Awoo.

Top Down Games

Chaos Walker

Well, it'd have to happen eventually. :I

After working on a couple tabletop/board games, I'm now working on designing an ios/Android phone game, and the art (which I'm drawing myself) has been giving me quite some trouble. And so, I'd like to know if anyone has any suggestions of good looking 2D games with a top-down perspective I want some references to help me out.

For example, I first thought of the Legend of Zelda games:

Zelda%20-%20the%20Minish%20Cap%20(2).gif

All help is appreciated, thanks. :3

Edited by Chaos Walker

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Chaos Walker

• Emmett L. Brown

• redhellc

• Solkia

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, it'd have to happen eventually. :I

After working on a couple tabletop/board games, I'm now working on designing an ios/Android phone game, and the art (which I'm drawing myself) has been giving me quite some trouble. And so, I'd like to know if anyone has any suggestions of good looking 2D games with a top-down perspective I want some references to help me out.

For example, I first thought of the Legend of Zelda games:

All help is appreciated, thanks. :3

As well as zelda you could also use pokemon, final fantasy games, I mean there are a lot of rpg's that use that perspective or similar.

If I may ask what kind of game is it?

The Chaos Engine was a good top-down shooter from the early nineties that neverthless manged to look graphically impressive for its time. Might be worth some inspiration for simple art styles that nonetheless look good:

final fantasy games

Any recomendations? I've never played ANY of those games, and it's quite a large series if I remember correctly.

If I may ask what kind of game is it?

A vertical shooter with Adventure elements. Imagine this:

dragonbird2_uiq.pngWith This:142.png

The level scrolls upwards, while the character interacts with the environment to progress. Unlike link though, you dispatch enemies with flurries of shots, meanwhile dodging their own bullet curtains. It's an odd blurring of genres that will take a lot of work to get them to work together, but I have plenty of time to work on it while I finish off my G.E.

The Chaos Engine was a good top-down shooter from the early nineties that neverthless manged to look graphically impressive for its time. Might be worth some inspiration for simple art styles that nonetheless look good:

Between different examples I see that I have choices with how I want to handle the perspective. I didn't really plan it out at first (which is why I'm redoing all the art now.) but I like the sort of 3/4 or 4/5 view here. It's more interesting than directly overhead, though Zelda gives an interesting option of purposely being inconsistent with the perspective when it comes to floors, walls, and characters, just so you can see more things from better angles.

Edited by Chaos Walker