Awoo.

Astronomers Discover a Planet That May Have an Environment Similar to Earth's

-Robin-

Pretty cool. Would love to be able to explore this planet. Has anyone got a Galaxy Class Starship USS Enterprise (NCC-1701-D)? Would save a lot of time getting there.

Makes me wonder, what if there are other Earths? What if the creation of civilization isn't just one planet, but more, similar Earths, all with humans living and breeding on them. What if they have the technology to see us too? What if they are just a little bit more advanced than us, or behind us? Either as far as tech or evolution is involved...

Deep Stuff Bro...

A lot more work needs to be done to confirm that the world is indeed rocky and Earth-like, and not a small warm Neptunian gas giant.

Otherwise though, it's always nice to hear that another extra-solar planet's existence has been verified, and that it may well harbor conditions appropriate for life as we know it. Some day in the distant future, centuries from now, perhaps, just perhaps someone will gaze down upon it with their own eyes, from the vantage point of some futuristic space-faring vessel of a design we would be unable to understand...

• Thumbs Up 1

Cool. We have somewhere to bail to when the nuclear war starts. We can come back just in time to watch Adventure Time happen in real life.

I wanna be excited, but they disover planets that "may" be Earth-like and habitable almost every year. I'll be head-over-heels with excitement the day they discover a planet that DEFINITELY is Earth-like and habitable.

• Thumbs Up 1

I wanna be excited, but they disover planets that "may" be Earth-like and habitable almost every year. I'll be head-over-heels with excitement the day they discover a planet that DEFINITELY is Earth-like and habitable.

You're in for a long wait, then. I don't think the technology even exists yet to confirm an Earth-like habitable world - due to their size and apparent rarity, you'd likely need to view the planet directly as well as use all the traditional spectroscopy techniques. Merely identifying a world's atmospheric makeup and position in the star system isn't enough.

All we can do right now is identify potential Earth-like worlds as and when we locate them, put them in a list ranking them by their likelihood of being just right for us, which may be raided in the future if we ever dare to launch probes or ships their way.