Awoo.

Your Unanswered Sonic Questions

Person

Something I never fully understood was what exactly is happening here: 

aXUaINo.png

They're obviously in the desert (it looks like they might be in Hidden Base or something) near Dry Lagoon and Wild Canyon. But how did the emerald get there?

Did Rouge manage to somehow steal the emerald from under Knuckles' nose? Did Knuckles just go out for a walk carrying the emerald with him until Rouge caught sight of him and wanted the giant gem? Could this perhaps be the emerald altar but Sonic Team took creative liberties with it's design and decided it should look more like a desert in this game for whatever reason?

Also, Eggman seems to not recognize the Master Emerald, idk if it's a mistranslation or something, but that raises an eyebrow too.

• Thumbs Up 2

Oh yeah, I never understood that too. I thought they were at Angel Island near Sandopolis, and Rouge managed to stole and bring the ME only this far. But the map of SA2 debunk my theory XD It sure is a plot hole. It's definitely not the Altar, tho.

• Thumbs Up 1

I get the feeling either Rouge made off with it and Knuckles made a very long persistent chase after her, or it's consequence of recycling backgrounds for the game since they couldn't be bothered to remake the alter just for that one sequence. Either way, we definitely seem to have missed a large part of the argument beforehand.

• Thumbs Up 1

I've always wondered if the Orbot from Colors is the same character as the "Ergo" robot from Unleashed but got a couple upgrades. Probably not, and I'm probably looking too deep into things, but the fact that both robots have not a lot of respect for the Doc makes me question this.

40 minutes ago, Failinhearts said:

I've always wondered if the Orbot from Colors is the same character as the "Ergo" robot from Unleashed but got a couple upgrades. Probably not, and I'm probably looking too deep into things, but the fact that both robots have not a lot of respect for the Doc makes me question this.

I'm pretty sure the Ergo robot from Unleashed is the Proto-Type that would later be fixed up into Orbot, and later Cubot.

(This in regards to mainline games) Why is it that we have three Hedgehogs (four if you count the robot one), two cats, but no other Foxes, Badgers, Raccoons, Hawks, Albatrosses, Swallows, etc? We have plenty of Humans to go around. I understand why no Echidnas: Their tribe died out save for Knuckles.

2 minutes ago, Shade Vortex said:

(This in regards to mainline games) Why is it that we have three Hedgehogs (four if you count the robot one), two cats, but no other Foxes, Badgers, Raccoons, Hawks, Albatrosses, Swallows, etc? We have plenty of Humans to go around. I understand why no Echidnas: Their tribe died out save for Knuckles.

Maybe it's because hedgehogs and cats seem easier to design I guess. 

17 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

I'm pretty sure the Ergo robot from Unleashed is the Proto-Type that would later be fixed up into Orbot, and later Cubot.

Perhaps. Again, I might be looking too deep into things in terms of connections.

19 minutes ago, Shade Vortex said:

Three hedgehogs? Sonic, Shadow, Silver, Amy...seems like four to me ;)

I really don't think it means anything. I'm sure more of all those things exist in the Sonic universe, they just don't happen to be main characters.

From an out-of-universe perspective, Amy is probably a hedgehog to fit with the fact that the object of her affections is one (I mean, clearly it's not always necessary for the members of a couple to be the same species, but it's still sorta the most natural choice), Shadow is supposed to be a direct reflection of Sonic, and Silver was intended to be a mink but was changed because the other two main characters of '06 were hedgehogs. As for the fact that cats get two and other animals don't, I think it's probably meaningless. Blaze might have been a cat because they just fit the Sonic style so easily. (Though, you're technically forgetting about one cat: Honey! ;P) As a general rule, it's probably a good idea not to reuse species, just for variety's sake.

• Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, Failinhearts said:

If we follow Boom's interpretation, Eggman liked going through many rebuilds and tweaks. Like how he remade Cubot over and over until he had one that was at least marginally intelligent, he likely remade Orbot over and over until he had one that was at least partway respectful (or at least more subtle and self preserving in insulting him). It would likely also explain the more sophisticated voice chip.

If I remember correctly, weren't there several 'Ergos' in the background of the Unleashed cutscenes and Eggman was just talking to one of them?

5 hours ago, Monkey Destruction Switch said:

Three hedgehogs? Sonic, Shadow, Silver, Amy...seems like four to me ;)

I really don't think it means anything. I'm sure more of all those things exist in the Sonic universe, they just don't happen to be main characters.

From an out-of-universe perspective, Amy is probably a hedgehog to fit with the fact that the object of her affections is one (I mean, clearly it's not always necessary for the members of a couple to be the same species, but it's still sorta the most natural choice), Shadow is supposed to be a direct reflection of Sonic, and Silver was intended to be a mink but was changed because the other two main characters of '06 were hedgehogs. As for the fact that cats get two and other animals don't, I think it's probably meaningless. Blaze might have been a cat because they just fit the Sonic style so easily. (Though, you're technically forgetting about one cat: Honey! ;P) As a general rule, it's probably a good idea not to reuse species, just for variety's sake.

Technically, Shadow is a genetically engineered Black Arms alien who was designed to look like a Hedgehog! He is not natural-born, 100% Hedgehog. :P

And hey, Honey was scrapped from her original appearance and might as well just be considered a cameo of a character from another SEGA franchise even in the version of the game she was included in. :P

I doubt Shadow is completely alien but was made to look like a hedgehog. That makes no sense from a science perspective: Hedgehogs already exist, thus it would be much more sensible, if not the only possible way to achieve Gerald's goals, to augment the genetic makeup of an existing hedgehog with alien DNA than to ignore hedgehogs entirely and try to make alien DNA conform entirely to the physiology of a hedgehog. That and, well, his bios continue calling him a hedgehog and not an alien in the "species" parameter.

• Thumbs Up 2

42 minutes ago, Shade Vortex said:

Technically, Shadow is a genetically engineered Black Arms alien who was designed to look like a Hedgehog! He is not natural-born, 100% Hedgehog. :P

He's half alien, half hedgehog. The latter's even in the name. Being made in a tube doesn't make you any less of a species than someone home grown.

• Thumbs Up 1

While the prevalence of hedgehogs in the series is clearly based on Sonic's narrative importance, I think that there being two or three cats is sheer coincidence, since none of them have anything to do with each other.  Sonic Team otherwise tries to use new animals each time they create a new character.

Regarding the question about the Werehog requiring countless blows to beat enemies Sonic defeats easily... well, if I'm honest, I have the same problem with a lot of combat-based gameplay, where you're clearly meant to feel powerful but everything takes ages to kill rather than there just being lots and lots of easy-to-kill enemies.

• Thumbs Up 2

4 hours ago, FFWF said:

Regarding the question about the Werehog requiring countless blows to beat enemies Sonic defeats easily... well, if I'm honest, I have the same problem with a lot of combat-based gameplay, where you're clearly meant to feel powerful but everything takes ages to kill rather than there just being lots and lots of easy-to-kill enemies.

Well it really wouldn't be much of a combat game without the extensive use of combat.

• Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, Azul said:

He's half alien, half hedgehog. The latter's even in the name. Being made in a tube doesn't make you any less of a species than someone home grown.

I was just poking some fun due to my own mistake, but it is true that unlike the other Hedgehogs I counted, he''s not 100% Hedgehog. But it's true, he's officially classified as one. I'm not sure why this is important enough to keep going as a discussion though, I wasn't being 100% serious. I figured the emotes would make that obvious.

But I do wonder if we're ever gonna see more members of the other characters' species. I understand the need for variety, but when they've repeated the use of the main characters' species so much it just becomes contradictory and even more baffling. It's like how in DBZ there's basically a higher ratio of Saiyan main characters than Human ones by the end of the series, despite Saiyans being nearly extinct before- though to be fair most of the new Saiyans are children of the two surviving ones.

1 hour ago, Shade Vortex said:

I was just poking some fun due to my own mistake, but it is true that unlike the other Hedgehogs I counted, he''s not 100% Hedgehog. But it's true, he's officially classified as one. I'm not sure why this is important enough to keep going as a discussion though, I wasn't being 100% serious. I figured the emotes would make that obvious.

I'm not sure why you singled me out even though I wasn't the first or the only one to respond to that reply as if it were a serious notion.

So was the Emerald radar always a thing? I heard no mention of it pre-Sonic Riders. So how did they always track them down before? Did they just intrinsintly know where to find them? And if so, wouldn't that defeat the purpose of the radar in the first place? What is plot holes even?

I don't even know how I "singled you out" by responding to your message, I did so because it was the most recent. I was pretty general about it, as I just said I wasn't sure why it was still being carried on. I'm not carrying this on further is my point. There's not much discussion to "whether Shadow is a Hedgehog or not", because he obviously is- but the further we go on about this the more off-topic it gets, so I'm done with this line of discussion.

Anyways, another question I'd have about the series is: How would Sonic have stopped Eggman's Colors scheme if it weren't for the really convenient robot-arm-breaking-the-cannon plot convenience? It kinda feels like they didn't actually think of a resolution to this and just decided to use that arm because they wrote themselves into a corner.

43 minutes ago, Azul said:

So was the Emerald radar always a thing? I heard no mention of it pre-Sonic Riders. So how did they always track them down before? Did they just intrinsintly know where to find them? And if so, wouldn't that defeat the purpose of the radar in the first place? What is plot holes even?

The Japanese Sonic 3 manual mentions Tails making one.

7 minutes ago, Shade Vortex said:

Anyways, another question I'd have about the series is: How would Sonic have stopped Eggman's Colors scheme if it weren't for the really convenient robot-arm-breaking-the-cannon plot convenience? It kinda feels like they didn't actually think of a resolution to this and just decided to use that arm because they wrote themselves into a corner.

He'd find it and smash it, same as he always does. I don't see any reason to assume they wrote themselves into a corner.

• Thumbs Up 1

14 hours ago, Meta77 said:

Ive always wondered will sega ever take some time and try to release the Sonic 3 soundtrack one day.

A good question to which there is currently no answer. Considering the number of soundtracks from previous games which were released for the 20th anniversary, it's pretty much a guarantee SEGA would have released Sonic 3's soundtrack at the time if they could have, and the 25th anniversary would be another appropriate opportunity to do so. However, with all the legal stuff which has been going on regarding the soundtrack, I think an official release is unlikely anytime soon.

That said, for all we know the issues regarding the music might now be resolved. So.........we'll just have to wait and see.

• 1 month later...

Bump.

I've been playing Sonic Adventure DX lately, and I don't quite get the timeline for the end of Sonic and Tails' stories. Which boss fight happens first, Egg Walker in Tails' story or Egg Viper in Sonic's? They split up after the Egg Carrier starts losing altitude, but then after both final bosses, Sonic and Tails meet up for their endings, and Eggman couldn't possibly be in two places at once. I'm led to think that while Sonic is dealing with Chaos 6, Tails and Eggman begin to have their final race in Speed Highway as both escaped first, but then after that Eggman goes back to Final Egg to regroup, because... reasons I guess? I don't get it.

4 hours ago, Semi-colon e said:

Bump.

I've been playing Sonic Adventure DX lately, and I don't quite get the timeline for the end of Sonic and Tails' stories. Which boss fight happens first, Egg Walker in Tails' story or Egg Viper in Sonic's? They split up after the Egg Carrier starts losing altitude, but then after both final bosses, Sonic and Tails meet up for their endings, and Eggman couldn't possibly be in two places at once. I'm led to think that while Sonic is dealing with Chaos 6, Tails and Eggman begin to have their final race in Speed Highway as both escaped first, but then after that Eggman goes back to Final Egg to regroup, because... reasons I guess? I don't get it.

After Eggy's ship crashes, he goes to Station Square, up to no good in the neighborhood only to be thwarted by Tails. Then Eggman makes his hasty escape to return to his secret lair like all evil mustached villains only to discover Sonic attacking it.

So Eggwalker first then Eggviper.  

• Thumbs Up 1

Makes sense to me. Makes Sonic's battle with Eggman seem not very climactic, though, especially as Tails had the climactic (but easier) battle.