Awoo.

Your Unanswered Sonic Questions

Person

2 hours ago, DabigRG said:

Very across the ocean question here, but its been said that the Japanese, not unlike America, has several different dialects, accents, and even custom pronouns that it's characters tend to favor based on their personality: what dialect does each Sonic character have and how does it reflect on their personality vs the area it's native to?

Ooh, I can answer this.

First, one note before I answer the question more in-depth: it is important to separate dialects/accents from speech patterns such as pronouns and the like because they are slightly different. For example, American English also has several accents (see Southern Accent vs New York accent), but unlike Japanese, English does not have distinct speech patterns (where we can select from multiple first person pronouns or sentence enders to make us sound more masculine or feminine)

You are correct that in Japanese that there are regional dialects, however like in English language versions, dialects/accents are only given to characters every blue moon to emphasize a quirkiness about a character. So just like most Sonic characters speak "standard" American English, most of the characters in the Japanese version speak standard Tokyo Japanese. The exception are characters like Marine who speaks with a Kansai accent, which produces a similar effect to the English version where she has an Australian accent to make her seem more chipper and helps give her some uniqueness. Off the top of my head, Marine is the only character I can instantly think of with a different accent than the others.

The more interesting part for me, are the speech patterns. I can use Sonic and Tails as an example:

Sonic in Japanese is very casual all the time, even during moments when he should probably be more formal. He uses contracted forms of speaking as well as slang(and English words). He uses 俺(ore) as his first person pronoun which comes off as very masculine and confident. He addresses others often as お前(omae) which makes him seem really laid-back and feels like he breaks down any social barriers because he is an approachable guy. (Similarly in real life, お前 can be sort of rude to those you don't know for being too familiar. It isn't the exact same, but think of calling someone "dude". It is fine in informal spaces with people you know, but can rub some people the wrong way even though you are just trying to be chill).

Tails on the other hand, uses the pronoun 僕(boku, which is usually written as ボクin katakana to emphasize that he is a little boy), which has more of a childish and reserved connotation compared to Sonic's 俺. In media, usually I think of soft-spoken males characters, or young boy characters, I think of 僕. It is still a masculine pronoun, but it feels more gentle. His sentences also can come off as less assertive than Sonic's because of the way he finishes his sentences. The other thing is that he sort of has a childish speech pattern. As in, I can just look at some sentences Tails' speaks without any context, and can tell that it was a kid that spoke them.

To conclude, basically Sonic and Tails and the other characters have their own speech patterns where the listener/reader can distinctly tell the characters apart and gives the characters a little more identity with their speech.

• Thumbs Up 4

Hmm, unanswered questions. I'll give it a go, as I do have a quite a few questions, namely these:

1. Is it one world? Two worlds? It seems to changing all the time, and I get confused lol. Personally I would prefer just one world, but which is it really?

2. What happened to Tails' parents? We see Cream's mother and I assume Charmy's been adopted by the chaotix (maybe?) but Tails' don't appear at all. I can suspend my belief some what with characters like Sonic, as he's all about ADVENTURE and GOTTA GO FAST! Tails however? Did they die? Abandon him because of his mutation? Is the reason he's so smart because he had to learn everything on his own? He's only like what, 8? ... Then again, the ages of characters like Amy make wonder about her as well. You know what, this question is now " where are ALL the parents!?" (Not counting characters like Rouge, Vector, Big, as they're all old enough to be alone and Knuckles for obvious but sad reasons)

3. And this is my most important question... When are we going to get a concept art book for Sonic? Final fantasy and Fire emblem have them, why not the blue blue? I need me some concept art! I want to see how the characters and levels we all know and love came to be? How many different versions of them were there until they settled on a look. Unfinished stages that never appeared but were worked on (looking at you Sonic 2). I love looking at this sort of stuff. It's really cool seeing things come together.

7 hours ago, A Random Villager said:

Hmm, unanswered questions. I'll give it a go, as I do have a quite a few questions, namely these:

1. Is it one world? Two worlds? It seems to changing all the time, and I get confused lol. Personally I would prefer just one world, but which is it really?

I sometimes think of it as one world with two different layers to it from a dimensional standpoint.

2. What happened to Tails' parents? 

Either dead or simply gone not long after his birth.

We see Cream's mother and I assume Charmy's been adopted by the chaotix (maybe?) but Tails' don't appear at all. I can suspend my belief some what with characters like Sonic, as he's all about ADVENTURE and GOTTA GO FAST! Tails however? Did they die? Abandon him because of his mutation? Is the reason he's so smart because he had to learn everything on his own? He's only like what, 8? ... Then again, the ages of characters like Amy make wonder about her as well. You know what, this question is now " where are ALL the parents!?" (Not counting characters like Rouge, Vector, Big, as they're all old enough to be alone and Knuckles for obvious but sad reasons)

Either dead or simply gone not long after his birth.

3. And this is my most important question... When are we going to get a concept art book for Sonic? Final fantasy and Fire emblem have them, why not the blue blue? I need me some concept art! I want to see how the characters and levels we all know and love came to be? How many different versions of them were there until they settled on a look. Unfinished stages that never appeared but were worked on (looking at you Sonic 2). I love looking at this sort of stuff. It's really cool seeing things come together.

I was gonna say we did, but no that's a sticker book.

12 hours ago, A Random Villager said:

It's been two worlds since the past decade.

• Thumbs Up 1

30 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Is Shadow being a killer still considered an inherent part of his character?

I mean, the endings where you kill people are all supposed to be the bad endings in his own game, and nothing else really counteracts that.

He's not a killer, just happens to kill from time to time.

21 minutes ago, thumbs13 said:

I mean, the endings where you kill people are all supposed to be the bad endings in his own game, and nothing else really counteracts that.

He's not a killer, just happens to kill from time to time.

Okay, maybe just plain killer is a bit extreme, but I meant to say his inclination towards it compared to the other characters.

• 1 month later...

If Mighty the Armadillo & Big the Cat had an arm wrestling match, who would win?

1 hour ago, Sonictrainer said:

If Mighty the Armadillo & Big the Cat had an arm wrestling match, who would win?

Big would get distracted looking at something else, which could give Mighty the opening to go Plus Ultra.

5 hours ago, Sonictrainer said:

Stalemate. Big is too strong to lose, but thinks they're just shaking hands.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 4 weeks later...

Can someone confirm or deny this?: I could've sworn there was a prerelease bit of story information for Colors that mentioned something about Tails not being as fast as we think. The place that seemed like the best bet was Sonic Stadium since they tended to do minor updates with information on upcoming games, but I couldn't find anything of the sort.

Something I sometimes do is look up Sonic fanart, see what is out there. Ofcourse, alot of it is about shipping, either ones that are hinted at like Sonic x Amy, Sonic x Sally, Tails x Cosmo etc, or popular ones like Silver x Blaze, Shadow x Rouge etc. It just occured to me though that I have never seen any piece that ever paired Sonic x Princess Elise, despite it being one of the few canon relationships out there.

So I am curious, has anyone ever seen fanart, or a fan out there, who liked Sonic x Elise? I think I just find it humourous since in Sonic '06, it pushes that relationship quite forward, then has Silver and Blaze as just friends, but Silver x Blaze is like one of the most popular ships out there.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/10/2020 at 5:03 PM, DabigRG said:

Is this in relation to Shadow The Hedgehog Game? Which as I understand it is a spin off. 

I don’t recollect Shadow killing anyone in SA2 or Heroes. 

On 6/11/2020 at 1:03 AM, DabigRG said:

On 6/11/2020 at 1:57 AM, DabigRG said:

Okay, maybe just plain killer is a bit extreme, but I meant to say his inclination towards it compared to the other characters.

I don't think that Shadow killing is an inherent part of his character, but I think of all the characters other than Omega, he would be the least squeamish about it and would probably have the lowest bar for deeming it necessary.

I don't think that he would kill unless he absolutely had to, and there are circumstances where it is impossible to avoid even for other characters (Shadow and Sonic technically kill the Biolizard, and the other characters don't seem to worry about destroying the Black Arms that they fight), but if it becomes necessary, he has no qualms about it compared to other characters - indeed he doesn't seem to have any remorse for committing genocide against an (admittedly evil) alien race in order to save Earth.

Do we have any other documentation or sources on how and who conceptualized the Deadly Six? There's the one promo artwork and the statement of how they were based on Oni with the goal of having their designs reflect their personalities, but that's about it.Deadly Six Concept Artwork by ZazzTheZeti on DeviantArt

• Fist Bump 1

• 1 month later...
5 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

Only that last one definitively looks like his...

The hands on this one looks similar to some later artwork, particularly the curled hands. Same with the way the glove cuffs and shoe cuffs are drawn with those U-shaped creases.

RQlhm9t.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, MainJP said:

The hands on this one looks similar to some later artwork, particularly the curled hands.

I was thinking that too, but wasn't sure it was enough of to go off of.

What is the source of Chaos Emeralds? What is Chaos? 

Mind you I am familiar with The Ancient Walkers and Enerjak. 

I just would like a succinct explanation of Chaos and Chaos Emeralds. 

4 hours ago, Titan Mecha Sonic said:

What is the source of Chaos Emeralds? What is Chaos? 

Mind you I am familiar with The Ancient Walkers and Enerjak. 

I just would like a succinct explanation of Chaos and Chaos Emeralds. 

Chaos is a Chao that mutated due to extensive exposure with the Master Emerald and thus ascended into being a diety in the eyes of the natives and the Echidnas who conquered them.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, DabigRG said:

Chaos is a Chao that mutated due to extensive exposure with the Master Emerald

That is a fan theory.

Chaos is a mutant Chao. That's all we've been told officially.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Pengi said:

That is a fan theory.

Did the Chao mutated from contact with the Master Emerald or emeralds? 

1 hour ago, Titan Mecha Sonic said:

Did the Chao mutated from contact with the Master Emerald or emeralds? 

• Thumbs Up 1