Awoo.

Your Unanswered Sonic Questions

Person

I wouldn't necessarily say "nightmarish", but like, exaggerated to a point where they are clearly not normal people with normal people's concerns and restraints. Let Zazz be not just a guy who is an angry asshole, but more like a physical embodiment of anger and assholeishness. They are meant to be some kind of weird demon/monster things, so I'd expect them to be more alien than just "some guys who are kind of bad".

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1

26 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

I wouldn't necessarily say "nightmarish", but like, exaggerated to a point where they are clearly not normal people with normal people's concerns and restraints. Let Zazz be not just a guy who is an angry asshole, but more like a physical embodiment of anger and assholeishness. They are meant to be some kind of weird demon/monster things, so I'd expect them to be more alien than just "some guys who are kind of bad".

It's funny cause Zazz is actually the closest to what you're describing already: his tongue is constantly hanging out, he visibly twitches on occasion, Sonic mentions that he stinks, and his early Japanese profile states that he enjoys running wild and implies he doesn't consider eating a priority.

Though on a different note, it is kinda interesting that the Lost Hex sheep/ram in Windy Hill also rage out and charge after Sonic. Wonder if there's any correlation?

1 hour ago, Diogenes said:

Cut Zomom and maybe Zik. 

Ah man, I gotta tell ya: Master Zik is a walking embodiment of how Lost World felt like it should've/would've had more to it.

Retool Zavok and Zeena. 

Retool how?

I would exaggerate all of the Zeti's personalities even more than they already are; they're all pretty simple characters, so I think they'd work better the more extreme and caricatured they are.

I remember seeing something to this effect a while back. Kinda curious as how that would work after the first two.

1 hour ago, A crocodile said:

That's an interesting choice. So you'd like to exaggerate them to a simply surreal point, where they are such stereotypes and caricatures they literally are enveloped into their own set world so much where they would interact with each other and the surrounding environment in a very skewed and distorted, nighmarish manner? 

...What?

How would you approach the matter, croc? 

39 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

...What?

How would you approach the matter, croc? 

It's a mental excersize of removing all nuance and reasonability from their established qualities as much as possible. It could be considered a form of flanderization to the extreme; not for the reason of lazy writing but to purposefully get the oddest result possible.

They should try to act as the very definition of their stereotype. It's like how Dio was considering. It wouldn't be Zazz trying to be crazy; it's that he can't act not crazy. His functioning does not match ours, like he exists in a world that is as crazy as himself. 

It would be just a very surreal thing overall. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1

9 hours ago, DabigRG said:

Ah man, I gotta tell ya: Master Zik is a walking embodiment of how Lost World felt like it should've/would've had more to it.

I'm kinda confused by what you mean by this.  Are you saying he is an exception to the lack of character depth in the Deadly Six? In my opinion, "the old master" Zik was one of the biggest offenders of being nothing more than a recycled stereotype character.  I think literally the only thing he did that evoked a reaction out of me was his defeat line on the 3DS version where he says "You beat an old man, are you proud?".  The delivery could've been better but it still made me chuckle, which is high praise considering the Zeti's usual ability to get me to do anything resembling that.

Re-reading your post I feel this could go either way (as in you're saying he's the embodiment due to being the MOST stereotypical and in need of fixing) so apologies if my first interpretation was wrong lol.

9 hours ago, DabigRG said:

Retool how?

I won't speak for Diogenes but I do feel Zeena kind of goes without saying.  Give her ANY kind of unique personality other than "the girl one".  Her personality would've been okay if she wasn't the only female-coded character in the group (or at the very least, Amy had a larger role in the adventure to contrast her directly and re-affirm that "girl =/= vain") but as is she's just hot garbage in terms of writing.

• Thumbs Up 1

Her personality in the Japanese version is actually an improvement; she's not "the girl", she's "the lazy bum".

...One dimension is an improvement over zero, it's not a high bar.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Nice Smile 1
  • Chuckle 1
  • Fist Bump 1

On 3/12/2018 at 5:03 PM, Splash the Otter said:

I guess you're right. I'm just tired of people saying "It's a series about a blue hedgehog, stop taking it seriously!"

Sometimes there's just nothing else to say

On 14.03.2018 at 6:35 PM, DabigRG said:

Here's a idea I had a while back: If you could condense the Deadly Six into having fewer members, who would you primarily choose? And who would you combine?

Hmm, actually pretty fun question.

Remove Zomzom, he's the worst. I'm wndering if combining him wiht Zik would make some comedic sense, but it could easily backfire.

Zeena can go too. If we need a girl, then genderbend Zor or Zazz. Or Zavok, if writers have balls to make serious big villain monster a woman.

I'd just retool Zeena personally, dial back the vanity, and after Zavok and Zik she's easily the most salvageable of the team. Jettison Zor and Zomzom.

Zeena and Zavok are the best of the Deadly Six the only one I really dislike is Zor who can never be happy.

On 3/15/2018 at 4:28 AM, JezMM said:

I'm kinda confused by what you mean by this.  Are you saying he is an exception to the lack of character depth in the Deadly Six? In my opinion, "the old master" Zik was one of the biggest offenders of being nothing more than a recycled stereotype character. 

Re-reading your post I feel this could go either way (as in you're saying he's the embodiment due to being the MOST stereotypical and in need of fixing) so apologies if my first interpretation was wrong lol.

I meant that he's the one who gives the most backstory and perhaps even some nuance to the group just by existing. There's some other little details that could arguably make him the most varied/rounded of three, but that's somewhat up in the air.

As for him primarily being an archetype and little else, I suppose there's some truth to that, temperament wise.

I think literally the only thing he did that evoked a reaction out of me was his defeat line on the 3DS version where he says "You beat an old man, are you proud?".  The delivery could've been better but it still made me chuckle, which is high praise considering the Zeti's usual ability to get me to do anything resembling that.

Don't forget "You're only beating me because I'm LETTING you!"

I won't speak for Diogenes but I do feel Zeena kind of goes without saying.  Give her ANY kind of unique personality other than "the girl one".  Her personality would've been okay if she wasn't the only female-coded character in the group (or at the very least, Amy had a larger role in the adventure to contrast her directly and re-affirm that "girl =/= vain") but as is she's just hot garbage in terms of writing.

Oh yeah, definitely. Easily my least favorite of the Six and perhaps among the franchise.

On 3/15/2018 at 11:46 AM, VEDJ-F said:

Her personality in the Japanese version is actually an improvement; she's not "the girl", she's "the lazy bum".

...One dimension is an improvement over zero, it's not a high bar.

Really now?

I mean, that makes sense with what we got and it's arguably an unconventional spin on the idea, but I recall her early data profile hinting at her being more of a very stuck up but efficient enforcer/agent, which vaguely gels with her promotional appearances. 

• Nice Smile 1

I say Amy could be in Mania with a new move set but others sometimes say she would need her Sonic Advance move set and it would to difficult for the developers to do. But what I'm wondering is where did Amy's Sonic Advance move set come from to be added to that game?

3 hours ago, Fire-N-Space said:

I say Amy could be in Mania with a new move set but others sometimes say she would need her Sonic Advance move set and it would to difficult for the developers to do. But what I'm wondering is where did Amy's Sonic Advance move set come from to be added to that game?

I've only played Advance 3, but from what little I've seen, Amy's Advance moveset is partially influenced by her Adventure 1 control, where she couldn't spin at all and relied exclusively on her hammer to defend herself.

In general, her playstyle was meant to be a skill/hard type that requires more precision and natural speed compared to the other three/four characters either spamming the SpinDash, Gliding&Climbing, or just flat out Flying over everything..

7 minutes ago, VEDJ-F said:

Clerical error, it's #284. 

Okay, thanks! In hindsight, it wouldn't make sense for a SegaSonic Arcade adaptation to feature the Freedom Fighters in it's offpanel.

Sally in the second panel still cracks me up.

Anyway, a question that I never thought to ask before: why were only the “past” themes left untouched in Sonic CD US?

• Nice Smile 1

On 3/26/2018 at 9:43 PM, Ernest-Panda said:

Sally in the second panel still cracks me up.

Anyway, a question that I never thought to ask before: why were only the “past” themes left untouched in Sonic CD US?

I guess it's somewhat related to the fact that the past themes are not in redbook quality.

23 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

What do you think transpire with Espio and Infinite in the Spaceport?

"INFINITOOOOOOOO"

"ESPIIIIOOOOOOO"

And then they both lost an arm or something like that.

• Nice Smile 1
  • Chuckle 2

• 2 weeks later...

To someone who knows how to do gamedelving and/or modding, is there a special texture for Zomom, Zik, Zeena, and Zor in the earlier cutscenes that can be manipulated/editted?

Was the whole reason to gather those Chaos Emeralds in the very first Sonic game, was just to make some flowers bloom?

the looking both ways expression, Sonic had on his face probably suggested something else.

On 29/03/2018 at 8:08 PM, DabigRG said:

What do you think transpire with Espio and Infinite in the Spaceport?

Given there's no space between the 'encounter' and the next line, I doubt anything even transpired. Espio probably saw Infinite going past above or something.