Awoo.

Your Unanswered Sonic Questions

Person

On 5/29/2018 at 6:06 PM, DabigRG said:
On 5/29/2018 at 10:54 AM, StriCNYN3 said:

I still don't see why they're not using Biolzard androids instead of Shadow though since that was supposed to be the ULF meant for destruction and I always assumed they based that creature with Perfect Chaos as they used a bunch of artificial versions of Chaos in SA2, giving more reason as to why they'd actually use the lizard instead, but admittedly I haven't played STH in a very long time, so my details are a little foggy.

Same reason Ridley isn't playable in Smash--he's too frikkin big

Ummm, about that answer nowadays......

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1
  • Chuckle 2

16 minutes ago, Jovahexeon Pirate Ridley said:

Ummm, about that answer nowadays......

Yeah, I saw that video the other night and went WTF? Especially considering they were very sparse on "new" characters leading up to him

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1

25 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Yeah, I saw that video the other night and went WTF? Especially considering they were very sparse on "new" characters leading up to him

With Sakurai, I've learned to adopt a healthy routine of reverse psychology.

• Nice Smile 1

4 hours ago, Jovahexeon Pirate Ridley said:

With Sakurai, I've learned to adopt a healthy routine of reverse psychology.

You heard it here first, folks--Tripping is BACK!!

• Nice Smile 1
  • Chuckle 1
  • Fist Bump 1

Do you think the scope of Unleashed's budget and production values may have had a notable effect on how the later Modern games were produced and maybe even written?

• Nice Smile 1
  • Fist Bump 1

3 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Did ya'll know about this character(Max) to the far right?5uuk3kbbstm01.png

I did. 

So appparently, Sonic Heroes was meant to get a sequel at one point. Is this true?

Just now, Miragnarok said:

I did. 

Damn near sniped my next post, didja? :wink: 

I wonder if Mr. Flynn knew about him when writing/overlooking Issue 200?

• Fist Bump 1

6 hours ago, DabigRG said:

Did ya'll know about this character(Max) to the far right?5uuk3kbbstm01.png

Yes. These designs were for Chaotix.

1 hour ago, VEDJ-F said:

No, they were for SegaSonic the Hedgehog. Ohshima said so himself. 

I'm talking about the image that includes Vector and Max, that was for Chaotix.  Naoto Ohshima did an interview in "The Untold History of Japanese Game Developers: Volume 3" where he revealed that he redesigned Vector and Charmy for Chaotix. A member of Retro did a comparison between the concept art and Mighty and Vector's final design for Chaotix and they matched up. 

http://forums.sonicretro.org/index.php?showtopic=8815&view=findpost&p=923761

2dndBTb.png

Mighty and Ray were revealed in an interview to be designed by Manabu Kusunoki specifically to match Sonic's proportions, they mentioned that that's why their species were chosen. Their proportions in the concept art don't match Sonic. The Oshima and Kusunoki interviews are posted here by member Pengi:

http://forums.sonicretro.org/index.php?showtopic=8815&view=findpost&p=923842

This concept art definitely came after SegaSonic.

He said that specific art was for SSH. I remember him clarifying it in a reply on Twitter. 

Edit: Tweets in question. 

• Absolutely 1
  • Too Many Rings 1

15 hours ago, DabigRG said:

Did ya'll know about this character(Max) to the far right?

I thought his name was Mach?

2 hours ago, Razule said:

I thought his name was Mach?

Max was the name connected to this image, for whatever reason, but yes, he's probably based on Mach.

7 hours ago, VEDJ-F said:

He said that specific art was for SSH. I remember him clarifying it in a reply on Twitter. 

Edit: Tweets in question. 

Why haven't I ever seen this? TFW Retro let me down. Thanks. So...Vector was put off again? If those were made in '92 then was he set to appear in Sonic 2 or something? Or was he being held off for something else?

I noticed some people seemed to be under the impression that the Deadly Six were sealed away before Eggman invaded the Lost Hex. Is there any precedent for where this notion came from?

• Thumbs Up 1

On 6/28/2018 at 3:46 PM, VEDJ-F said:

I think this is an issue of something getting lost in translation between two people communicating in two different languages via Google Translate. ("He is the director of the bread tour.") Ohshima was fielding lots of questions about Mighty (and to a lesser extent, Ray) after a different piece of Ray/Mighty concept art was misidentified as his. He went out of his way to credit Manabu Kusunoki as Mighty/Ray's designer a few times.

So with that context in mind, I don't think he's talking about that group illustration as a whole being "characters of arcade game". He immediately followed it up by saying the character design was by Manabu Kusunoki, which we know isn't true of Vector and Max/Sharps - those two were both designed by Ohshima himself.

It also wouldn't make sense for what we know about SegaSonic the Hedgehog. Kusunoki said that he specifically designed Ray and Mighty to have the same proportions and head size as Sonic. So there's no way that Vector would have been part of the mix after Ray and Mighty had already been designed. And the reason Ray and Mighty were created in the first place was because it was a 3 player game. A 5 player version would have been incredibly implausible for an arcade cabinet, especially with the already unconventional track ball controls. It wouldn't make sense to have two "extra" characters in a 3-player cabinet either, since the idea was for them to all control the same way, and each character has HUGE sprite set - it would be a lot of wasted work hours to create graphics for 5 characters when only 3 are necessary. ESPECIALLY for characters whose sprites couldn't simply be edited and re-coloured from Sonic.

So what was the group illustration for? Probably just part of a general Sonic the Hedgehog series design document/style guide/"series Bible" to be used internally at Sega. The heading is "Sonic's Friends", which suggests that it's a page of a style guide. The fact the illustrations and designs got re-purposed for Chaotix, a game neither Ohshima nor Kusunoki worked on, kind of shows that it's an image that was readily available to Sega of Japan staff working on the Sonic series. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Why did the US soundtrack for the 2011 Sonic CD not get a song from “Virtual Sonic” for the Time Attack and/or D.A. Garden? 

Back when Sonic Colors was being teased with tidbits, wasn't there supposed to be a plot point about Tails' speed?

Do the Deadly Six ever seem to refer to themselves as such or is that just the title Eggman gave them?

Was it ever clarified within the games themselves where Angel Island itself originally was? The Mystic Ruins doesn't actually seem to correlate with it upon reflection.

• Thumbs Up 1

How does Sky Sanctuary float? Can't be from the Master Emerald since Eggman steals it right before you go there.