Awoo.

Your Unanswered Sonic Questions

Person

2 hours ago, DabigRG said:

Say, if Modern and Classic are separate dimensions, does that mean Amy never takes considerable levels in badass?

Not if the Mania Team continues to have a shit attitude about her

1 hour ago, Sonic Fan J said:

Jokes aside, I kind of do wonder why SEGA/Sonic Team is willing to use her classic imagery everywhere but in the games themselves. I have little doubt that is part of why she lacks a proper Mania cameo and just can't wrap my head around why when they use her classic design in so many other places.

I guess because, sorta like the Chaotix, they want to separate the portrayals of Amy the Hammer Warrior and Amy the cutesy Comic Relief between the two eras.

2 hours ago, DabigRG said:

Say, if Modern and Classic are separate dimensions, does that mean Amy never takes considerable levels in badass?

No, Adventure says CD happened in the modern world

1 hour ago, Skull Leader said:

You'd think she was the most obvious choice to be included as a playable in something like Mania right after Tails and Knuckles. Unfortunately, the developers had other ideas and opted for, IMO, less interesting choices.

Irregardless of whether this makes you feel any better, I was wondering why they didn't just use Mighty, Ray, and Rosy to make the roster(s) even between the two version.

I mean, I know there was Metal, but how about an actual character with a gimmick and unique design/colorscheme?

1 minute ago, Razule said:

No, Adventure says [a version of] CD happened in the modern world

...Oh shit, you're right! :joy: 

Just now, DabigRG said:

I was referring to how she has a notable track record of pulling new skills out of her ass.

Also, it was an observation of media in general, using Amy as a jump off.

Amy is more capable then people want to admit so they say some of her skills don't make sense.   

Just now, Fire-N-Space said:

Amy is more capable then people want to admit so they say some of her skills don't make sense.   

I mean, in terms of the series overall, they're not too wild. But in regards to just focusing on her as a consistent character, yeah, some of them don't.

*Delete*

Edited by Sonic Fan J
Posted prematurely and had to redo post.

4 hours ago, Skull Leader said:

Eww, her name doesn't start with the letter "S", plus she's a girl and has a color that doesn't look edgy or badass. DX (jokes aside, the dress changes Amy's silouhette, while Shadow esentially looks Sonic with superform style quills and a much more exact match in terms of visuals, something I say played a huge part in him becoming popular)

I can definitely see that. I remember when I walked into a Gamespot back around when SA2 was announced and being astounded by how Shadow looked. Of course once I got the game there was nothing about Shadow and his character which felt like an honest use of his role as a dark Sonic, but that's a totally different conversation... More on the topic of Amy, to date I still personally prefer her original design and have yet to forget the disappointment I felt when I first saw that she redesigned for Adventure. It felt like a slap in the face as a fan of hers and considering they made Shadow a Sonic clone in the very next game it just seemed unnecessary.

I think that's because most promotional material is done by Sega of America, such as the (cancelled) Megadrive comic. Also while not her classic self, Amy gets a fair share of attention in the comics, with the post reboot Archie as well as the IDW comic doing a better job with her and the rest of the cast than the embarrassing performance of the games, which is funny since that is the spurce material and in terms of storytelling and characterization, it gets beaten pretty hard by other media such as the comics.

Well this is definitely not from SEGA of America

126700.jpg

And Sanrio is a rather huge brand thanks to Hello Kitty. Of course this being announced in the same twenty-fifth anniversary stream as Mania with this little opening video

which also used Amy's classic design in the beginning makes her exclusion in classic themed games even more prominently perplexing to me.

The games do bother me though because Amy delivers on both being a "main" type of character whose motivation to get involved is as legit as Tails and can contribute to stories by playing the other traits of her characters (much like in the Adventure games where, surprisingly, she solves things without the needs of smashing heads and even leaves an impact on characters that causes them to make a change) as well as having the gameplay aspect covered ever since she gained the Piko hammer, with Advance being what I feel establishes the definitive base reference to her game abilities. You'd think she was the most obvious choice to be included as a playable in something like Mania right after Tails and Knuckles. Unfortunately, the developers had other ideas and opted for, IMO, less interesting choices.

3 hours ago, DabigRG said:

I guess because, sorta like the Chaotix, they want to separate the portrayals of Amy the Hammer Warrior and Amy the cutesy Comic Relief between the two eras.

This divide definitely feels like it fits in with the above advertisement sentiment, especially since unlike western made material I can't think of any instance outside of Fighters where SEGA/Sonic Team advertises or even shows Amy's classic design with her hammer. They allow the imagery sure, but they don't use it themselves which could be a reason for her exclusion in Mania. Also combine that with Mania sticking to the Genesis/Mega Drive gameplay as part of it's celebration of Sonic's roots and more successful days as well as not being narratively heavy enough to exploit Amy's other strengths  and the picture starts to paint itself as for why she is not playable at least. It doesn't explain her lack of a more respectable cameo however and now that Whitehead, Thomley, and company have been allowed to create classic style gameplay for Ray I'd like to see them tackle Amy. And if they can't come up with any ideas or SEGA/Sonic Team insists on a certain image then I think a good chunk of us Amy fans would be more than glad to pitch them some ideas that would fit in even the most absurd of guidelines. Heck I've got a thread for such ideas that I've already overloaded with Amy ideas

including my most recent post addressing a way to make unique hedgehog themed gameplay for Amy that differentiates her from Sonic that has been inspired by how  Ray plays. (sorry for the shameless thread plug)

All my ranting aside, I just can't come up with any reasons that don't feel conspiracy theory ridden for why she at least did not have a proper Mania cameo when SEGA/Sonic Team have been glad to use and let others use her classic design. Sometimes I think I really need to learn Japanese just so I can ask Iizuka directly on Twitter or something without having a translator butcher what either party is trying to say.

Since the game/expansion has been out for a while now and I've seen no real hint of it, was Metal Sonic gonna be a third playable character in Mania Plus originally?sonic-mania-plus-364x205.jpg

According to TVTropes, Shadow's Game was going to be even more violent/dark than it already was. One example of this is how Eggman would've attacked Amy after Cryptic Castle, motivating Shadow to defend her.

Is there truth to that scene's existence?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Sonic 3 Japanese manual states that in legends supposedly the gods came down from the sky and restored part of the civilization in the form of an island and released it into the sky. You can find a translation on Sonic Retro here http://info.sonicretro.org/Sonic_the_Hedgehog_3_manuals.

Personally speaking, I find it interesting how many stories of gods and ancient civilizations were in the classics but how after Adventure the only other game that really touched on it was Unleashed.

3 minutes ago, Sonic Fan J said:

Sonic 3 Japanese manual states that in legends supposedly the gods came down from the sky and restored part of the civilization in the form of an island and released it into the sky. You can find a translation on Sonic Retro here http://info.sonicretro.org/Sonic_the_Hedgehog_3_manuals.

Personally speaking, I find it interesting how many stories of gods and ancient civilizations were in the classics but how after Adventure the only other game that really touched on it was Unleashed.

Interesting. 

Wait, so does that mean Knuckles was a creation of them as well?

• Thumbs Up 1

Here's a possibly speculatory question, but I think it's worth thinking about: How do you think Cream's ears might've gotten certain connotations and reactions if they were ever focused on when/if she went out into other locales? And do you think this might've had some impact on why Vanilla lives away from most others in [Neo Green HIll Zone]?

We know that Big was originally supposed to be in Generations, to the point that Kyle Hebert actually recorded dialogue for him. Where do you think Big would have been if he remained in the final product?

3 hours ago, DabigRG said:

We know that Big was originally supposed to be in Generations, to the point that Kyle Hebert actually recorded dialogue for him. Where do you think Big would have been if he remained in the final product?

he would've been left in white space with the eggmen, still petrified, because that's what sonic team thinks of their own characters

11 minutes ago, Scape said:

he would've been left in white space with the eggmen, still petrified, because that's what sonic team thinks of their own characters

Ah, yes, this is the most reasonable conclusion to draw from a game that is largely about exactly the opposite.

• Chuckle 1

4 hours ago, DabigRG said:

I think he probably would have been located at Speed Highway (where Cream is). Maybe that's the dialogue Kyle recorded for, but Big got replaced by Cream at some point because Sonic Team failed to realize the pinnacle of perfection he is.

50 minutes ago, Scape said:

You know, you joke about that, but then you remember that the same thing happened to Tails and especially the 2Player mode of the SA2..

2 minutes ago, Harkofthewaa said:

I think he probably would have been located at Speed Highway (where Cream is). Maybe that's the dialogue Kyle recorded for, but Big got replaced by Cream at some point because Sonic Team failed to realize the pinnacle of perfection he is.

See, that makes me think that they intended to have more levels in the HD version.

• Too Many Rings 1