Awoo.

The things you like most about obscure Sonic games?

In the Sonic series, there's those titles that are drowned out in terms of attention, whether it be that is was on a commercial failure of a console (Knuckles' Chaotix), or that people just didn't care about them much (Sonic Chaos, Triple Trouble, Labyrinth, Blast, pretty much all the Game Gear/SMS games), or that they were obscure ports to much superior games (Sonic 1 and 2 Game Gear, Sonic Jam for Game.com), or that they had limited availability to the main audience (Sonic Drift). Point is there's many obscure Sonic games out there, and people when people end up going like "No wonder this game is literally unknown, it sucks.", or "Wow! This game is a hidden gem!" So, the point of this topic is self-explanatory, tell the things you like about the most obscure of Sonic games. I'll name my personal favorite.

chaotix_cover.JPG

Man, how much I love this game to bits. Knuckles' Chaotix is the epitome of underrated during the Classic era of Sonic. It's a fun, creative, and quite trippy game, featuring the Red Rock himself. What turned many people off from this game was the rubber band gimmick, I will admit it is frustrating at first, but once you get used to it, it's a breeze. This game supposedly set forth the formula of Sonic Advance 3, with bringing 2 player co-op for the first time in the entire series. The visuals in the game, though not impressive for a 32X game, are good to look at nonetheless, and each character has their own abilities to use to use throughout the level, for the sake of variety. Not to mention that the game has some of my favorite special and bonus stages, and it also gets credit for having some of the best music in the entire series, therefore bringing us this amazing, calm melody.

So yeah, Knuckles' Chaotix, still one of my all-time favorite Sonic games, and with the fact it's never been ported outside the 32X, and was meant to be in Gems Collection, then scrapped, Chaotix DESERVES a Taxman remake.

Edited by Felix
  • Thumbs Up 4

I remember when Sonic CD was rather obscure. I enjoyed it because I actually felt the atmosphere of the environments, and I felt like I was making a difference.

The awesome Japanese music helped.

If you own these obscure games, people will actually be impressed as long as they know what a Sonic is. Even if it's just Tails and the Music Maker or something.

So yeah, Knuckles' Chaotix, still one of my all-time favorite Sonic games, and with the fact it's never been ported outside the 32X, and was meant to be in Gems Collection, then scrapped, Chaotix DESERVES a Taxman remake.

The best thing, is that it has Knuckles in it!

Yeah, never played it. Would love to. Don't know if there is enough demand for Sonic Team to team up with Whitehead again for this game. I was thinking that if they created playable Sonic from the unused Sonic sprite in Chaotix, then that might help sell a re-release.

Edited by NightwingFox
  • Thumbs Up 1

I know many hate it, but I actually enjoy Sonic 3D Blast on the Genesis quite a bit due to it's off-nature for a Sonic game. Something about exploring the levels as a kid in an isometric plain blew my mind. I mean when I was 4-7 years old playing Sonic, I liked the game because I could goof around and explore every nook and cranny of the level, finding hidden 1ups and areas and paths and what not. When I was gifted Sonic 3D Blast and suddenly had this new perspective to play in, it quickly became one of my most played games on the Genesis.

Call me lame, but I still kinda love it for this reason, and make it an effort to beat the game at least once a year for good old time's sake.

Your not lame. It's a really good (genesis) game IMO. It should have had playable Tails and Knuckles along with Super Sonic, which felt like a missed opportunity, but overall it is a fun game.

I really want to play the Saturn version of 3d Blast, which I have never played. I hear that the Saturn version has a great soundtrack.

I can be a hipster and say I own Sonic Eraser.

Step up your game, chump, and be a champ like me, I own Sonic Speed DX.

Edited by NISA

I know many hate it, but I actually enjoy Sonic 3D Blast on the Genesis quite a bit due to it's off-nature for a Sonic game. Something about exploring the levels as a kid in an isometric plain blew my mind. I mean when I was 4-7 years old playing Sonic, I liked the game because I could goof around and explore every nook and cranny of the level, finding hidden 1ups and areas and paths and what not. When I was gifted Sonic 3D Blast and suddenly had this new perspective to play in, it quickly became one of my most played games on the Genesis.

Sonic Schoolhouse has the best Sonic voice*shot*

Seriously, they usually give unique ideas, whether they're good or bad is another matter though, (Sonic teaching? Bad. The Link Rings in Knuckles Chaotix? Good ...arguably)

also 3D Blast is a great game

Edited by Rawrdom

Sonic & Tails/Sonic Chaos brought us the chicken leg walker boss. With it's surprisingly difficult-to-avoid projectiles and clumsy hopping. Which me and my friend found hilarious for some reason.

We still lose our shit laughing for no reason to this day. Something about those goofy legs and Robotnik's jolly face leaves us in hysterics.

0.jpg

I'm laughing right now.

Call me lame, but I still kinda love it for this reason, and make it an effort to beat the game at least once a year for good old time's sake.

• Thumbs Up 1

Not really a Sonic game, but I love the game Flicky. It super fun, I was obsessed with it before I knew about Sonic.

I love the animations of the characters, especially vector in Knuckles chaotix.

and sonic shuffle has certain minigames on it that were a crease. I loved the one with the soda machine where eggman shakes one up and puts it back in, just really funny XDD ooh, also the one with the sun burning everyone at the beach and you had to fight over the one umbrella. they were such a blast.

Edited by Naysu
  • Thumbs Up 1

Would Sonic R still be considered "obscure"? It's actually one of my favorite games! I love all of the music in the game, and also that the game can generate the weather for different races (snow is my favorite though because then all the water turns to ice :P)

Next up would be Sonic 1 for the Game Gear. In my opinion, the 8 bit versions of the music tracks for Labyrinth and Scrap Brain Zones are actually better than the 16 bit versions of those tracks (although, Scrap Brain Zone's music is really good either way). Plus, I like the music for Jungle Zone. It's really nice and happy ^-^

I think my favourite part of the obscure games are their interesting level tropes. Newtrogic High, Botanic Base, Gimmick Mt., Scrambled Egg, Crystal Egg, Gigalopolis, Sunset Park, Mecha Green Hill... they make many of the non-obscure level tropes look boring in comparison.

And I like Chaotix for having the Chaotix. :V

Sonic 3D Blast on the Genesis has an awesome soundtrack. Like, INCREDIBLE soundtrack. In fact, I think Rusty Ruin Act 1 might just be my favorite Genesis stage theme.

I enjoy looking at the packaging on my shelf.

Example: I always get a sense of pride and accomplishment when I see my copy of Knuckles Chaotix (complete in box) or even my copy of Sonic Generations Collector's Edition that I imported from the UK.

Or even different "versions" (I use this term very loosely) of non-obscure games that are less common. (Example: I have an original 1999 copy of SA1 and a 2001 SEGA All-Stars copy of SA1)

Edited by Mr.Snarf

Tails Adventure was a surprisingly good Metroidvania for a Sonic game. It's also looks amazing for a Game Gear game.

There were lots of interesting and unique items that you could find.

Edited by Rusty Spy
  • Thumbs Up 5

I've played *obscure Sonic game* It's pretty obscure you probably don't know about it.

Edited by NISA

The one thing about Sonic Eraser is its multiplayer feature. I mean, it's an early predecessor to Tetris Battle - except it was more like Columns Battle. The game isn't really tight or doesn't have anything to do with Sonic, but hey. It's alright, because it it's really obscure.

Also Sonic's Edusoft. Now, this one is really obscure. Retro has a page about it. Now, please be reminded at all times that this is not a Genesis game. It was developed for the Master System. Repeat: for the Master System. 8-bit console and all.

How obscure could we label the Advance titles?

Sonic Adv 1 felt like they had an excellent understanding of the Classic physics that I hear is lacking in the actual Sonic 4 and what I know is lacking in Generations.

Adv 2 gave a rather thrilling sense of speed, although that gets marred by the level design feeling much more paranoid the further you get into the game; stages like Sky Canyon, Techno Base, and Egg Utopia have you wondering whether it's safe or not to attempt to jump when it has pits in the most unexpected places.

Adv 3 was really cool with it's partner system. Instead of just your typical team-up of Sonic and Tails, you could team up with a mix and match of characters: reverse it and make Tails lead Sonic instead, have Tails partner with Knuckles or Amy, have Sonic tag along with Cream or Knuckles, partner Knuckles up with Amy or Cream, and so forth. And I loved the unique moves each team-up had.

A shame that level design becomes worse with each successive installment tho.

• Thumbs Up 2