Awoo.

The Official Teletubbies Topic

Shrek

Shrek, you need some sort of medal for making these topics man.

What do I think of Teletubbies? They were like proto-horror flicks to baby-me. I'm not sure if I should thank the little creeps for helping me deal with true terror, or if I really should just retch at the whole concept. Maybe both.

• Thumbs Up 1

I remember walking in and seeing my sister watching it once. I saw the sun baby, and that was it. Walked right out of that room and never looked back.

• Thumbs Up 1

I have absolutely no idea if I watched this show when I was growing up, since I don't remember stuff from that far back. I remember one summer being stuck watching the PBS stuff with my little sister who liked the stuff. We'd change it to Price is Right cause it's less creepy.

I remember it being a new controversial thing because they didn't speak properly and all kids would become stupid due to it. I was already 10/11 when it started, so I have no memories of this actually being relevant, I'm afraid. My Dad used to get me colouring books and stuff from it as a joke, since he knew it really annoyed me.

It's frightening stuff though.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm remember this, It was my forth favorite show as a very little kid next to Mr. Rodgers, Sesame Street and Blue Clues. Watching it years later make it me realize how surreal the concept was.

Oh and about that sun.

teletubbies_baby.jpg

• Thumbs Up 8

I'm remember this, It was my forth favorite show as a very little kid next to Mr. Rodgers, Sesame Street and Blue Clues. Watching it years later make it me realize how surreal the concept was.

Oh and about that sun.

teletubbies_baby.jpg

Good lord... That is beyond messed up. ohmy.png

Oh and about that sun.

teletubbies_baby.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2

But then they'd have to be even fatter to allow for 16:9, which would no doubt cause further controversy in the show potentially influencing child obesity.

EDIT: Also looking back on this as an adult, I'm thinking bad things about the shapes of the antennae on Dipsy and Po's heads. mellow.png

Edited by -Mark-

This show had all manner of creepy aspects... Most chilling were those little side stories which didn't feature the Teletubbies themselves.

Subject A: The Fuzzy Bear and the Scary Lion

Maybe its just the uncanny valley kicking in... but isn't something about that Lion talking and the bear sticking its tongue out just... disturbing?

Subject B: The Doll's house

That doll at the end... Well, the puppet is pretty standard given what kids TV in the UK has given us before (Rosie and Jim, Tots TV etc) but something about this puppet feels... off.

• Thumbs Up 1

I was a little too old for them when they came out so I never really watched it properly.

That said, I have massive respect for the show, I've watched interviews with it's creators and it's one of the most intelligently put together programs for toddlers I've ever seen.

Everything about the world and the characters were created for the purpose of giving children as much educational content as possible while still entertaining them. One example I can think of off the top of my head is they found out kids that age have trouble learning something if only shown it once, that's the reason that the teletubbies show videos on their stomachs, then shout "again again" and show the exact same video twice.

Very smart show.

TELETUBBIES IS BAD FOR YOUR CHILDREN BECAUSE TINKY WINKY CARRIES A HANDBAG AROUND

The innocent world of the Teletubbies is under attack from America's religious right.

The Reverend Jerry Falwell, a former spokesman for America's Moral Majority, has denounced the BBC TV children's show. He says it does not provide a good role model for children because Tinky Winky is gay.

Cheerful Tinky Winky, the purple character with the triangular aerial on his head, carries a handbag - but apart from that seems much the same as his friends Laa-Laa, Dipsy and Po.

The characters are famous for their use of baby language, including the catchphrases "eh-oh" meaning "hello", and "uh-oh" for "oh dear".

But the Teletubbies have made the Rev Falwell, chancellor of Liberty University in Lynchburg, Virginia, hot under the collar. He decided to "out" Tinky Winky in the February edition of his National Liberty Journal.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/276677.stm

Hated this show, I hated it then I hate it now.

So yeah did I mention I hate this show?

Seriously though its hard to explain why I disliked it. I was 6 or 7 when this show came out and two of my friends and some of my class liked it and I didn't. I found dumb to be honest compared to other little kids shows of the time.huh.png

I think also some of the hype at the time annoyed me.

Then again maybe of some of you wouldn't get the appeal of shows I watched like Rosie And Jim, Brum, Playschool, Clangers and Pingu. I can't remember any others though I am sure I watched a few more.

If someone starts remember the Tweenies topic? I am going to feel prehistoric!sad.png

Edited by BW199148

Aside from the aforementioned doll house scene (that scene when he stares directly at the audience at the end.....sad.png), the Bear/Lion segment (the way those things move alone is enough to list them at the bottom of the uncanny valley), I didn't find this sun or the show overall very scary at all. I always liked Noo-Noo (the vacuum cleaner thing) as well and the tap-dancing bear, although the CGI used for that scene is really dated to the point that scene too comes off as a bit creepy, although it's definitely not as bad as the other two in my opinion). Lovely music though.

Edited by Zinos

I was around 3 years old when the show started, so I suppose I was maybe too old for it (because it was literally a baby show- by that time I was watching shows like Thomas the Tank Engine and Pingu- and within a year my favourite show was Dexter's Laboratory) but my brother sometimes watched it and I do remember the horrifying lion/bear skit.

I think Barney might be worse, but I've never liked the Teletubbies.

I liked to watch it when I was a kid.

I even had a Tinky Winky doll that said something when you pressed is belly and some video tapes.

I liked to watch it when I was a kid.

I even had a Tinky Winky doll that said something when you pressed is belly and some video tapes.

Would that be the one that caused lots of controversy because the "again, again!" sounded like "I got a gun!"? :P

the all-time classic educational show, the Teletubbies.

I literally learned nothing from this show. D=

But no, really, it's pure visual stimulation material for pre-schoolers and not much else.

Tubby Custard/Toast did always look delicious though. They released them as actual products but the tubby custard was just strawberry yoghurt.

Pfft.

• Thumbs Up 6