Awoo.

Your Unanswered Sonic Questions

Person

What do Sonic and Tails actually do? As far as I can tell they don't really share anything in common, I guess they must share interests in ways you wouldn't necessarily be able tell from the games.

Sonic: We need to find out whatever heinous plan Eggman is hatching!

Tails: And wreck that plan, right?

Sonic: Yeah, that's pretty much how we spend our time.

So, not a hell of a lot really :P

Sonic: We need to find out whatever heinous plan Eggman is hatching!

Tails: And wreck that plan, right?

Sonic: Yeah, that's pretty much how we spend our time.

So, not a hell of a lot really tongue.png

They spend their free time playing Magic: The Gathering and writing Mario fanfiction.

• Thumbs Up 2

They spend their free time playing Magic: The Gathering and writing Mario fanfiction.

I got more of a Sonic 2, Sonic 3, and other games where Sonic and Tails are playable characters(and are both selectable in 2-player mode)

Also, has anyone else fallen through the incomplete loop in Green Forest Hard mode in SA2?

Edited by Dom

Okay, this one's been on my mind for a couple of days.

Who's the best rival for Sonic of the three?

------------------------------------------------------

Emerl vs Metal Sonic vs Shadow

------------------------------------------------------

Before some may jump to conclusions, I ask this simply when I saw a Sonic X episode the other day with Emerl, he can match any characters abilities, not just Sonic (but that's a helpful piece of advice, I guess). Metal Sonic was built to be exactly or to be better than Sonic, he can pretty much top Sonic's abilities. I always thought Shadow was a good rival for Sonic. 

I was going to throw Knuckles into this, since he pretty much was Sonic's second rival, after Metal Sonic.

(Sonic 1 -> Sonic 2 -> Sonic CD -> Sonic 3 -> etc.)

But, I don't think Knuckles could stand a chance against these three, he's still one of my favorite Characters, though. 

What do you guys think? Supporting your answer would be appreciated! ^^

Edited by OmegaXCL
  • Thumbs Up 2

Emerl has no interest in being Sonic's rival. He's theoretically one of, if not the, strongest characters in the series given that he can copy anything and combine it with everything else he's copied, but there's no actual rivalry between them. If power alone was enough for a rivalry you might as well include Solaris and Dark Gaia.

Between Shadow and Metal, though...they can both compete with Sonic speedwise, and they've both got some reason to butt heads with him. So what it'd come down to is character...and neither of them has any.

Well okay you could argue that Shadow has something (I might be inclined to argue otherwise, but whatever), but none of it's pointed at Sonic. Not since SA2 has there been any meaningful rivalry between them; they've fought a few times since then, but not for any real reason besides trying to make them look like rivals. And Metal, the closest thing to a proper characterization in any way was Heroes, which was kind of wonky and who knows what, if any, of it stuck.

I would say, in theory, that Metal would be the better rival. Shadow doesn't have a whole lot of reason to go against Sonic; it's not impossible to come up with a reason, but there's nothing really strong that jumps out at me. He's a rival mostly out of inertia. But Sonic and Metal compete over being Sonic. Fighting over an identity can make for some pretty serious rival shit. But like I said neither really has the characterization for it, so they're both pretty crappy rivals.

Blaze isn't good enough to be Sonic's rival?

They have absolutely no reason to fight anymore.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'd honestly prefer Metal without any personality.  He is a robot, after all

That's dumb, and contrary to most of Eggman's robots. Also the rest of your post pretty much contradicts this so...???

Fuck, I don't know.

I honestly don't even read half the stuff I fuckin' post anymore.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah, they fought once just because of Blaze being the hothead she was prior to Sonic, Tails and Cream showing her how to open up and discover friendship and all that. It's not like Shadow or Jet, who actually have cemented personalities and goals that clash with Sonic's own; Blaze is on fully friendly terms now... to the point where Sonic would actually calmly discuss something like electromagnetic waves with her (Rush Adventure cutscene prior to the radio tower being built) instead of being impatient about techno-babble like he usually is, interestingly enough.

Of course, there's that Classic Sonic mission in Generations where you have to chase her down, but even the likes of Espio were up for picking on Sonic for the character missions despite having no personal vendetta, so...

Edit: Where'd the quote go...?

Edited by t0ms0nic

Emerl has no interest in being Sonic's rival. He's theoretically one of, if not the, strongest characters in the series given that he can copy anything and combine it with everything else he's copied, but there's no actual rivalry between them. If power alone was enough for a rivalry you might as well include Solaris and Dark Gaia.

Between Shadow and Metal, though...they can both compete with Sonic speedwise, and they've both got some reason to butt heads with him. So what it'd come down to is character...and neither of them has any.

Well okay you could argue that Shadow has something (I might be inclined to argue otherwise, but whatever), but none of it's pointed at Sonic. Not since SA2 has there been any meaningful rivalry between them; they've fought a few times since then, but not for any real reason besides trying to make them look like rivals. And Metal, the closest thing to a proper characterization in any way was Heroes, which was kind of wonky and who knows what, if any, of it stuck.

I would say, in theory, that Metal would be the better rival. Shadow doesn't have a whole lot of reason to go against Sonic; it's not impossible to come up with a reason, but there's nothing really strong that jumps out at me. He's a rival mostly out of inertia. But Sonic and Metal compete over being Sonic. Fighting over an identity can make for some pretty serious rival shit. But like I said neither really has the characterization for it, so they're both pretty crappy rivals.

I appreciate your reply, but it's not who is the better rival, but who would make the better rival, sorry if I didn't word that correctly. I understand that Emerl doesn't have a reason to fight Sonic, but I'm asking who would be the strongest opponent for Sonic, between Emerl, Metal, and Shadow.

Blaze isn't good enough to be Sonic's rival?

I never said that. There's several characters who would make decent rivals for Sonic, but I thought the 3 I listed would make the best, and wanted to see who the community thought would make the best one. 

Same for Knuckles, though. I thought he'd make an awesome rival for Sonic, but he just isn't up there with the three. Sonic and Knuckles' battles in Sonic X were awesome, though. Their battle in Sonic Adventure was a joke. :/

Blaze was a good rival for Rush but after that they became friends, which I'm okay with as it seemed like reasonable character development for her to be like "maybe this blue turd is right, I could do with some help beating this Eggman Nega". After that she's just been a friend aside from 06 where they never interact at all, even when in the same cutscene but that's 06 for you.

Generations had the whole "Metal Sonic/Shadow/Silver" as rivals, it would be cool if they really did something with this. Metal Sonic re-appeared in Sonic 4 Episode 2, but he was more a recurring boss battle like Ridley in Metroid (a thing I'm not opposed to btw), and Shadow and Silver probably won't be that relevant for a while.

Okay, I've got a quick and potently stupid question that has been bothering me since last night after looking at the character profiles in Generations.

So why is Knuckles tail (for lack of a better word) crooked? Is there some reason it's part of his design that I don't know about? As far as I know it's always been the case, but is there any explanation as to why?

Just for a quick reference about what I mean (even though you all know already)...

bioknuckles.png

Okay, I've got a quick and potently stupid question that has been bothering me since last night after looking at the character profiles in Generations.

So why is Knuckles tail (for lack of a better word) crooked? Is there some reason it's part of his design that I don't know about? As far as I know it's always been the case, but is there any explanation as to why?

Just for a quick reference about what I mean (even though you all know already)...

bioknuckles.png

On a biological level, no. Echidnas don't have crooked tails IRL, then again they don't wear gloves and fly either.

I think it's like that for aesthetic reasons, if it were straight it wouldn't look any different from his dreadlocks. The crookedness makes his design more distinct by contrasting with his droopy spines. It could have also been a way of indicating his status as an antagonist back in Sonic 3 since Fang has a similarly designed tail.

Or it could just be because it looks cool, I dunno.

• Thumbs Up 1

Thinking about Chronicles' ending reminded me of the following.

During the game, Shade explains that to stay outside the Twilight Cage, her and her underlings use a belt that generates a bubble of twilight space around their bodies. But as this is not permanent, they have to return to the cage.

Why?

Also, Shade escapes the cage but then how is she capable of living outside it if her bubble isn't permanent?

They never showed the part where Shade's body suddenly gets torn from inside out, the ending cut that off.

Quick random question here, but I guess that's what 110% of this topic is, haha.

For those who watched ALL of Sonic X, you should remember the epic final battle of the series...

***SPOILERS!!!***

At the very end, right before Cosmo turns into a tree on Dark Oak's giant planet thing, Super Sonic states that he wants Tails (or whoever) to shoot him at the epic gravity field (that's crushing the giant planet egg), which may cause him to loose his life. The team is shocked to hear about Sonic's idea, somebody (I forget who) says that Sonic;s body may not survive the impact, and that the force may crush his body.

Now that all that's outta the way ^^; onto the question:

Could that really have happened? From what I know, Super Sonic is 100% invincible (excluding the games that give him a life bar *facepalm* or something like that) the only thing I know that can, not kill, but defeat Super Sonic during gameplay is running out of rings during a Final Boss Battle, running out of time, or in the case of some games, falling into the "no zone" or off screen into the death boundary.

So, since Super Sonic is invincible, could the impact really have crushed Sonic's body/killed him?

Take time to think this out, and please support your answer. Thanks, Bros!

Could that really have happened? From what I know, Super Sonic is 100% invincible (excluding the games that give him a life bar *facepalm* or something like that) the only thing I know that can, not kill, but defeat Super Sonic during gameplay is running out of rings during a Final Boss Battle, running out of time, or in the case of some games, falling into the "no zone" or off screen into the death boundary.

I don't think this is explicitly the case in X. Super Sonic has a visible arm wound in episode 53 and he still has it when he reverts (It keeps plagues him during the episode by impacting his running speed);

97lk5k.jpg

Whatsmore, Super Shadow and Super Sonic were visible struggling against the gravity field and were even temporarily immobilized by it. I think it'd be a case of having enhanced power regarding survival. They were rerouting power to the cannon as well as planning to sacrifice every ring they had on hand (Over 300) to give him every ounce of power they could muster and Sonic even tells Shadow to conserve his wrist rings for the 'final moment'. So Super Sonic seems pretty confident that he'll succeed without killing himself as he even reassures Amy when she protests the plan that he'll be OK.

• Thumbs Up 1

Super Sonic probably isn't literally invincible. Just very, very strong, to the point where most things don't scratch him. After all, invincibility in games is usually just immunity to normal hurty things, like spikes, lasers, goombas, etc, and there's still plenty of things that can kill you (crushing, drowning, pits).

• Thumbs Up 6

Super Sonic probably isn't literally invincible.

You don't think so?

He can drown, be squished, fall to his death, multiple attacks in games can hurt him (make him loose rings) and Eggman and Knuckles have both knocked Sonic outta super

He can drown, be squished, fall to his death, multiple attacks in games can hurt him (make him loose rings) and Eggman and Knuckles have both knocked Sonic outta super

Well the drowning weakness was removed from Sonic 4 onwards.

Another one of Super Sonic's weaknesses is how hard it is to sustain the form according to SONIC CHANNEL. It takes a lot of energy. And being pushing it too hard/for too long can knock Sonic out. Just see one of the last cutscenes in Sonic Unleashed after Perfect Dark Gaia was defeated.

• Thumbs Up 1

You don't think so?

Why would he be? He's "invincible" in game terms (which as I said is a far cry from literal invincibility) and obviously very powerful, but at what point were we led to believe that literally nothing can damage him?

I think Super Sonic is merely durable and can survive in harsh conditions, but he isn't completely invulnerable. Even Superman is vulnerable to things: Red Sun, Magic, and of course Kryptonite. A force of equal or greater power is probably capable of hurting him, hence why  Final Bosses like Solaris and Dark Gaia can damage him.

Edited by Azure Yakuzu
  • Thumbs Up 2