Awoo.

Your Unanswered Sonic Questions

Person

20 hours ago, Domino said:

I know Aaron Webber confirmed the Two Worlds scenario was canon a few times, but apparently AAUK said it was just a single world back when he was community manager. So has the Two Worlds thing only been part of the main canon since the early 2010s? If so, then I'm assuming the games made prior to that point weren't made with the world split in mind.

I hear it was first mentioned in an obscure interview about Sonic Colors, with the world in Colors being the non human one. Don't think there was ever a mention of it prior. So chances are that element was made.....specifically after Unleashed? Maybe even during development.

• Thumbs Up 1

I never understood this: The Spinner enemy from Sonic Adventure returned in Sonic Unleashed. But why the Spinner of all enemies? I'm glad it's here and sort of a staple ever since Unleashed but I just don't get it. Also I recall some fan sources calling it the E-06 Spinner for whatever reason.

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, jungle_penguins said:

I never understood this: The Spinner enemy from Sonic Adventure returned in Sonic Unleashed. But why the Spinner of all enemies? I'm glad it's here and sort of a staple ever since Unleashed but I just don't get it. Also I recall some fan sources calling it the E-06 Spinner for whatever reason.

spacer.png

spacer.png

I had no idea that was meant to be Spina, but it makes sense. They sometimes acted as homing attack chains anyway.

Is Shadow in Heroes a fricken clone or not? Maybe this is super obvious to everyone else but I get so confused at this whole story line. Like SA2, he's the real ultimate life form... then he dies, comes back to life in Heroes but it's discovered he's a clone (??). And then in STH he finds out he's an android? Idgi.

8 minutes ago, sassytassie said:

Is Shadow in Heroes a fricken clone or not? Maybe this is super obvious to everyone else but I get so confused at this whole story line. Like SA2, he's the real ultimate life form... then he dies, comes back to life in Heroes but it's discovered he's a clone (??). And then in STH he finds out he's an android? Idgi.

No one knows what the intention was when Heroes was written, but if the player takes too long in the final boss of Shadow, Eggman reveals he really is the real Shadow.

2 minutes ago, Razule said:

No one knows what the intention was when Heroes was written, but if the player takes too long in the final boss of Shadow, Eggman reveals he really is the real Shadow.

Oh wow, really? I've only played STH once year ago just to see what it was like. Interesting. 

I haven't watched Sonic X in ages but reading though old posts reminded me of this question.

pod.PNG.33186fdcc91393f996a3ef9fe3b3f4f1.PNG

In the flashback sequence we see Maria eject two pods from the ARK. Rogue says, "There were 2 capsules ejected from the ARK when the facility was shut down, apparently neither was ever found." 

For simplicity's sake (because there's a lot of weirdness with the way the flashbacks and memories are framed), let's assume 1 capsule was Shadow and was recovered after all. But what became of the other one? I don't think the show ever states it or even mentions it again? Is there any obscure answer from the production team? What was the purpose of adding another capsule in the first place? I've heard of one claim suggesting it's Sonic, which I find very interesting. but that raises even more questions. It's possible this ties into the games given how Sonic Adventure 2's writer supervised Sonic X's story. But what do you think?

5 hours ago, jungle_penguins said:

I haven't watched Sonic X in ages but reading though old posts reminded me of this question.

pod.PNG.33186fdcc91393f996a3ef9fe3b3f4f1.PNG

In the flashback sequence we see Maria eject two pods from the ARK. Rogue says, "There were 2 capsules ejected from the ARK when the facility was shut down, apparently neither was ever found." 

For simplicity's sake (because there's a lot of weirdness with the way the flashbacks and memories are framed), let's assume 1 capsule was Shadow and was recovered after all. But what became of the other one? I don't think the show ever states it or even mentions it again? Is there any obscure answer from the production team? What was the purpose of adding another capsule in the first place? I've heard of one claim suggesting it's Sonic, which I find very interesting. but that raises even more questions. It's possible this ties into the games given how Sonic Adventure 2's writer supervised Sonic X's story. But what do you think?

Excellent question.

Perhaps they originally planned on doing something else but that got lost in the shuffle.

That or it's Emerl.

2 hours ago, DabigRG said:

Excellent question.

Perhaps they originally planned on doing something else but that got lost in the shuffle.

That or it's Emerl.

Emerl is a good suggestion. I read that Eggman describes him as an robot built long ago, but never mentioning he himself built Emerl. So it could be Gerald Robotnik making another version of The Ultimate Lifeform. Though like the Sonic claim, it also brings more questions on how Emerl was acquired. I guess it could be a tossup between those two.  

2 hours ago, jungle_penguins said:

Emerl is a good suggestion. I read that Eggman describes him as an robot built long ago, but never mentioning he himself built Emerl. So it could be Gerald Robotnik making another version of The Ultimate Lifeform. Though like the Sonic claim, it also brings more questions on how Emerl was acquired. I guess it could be a tossup between those two.  

In the games, Gerald discovered Emerl and did a bit of fiddling with him before setting him aside.

On 2/11/2021 at 11:57 PM, sassytassie said:

I believe by intent it was always meant to be the real Shadow in Heroes. Metal Sonic says, "Ultimate lifeform data successfully copied" and Omega at the end says "You know about cloning... the original must exist somewhere."

Unfortunately, this now has me thinking, and I know I really shouldn't be questioning the meme status of Sonic lore™, but why did no one ever tell Shadow about his past? It's arguably justified in Heroes, where Rouge assumes Shadow is an android and doesn't want to tell, with Sonic being too busy fighting Shadow in their brief encounter for there to be explanations. But what about Battle (though I know little about Battle), and obviously, the Shadow the Hedgehog game, the premise of which is entirely based on Shadow finding his past, with a lot of additions.

• Thumbs Up 1

38 minutes ago, jungle_penguins said:

Unfortunately, this now has me thinking, and I know I really shouldn't be questioning the meme status of Sonic lore™, but why did no one ever tell Shadow about his past? It's arguably justified in Heroes, where Rouge assumes Shadow is an android and doesn't want to tell, with Sonic being too busy fighting Shadow in their brief encounter for there to be explanations. But what about Battle (though I know little about Battle), and obviously, the Shadow the Hedgehog game, the premise of which is entirely based on Shadow finding his past, with a lot of additions.

I think you may have answered your question.

But it also brings to mind the question of how much does anyone actually know about it?

It's been a good while, but If I recall Shadow's characterized in Battle like his game has already happened and he remembers a good chunk of things again. Like wasn't he familiar with Emerl's relation to Gerald? 

7 hours ago, DabigRG said:

I think you may have answered your question.

But it also brings to mind the question of how much does anyone actually know about it?

The Adventure 2 cast knew just enough (Gerald going crazy, heck even mentioning how Shadow saved Earth should be enough) By the time of his titular game Shadow is treated as the real one by everyone except Eggman. No one seems to be bothered by Shadow's amnesia which is confusing. I guess Shadow never asked or was concerned about something else? I probably should've watched all the cutscenes again but I'm not that invested. 

1 hour ago, Cuz said:

It's been a good while, but If I recall Shadow's characterized in Battle like his game has already happened and he remembers a good chunk of things again. Like wasn't he familiar with Emerl's relation to Gerald? 

From what little I know about Battle, he seems to be conflicted on his identity which goes against the ending of Shadow the Hedgehog. Could just be a plot hole and it really is meant to take place after.

• 4 weeks later...

Does anyone have the "Heads or Tails" script that was on the American "Sonic the Hedgehog: The Complete Series" DVD? 

A fansite had the images, but page 32 was missing. Was this page included on the DVD?

I have the set, and went to check until I realized this new laptop doesn't have a DVD drive. 😅

What happened to Amy’s tarot reading skills? It seems like it should be a big part of her character, considering the only reason she met Sonic in the first place was because her tarot cards said he would be on Little Planet, yet it’s rarely mentioned.

11 minutes ago, Cuz said:

I have the set, and went to check until I realized this new laptop doesn't have a DVD drive. 😅

Thanks anyway! If you ever do get the chance to extract the file or check for page 32, it would be most appreciated!

13 hours ago, Piko said:

What happened to Amy’s tarot reading skills? It seems like it should be a big part of her character, considering the only reason she met Sonic in the first place was because her tarot cards said he would be on Little Planet, yet it’s rarely mentioned.

Any magic-esque skills that Amy once had have long since been forgotten about. I don't know if I'd say that they should be or ever were a big part of her character; they were mentioned in the SCD manual but the manuals were often full of little details that weren't even slightly hinted at in the games themselves. The important thing about Amy in the SCD manual is that she travelled to Little Planet and was infatuated with Sonic.

Some later games referenced her magic very loosely. In Fighters, her arena is the Magic Carpet, which seems totally random until you consider that she at one point used tarot cards and m then there's a bit of a theme of magic and mystical powers going on. And in Chronicles, which was full of several continuity errors and some pretty cool deep cuts, she uses her tarot cards for one of her attacks. But that's it, unless you count '06 which have her that totally left-field ability to turn invisible.

Whilst they could totally bring in magic for a new character, giving such abilities to Amy now would be awkward. She was barely associated with magic in the early days of the franchise, and for all of the time that she's be an established character with her own stories and development get magic skills haven't been brought up once. It's a shame that they didn't run with this idea, but it seems like it was never more than a throwaway detail anyway.

I think some fans have taken the tarot card thing far beyond what it was intended to mean. I think it was only meant to be something similar to reading your horoscope or playing with a cootie catcher; she's a young girl with a crush, looking for fate to endorse it. She didn't necessarily have a huge inherent interest in it, and there certainly wasn't enough evidence to conclude that she had any sort of actual "magic" abilities, so once she had her fated romantic encounter it stopped being relevant compared to the actual adventures she ended up going on.

That's not to say it's a trait that needed to be cut, it could've been an interesting angle to explore (either as actual powers or just a personal interest), but when people point to it as some major lost character trait or redesign her around magic, I think they're overthinking it.

• Thumbs Up 3

5 hours ago, Diogenes said:

I think it was only meant to be something similar to reading your horoscope or playing with a cootie catcher; she's a young girl with a crush, looking for fate to endorse it.

I never thought about it like that but that’s a good point. She was 8 in CD, so it makes sense that she would do something like that to back up her infatuation. I remember comparing my crush’s zodiac to mine and convincing myself that we were totally gonna get married one day because our signs were compatible.

10 hours ago, Diogenes said:

I think some fans have taken the tarot card thing far beyond what it was intended to mean. I think it was only meant to be something similar to reading your horoscope or playing with a cootie catcher; she's a young girl with a crush, looking for fate to endorse it. She didn't necessarily have a huge inherent interest in it, and there certainly wasn't enough evidence to conclude that she had any sort of actual "magic" abilities, so once she had her fated romantic encounter it stopped being relevant compared to the actual adventures she ended up going on.

That's not to say it's a trait that needed to be cut, it could've been an interesting angle to explore (either as actual powers or just a personal interest), but when people point to it as some major lost character trait or redesign her around magic, I think they're overthinking it.

I feel like that’s a valid interpretation of this trait as well. Regardless of what the trait amounts to, it’s still interesting. It could be funny if other characters believe she DOES have magic powers, but she’s been faking it in reality. 

I recall there being an episode of the Sonic Official livestream where Aaron Webber showed an Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog series bible (just the cover, I think). Does anyone know which episode this was?