Awoo.

Your Unanswered Sonic Questions

Person

By that logic, there is no Zelda timeline simply because Hyrule's layout changes between the original Zelda and Zelda II.

The world maps aren't much indication of a game's canonicity. In Sonic's case, it's the result of Sonic Team not being able to come up with a consistent art style between Adventure - Unleashed.

Except Zelda's timeline has Word of God behind it, so it can be fully chalked up as canon. Complete with a massive book on the matter if I'm not mistaken.

Sure it's primarily a design choice. But until SEGA takes the time to give us a chronological order, I'm going to continue using the different world maps as hinting at the possibility there's more than one timeline in play here. You either sew the threads together or I'm going to assume they're separate entirely. tongue.png

Those people chanting "Zelda timeline" at Sonic Boom couldn't have been more accurate...

Edited by Ogilvie Maurice

I thought the general rule was "every game released in chronological order happened in that order unless specified otherwise (e.g. Sonic 4 happening before Adventure and Chaotix being outright non canon)".

I thought the general rule was "every game released in chronological order happened in that order unless specified otherwise (e.g. Sonic 4 happening before Adventure and Chaotix being outright non canon)".

Is that the most likely case? Probably.

But I'm being a Devil's Advocate here, trying to establish just how shoddy this continuity is and why SEGA really should do something about it. They won't, but I'm still in favor of them doing so... some day. When they care about it as much as I do. tongue.png

Well aside from a few instances (of usually non-canon games) the games generally take place in one area

Sonic 1: South Island

Sonic 2: Westside Island

Sonic CD: Little Planet

Sonic 3 & Knuckles: Angel Island

Sonic Adventure: Station Square & Mystic Ruins

Sonic adventure 2: City, Prison Island and Desert Area

Sonic Heroes: Unknown

Sonic 06: Soleana

Sonic Colours: Eggman's Amazing Interstellar Amusement Park

With only unleashed taking place worldwide (and even then we didn't cost that many places) its not hard to fit all of those individual places on one globe?

Edited by Jolt_TH

With only unleashed taking place worldwide (and even then we didn't cost that many places) its not hard to fit all of those individual places on one globe?

Which is exactly my problem. I'd like a set continuity and geography. It doesn't need to be too tightly wound, but how hard would it be to make a world map? They really should have included one in that Sonic Encyclopedia.

Having a set geography makes everything that much more immersive as it makes a world feel more real... it has its own countries, locations, politics, etc. just like our own.

Speaking of politics. Exactly what is the United Federation? I notice the GUN Commander takes orders from its President, so is the United Federation a worldwide United States, or is it just one country and GUN has global importance due to the Federation having global reach? "Guardian Units of Nations" implies that it's an international task force... a la NATO or the like, though it could just as easily be a military branch of their United Nations. Or hell, the United Federation being arrogant and assuming it's responsible for the entire world's defense.

Edited by Ogilvie Maurice

The N stands for "Nations", so I would assume it's an international army, with their main headquarters in the UF.

By that logic, there is no Zelda timeline simply because Hyrule's layout changes between the original Zelda and Zelda II.

Actually I've read that Zelda 2 takes place in a much larger area, with an area equivalent to the map from Zelda 1 shrunk down off in a corner.

Having a set geography makes everything that much more immersive as it makes a world feel more real... it has its own countries, locations, politics, etc. just like our own.

You don't really need a world map for that. Edited by Diogenes

You don't really need a world map for that.

It goes a long way towards helping it though, as it gives them all some substance.

I can see why one would be averse to a world map though as it makes for a finite amount of space one can use...

Sonic acknowledges Colours and SatSR's events in Generations which means they had to have happened before Generations. SatBK possibly references Unleashed and definitely references SA2 and SatSR, cementing it as canon to the 'main series'

Actually I would believe that other main-series games mentioning it would prove it to be canon, not the other way around, but Generations mentions SAtSR so SaTBK's kind of a given anyway.

I'm curious what the 'possible Unleashed reference' is?

Vertekins, on 13 Jun 2013 - 21:06, said:

Also on the topic of Sonic X, why is it that time flows differently between seasons? Plothole? 1 day on Earth = 1 week on Sonic's homeplanet. Yet 6 years on Earth = 6 months on Sonic's homeplanet. Inconsistent much?

Retconned for everyone to be as close to the same age as when the series started as possible, a very very poor excuse in the case of Chris's age.

Edited by Amomynous

This has probably been asked several times, but it's been on my mind lately.

Does Sonic have a top speed? If yes, how fast is it?

I've kind of came to a conclusion that Sonic's top speed is infinity, so when he tries to his top speed, he just keeps progressing faster and faster, there is no end.

It'd be cool, huh? 

This has probably been asked several times, but it's been on my mind lately.

Does Sonic have a top speed? If yes, how fast is it?

I've kind of came to a conclusion that Sonic's top speed is infinity, so when he tries to his top speed, he just keeps progressing faster and faster, there is no end.

It'd be cool, huh? 

Pretty sure it's about 758mph. A bit faster than sound. Someone here will probably correct me though :P

I always assumed the speed of sound, hence his name. We rarely see Sonic run at this actual speed, of course. Our brains would surely melt. Never mind the fact you go deaf for the duration.

Alternatively one can postulate that is only his minimum speed...

Hasn't it been said that his Top Speed is unknown?

I'm pretty sure it has to AT LEAST Be the Speed of Light, considering his Light-Speed abilities.

I'm pretty sure it has to AT LEAST Be the Speed of Light, considering his Light-Speed abilities.

He usually only gains Light Speed abilities using special enhancements.

I remember that an official bio said his top speed was 760 mph. I might be wrong though.

He usually only gains Light Speed abilities using special enhancements.

I remember that an official bio said his top speed was 760 mph. I might be wrong though.

Sometimes, Sonic's Light Speed abilities are there from the start. Such as Heroes or Generations

Sometimes, Sonic's Light Speed abilities are there from the start. Such as Heroes or Generations

He could just be holding on to the Light Speed Shoes between games.

I'm sure that Sonic does have a finite speed, just an absurdly high one. Super Sonic? Lord knows what his top speed is.

It's also only a name, as having him literally run at the speed of light would mean pretty much a whole bunch of awful things.

Pretty sure it's about 758mph. A bit faster than sound. Someone here will probably correct me though tongue.png

Is that with or without Super/Hyper Sonic?

I think It is between the speed of sound and something else :P

Definitely higher though, and yeah I don't think Sonic moves faster than the speed of light without the light-speed shoes, heck maybe not with them, I don't think even his body could width stand that aswell of the fact he would not be able to see anything, not to mention if he tripped at that speed...ouch

He could just be holding on to the Light Speed Shoes between games.

I like to believe they get absorbed into his body.

Pretty sure it's about 758mph. A bit faster than sound. Someone here will probably correct me though tongue.png

Isn't the speed of sound 768mph?

I personally believe that Sonic caps out at the Speed of Sound and can only go that fast for a limited amount of time, as he wears out quickly. This is evidenced by the tension and boost guages, showing that he, in fact, can not run insanely fast for extended periods of time, but can still run pretty fucking fast for a near unlimited amount of time.

• Thumbs Up 1

Isn't the speed of sound 768mph?

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's the speed of sound and is also Sonic's (un?)officially stated speed.

Edited by Gabe