Awoo.

Name Change Period (Bug?)

Wentos

Alright, I figured I'd try and report this since I'm unsure of how intentional it is.

When one goes to change their display name, it claims that you're allowed to change your time twice in a 15 day period. One would think this means that you get 2 name changes every 15 days, and until recently, I'm pretty sure that's how it was. It seems though that now, you only get one name change back every 15 days. I'm not sure if this is a bug or an intentional change, but it personally bothers me. I change my display name relatively often for fun, and it's a real pain to have to wait half a month every time I want to change it again. I've PM'd bmn twice now requesting an early name change for this reason, and it only now occured to me to ask about it. What's up?

• Thumbs Up 2

See, I know the name changes are all just a bit of fun, but really couldn't agree more. It's practically impossible to keep track of who everyone is.

Edited by Felix
  • Thumbs Up 2

If this was an intentional choice that no one has the desire to change, could you be kind enough to at the very least update the message to more accurately represent what it is we're getting?

Edited by Marine the Racoon

Members can change their display name twice every fourteen days. That means you can change your name to and then back again in that period of time.

If you only use one per that period, it simply resets after the two week sample period and isn't additive. There's no way for you to obtain extra changes or fewer changes, it's a flat rate. I can change them back for members and have, but I rarely change them to anything besides your original name.

This limitation is in place so others on the forums can actually figure out who they're talking to. It becomes an absolute menace for moderators over time as well, as you can probably imagine.

• Thumbs Up 6

Name changes... meh. I'll stick with Komodin; it's the handle everyone here know me by, anyway.

• Thumbs Up 4

Well, I've been on this forum for about... a year? And I try to keep my name and icon consistant, just to make things easier for everyone.

I do agree that when members keep changing their names (and icons, but that's less of an issue), it becomes hard to know who's who.

I mean, people seem to be treating name-changes like status updates...

I tend to cycle through variations of Cola, so it's easy to recognize me.

And then there are the times I'm "Heart".

I also use the same signature all the time, so there's that.

Anyway, I'm happy with the name changes as they are. Prevents it from being abused.

That sounds more like a nitpick though. Either way if I don't recognize someone I just look at their display names, not really that hard. :P

cola you smell >:U

• Thumbs Up 1

Heh...Heheh...

*ahem*

Kinda funny. I wanted to change my name to something completely different because I was tired of the same old thing. Now that I've changed it, I don't feel like myself anymore, and have a strong urge to change it back. But I've used up my two changes.

On that note, there is something about how the name change thingie is phrased that confuses me. I'll try to explain...

You have made 2 of 2 display name changes since 01 Nov 2012. You are permitted to make 2 changes in a 14 day period.

Changing your display name will not affect your log in details.

The date that was mentioned. Is that when the fourteen day period started? A date when I lasted changed my name? Or just some random date?

I figured if it was the date the 14 day period started, it would've restarted by now, since it's the 15th of November. Or am I asking too soon and it'll restart later today? XP

I do not wish to be a pain in the posterior. ^^;

The date that was mentioned. Is that when the fourteen day period started? A date when I lasted changed my name? Or just some random date?

I figured if it was the date the 14 day period started, it would've restarted by now, since it's the 15th of November. Or am I asking too soon and it'll restart later today? XP

I do not wish to be a pain in the posterior. ^^;

The date that is mentioned is the date of the first of the two name changes you did I believe.

Edited by Blue Wisp
  • Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

I think we should also get rid of avatar changes, because personally that's really how I know you all.......

I like my name changes, but like others have said, I also find it hard to keep track of people I often talk to on the forums with all these name changes going around. Heck, one time I thought someone left the board for like two months and then I figured out that the member just changed their name a bunch of times.

Well, I'm sure i won't change mine. It's my name and nothing has it here. Really, I don't come here very often but I remember those people who NEVER change their names and leave their original avatars (like Komodin).

Personally, I don't like the name changes at all and people who change them.. well they just get lost in all posts. And if you don't change your real name why to constantly change it on forum. It's like your ID.

Maybe those who come here a lot can keep on track, but for "few times in a week" stalkers it's a hard task :D

• Thumbs Up 1