Awoo.

Sonic's Dark Age: How did you cope?

Soniman

Sonic Unleashed HD, the Rush Series, and Secret Rings excluded (depending on your views), 2005 through late 2010 was like a constant stream of crappy, subpar and mediocre games for Sonic starting with Shadow the Hedgehog (or Heroes depending on how you look at it), climaxing with Sonic 06 and ending with Sonic Free Riders.

Lets go over the cruddy many games that came out during this era.

The Riders Series: I actually think the first installment is a fairly decent game, the sequels though? Fucking garbage, they are completely unfun as a racing game and almost incapable for decently fun multiplayerm especially Free Riders with its Kinect garbage.

The Rivals Series: A utterly unremarkable series in every respect. I can't think of a single thing that this series excelled at. The stories were bland, the gameplay was dull, the music was generic and unmemorable. Honestly though, this is probably the best of the worse as it being a bland game, it doesn't offend me in anyway.

Sonic Chronicles: Horrible story with OOC Sonic characters, god awful music that grates the ears, and a mediocre battle system. Being a DS Sonic game, I fortunately skipped out on this so I didn't have to suffer, but I was aware of all the awful things it had done.

Sonic Unleashed SD: Unleashed HD had me so hyped because of how awesome it looked at the time, so much that I actually settled for the awful Wii/PS2 Version. Everything about this game pisses me off, especially when you compare it to the HD version. The Sonic levels were automated garbage with zero platforming and with only two or three ways to play the stage. The levels where dominated by the Werehog made up for 75% of the game, the hub worlds were pointless point and click garbage, they took out two entire goddamn levels to save on cost and development time, I just hate this game and everything it stands for.

Sonic and the Black Knight: This is where things got really bad for me, I was so hyped for this game that I bought it practically at launch and payed the full price for it, I thought it was going to be so awesome. Now though? Garbage. The gameplay is mind-numbing and repetitive, id much rather play as the Werehog that go through a single level of this waggle fest. I used to say it was at least better than Unleashed SD, but now I'm not sure anymore, I hate both games but at least Black Knight bothered to be a complete game.

Sonic 4: This game is something like a false prophet in my eyes, it was seen by a lot of fans as the game that would pull Sonic out of his rut. But as more and more of the game was revealed it just kept getting worse and worse. The graphics were plastic the level designs were rehashed from past Sonic games, and the physics were so fucked up and unClassic that Dimps should really never have touched another Sonic game after this. I remember defining this game to death in its early days despite all the apparent flaws it had. But by the time the game was delayed due to the leak that showed off the game's badness I stopped giving about a shit about Sonic 4, so much so that I had no idea it was actually released until like a month after the fact since I was to busy focusing on Colors.

As a fan during this time I was mostly taking it all in. I didn't hang around Sonic forums back then so I was basically all by my lonesome, there was only one other guy in real life who shared my interest in Sonic who had lent me Secret Rings (which I enjoyed at the time) and I hanged around deviant art reading bad fan fiction and drawing stupid stories with Sonic in them. Near the end I had suffered with the double whammy of Unleashed SD and Black Knight which had caused me to utterly despise Sonic for awhile, needless to say, it wasn't a super fun time for me.

So how about you guys? How did you cope with Sonic's rut?

Edited by Soniman
  • Thumbs Up 1

I left the fanbase. I saw the 06 backlash(which is didn't hear of before playing, but I digress), and seeing the massive hate(and hearing Sonic Cycle over and over again) the series got pretty much convinced me to pack up and leave. Fortunately Gen IV of Pokemon was in it's swing, so I took refuge there. It took Generations for me to recognize myself as a fan again.

I became a fan when I got Unleashed (both versions). I generally noticed all of the hate and anger during that period, but I just shrugged it off and did my thing; playing games I enjoyed, even if they weren't amazing (Riders Gravity being one of them). So yeah, I'd say I was pretty much unscathed by the whole shebang.

I mostly ignored the franchise's main series installments around the time '06 came around, mostly because the series were now on consoles I didn't have. Not to mention the ShTH/'06 backlash. I think I paid some attention during the Unleashed hype (I vaguely even remember checking out SSMB back then), but I only ended up getting the Wii version which...yeeeah. Let's just say, based on my experience with the SD version, I was really confused why people praised the daytime stages so much. I also played Secret Rings and Black Knight which I found...okay, mostly, and the first Riders (only game in that series I played) was alright.

So it wasn't all that bad, for me. I had other series to be a fan of, anyway. I mean seriously, there's tons of video game franchises, not to mention plenty other fictional works to be into. pls stop being so impatient waiting for the next sonic game aarghlajelajrealjr

It wasn't until Colours that I got back into the series and the fanbase. (I didn't pay much attention to Sonic 4, even before the...to put it nicely, controversy.)

Edited by elementofchaos7

I still brought and played all of the games anyway despite the reviews and what people are saying about them. Some of them I end up liking and don't find them to be really bad at all (like Sonic Unleashed HD for example). If the game sucks then it sucks and I'll get over it and wait for the next one. I'm not going to hold a grudge and hate the series cause of a couple of bad or mediocre games.

Edited by sonfan1984
  • Thumbs Up 5

Pretty much what VEDJ-F said I just adapted to the changes as they went on.

At the time I hardly ever went on the internet so I was never jaded towards each title that came out in that period.

Shadow the hedgehog was the game that got me back into Sonic, because at the time I was getting bored of playing Sonic heroes and Devil may cry 2 (that game did suck!)

So yeah, I just adapted? with each new installment.

The "dark age" term was non-existent until I started going on the internet more frequently. :D

I wish I didn't now.

:(

Edited by NISA
  • Thumbs Up 1

I dunno. Should I share my expirence? Or should I let someone else tell it?

Meh. The way I coped back in Sonic's Dark Ages was no different from what I did to day, except I was far more fiery, far more intense, and I pulled the same cheap shots as fans tried to pull on me. Back then, my name was such that if members like Chooch were to so much as see my name reading the topic, they were to be preparing for the worst. You seriously did not want to approach me unless you knew the subject better than me, such as people like Tornado who was one of the few members that I mostly stayed far away from arguing with back then.

So basically, fandom-wise, anyone fought me, I fought back harder whenever I knew my battles.

Regarding the games I've played, it was mainly the major titles and occasionally the Riders. I defended ShTH up until I realized I was showing some MAJOR fanboy tendencies, and it helps that I played other titles that actually worked and understood why they worked. Sonic 06, I basically sent back as soon as I beat it.

The Rivals I've played. Not exactly the most remarkable, but very non-offensive. The Advances were probably the best out of the lot despite declining quality in level design screwing up a lot of how I would play the game. And aside from that I did my usual thing right until Unleashed came out on the 360/PS3.

Now if we're including Heroes? That game I enjoyed to an extent before I got bored of it since it was too repetitive.

So...yeah.

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic
  • Thumbs Up 1

The first proper 3d Sonic game I played was Sonic Heroes (unless you count the isometric Sonic 3d Blast or racing game Sonic R). It was an interesting game. I initally liked the game despite it's problems, but got bored of it as it was repetitive, and these days I can't stand playing it.

- So I wasn't particularly impressed with my first proper 3d Sonic experience, but I gave Sonic Team the benefit of the doubt and waited for their next game.

ShTH had a similar feel to Heroes, so I compared the two games a lot. I have always enjoyed playing ShTH a lot more. Like Heroes, ShTH has it's share of problems, but I prefer the structure and gameplay of ShTH. I also prefer ShTH's soundtrack.

I bought Sonic 06 when it was first released. I played Sonic's story (and a bit of Shadow's and Silver's) up to just before Kingdom Valley. I then stopped playing and got rid of my copy. Quite frankly, that game was an embarassment to play. That was first time I had ever got rid of a game, let alone before completing it.

- I had my copies of Sonic Mega Collection Plus and Sonic Gems Collection to play instead, so I wasn't completely dis-illusioned with Sonic. I felt though that 2d Sonic games trumpted 3d Sonic games at that time.

Did exactly the same with Sonic Unleashed (PS3). It was a much better game than Sonic 06, but still had a lot of issues, so I got fed up with the game and got rid of my copy as well.

I got Sonic 4 Ep1 in 2011 (just before Generations), and didn't like it because of the dreadful momentum-less physics, the lack of replay value, and that Sonic Team lied about that game being a sequel to the classics. It has modern gameplay and not classic gameplay.

Sonic Generations was a big improvement over Unleashed and Sonic 06. I also finally got my hands on SA1 & SA2 this year, and they were easily the best 3d games of the last decade in my eyes. This has restored my faith in 3d Sonic games to an extent, but there is still a way to go.

Edited by NightwingFox

Cope? I don't think I was particularly strained during this time. I just played them, had fun, and then waited for the next title, same as I do now.

• Thumbs Up 2

Okay, before anything else i just have to ask you; what in the world makes the story of Chronicles any worse than what we normally get in Sonic games? I'd say the story of Chronicles could at worst be described as mediocre, but still above average for this series. So to single out that game for having a "horrible story" seems odd to me. But by all means, explain to me what makes you feel that way about it.

Anyway, more on topic, i think i coped with the dark age simply by hoping and also believing that the series would eventually get its shit together again. I was and still is worried about the negative image that the series has gotten in among the gaming public though.

Well, I came into the fanbase around 2010, my friend introduced me to SONIC HEROES (Which I loved), and later got so hyped for SONIC COLOURS that I bought it even though I didn't have a Wii. I have experenced what some will call "The Dark Ages" games as I made it my misson to track down and play every damn Sonic game that ever existed, so let me give you my opinions on them:

Sonic Heroes: As I said, this was my first Sonic game, and probably the best entry into Sonic anyone could ever have. It's not too modern, it's not too classic either ... I love this game. Sure, the graphics aren't any better than a movie tie-in, but up until then all I'd ever played was movie tie-ins! This game was awesome!

Shadow the Hedgehog: Agian, as with Sonic Heroes, I like this game. I think it's a fun little game. It also signifies the time when Sonic took a level in badass to me, purely because of the intro:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QoNEHIIy4RA

See this intro? Compare it to Sonic Heroes intro. Whoa man, the quality of that CGI! This game was awesome to me, and I still love playing it.

Sonic Riders 1/2: Sonic Riders is basically like every since racing game I've ever played. You play the same lap over and over until you win. I don't see what the big problem is. I think the plot is alright, it reminds me of Sonic X (that's a compliment), and the animation style helps comliment that. Sure, we later found out that the Babalyon Rogues were aliens (why does sega have an obsession with aliens).

Sonic '06: Hmm. If I defend this game, people will undoubtably hate me. Let me just say that despite it's broken-ness, I still had fun with this game. Not the fun the developers intended, but there's still a sense of satisfaction with the whole "Screw you! Despite everything that's broken about this game, I still beat it!" thing.

Also, flying with Omega is awesome.

Sonic and the Secret Rings/Black Knight: I had fun with these games. Isn't that all that matters? Also, I stand by my statement that Secret Rings was the prototype for modern gameplay.

Sonic Unleashed Wii: Yeah, this wasn't the best game in the world. It had too much were-hog, and they tried to flesh out the Sonic side with challenges. That wasn't too much of a problem until I came to EGGMANLAND's timed challenge. I HATE that challenge. It's almost impossible. But I still liked it. So Unleashed Wii, not the best, but still a good subsitute if you can't get the HD versions.

Sonic FreeRiders: Never played it, but man, but i've watched the story and it sucked. Everyone seems to be out of character, and it's a disgrace compared to the stories the Riders series had before. Nothing more than a tacky Heroes rip-off. Unlike the other entries, I don't like this game (despite not ever playing it).

So yeah, I like and will play almost all the Sonic Games.

Also, I find it funny that when people say "DARK AGES" of Sonic, they're usually refering to this sort of thing:

ShadowTheHedgehogWallpaper800.jpg

"I AM SHADOW THE HEDGEHOG! STEALING CANDY FROM BABIES IS ALRIGHT BY ME! DEATH TO ALL WHO OPPOSE ME! RRAAARRRGGGGHHH!"

Edited by Paradox

Heroes was my only 3D Sonic for years (until 2008), and I almost got Shadow at release but skipped it to get Rush instead as I'd played the Advance games and loved them by then. I didn't have a 360 for a long time actually but even then the more of 06 I saw, the more I was repelled.

I didn't even get Unleashed at release because of the lack of 360, but when I finally did a couple of years ago I caught up. I also made someone buy me Shadow for a Christmas present a few years back because I'd heard it was really bad and didn't want to spend money on it myself. Sound logic, perhaps, but I ended up spending my own money on 06 just 3 and a half years later out of morbid curiosity.

So yeah, in short, I kind of skipped over it somewhat, I was more involved with the Pokemon fanbase at this point anyway, I had no idea how bad the Sonic fanbase could be.

I'd hate to say it, but I have not had a dark age and have enjoyed each game as they came from the different aspects that it delivered, I mean...I'm not saying Sonic 06 was good, but the fact that it is still a game I could play and find something in it that made me enjoy it. I enjoyed its music and even if the levels were terrible, the music was good and I could keep playing because I was enjoying the music. I was lent the game by somebody else which turned out we just ended up playing it together, it was fun with a friend.

As for the other games, I never did buy them because I was low on funds, but I'd still buy them now if only because they're cheap as hell now (I can afford to miss a cup of coffee for the price of one of those games). The problem is I'm not all that fussed on what I play so long as I find something enjoyable in it; however, there are a few games I won't play:

Not going to touch the Riders series. I've seen all I've needed to see on youtube and I don't have anybody I can play with, so I'm skipping out on these.

That's about it, really. I'm one of those players who will play a game because it's got interesting gameplay and not because of graphics or whatever.

• Thumbs Up 1

I didn't give a shit.

I was like what? 8? 12? Between that?

Kids that age just play the game and have fun with it, they usually don't care about quality. 06 was so bad it was hilarious, and I knew that.

I made sure to cut myself every night to ease the pain.

"Dark Age" is actually a pretty overblown thing to call it actually. Really only ShTH and 06 were the offenders, and people still play them anyways. (Well, 06 at least).

EDT: Also

The Riders Series: I actually think the first installment is a fairly decent game, the sequels though? Fucking garbage, they are completely unfun as a racing game and almost incapable for decently fun multiplayerm especially Free Riders with its Kinect garbage.

ABOUT FUCKING TIME SOMEONE OTHER THAN ME SAID IT grumblegrumblegrumblegrumble

Edited by Underaged Hot Anime Girl
  • Thumbs Up 4

I merely continued to play the Sonic games I liked, as well as playing other games I liked. Like a normal human being.

Bad/mediocre games aside though, I still think the whole "Dark Age" tag is over the top, and only highlights the series' unfortunate reputation.

In any case, here's my viewpoint on the games from 2002-2010:

The Advance series - Love them to pieces. Advance 2 was the very game that introduced me to the series after all.

Heroes - Had a little fun with it. I prefer to see the game as just Team Sonic (and maybe Team Chaotix). And until Colours came along, it was the first main console game to bring back the more colourful and imaginery worlds.

Battle - A lot of fun when you're bored, even if I don't think of the story quite as highly as most do.

Shadow - A guilty pleasure, even if I know what a piece of shit it is and usually stay away from it anyway since I prefer playing games I genuinely like.

The Rush series - Love them to pieces as well, but especially Rush Adventure. I love Rush Adventure so much...

The Riders series - The first two are okay I suppose, even if most of my interest is towards the pretty course settngs and what they'd be like as proper zones. I've not played Free Riders, and I don't really plan (or want) to.

Sonic 06 - Nah.

The Rivals series - The only thing I had any interest for in these were some of the potential zones. Otherwise, it's all a waste for me. Rubbish stories, the characters all act like morons, and every track in the game sounds the same to me.

Secret Rings - Don't care much for it, even if I love Erazor and the Sonic/Shahra relationship.

Chronicles - Eh? Eh. Some of the characters weren't too bad, and I did actually like the Nocturnous.

Unleashed - I had such-a nice-a time with this one, especially after the 2006 depression.

Black Knight - Same as Secret Rings, don't care much for it. And while I like Merlina, I really don't like the story nearly as much as others around here.

Sonic 4 Episode 1 - ...I still had fun with it. So there.

Back then, my name was such that if members like Chooch were to so much as see my name reading the topic, they were to be preparing for the worst.

...You were a pain in the ass back then xD.

Eh, I was young back then so wasn't entirely aware of the problems of the franchise like I would be today. I had a blast with Heroes, Battle and the Advances and found myself somehow able to build great hype for ShTH. I can't appreciate enough that Rush and Shadow were released on the same day though, I was only 14 at the time but having those 2 games at the exact same time really made me evaluate the entire franchise rather than just see past the problems as I probably would have done.

I found myself favouring Rush by a huge milestone and after discovering this forum for the first time found that I wasn't alone and then I guess I kinda became aware of the franchise's bigger picture through this place. Riders was good, flawed but good, after ShTH it was nice to see some colour again.

Then 06, oh god. That game was fucking hormonal. I've never hyped a game quite like I did that and nowadays I honestly can't even see why. We all knew it was going to be shit, there was no way it wouldn't be but somehow we believed there was a good game hiding behind all those ridiculous screenshots.

Thank fuck for Secret Rings though, shit controls aside that game saved me from giving up on Sonic.

Hum... During the "dark-age", I just didn't played Sonic 06. I didn't had the system to play it, but heck I wanted to! I've played Shadow, both Rush, Unleashed SD and HD (friend's house), Secret Rings and Black Knight (Dolphin), Sonic 4 and I enjoyed them, some more than others. I got to play 06 around this years February, and yeah, I didn't liked it AT ALL. But that's it. I don't care how people call that "age", I still wanted to play the games by myself to give my own veredict, I always did like that.

I dunno man, I played the games until I realized most of them sucked, then I ranted about it on the internet. The end?

I went into a depressive state, and had to be put into rehab. I went broke, I lost my girlfriend, and I failed out of High School. Why? Because Sonic wasn't making good game.

I went about my life normally, I wasn't really into the fanbase back then, even then I didn't really care enough to argue about it.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm not sure how 2005-2010 counts as a dark age in the context of the OP in the first place. Hindsight is wonderful and all that, but when those games came out and people were actually playing them for the first time, people didn't treat them like they were the scum of the Earth. Especially not things like Chronicles or the Rivals games, which had huge amounts of love when they were new.

Ergo, most people coped with said "dark age" by playing those games listed in the OP and enjoying them for an extended period of time. The only exceptions in that period were loathed upon arrival by pretty much everyone were Black Knight and STH '06.

Edited by Tornado
  • Thumbs Up 6

You may not believe or agree but for me the dark Sonic's ages are now.

- No good stories

- No other playable characters

- No characters involved into the stories

- Lack of rock music

- Short games

- Incredibly linear games

- Easy games

- Low replayability and lack of bonus content

I miss the times that many people label as Sonic's dark ages. For me it was much better and lively than what I have now.

I still hope they'll bring back some of things I loved (including playable characters and good stories) though.

Edited by ArtFenix
  • Thumbs Up 4