Awoo.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance : Let 'Er Rip!

Carbo

Just got finished with my Normal playthrough, hella fun game, easily my second favorite Platinum title behind Bayonetta(Not counting their Capcom/clover studio games). While it's short I really appreciate what Platinum decide to do with the limited time frame they had to make it, they made one short but extremely polished, intense, and replayable experience instead of padding it out. The blade mode feature is definitely one of the most satisfying mechanics ever introduced in an action game.

The hardest part about this game was getting into the right mindset for the combat system and not trying to play it like Bayonetta or DMC. Actually the core mechanics of the combat feel like the exact opposite of Bayo, defense is still extremely important but focused on blocks and parries with an optional dodge move. Also there isn't as large of a moveset and little incentive to create unique combo strings.

I must say that this game feels very different from any of the MGS games and I don't just mean the "Lighting Bolt Action" gameplay. Despite being the last in a game series that spans over 8 games and half a decade of story it doesn't do much to progress the overall plot and only two previously establish characters actually appear(Sunny and of course Raiden). For a series that was defined by it's massive convoluted plot and on-going continuity Rising almost feels too distant from the MGS lore, it could have easily fit in the Anarchy Reigns or some original cyberpunk universe with a few minor script changes and replacing Sunny, Raiden and the Metal Gears with original characters/giant mechs. The writing also doesn't feel like it came from Kojima because of this, it's easy to follow and it definitely has that signature "Devil May Care" cheesiness of a Platinum game story, especially with the final boss.

I'm not a hardcore fan of the MGS games but it was still very bizarre to play a 3D Metal Gear game that doesn't feature David Hayter as some version of Snake, he was glue that connected all of the games' plot and it feels empty without him. I can see how long time fans would be disappointed by these changes but it's not nearly as offensive as say DmC was. It doesn't replace or retcon the established lore and with Platinum handling most of the development Kojima was free to focus on more stealth based Metal Gear games like Ground Zeros and MSG5.

Ultimate I'm really glad that a Platinum developed game is finally getting the praise and sales that they rightly deserve, even if it's mostly due to name recognition. Kojima has all but confirmed that Platinum will be making a sequel eventually and I can't wait to see the gameplay expanded upon. Now to wait for that Blade Wolf and Sam DLC.

Edited by DaBatGuy

They're having a bit too much fun, Platinum...lol

An update for the game is up. 115 MB. It seems to add a "Checking for downloadable content" menu when loading up the game. Must be getting ready for the 2 campaign DLC's and the Snake sword.

Edited by BlueTidalGamer

Mrrrrrowl. 

*snip*

The league of Ninja Cats...

Raiden can't get pussy.

• Thumbs Up 5

It's just not stopping

arGEbMCl.png

Revengeance is kicking my ass. Can't even make it past the first fight. Had to put the game down a few days back. I still love it though. I'll come back. I always do. He won't hurt me next time; he promised

• Thumbs Up 7

It's a shame I only rented this game, I miss it already. This is by far my favorite game of 2013. Hands down. I don't think anything will be able to top this, I mean this game, in my opinion, is basically PERFECT. Tight gameplay and controls, Fuckin' awesome soundtrack, and surprisingly enough, the story feels very Metal Gear esque. The only thing I could complain about is length, but this game is so damn replayable it's insane. I beat this game four times in about three days, and I never got tired of it. Favorite hack & slash, favorite game this year, one of my favorite games of all time...All I can say is give me a sequel!

• Thumbs Up 2

Started up my Revengeance mode playthrough a little while ago.  So far I've been able to get through every fight with an S-Rank (just beat Bladewolf edit: Mistral; that feeling when you finish a level and it lists S's all across your screen, it's divine).  The Infinite Wig-A and Red Phosphorous Grenades have been serving me incredibly well for normal fights.

I've also been listening to the optional Codec conversations.  There's a lot of great stuff in there, from small minor details (like how Raiden's eyepatch rag actually has a function) to some incredibly humorous moments (Raiden and Boris discussing the new Soliton Radar).

I'm also missing 2 hands and 2 VR missions, so I'll be sure to knock those out this playthrough (hopefully).

Edited by Nix

Gave this game a break for a while, and came back to play it and oh my fucking god I suck *sob*/

Really got to get this Parry down if i'm going to attempt Hard mode ;~;

Gave this game a break for a while, and came back to play it and oh my fucking god I suck *sob*/

Or just abuse the hell out of the trick Angry Joe pointed out; seriously there's an absurdly long window for parrying surprisingly.

I tried Very Hard mode (after completing the lower difficulty levels) and couldn't even get past the first fight in the game! So I took a break from the game as well. Now I am replaying MGR and am about to attempt Very Hard mode again.

Parrying can be tricky. The key is being able count attack immediately after you Parry. If you can master that, then the game becomes much easier.

You could also:

Unlock the Fox Blade (along with the Gray Fox outfit) The Fox blade is so overpowered (once fully upgraded) that it makes combat very easy.

Edited by -Bender-

Or just abuse the hell out of the trick Angry Joe pointed out; seriously there's an absurdly long window for parrying surprisingly.

Yeeeaaaahhhh... I did that pretty well in normal and hard.  That "exploit" hardly worked for shit on very hard, then again, button mashing hardly ever does on higher difficulties.

Edited by Nix

No, there's a long window for blocking.  Parrying has to be done at the moment you're hit.

Welp I need some help with the final boss

Its the not the fight I'm worried about. Its just one fucking attack.

You know when you deplete his first health bar down to a quarter he jumps and starts flinging buildings. I'm having problems cutting them for some reason and it kills me most of the time. Everything else is fine. Its just that one fucking attack.

Started up my Revengeance mode playthrough a little while ago.  So far I've been able to get through every fight with an S-Rank (just beat Bladewolf edit: Mistral; that feeling when you finish a level and it lists S's all across your screen, it's divine).  The Infinite Wig-A and Red Phosphorous Grenades have been serving me incredibly well for normal fights.

Wow, having barely completed very hard mode, that sounds like an incredible achievement to me. I was brutalized. Had to use the white cyborg armour and a good supply of recovery nanopaste things to not die.

I'll be starting vengeance mode very soon.

I also found all the VR missions, but I'm pretty crap at them. Still need a number of data packs and ID card arm though...

Welp I need some help with the final boss

Its the not the fight I'm worried about. Its just one fucking attack.

You know when you deplete his first health bar down to a quarter he jumps and starts flinging buildings. I'm having problems cutting them for some reason and it kills me most of the time. Everything else is fine. Its just that one fucking attack.

You have to align the blade with at least three of the boxes, and it's one of the few moments you actually have to realign the camera to cut all of the debris. The Sundowner fight is supposed to prepare you for this particular concept.

It only took 2 goddamn hours, but I finally beat Monsoon on Revengeance without getting touched.

I thought the Pincer Blades were practically useless until this moment.  Those things tear him to shreds (you still have to deal with all of his magnetic force throwing shit at you bullshit tough, that's still a pain in the ass even if you can dodge most of it via Ninja Run).

Can't wait for Sundowner!

I heard the WHOLE soundtrack from YouTube, and /wow/ this game's soundtrack is glorious. I remember some of the tracks from the demo, but there are tracks I haven't heard that god they're great. Personally (spoiler'd for... Boss music spoilers I guess? It's from the demo but just in case.)

the LQ-84i boss fight theme is really great. Loving that instrumentation.

How come Platinum Games usually have a wonderful soundtrack in their games? Happened with Anarchy Reigns and Vanquish. And Bayonetta of course.

I really wish I had money to buy this game. It's so great. D:

Game Informer gave MGR a lower score than DmC

Side bar negatives include level design being dull, Raiden's VA being inconsistent in his performance, blocking mechanic is "cumbersome", inability to dodge or switch weapons quickly is frustrating, basic attacks are simple (well, easy to perform and I'm not sure if this was a negative), and while the combat is fun, it's not precise enough.

Score was 7.75

Edited by PSI Freeze

Let's not open the DmC can of beans and instead check out the DLC heading our way.

Dwarf Gekko and fisticuff missions. Also Japanese Snake Sword we may or may not get. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Was telling Charlie this on Skype last night, and I can now see why we may not be getting Snake's sword because it's full new dialogue for the game, which Konami would need to get Snake's English voice actor to do it, I think there was also mention that the sword was also only available in Japan as an reward for fans there.

Which that would suck because who wouldn't want to wave around snake? Err. I mean... A wooden sword containing Snake's soul.

But seriously the idea is hilarious. I'd be content even if all they did was provide the DLC with subtitles only just to kind of have it anyway.

Was it just me, or did one of those DLC VR missions with the dwarf gekko have you walking alone a Frogger type course?

Been struggling with the main VR missions. Watching somebody else getting gold rankings is somehow improving my performance though. If anyone else is struggling with VR missions, I'd recommend having a look see.

I also went back to easy mode to locate missed collectables and noticed for the first time the major differences with easy compared to very hard. Like the size of the square areas you have to hit during blade mode, for example.

The game tricked me into thinking I was good, then laughed in my face as I went higher in difficulty. I should be angry, but I'm not. I still freakin' love this game. XD