Awoo.

Your Unanswered Sonic Questions

Person

There's one very odd thing I noticed about Knuckles' story in Sonic Adventure.

After he's restored some of the Master Emerald and notices that it still isn't complete, Gamma falls out of the sky for literally no apparent reason (6:10 in this video);

Why? Gamma at this point in his story chronologically has no reason at all to go to Angel Island. Unless Gamma is doing this whilst his consciousness has been warped into the past by Tikal, which happened directly after finding Froggy at Emerald Coast and is subconsciously making his way to Final Egg to re-board the Egg Carrier.

Drugs, or in Gamma's case, Malware.

Also, why is Planet Wisp Gens 100% machinery after the first 2 minutes? Colours at least shows that they construction isn't complete and shows patches of grass alongside the metal floors in the drifting sections or running through grass in a 3d section. In Gens I feel like eggman just missed that 1 minute of greenery in the beginning and completed everything else.

My question is this: who canonically won the character battles in SA2? It really doesn't matter either way, but I'd still like to know. It seemed obvious to me Eggman won the fight against Tails on the ark, as he managed to acquire  the final emerald. True, it did show him sneakily steal the last emerald in the hero story, but I find it hard to believe he would be able to get up off the floor, take the emerald, and escape without Tails or Amy noticing. I'm not sure who won the other fights, though. 

My question is this: who canonically won the character battles in SA2? It really doesn't matter either way, but I'd still like to know. It seemed obvious to me Eggman won the fight against Tails on the ark, as he managed to acquire  the final emerald. True, it did show him sneakily steal the last emerald in the hero story, but I find it hard to believe he would be able to get up off the floor, take the emerald, and escape without Tails or Amy noticing. I'm not sure who won the other fights, though.

Green Forest/White Jungle - Draw.

Weapons Bed - Tails won.

Meteor Herd/Mad Space - Draw.

Crazy Gadget/Cosmic Wall - Tails won.

Final Rush/Final Chase - Sonic won.

Sonic and Shadow were equally tired after their first scuffle but neither showed signs of defeat. So it was a draw.

Eggman said "Next time, you won't be so lucky" and then phones Shadow to say he's been delayed. I always perceived this to be because Tails got the upper hand and defeated him.

Like the first Sonic/Shadow scuffle, Knuckles and Rouge are not shown to have truimphed over the other, being exhausted instead. Draw.

Tails defeated Eggman after the capsule scene. Eggman was on the floor defeated and Tails outright says that he 'did it'. Eggman deviously steals the real yellow emerald and darts for the cannon control room whilst Tails and Amy are distracted by Sonic's call. Eggman only puts the emerald into the cannon after Sonic damaged it with the fake.

Sonic beat the crap out of Shadow to stop him getting in the way. He was free to destroy the cannon then without interference. Shadow goes back to mope on the Ark before Amy appeals to his memories.

• Thumbs Up 4

Well, does anyone have a concrete answer on why 06 has such long load times?

I recall reading that the game was so badly programmed, the 360 had to re-calculate lighting/shadow for the hubs/stages every time sections of each were entered and when missions were instigated. This is what ultimately made the loading times so obscene. I know very little about stuff like this, I only recall reading it. So don't quote me as fact.

Eggman said "Next time, you won't be so lucky" and then phones Shadow to say he's been delayed. I always perceived this to be because Tails got the upper hand and defeated him.

The full line was, "This time I'll let you go. But the next time we meet, you won't be so lucky." That sounds to me like Eggman decided he couldn't waste any more time with Tails, so he broke it off before there was a clear winner.
  • Thumbs Up 1

I recall reading that the game was so badly programmed, the 360 had to re-calculate lighting/shadow for the hubs/stages every time sections of each were entered and when missions were instigated.

I recall hearing this as well, and it doesn't help the fact that the entire game's default model measurements/size are roughly 100x the size of the ones used in recent games, such as Unleashed, Colours and Generations.

aYW3wn3.png

Think about that for a moment. A game that absolutely pales in comparision with beauty compared to Unleashed and Generations, both sharing the same consoles, and even Colours on the lesser-powered Wii, has models that are over 100x bigger complete with textures to match that scale and everything. And that's the entire game, even during cutscenes where they secretly use entirely different assets for the faces and the sort.

I recall hearing this as well, and it doesn't help the fact that the entire game's default model measurements/size are roughly 100x the size of the ones used in recent games, such as Unleashed, Colours and Generations.

aYW3wn3.png

Think about that for a moment. A game that absolutely pales in comparision with beauty compared to Unleashed and Generations, both sharing the same consoles, and even Colours on the lesser-powered Wii, has models that are over 100x bigger complete with textures to match that scale and everything. And that's the entire game, even during cutscenes where they secretly use entirely different assets for the faces and the sort.

This brings something up. Forgive me for not understanding 3d models and game design well, but could they just reduce the size of Sonic's model and downsize the levels accordingly to conserve space on the disk because the models are smaller?

I don't think it actually works that way. 3D models, by my limited understanding, are more like 2D vector art than raster art. That is, they're essentially a set of points and instructions on how to connect them. The size of the model doesn't really make a difference; you still have the same number of points, the same number of edges, the same number of polygons, they're just further apart.

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't think it actually works that way. 3D models, by my limited understanding, are more like 2D vector art than raster art. That is, they're essentially a set of points and instructions on how to connect them. The size of the model doesn't really make a difference; you still have the same number of points, the same number of edges, the same number of polygons, they're just further apart.

Yeah, surely the unleashed model has a higher poly count than the 06' model?

aYW3wn3.png

So if you left the scale from 06 as is and played as Unleashed Sonic, would this simulate the feeling of Pikmin?

What the hell is Eggman saying when he pets the chao in Sonic Adventure 2? 

Is it "yosh"? Is Eggman practicing his Japanese or something?

Erm... he was saying yes, but he was slightly drunk.

That's why he's saying yosh. I think.

It is Japanese, they didn't dub Eggman lines at the Chao Garden.

• Thumbs Up 3

• 2 weeks later...

Why is the song called Seven Rings in Hand if neither Sonic or Erazor have Seven Rings during the final battle?

• Thumbs Up 1

Because the 7 rings were needed to get in Erazor's throne room.

I don't think the song was meant to be taken as either of them literally having all 7 in hand.

Edited by DarkLight

Probably something to do with having needing to collect them all to get thus far in the game, but yeah, not literal but still a pretty cool song

Ah, makes sense now. After the 3D cut scene entering Erazor's throne room it makes perfect sense.

Well, does anyone have a concrete answer on why 06 has such long load times?

The main reason I believe is to do with a terrible, terrible compression method Sonic Team used. How best to explain it...

You know how you might have some files stored away in archives, such as .zip or .rar? Imagine every single file in your computer was stored away as such, and every time you wanted to do anything you have to decompress/extract them. It'd be pretty time consuming. Almost everything in '06 was compressed a huge amount and had to be decompressed whenever it needed to be loaded. This isn't uncommon in games, but for '06 the compression method was so bad it took ages to decompress, hence the loading times.

It's a problem with the game that goes right down to it's very core. When people say "oh it'd be fine if they fixed the loading times" they're speaking out of sheer ignorance because the game would have to be completely rebuilt. 

Edited by Blue Blood
  • Thumbs Up 2

Drugs, or in Gamma's case, Malware.

Also, why is Planet Wisp Gens 100% machinery after the first 2 minutes? Colours at least shows that they construction isn't complete and shows patches of grass alongside the metal floors in the drifting sections or running through grass in a 3d section. In Gens I feel like eggman just missed that 1 minute of greenery in the beginning and completed everything else.

Classic has a little bit like that early on with the treetops with machinery all around, and Modern's has deforestation in progress and some roadblocks, which is a really nice touch, but I wish they did more with it. I do agree though that the Generations version is much less integrated than the Colours version. I think it works for Classic though, as it feels more like a "classic factory level" where a lot of it is complete but not all of it.

My unanswered quest is what's in the chili dogs that Sonic likes to eat?

Obviously Chili.

Well according to sonic team. they had no time to go back and basically do next to anything. Not test it, not touch up things, not implimit the online features etc because sega rushed them to get it out for the holiday season and to tie into his 15 annivsary as they did not want to miss it. (in ref to sonic 06 load)

But my question. Why doesnt eggman use the emeralds on himself. Think about this for a moment. He is pretty strong and he is quite fast. What would happen if just for once instead of a machine or god of destruction if he simply used them on himself.