeff

The characters would grow a bit, the tension between them would be more healthy, we could actually see some interactions between them besides Amy chasing and Sonic running away.

To be fair, you don't exactly need romance to do that.

• Thumbs Up 2

*grumble*Alwaysstuckonthelastpage*grumble

Personally, I'm open for the Tenchi Muyo romance if it's done comically and ridiculously. Sonic's just too cool for one chick and chooses them all. It at least has the silly tone that would fit Sonic. That at least adds a comically competitive aspect that adds intrigue to the side cast.

(Personally, I'm ok with a human love interest added into the mix as well, if she was done like Princess Sera, and is a character who doesn't exist to be a Sonic black hole. Hell, I didn't mind the concept of Elise or Madonna, since those concepts have been done well in the past, whether serious

beauty_and_the_beast-11157.jpg

or comical

831_b2f83c409c.jpg

And that is why we have Amy Rose.

Just Amy isn't enough to make for the Harem comedy. Mutiple characters allows for competition and silly humor, and allows writers to explore just about every character involved and show how their lives and mind work. I laughed at Ryoko's drunken habits in Tenchi Muyo, but smiled when she displayed her love for adventure. I... tolerated Ayeka's... interesting personality, and grew to love her growth as a leader of a nation. I enjoyed Mihoshi for her blunders, but smiled when she tried her hardest to complete the tasks ahead of her. It's a special dynamic that one love interest does not have.

In all honesty I don't think having Sonic pursue a relationship is such a great idea right now. However, showing affection towards a female character would be nice. Having Sonic show a little more something something would give his character more depth in my opinion. Like, I rather have indirect hints then actually direct ones. Also, if Amy was less fan-girlish and a little more mature I think having that source of thing can work. But I dunno, it really depends...

Btw having harem comedy would be so funny! But it'll definitely take more then one love interest to make it work. lol, it's a interesting thought though.

To be fair, you don't exactly need romance to do that.
True, but just about every outcome has multiple routes leading to it. My point is that SonicXAmy is a valid route.

And if you want to talk about things we don't need to do to do something:

Just Amy isn't enough to make for the Harem comedy. Mutiple characters allows for competition and silly humor, and allows writers to explore just about every character involved and show how their lives and mind work.
Yeah, this could allow for some characters to get developed, but I don't think it's a particularly good way to go about it for Sonic. The series has gone for so long without any kind of romance that having most of the female cast macking on Sonic would be a hell of a lot to swallow. And when are we even going to have time for all this when the series is, first and foremost, about running around smashing robots and saving the world? Plus, there's only one aspect of the characters that this directly addresses: how they feel about Sonic. Everything else they could explore is incidental; the chance to develop characters like this is predicated on having a close relationship, romantic or otherwise.

I believe that Sonamy could work in canon, but not just by making Sonic "give in" to her advances. I'd like to see Amy's character developed more first, to make her more independent, strong and not just used in spin-off games or games where they need a gap to fill. I personally feel that she could do with a makeover to represent that, also.

Being in a relationship does not "tie you down" if you're with someone who shares your interests and lets you flourish - both Sonic and Amy are caring and helpful characters who would do anything to help someone in need.

Adding a character to just be a love interest for Sonic would not be a good idea, in my opinion. We already have Amy who has been established for years and to replace her with someone else as Sonic's potential LI kind of makes having Amy moot in the first place, considering her main trait is pursuing Sonic's affections.

That said, they don't need to actually have them in a relationship to have their moments - I like it best when Sonic acts exasperated around her, like he's trying to hide his feelings.

Anyway, that's just my take on it. Such an event also has a potential to show another side to Sonic's personality. I just think that it'd be something different and interesting for the stories in these games we love.

happy.png

Edited by Heybunny
  • Thumbs Up 1

And if you want to talk about things we don't need to do to do something:

Yeah, this could allow for some characters to get developed, but I don't think it's a particularly good way to go about it for Sonic. The series has gone for so long without any kind of romance that having most of the female cast macking on Sonic would be a hell of a lot to swallow. And when are we even going to have time for all this when the series is, first and foremost, about running around smashing robots and saving the world? Plus, there's only one aspect of the characters that this directly addresses: how they feel about Sonic. Everything else they could explore is incidental; the chance to develop characters like this is predicated on having a close relationship, romantic or otherwise.

Do you think Tenchi Muyo and other such harems would have succeeded if they only focused on the girl's side of the ordeal? This stuff focuses on the boy who doesn't want it, and how he reacts to the idea of these women following around. And the girl's are then developed as characters as the series develops. It's basically the same thing as the Sonic Amy interaction, but is better suited for a long series because unlike Sonic and Amy, you don't feel like Sonic has to get into a relationship to develop with the girls.

Plus, this sort of relationship can be done subtly through cutscenes and interactions in party situations. This could also happen in overworld sections where the girls are present together and you want to talk to them.

Also, they don't have to mack on them. Hell, that isn't even how the good harems did it. In Tenchi Muyo, only Ryoko would mack on him, and would often be the one to start arguments about Tenchi. And hell, the whole harem cast never joined in on the fight, but still showed their affection to Tenchi in subtle ways. Really, I think there are more opportunities for status quo and development this way, without having Sonic have to be in a relationship.

Do you think Tenchi Muyo and other such harems would have succeeded if they only focused on the girl's side of the ordeal? This stuff focuses on the boy who doesn't want it, and how he reacts to the idea of these women following around. And the girl's are then developed as characters as the series develops.
So are we ever going to have time for the rest of the guys in the cast between developing the girls who want Sonic's dick and Sonic thinking about the girls who want his dick? What about actually fighting Eggman?

Y'know one of the reasons harem stories are a distinct category is because juggling these relationships and dealing with the associated drama is about enough to fill a series in itself. It's not something that's going to slip easily into a series that has never even approached something like that, a series which should be focusing on things other than romantic clusterfucks.

It's basically the same thing as the Sonic Amy interaction, but is better suited for a long series because unlike Sonic and Amy, you don't feel like Sonic has to get into a relationship to develop with the girls.
But he doesn't have to get into a relationship as it is. It's just one option. And what's the problem if he does?

Plus, this sort of relationship can be done subtly through cutscenes and interactions in party situations. This could also happen in overworld sections where the girls are present together and you want to talk to them.
So does any of this in any way require it to be a harem situation? (no)

opportunities for status quo and development
what

So are we ever going to have time for the rest of the guys in the cast between developing the girls who want Sonic's dick and Sonic thinking about the girls who want his dick? What about actually fighting Eggman?

Y'know one of the reasons harem stories are a distinct category is because juggling these relationships and dealing with the associated drama is about enough to fill a series in itself. It's not something that's going to slip easily into a series that has never even approached something like that, a series which should be focusing on things other than romantic clusterfucks.

Please, there are ways to make it so that the drama doesn't take over. The point of a harem series is to be a comedy first and foremost, and develops the drama as the series goes on, and it doesn't have to be in large segments, it can be in small increments that develop over time. But the importance of a harem genre is that it never gets out of status quo unless you timeskip.

But he doesn't have to get into a relationship as it is. It's just one option. And what's the problem if he does?

There is no problem other than it add nothings to the dynamic that regular character development can't add. Amy could suddenly be a character of her own, and Sonic could mellow around her, but the idea of a relationship adds nothing, absolutely nothing to the mix unless you make the romance the soul of the story and that just serves to piss people off. My idea at least adds humor.

So does any of this in any way require it to be a harem situation? (no)

No, but it's a funnier dynamic that actually adds something meaningful to the writing.

what

Sonic can stay in a perpetual status quo with his relationship, and the girls could still be after his affections, but in different ways without having to come across as stalker like, but their competition allows them to have an added humor dynamic that one girl just won't have.

I always thought it would be cool if Sonic and Amy had a Mickey and Minnie Mouse like relationship tongue.png Also, Amy could tag along with Sonic more and be like a sidekick, like in Sonic Advance 3. Sonic obviously is not into Amy though, so I don't really know...

I think other characters pursuing a relationship, like Knuckles and Rouge (the sexual tension in SA2 and 06 was unbearable) would be a good idea. Also, how about a bit of happiness for Shadow.

Edited by NightwingKnux

And what about the lyrics of the songs? specially for the female characters some of the lyrics for their theme songs contain a good deal of romantic implications about the characters.

Amy's My Sweet Passion? Crazy Stalker.

Blaze's Vela nova? the Cat in heat song.

but the massive champion here is Sweet Sweet Sweet, for Sonic/Elise.

BEHOLD:

We lay like lovers in a warm embrace,

Your kisses thrill me like no one before,

Baby, I'm all yours.

Living just for you.

I can see the moonlight shining through the mist.

The moonbeams playing over you and me.

I see the light of love,

Shining in your eyes!

I'm holding you in my arms.

Loving you beneath the stars!

I don't want the night to steal you away.

Hold me close, I want you so.

Don't you know that, baby?

Your love has touched my very soul.

Can you feel it baby?

Never let me go darling 'cause we're so in love.

And we can dream on,

Sweet dream!

yeah, now imagine Sonic and Elise loving each other beneath the stars...

oh god the images! make them go away!

oh wait, I've said "female characters?"

oh... fuck.

Edited by Anti Alias
  • Thumbs Up 4

yeah, now imagine Sonic and Elise

loving each other beneath the stars

No thanks; I actually want to go to sleep tonight.

• Thumbs Up 1

No thanks; I actually want to go to sleep tonight.

loving each other

loving each other

loving each other

loving each other

BENEATH THE STARS!!!

I can't even grasp how wrong that sounds.

• Thumbs Up 1

I think other characters pursuing a relationship, like Knuckles and Rouge (the sexual tension in SA2 and 06 was unbearable) would be a good idea. Also, how about a bit of happiness for Shadow.

I too think that Knuckles and Rouge would make a fantastic couple, the tension is indeed unbearable (and funny). tongue.png

EDIT: To everyone that posted while I was writing this post, I now want to remove both my eyes and means of hearing. happy.png

Edited by Heybunny

... what were they doing at the end of that clip, dare I ask?! O_O;

Also, apparantly Vela Nova is Latin for "New Sails". I thought "Violet Nova" was what it meant, and it fits Blaze better than what it really means.

Edited by Spin Attaxx