Awoo.

Your Unanswered Sonic Questions

Person

24 minutes ago, Harkofthewaa said:

Dumb question: given that Infinite seems to leave his physical body open to attack, why didn't Silver just use his psychic powers to yank the Phantom Ruby away from him during their fight?

Does he even truly have one? A physical body, I mean.

5 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

Does he even truly have one? A physical body, I mean.

...Good question.

But considering that Zavok and Shadow disappear entirely when beaten while Infinite was specifically recalled to the Tower by Eggman, I'm gonna lean on yes.

Is the event that caused Advance 3 in IDW still a Genesis Wave? 

Are those crocodile things in Lost World Badniks? I’m convinced that they are, but the wiki seems to be in denial.

36 minutes ago, Miragnarok said:

Is the event that caused Advance 3 in IDW still a Genesis Wave?

If Advance 3 happened in IDW's continuity, I'd assume it was just a form of Chaos Control that caused those events, just like the game itself.

2 hours ago, Miragnarok said:

Are those crocodile things in Lost World Badniks? I’m convinced that they are, but the wiki seems to be in denial.

I doubt it.

1 hour ago, NegaMetallix said:

If Advance 3 happened in IDW's continuity, I'd assume it was just a form of Chaos Control that caused those events, just like the game itself.

The Genesis Wave was a form of Chaos Control. Hence why the reboot just went ahead and made them the same thing.

43 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

The Genesis Wave was a form of Chaos Control. Hence why the reboot just went ahead and made them the same thing.

I moreso meant that, if IDW ever reference Advance 3, they'd most likely not make any mention of a "Genesis Wave" specifically, since that term was only used in the Archie comics beforehand.

32 minutes ago, NegaMetallix said:

I moreso meant that, if IDW ever reference Advance 3, they'd most likely not make any mention of a "Genesis Wave" specifically, since that term was only used in the Archie comics beforehand.

Oh yeah, fair point.

Been nagging at me for while, but why is it that whenever Amy's crush on Sonic is dialed back so is her Genki Girl aspects as well? Being a hyperactive ball of positivity and optimism has nothing to do with Sonic so I don't understand why it happens.

How much input did Mr. Pontac and Graff have on Generations story?

39 minutes ago, Sonic Fan J said:

Been nagging at me for while, but why is it that whenever Amy's crush on Sonic is dialed back so is her Genki Girl aspects as well? Being a hyperactive ball of positivity and optimism has nothing to do with Sonic so I don't understand why it happens.

I...don't get this?

I mean, thinking about the games I'm assuming that applies to, Amy isn't really in most of them for that long.

Well there's also BOOM!, a lot of fan interpretations, a stretch of the comics where she was  a straight action girl, and so on. It's just weird to me that a character who is supposed to be boundlessly optimistic, positive, and energetic seems to have those traits tied to the degree to which their crush is displayed. And I won't take a more mature approach in BOOM! as an explanation as I have a fifty-something-year-old aunt who fits the definition of Genki Girl and is known for getting into fights.

1 hour ago, Sonic Fan J said:

Well there's also BOOM!, a lot of fan interpretations, a stretch of the comics where she was  a straight action girl, and so on. It's just weird to me that a character who is supposed to be boundlessly optimistic, positive, and energetic seems to have those traits tied to the degree to which their crush is displayed. 

Discounting the second one because IDK, I always thought the Boom version was a different take on a lot of her game traits. Granted, the energetic part is a little more reigned in comparatively given the more localized environment, but there's still a fair bit of passion going into a lot of what she does in that show.

As for the comics, you might have to specify what point exactly, but from what I remember, it seems like a more downplayed case of what's going on in the games, where she's not "around" that much--or in this case, didn't really have the room for that type of stuff in some stories. 

For example, she [probably] wasn't too giddy in Pirate Plunder Panic because she and Cream&Cheese were suddenly in a completely different location under mysterious circumstances and thus she kinda had to be focused on helping Blaze-- this is especially skewed with the more rambunctious Marine to contend with. Meanwhile, Champions had her much more outgoing because she, Sonic, and Tails were in the much more urban setting of Bingo Highway to participate in the tournament. There was a ulterior motive for doing so, but considering who else was involved, it made sense for her to just act "casually."

So basically, it depends on the context and setting of the story, as well as her allotted screentime.

How is it that only male hedgehogs can access super forms? You'd think Knuckles, being an echidna, who have a deep connection to the chaos emeralds, would be able to access a legit super form (not being surrounded by a gold shield, but change of color). Also, why go after the Chaos Emeralds, when the Master Emerald is basically Chaos Emerald Supreme?

29 minutes ago, Mountaindewandsprite said:

How is it that only male hedgehogs can access super forms? You'd think Knuckles, being an echidna, who have a deep connection to the chaos emeralds, would be able to access a legit super form (not being surrounded by a gold shield, but change of color). Also, why go after the Chaos Emeralds, when the Master Emerald is basically Chaos Emerald Supreme?

It's probably less of a rule and more just stating that only male hedgehogs have happened to use them. And they don't want anymore.

• Thumbs Up 1

34 minutes ago, Mountaindewandsprite said:

You'd think Knuckles, being an echidna, who have a deep connection to the chaos emeralds

How deep of a connection do they really have, though? SA revealed that the deep lore connecting the emeralds and the echidnas was basically "they lived near the emeralds and tried to steal them and got almost entirely wiped out for trying". Sure, they then went on to make Hidden Palace and get the island floating and they guarded it for a couple thousand years or so, but that's a bit like saying humans have a deep connection to electricity because we built power plants and have a lot of electronic devices, so any random dude should be able to shoot lighting from his fingers.

On ‎12‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 1:06 PM, DabigRG said:

Discounting the second one because IDK, I always thought the Boom version was a different take on a lot of her game traits. Granted, the energetic part is a little more reigned in comparatively given the more localized environment, but there's still a fair bit of passion going into a lot of what she does in that show.

As for the comics, you might have to specify what point exactly, but from what I remember, it seems like a more downplayed case of what's going on in the games, where she's not "around" that much--or in this case, didn't really have the room for that type of stuff in some stories. 

For example, she [probably] wasn't too giddy in Pirate Plunder Panic because she and Cream&Cheese were suddenly in a completely different location under mysterious circumstances and thus she kinda had to be focused on helping Blaze-- this is especially skewed with the more rambunctious Marine to contend with. Meanwhile, Champions had her much more outgoing because she, Sonic, and Tails were in the much more urban setting of Bingo Highway to participate in the tournament. There was a ulterior motive for doing so, but considering who else was involved, it made sense for her to just act "casually."

So basically, it depends on the context and setting of the story, as well as her allotted screentime.

Yeah looking over how you break it down it seems more akin to the fact that most writers don't actually realize she's supposed to be a Genki Girl and so it's less that when her crush is toned that that her Genki Girl aspect is as well so much as it is that her Genki Girl aspect appears coincidentally when her Crush isn't toned down. Kind of a shame too since I find her boundless energy, optimism, excitability, and cheerfulness too be infectious and it generally brings a smile to my face. It's part of the reason why when I draw my redesign I always have her with a huge smile and with her tail wagging in an attempt to capture that energy. Still, I guess the question has a plausible answer now so need to dwell on it.

16 hours ago, Mountaindewandsprite said:

Because Iuzuka said so.

Though while we're on the topic, that could've made for an interesting character point either way.

16 hours ago, Mountaindewandsprite said:

Also, why go after the Chaos Emeralds, when the Master Emerald is basically Chaos Emerald Supreme?

Because you actually use the Chaos Emeralds, carry them around easily, and get them without getting your skull cracked by a red echidna.

Plus, we have yet to see the Master Emerald due much beyond cut the Emeralds on & off thus far.

15 hours ago, Diogenes said:

How deep of a connection do they really have, though? SA revealed that the deep lore connecting the emeralds and the echidnas was basically "they lived near the emeralds and tried to steal them and got almost entirely wiped out for trying". Sure, they then went on to make Hidden Palace and get the island floating and they guarded it for a couple thousand years or so, but that's a bit like saying humans have a deep connection to electricity because we built power plants and have a lot of electronic devices, so any random dude should be able to shoot lighting from his fingers.

Is that what happened?

I was under the implication that Tikal sacrificing herself to imprison Chaos coincided with the Angel Island launching into the air, taking various but not all ruins with them.

2 hours ago, Sonic Fan J said:

Yeah looking over how you break it down it seems more akin to the fact that most writers don't actually realize she's supposed to be a Genki Girl and so it's less that when her crush is toned that that her Genki Girl aspect is as well so much as it is that her Genki Girl aspect appears coincidentally when her Crush isn't toned down. 

Or have time/space to really work with it, as I was more highlighting with my example.

Maybe, but I feel Adam Bryce Thomas is still able to capture it with almost no attention paid to her in the TSR Comic. I'm not even the only one to notice either as she is described as simply excited in this Reddit post

Like, it was worse than I even thought it would be from the previews.

First of all, the entire story is just meant to be an overview of game mechanics. We have the slipstreams and the team boost and the different wisps and different car types. The actual “conflict” is everyone teaming up to beat Eggman but Sonic and Shadow wanting to beat each other as well. And the characters seem more one-dimensional than even in Sonic Free Riders, if that’s even possible. Without exaggeration I’m about to boil down what every character is like in this issue.

Sonic: Speed!

Tails: Brains!

Knuckles: Strong!

Shadow: More speed than Sonic!

Rouge: (okay she actually is the only one who had more than a one-note personality which is surprising)

Omega: Destroy and generic robot lines!

Eggman: Evil cheater!

Amy: Excited!

Omochao: Did not even have a personality.

Big: Fishing and Froggy! (He literally says “Teamwork? I’d rather teamfish!”)

Vector: Money!

Silver: (gets one line about wanting a better future)

Blaze: Justice and Fire!

They don’t even take advantage of a tie in comic and use it to explain the more unorthodox team choices, like Vector with Silver and Blaze or four chao instead of Cream.

Like, really, reading my post will tell you all the story you need. I’d recommend not buying it.

It's actually one of the few examples that I can think of where that energy is on full display without Sonic involved in anything recently. Frankly, I find it rather refreshing since it does show that it can be portrayed without needing a lot of time and space, especially since being a Genki Girl would be a defining aspect of her personality and should be visible in her body language at the bare minimum. Of course though with the way her character has been toned down in general most people would probably find it jarring to have her Genki Girl traits brought to the fore in at least her body language and it would probably clash with the more mature (honestly she's a rascally and adventurous kid) interpretation that western fans seem to prefer. Honestly, what's wrong with her being a girly and bubbly tomboy?

So here's a question that might need a bit more room: If Sonic Adventure 2 hadn't quite decided to emphasize the whole Dark Story aspects as much or as specifically as they did, do you think it and possibly later games would've continued to expand on Knuckles and the Echidnas?

Could Dragon Road have been inspired by an unused concept from way back in the days of Sonic 1, which was a Chinese-inspired Level? How long do Sonic Team hold onto cut concepts before simply abandoning them?  Is Jungle Joyride based on a concept art from Sonic 2 of “Emerald Ocean”, or did that inspire Wave Ocean?

784px-S1concept6.JPG

JmRBpAt.png

Considering there is speculation Unleashed was going to be the final Sonic game, was Forces also made with the possibility of being the final Sonic game?  Why is the Robotnik name never even mentioned once throughout all of Mania?

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, Miragnarok said:

Considering there is speculation Unleashed was going to be the final Sonic game, was Forces also made with the possibility of being the final Sonic game?  

Where in the world does that come from?

7 hours ago, Miragnarok said:

Why is the Robotnik name never even mentioned once throughout all of Mania?

Because there's no voice acting?

• Chuckle 1

Why do you think SonicTeam has developed a habit of conceptualizing what end up feeling like barely fleshed out or even incomplete stories for the last decade?

7 hours ago, DabigRG said:

Why do you think SonicTeam has developed a habit of conceptualizing what end up feeling like barely fleshed out or even incomplete stories for the last decade?

That's literally every Sonic story.