Awoo.

Your Unanswered Sonic Questions

Person

3 hours ago, VEDJ-F said:

Since that version was wiped out of Canon and the modern version isn't religious, no. 

I'm so glad you knew what I was [ultimately] referencing. :lol:

On 5/3/2018 at 7:15 PM, Harkofthewaa said:

In Sonic and the Black Knight, why can't you use a shield like an actual knight? Or at the very least be able to dual wield the other knights weapons along with Caliburn?

Sonic doesn't need one, he was later shown tanking sword slashes from Queen of the Underworld in a cutscene. If she can't cut him then no one else can.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 31/03/2018 at 2:55 PM, DabigRG said:

Do you think the Time Stone(s) in Sonic Satam/CD inspired the other?

Pretty sure the Time Stones came first given that Sonic CD came out in 1993 and were very (very) loosely adapted by SatAM in 1996.

1 hour ago, SKSpawn said:

Pretty sure the Time Stones came first given that Sonic CD came out in 1993 and were very (very) loosely adapted by SatAM in 1996.

1994, but the point still stands. SatAM's Time Stones came way after (especially being a season 2 thing). 

On 5/9/2018 at 3:51 PM, VEDJ-F said:

1994, but the point still stands. SatAM's Time Stones came way after (especially being a season 2 thing). 

I was going to go to a huge amount of effort to trump you one better and prove that it was 1996...but then I saw "1994" in the credits of Blast to the Past and can only applaud your superior knowledge :joy:

I was talking about Sonic games at work the other day, though, and someone was asking me about the Death Egg and asked me what it does. I know it had death rays in Sonic the Comic and, as far as I recall, was supposed to be able to roboticise the planet in Archie Comics, but do the videogames/instruction manuals actually say what the Death Egg was actually supposed to do? I guess maybe it was just a massive base for Eggman's forces but that seems a bit of a waste.

35 minutes ago, SKSpawn said:

I was going to go to a huge amount of effort to trump you one better and prove that it was 1996...but then I saw "1994" in the credits of Blast to the Past and can only applaud your superior knowledge :joy:

I was talking about Sonic games at work the other day, though, and someone was asking me about the Death Egg and asked me what it does. I know it had death rays in Sonic the Comic and, as far as I recall, was supposed to be able to roboticise the planet in Archie Comics, but do the videogames/instruction manuals actually say what the Death Egg was actually supposed to do? I guess maybe it was just a massive base for Eggman's forces but that seems a bit of a waste.

We don't know, right? :) All we saw was the eyes flash and trigger the volcano in Lava Reef.

My headcanon was that it could destroy islands like the Death Star destroyed planets.

1 hour ago, SKSpawn said:

Honestly, the Death Egg in general is just a big invention of doom with a nonspecific but powerful arsenal. But that's kinda the point--it's a grand, powerful craft that Eggman uses to seriously threaten the world and enforce his will, requiring Sonic and his friends to rush to dealing with it promptly due to the sheer threat it poses.

The second one from the Archie Comics is pretty much the epitome of what I'd imagine it to be, with Zavok's block as a possible bonus.

• Thumbs Up 1

How did Silver travel back in time before Sonic Forces began? Despite what we might assume from the amount of times it’s happened, Silver himself doesn’t have any inherent time travel abilities on hand, right? Mephiles brings him back in ’06, and he’s seen to be pulled back to Sonic’s period after all the time eating shenanigans of Generations. I don’t believe the Rivals games bother with a reason, and in the Forces prequel comic he simply says he “came back”. So I guess he could’ve figured out (again, after the undoing of ’06) that the Chaos Emeralds have time travelling abilities? I dunno.

Personally I would’ve preferred it had Silver permanently remained in the present day following ’06 if he was going to be a continually reoccurring character. Feels odd to have him keep travelling back to the present every time he’s wanted as a character, especially without an easily explainable method.

I remember hearing that Ray was originally a referee for Sonic the Fighters. Is there any truth to this?

5 hours ago, DabigRG said:

I remember hearing that Ray was originally a referee for Sonic the Fighters. Is there any truth to this?

Probably not, if he was, they'd likely be able to datamine some kind of asset to show Ray, like they did for Honey. If he ever was a referee, it was probably early production and cut very shortly after.

That said, I don't know why they'd have Ray in as a referee but screw over Mighty further.

Probably because they weren't strictly viewed as a two-in-one package at that point, hence why Ray wasn't in Chaotix. 

8 minutes ago, VEDJ-F said:

Probably because they weren't strictly viewed as a two-in-one package at that point, hence why Ray wasn't in Chaotix. 

Ah yeah, nevermind that final part. Confused myself into thinking Ray was in Chaotix before I remembered it was SegaSonic.

And speaking of Chaotix: Why WAS that game changed to a Knuckles solo thingy? I mean, wouldn't it make more sense to release a Sonic-centric game first, and THEN make a Knux spinoff? 

12 minutes ago, A person, that exists said:

And speaking of Chaotix: Why WAS that game changed to a Knuckles solo thingy? I mean, wouldn't it make more sense to release a Sonic-centric game first, and THEN make a Knux spinoff? 

In 1995, Knuckles was Shadow.

• Thumbs Up 2

31 minutes ago, A person, that exists said:

Considering the 32x itself was an add-on to the Genesis, I can sorta imagine that people would associate Knuckles with the concept of adding on as well as with Sonic, with his popularity being an extra assurance at the time.

There's also evidence suggesting that Espio was created for the game specifically to be the main character at one point.

Though I suppose you could also take Johnny's take on the idea.

EDIT: Damn connection issues.

9 hours ago, BaronGrackle said:

In 1995, Knuckles was Shadow.

Granted, Shadow starred in at least two main-series games (SA2, Heroes), before getting a spinoff.
As for Knuckles, he really had only one game at that point, that game being S3K. 

3 hours ago, A person, that exists said:

Granted, Shadow starred in at least two main-series games (SA2, Heroes), before getting a spinoff.
As for Knuckles, he really had only one game at that point, that game being S3K. 

Which is kinda sorta two games, depending on who you ask.

There was also Sonic Blast at some point.

• Nice Smile 1

4 hours ago, A person, that exists said:

Though I imagine Shadow's popularity skyrocketed with SA2, and he didn't really need Heroes for an extra boost.

As for Knuckles, I owned and played S3 repeatedly for about a year before S&K existed yet. We wanted Knux playable. We needed him playable. We played the terrible multiplayer modes of S3 just for a taste of playable Knuckles. For us, S&K was a new release.

• Nice Smile 1

Chaotix originally was a Sonic-themed spin-off called Crackers, in which Sonic and Tails would've been the player characters and connected with an energy band, while the game itself would've released on the Genesis as the next big game after & Knuckles. However, during development, they shifted the development to the 32x and while they were at it, swapped out Sonic & Tails for Knuckles and the Chaotix, especially since Knuckles gathered a lot of attention from S3&K.

There's still left over assets from the Crackers prototype, one of the glitch characters being a palette swapped white Knuckles is rumoured to be what remains of Tails' assets. Sonic was turned into Mighty while Tails was cut altogether. The rumour comes because if you hack the game to say which character you want, the character in Slot 1 is Mighty (Sonic's assets turned into Mighty as previously mentioned), while Slot 2 is the glitched Knuckles. It's thought to be Tails as instead of gliding, the glitched character flies and falls back down similar to Tails in the classic trilogy. The reason it looks like a weird Knuckles is it goes for the first sprite set it could get, which appears to be a bugged up version of Knuckles' sprites.

• Nice Smile 1

40 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

Chaotix originally was a Sonic-themed spin-off called Crackers, in which Sonic and Tails would've been the player characters and connected with an energy band, while the game itself would've released on the Genesis as the next big game after & Knuckles. However, during development, they shifted the development to the 32x and while they were at it, swapped out Sonic & Tails for Knuckles and the Chaotix, especially since Knuckles gathered a lot of attention from S3&K.

There's still left over assets from the Crackers prototype, one of the glitch characters being a palette swapped white Knuckles is rumoured to be what remains of Tails' assets. Sonic was turned into Mighty while Tails was cut altogether. The rumour comes because if you hack the game to say which character you want, the character in Slot 1 is Mighty (Sonic's assets turned into Mighty as previously mentioned), while Slot 2 is the glitched Knuckles. It's thought to be Tails as instead of gliding, the glitched character flies and falls back down similar to Tails in the classic trilogy. The reason it looks like a weird Knuckles is it goes for the first sprite set it could get, which appears to be a bugged up version of Knuckles' sprites.

All is right here, except for one thing. Knuckles' Chaotix was developed by another development team by Sega and Sonic Team being kind of supervising team. We can't know it since it was never told, but likely Chaotix had a similar fate as Sonic Xtreme, kind of. Xtreme used Naka's engine for NiGHTS and Chaotix used Sonic and Tails until Sonic Team found that the finished game would be underwhelming. Compared to main Sonic titles before, it really is.

1 hour ago, DabigRG said:

Is there any real establishment for where/what "San Francisco" Zone is?

The wiki points out that the first cutscene is "above the capital city", and future canon calls the capital Central City.

45 minutes ago, BaronGrackle said:

The wiki points out that the first cutscene is "above the capital city", and future canon calls the capital Central City.

Okay, thanks!

Kinda makes me wish Westopolis and the other city levels in ShTH looked more like City Escape, etc.. There's some influence if you include the relatively steep roads but I mean, it was a Sonic game (arguably).

Since his moveset has been called into question a fair bit, I think it would be neat to ask for any insight on how the Glide mechanic came about?

• Thumbs Up 1