Awoo.

Your Unanswered Sonic Questions

Person

17 minutes ago, VEDJ-F said:

Honestly, I could see Cream's voice actresses (both before and after the replacement in 2010) doubling up to play Marine. That's what happened with Vector from 2007, and Marine seems even more candidate for it. 

Hmm, interesting. It's not like Blaze herself wasn't guilty of this originally, so I suppose I can see it.

The only other Michelle Ruff role that comes to mind is Rukia, so I suppose I could see that.

Did Rebecca Honig have any other noteworthy role?

21 minutes ago, VEDJ-F said:

Uh, no. She says that she's surprised by seeing it again, not that it's her fault for making it Crisis City. 

Okay, I was wondering if they were referencing another line that they simply neglected to quote.

21 minutes ago, VEDJ-F said:

oikbFl5.png

cct3uRq.png

This is kinda terrifying.

Addendum number three, but I think this one actually seals the deal.

-First point is that there's another similarity; the way the eyes are done (especially with NiGHTS there) are pretty much the same as the Chaotix manual doodles. 

Second point is something I think actually clinches the deal; shoes. Yes, we're going to look at the artistic nuance of how designers do shoes, because the official art of Chaotix captures it strikingly well. 

Vector and Mighty's shoes are very simple sloped shapes. This makes sense because Vector was designed by Ohshima (who did Sonic, who has this style) and the other was very specifically emulating Sonic's look due to the nature of his debut game, even if it's Kusonoki and not Ohshima. There's even a slight touch of artististic difference in the way the socks are done and how much Mighty's stretches (just like his nose). 

iTPy8Ui.png

6TiXYs4.png

Charmy's shoes are a different shape, but it has precedent in Hoshino's designs. 

2VzV7SF.png

0zRoN5H.png

Knuckles' shoes are also a different shape, but it's consistent with the design Yuda did for him in Sonic 3. 

pzfjtvA.png

latest?cb=20101215001622

Espio's shoe shape is a whole load of WTF compared to the styles established before. 

BeKPOD2.png

However, if we look back to the storybook to see how it does shoes...

EnGJMVw.png&key=ee4be706e8fe06853b4b5cf7

05fUO0I.png

aPkyaie.png

There's a lot of weighted, beany, curvy shapes present. Even the socks (or maybe "socks" in Espio's case) are done in the same simplified style compared to the other Sonic characters. It matches up pretty much perfectly. 

That should be the last addendum for now thankfuly. Although the questions from before still apply. 

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Nice Smile 1

Generations being canon raises a lot of questions:

• How did the Eggmen get out of Whitespace?
  • How does Crisis City exist when the timeline it's from was prevented, and why does Blaze recognize it when she never lived there in canon?
  • The game is set on Sonic's birthday. Does that make him 16 now, or was he retroactively 14 beforehand? Or maybe he's like Shadow and doesn't age, but in that case why does Classic Sonic (who at this point is just Sonic from the past) look visibly younger?

2 hours ago, Splash the Otter said:

• How does Crisis City exist when the timeline it's from was prevented, and why does Blaze recognize it when she never lived there in canon?
  • The game is set on Sonic's birthday. Does that make him 16 now, or was he retroactively 14 beforehand? Or maybe he's like Shadow and doesn't age, but in that case why does Classic Sonic (who at this point is just Sonic from the past) look visibly younger?

1. Found the door.

2. Timey-wimey ball

3. He was 15 before, then he turned 15, and Classic Sonic is his younger 15 year old self.

• Thumbs Up 1

54 minutes ago, Razule said:

1. Found the door.

What door? Do you mean a portal appeared like the one for Classic Sonic?

2. Timey-wimey ball

What?

3. He was 15 before, then he turned 15,

Okay, so he doesn't age. That just makes me wonder: how old is he really?

and Classic Sonic is his younger 15 year old self.

That still doesn't explain why he looks different.

3 hours ago, Splash the Otter said:

Well there first mistake was locking two mega geniuses in a room. They were bound to get out sooner or later.

13 minutes ago, Splash the Otter said:

What door? Do you mean a portal appeared like the one for Classic Sonic?

What?

Eggmen said there was a door. They just.. found that door.

Time travel is complicated

Because before 1998's Sonic Adventure, Sonic had a different design. 

• Nice Smile 1

39 minutes ago, Splash the Otter said:

26 going on 27. :P

3 hours ago, Splash the Otter said:

1. Actual answer:

It's just meant to be a joke scene at the end of the game so

2Ba23p.png

1. Headcanon offering: Orbot and Cubot managed to find some way to re-open white space and retrieve the Eggmen while going through Eggman's Time-Eater-related plans.

2. Actual answer:

Sonic Team can't keep their own continuinity straight so

2Ba23p.png

2. Headcanon offering: The Time Eater's time warping powers managed to pull in some locations from other timelines than current Sonic's own.  Maybe in doing so it even restores Sonic and Blaze with some related memories of their selves from that alternate history?

3. Actual answer:

They're just artistic representations of Sonic's appearance for us, the audience's benefit.  It's something you're just supposed to "accept" in the same way that we "accept" Sonic's adventure being portrayed through perfectly constructed obstacle courses tailor-made for his abilities, or the way we "accept" that the anatomy of a Sonic character makes no sense already.  So...

2Ba23p.png

3. Headcanon offering: None - There's really no way to justify this one to be honest, you just have to take it as it is lol.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1

Sonic was tripping out when he said his classic self was his younger self, so classic Sonic corrected him and reminded him that he was from another dimension later.

• Nice Smile 1
  • Fist Bump 1

7 minutes ago, Razule said:

Eggmen said there was a door. They just.. found that door.

That seems like a rather cheap cop-out if you ask me.

Time travel is complicated

This isn't time travel though. This is Rush!Blaze remembering Next Gen!Blaze's backstory.

Yes, but how long has he been 15?

Because before 1998's Sonic Adventure, Sonic had a different design. 

I mean in-universe.

1 minute ago, JezMM said:

2Ba23p.png

What self-respecting franchise expects people to turn their brain off to fully enjoy it?

• Thumbs Up 1

40 minutes ago, Splash the Otter said:

What self-respecting franchise expects people to turn their brain off to fully enjoy it?

Sonic is a self-respecting franchise now?

But really, I'm serious about these examples:

It's something you're just supposed to "accept" in the same way that we "accept" Sonic's adventure being portrayed through perfectly constructed obstacle courses tailor-made for his abilities, or the way we "accept" that the anatomy of a Sonic character makes no sense already.

At least regarding the Classic Sonic's appearance thing.  It's not turning your brain off, it's making sensible decisions about what is worth scrutinising (for the record, the Crisis City/Blaze thing I'd agree IS worth being bothered by, but it is a fact that the real answer is likely that they just didn't care and there is no canon explaination).  Showing the Eggmen escaping would kill the "stinger" aspect of the joke scene if it happened in Generations.  Explaining it in Lost World would just completely alienate those who didn't play Generations with what event is being referred to, especially since the plots aren't relevant to one another like say, SA2 -> Shadow was.

You also don't have to turn your brain off in order to accept that there are events in Sonic's universe that we don't get to see.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1

3 minutes ago, JezMM said:

Sonic is a self-respecting franchise now?

It should be. I know for a fact it used to.

3 minutes ago, JezMM said:

But really, I'm serious about these examples:

At least regarding the Classic Sonic's appearance thing.  It's not turning your brain off, it's making sensible decisions about what to scrutinise.  Showing the Eggmen escaping would kill the "stinger" aspect of the joke scene if it happened in Generations.  Explaining it in Lost World would just completely alienate those who didn't play Generations with what event is being referred to, especially since the plots aren't relevant to one another like say, SA2 -> Shadow was.

You also don't have to turn your brain off in order to accept that there are events in Sonic's universe that we don't get to see.

I guess you're right. I'm just tired of people saying "It's a series about a blue hedgehog, stop taking it seriously!"

• Nice Smile 1

1 hour ago, RedFox99 said:

Why were Rouge and Shadow (and to an extent, most of the cast) acting maliciously in Free Riders?

Because of avarice and arrogance.

Also, because they' were feeling particularly dickish that day, especially Rouge.

1 hour ago, Splash the Otter said:

Why is Classic Robotnik shorter than Modern Eggman?

50 minutes ago, Splash the Otter said:

One that was accused of taking itself way too seriously for years and has since strived to return to the days of adventure.

1 hour ago, DabigRG said:

One that was accused of taking itself way too seriously for years and has since strived to return to the days of adventure.

When was the last time sonic took itself seriously for any long stretch of tim

When was the last time, it not doing that actually helped

And hasn't the cries been the opposite as of late

Black Knight/Unleashed.

2 minutes ago, Cuz said:

Black Knight/Unleashed.

One that's 08/09 which is a decade ago.

Two, i wouldn't really call those games " serious" given the game that came before it which was the for the cause of direction change

2 hours ago, Splash the Otter said:

Not "turn your brain off", exactly, but I think there's plenty of stuff out there that expects you to just roll with it and not sweat the small stuff. It's sort of a "can't see the forest for the trees" thing, getting caught up in small details and minor inconsistencies and missing how the parts work together to create or support the actual story. Not that Generations has any story worth a damn anyway, but it's not like knowing Sonic's exact age or seeing how the Eggmen got out of white space would have made it any better.

• Thumbs Up 1

34 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

When was the last time, it not doing that actually helped

And hasn't the cries been the opposite as of late

Forces tried to be this, but failed at it. 

2 minutes ago, Miragnarok said:

Forces tried to be this, but failed at it. 

I said tried for a long stretch of time.

Forces is the forces in the first " serious" game in about a decade and some change

• Fist Bump 1

Honestly you could argue Lost World tried to, with it's whole create conflict between Sonic and Tails, and robot Tails fake out.

Here's a idea I had a while back: If you could condense the Deadly Six into having fewer members, who would you primarily choose? And who would you combine?

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, DabigRG said:

Here's a idea I had a while back: If you could condense the Deadly Six into having fewer members, who would you primarily choose? And who would you combine?

Cut Zomom and maybe Zik. Retool Zavok and Zeena. Zazz and Zor are fine, although I would exaggerate all of the Zeti's personalities even more than they already are; they're all pretty simple characters, so I think they'd work better the more extreme and caricatured they are.

• Thumbs Up 2

29 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

Cut Zomom and maybe Zik. Retool Zavok and Zeena. Zazz and Zor are fine, although I would exaggerate all of the Zeti's personalities even more than they already are; they're all pretty simple characters, so I think they'd work better the more extreme and caricatured they are.

That's an interesting choice. So you'd like to exaggerate them to a simply surreal point, where they are such stereotypes and caricatures they literally are enveloped into their own set world so much where they would interact with each other and the surrounding environment in a very skewed and distorted, nighmarish manner?