Awoo.

The things you like most about obscure Sonic games?

Though it's pretty well known within the Sonic fandom, Sonic the Fighters is pretty obscure in general, and I just find it's art and animation is really cute, it's a western/anime amalgamation (as with pretty much all Sonic games, but here its especially noticeable) with really good squash and stretch effects and cartoon physics.

I also like that if a another character has a weapon Sonic will snatch it with a really amused expression, and Amy (not sure if it's just her) will point like "look over there!" and the other character will look.

Edited by Mysterics

Sonic Triple Trouble:

1. It was the first time we truly fought Metal Sonic.

2. Sunset Park Act 3. Do not deny it.

• Thumbs Up 6

I still have a bit of a soft spot for Sonic Chaos. I much prefer Sonic 1 and 2 for the master system but Chaos did have some interesting level tropes. Gigalopolis has a very interesting style, sort of like a more wacky, more colourful versoin of Chrome Gadget, and I really like Sleeping Egg's theme. Heck, I don't really know what it's meant to represent, but there's something about those camouflaged ruins that I really like. Aqua Planet is nice looking too. The purple and pink background has an almost pastel type look to it, and as for Electric Egg, if that zone was rehashed in an episode of Sonic 4 It'd be the one rehash I'd really like.

It's quite short, so if you don't have a lot of time to finish a Sonic game in one sitting, play Sonic Chaos, it's got to be the world's shortest Sonic game. Sometimes it's nice to have games that don't take long to beat.

The music is pretty awesome as well. I think if the music was remade in CD quality, or heck, even Mega Drive quality, it would sound pretty rad. Aqua Planet, Electric Egg act 3 and Mecha Green Hill are my favourites. And let's not forget that Sunset Park act 3's music was originally an unused track from Sonic Chaos.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 4 weeks later...

To me it's owning them. Of course being obscure, this immediately makes it a collector's galore. So actually owning them in person is the best thing!

Oh and discovering music you've never heard before, ones which are catchy and you never knew about all these years. There's still several Sonic games I've yet to play, or hear the music to ^^

• Thumbs Up 1

I think Sonic Triple Trouble is my favorite 'classic' game. I discovered an emulator with it by chance and started playing just for curiosity's sake, but I quickly grew to really like it. For some reason, I adore the design of the characters in it. It kind of has one of the cutest Sonic sprites and the animation felt more lively to me than in Sonic 1 to 3 for example. Can't really put a finger on the why, though.

How obscure could we label the Advance titles?

Sonic Adv 1 felt like they had an excellent understanding of the Classic physics that I hear is lacking in the actual Sonic 4 and what I know is lacking in Generations.

Adv 2 gave a rather thrilling sense of speed, although that gets marred by the level design feeling much more paranoid the further you get into the game; stages like Sky Canyon, Techno Base, and Egg Utopia have you wondering whether it's safe or not to attempt to jump when it has pits in the most unexpected places.

Adv 3 was really cool with it's partner system. Instead of just your typical team-up of Sonic and Tails, you could team up with a mix and match of characters: reverse it and make Tails lead Sonic instead, have Tails partner with Knuckles or Amy, have Sonic tag along with Cream or Knuckles, partner Knuckles up with Amy or Cream, and so forth. And I loved the unique moves each team-up had.

A shame that level design becomes worse with each successive installment tho.

Edited by Speedy

I really really like Bark's design, he's a great looking character, I wish they'd bring him back, not as a playable but maybe hiding somewhere in a snow level or something.

Chara_bark.gif

• 2 years later...

I really loved "Sonic The Hedgehog 3-Dimensional Blast" for the "Personal Computer". The music is fantastic (thanks Ricky) and the game-play was extremely unique and I wish they'd do it again.

I actually think Advance 1 was a better attempt at a worthy follow up to the Genesis trilogy than Sonic 4. Better levels, more options and an extra character that was actually a pretty fun variation on the normal gameplay. It was a bit unoriginal in places and the characters seemed a bit imbalanced (Sonic lost some of his abilities from 3+K while Tails and Knuckles gained some, and while Amy was deceptively fun she still seemed the weakest of the lot) but otherwise it was a deceptively solid game. Add classic style aesthetics and I think fans would have been up in arms about it.

Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine is honestly one of the best Sonic games of all time.

Yes. Yes. Yes. 

I remember hating Mean Bean Machine as a kid, due to not really taking to one screen puzzle games and being outraged by an Adventures of Sonic game that didn't feature him or Tails in it. Later on, I tried the game again out of interest. I arguably played it more obsessively than I did the main series titles.

Next to everything about it is solid. Yeah it's Puyo Puyo tweaked, but I actually prefer the AoSth aesthetic (even if I still think it would have worked a lot better with Sonic actually in it). The character animations are more fluid and expressive and the remixed soundtrack is also awesome. I dare anyone to play this and not end up humming this ceaselessly:

The 8 bit version felt like a heavy downgrade but had some fun extras like Puzzle Mode.

I'm all for Sonic 3 Remastered and all that, but I'd actually love even more for Taxman and Stealth to try out this one. :D

• Thumbs Up 1

Is Sonic Advance 1 really that obscure tho? I mean, as a Sonic handheld, yeah. But it's mentioned almost with the same frequency as the Rush titles.

I dunno. I'm on the same level as you about it. It at least probably deserves more praise than it got.

Well, it sorta did given that Sonic 4 was ass to a lot of people and everyone who's played it has pointed to Advance 1 for nailing aspects of the classic formula such as the physics almost a decade before the former game.

Kinda telling that they still can't do this.

Well either way it was a good game. Amy at least was an underrated gameplay style.

I'm also on the bandwagon that 3D Blast wasn't that bad. It naturally felt like a serious downgrade after S3+K but it was fun in it's own way and I remember loving the cosmetics as a kid.

Your not lame. It's a really good (genesis) game IMO. It should have had playable Tails and Knuckles along with Super Sonic, which felt like a missed opportunity, but overall it is a fun game.

I really want to play the Saturn version of 3d Blast, which I have never played. I hear that the Saturn version has a great soundtrack.

I thought that too as a kid. Actually I thought the flicky mechanic would have been perfect for a multiplayer VS mode.

Mean Bean Machine's faces were all kinds of what the hell, but it's a good ride.

Sonic 1 for the Master System has a Scrap Brain theme that is better than the Mega Drive version thanks to Yuzo Koshiro (the guy behind Streets Of Rage's excellent soundtracks). Sky Base was also the first flying fortress in the entire series, and with having three completely different acts (first the construction launch site, then the main base outer, then the final boss inside), it was visually amazing for the MS/GG with it's stormy rolling clouds. I'd have loved to have seen something like this again.

*o* i looooove Sonic obscure games! specially the game gear ones ...its one of my hobbies to play them.. even when i still don't download all of them XD

To me it's owning them. Of course being obscure, this immediately makes it a collector's galore. So actually owning them in person is the best thing!

Oh and discovering music you've never heard before, ones which are catchy and you never knew about all these years. There's still several Sonic games I've yet to play, or hear the music to ^^

i agree . with that  :lol:

i like also because they have really rare pictures..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIE1mUY77nw&feature=player_detailpage

Sonic YAY.. the game.. ohh.. well..

EDIT: ohh gawd  i just warn you.. DX at the end of the video appears Sonic-chu i don't have any idea WHY??

Edited by Drawloverlala

• 4 weeks later...

Sonic Pinball Party. Yeah, I'm going there. I enjoy listening to the GBA renditions of songs like Open Your Heart, Super Sonic Racing and Dreams Dreams. I dunno, it's just kinda neat.

It's still kind of weird for me to think of the Game Gear library as "obscure", because as a kid in elementary school, I knew a good number of people other than myself who had a Game Gear. It was no Game Boy, of course, but generally, other kids I talked to seemed to be at least somewhat familiar with the 8-bit handheld Sonic games, especially the first two.

Anyway, with that being said, I definitely have a lot of fond memories with some of the Game Gear Sonic games, with my favorite of them being Sonic Triple Trouble. I had both Game Boy and Game Gear as a kid, but I found myself playing the Game Gear a lot more during family trips and stuff. Sonic Triple Trouble especially had an amazing 8-bit soundtrack and some unique ideas that you don't really see in the other Sonic games (rocket shoes, controllable submarine, etc.)

I've also recently been getting more into playing Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine over the last few years. I completely dismissed it as a kid because of its insane difficulty after the first two or three stages, but playing it now, I feel like at some point I might be able to actually complete it without any cheats or save states or anything like that. Someday... Also, that game is really fun for multiplayer.

Interesting level tropes.

Mghz.png

Particularly this.

I mean Mecha Green Hill Zone.

Seriously.

• Thumbs Up 1

I really like Knuckles' Chaotix and it's probably my third favorite 2D Sonic game. I also find it interesting and somewhat cool how Sonic's sprites in Sonic's Schoolhouse look like the ones from Sonic Xtreme.

I love Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine. I adore puzzle games like that, so it's like two of my favorite things combined.

I also adored the wonkiness that is Sonic 3-D Blast. I found it hella fun as a kid to just run around like all hell around the place.

I still need to play Chaotix, though. :\

I really do like the 3D Blast music. The lack of pits is another good thing, and I wish they'd put that in the behind-the-back Sonic games. It was also really fun meandering around those big checkered grids as a tyke.

The Ifrit from Sonic Rivals 2 is one of the monsters I see as having the most potential. Basically, talking about him will result in a lot of Blaze-related weirdness, so I've decided not to tell you much. Basically, he's responsible for Silver being alone in the Rivals series. Also, just look at his smile!

I really do like the 3D Blast music. The lack of pits is another good thing, and I wish they'd put that in the behind-the-back Sonic games. It was also really fun meandering around those big checkered grids as a tyke.

Me in a nutshell in terms of Sonic 3D blast.

Does Sonic and the black knight count as an obscure game. I like the boxart and the music and voice acting plus story. But that's pretty much it.

SegaSonic_title.png

Sega Sonic the hedgehog is by far my favorite obscure Sonic game. BY FAR.

Not sure why honestly, it's just so much fun to play through from time to time. Especially in multiplayer.

The art style, the character quirks, the insane level design. It's just all so good to me.