Person

Your Unanswered Sonic Questions

17 minutes ago, BaronGrackle said:

Non-mammals like Vector and Espio. But I guess even Charmy has that muzzle. Huh.

Espio does as well.

Vector might be the closest to an exception, if only partially.

1 hour ago, DabigRG said:

Can someone explain what the heck this is?

tumblr_inline_otcwmad8y01t5bt62_540.png

That's a Hunger Games simulator. Put random character names and pics to simulate the Hunger Games.

Do you believe Jet, Storm, or at the very least Wave can naturally fly? 

I don’t believe anything of the sort has ever been implied. Though being birds and supposed wind masters you’d think they might be able to.

1 hour ago, Strong Guy said:

Do you believe Jet, Storm, or at the very least Wave can naturally fly? 

I don’t believe anything of the sort has ever been implied. Though being birds and supposed wind masters you’d think they might be able to.

I would assume Wave and maybe Storm are technically capable of doing it if they tried to.

With that said, I do think it would be a really interesting touch if it turned out at least Jet can't.

Re: The Sonic 3 discussion a few pages back, the way I rationalize it is this: The scene from the Japanese manual where the Emeralds disappear from the altar takes place prior to Sonic 2. They had transferred from South Island/somewhere else back to Angel Island, but then disappeared to West Side for some reason unbeknownst to Knuckles, who was unconscious for the duration of that game. Then when Eggman arrives on the Death Egg he tells Knuckles about Sonic and Tails, Knuckles steals the Emeralds from Sonic who still had them from 2, Knuckles hides them in the special stages, etc. Since Angel Island and West Side's backstory are identical, I think Angel Island was originally a part of West Side before the gods separated it and sent it into the sky.

But yeah, I've been delving into the early Sonic lore and one of the things I immediately wondered was whether or not there are multiple sets of Emeralds. It would be nice if there could be a set local to South Island and then a separate Angel/West Side set, but maybe it's cleaner if there's just one. I think they should have stuck with Sega America's original backstory of Robotnik having six Emeralds in his machine to defeat evil and trying to find a seventh gray Emerald. Sonic 1 should have had all colored Emeralds instead of the white/gray one and then the gray one should have debuted in Sonic 2. Also, I've read that Princess Elise had a Chaos Emerald when she was a child? Possible she lost it while vacationing on West Side and that's what drew the other six Emeralds there?

Since South Island supposedly floats along the ocean and distorts its location, my theory is that some locations on Mobius act as "magnets" to the Chaos Emeralds, and whenever South Island passes by, the Emeralds are drawn there. This can explain why the Emeralds show up randomly on Cocoa Island, Mt. Mobius, West Side, etc. And then when someone reunites them and uses their power, they return to South Island. It's kind of problematic though because in Sonic Chaos, South Island begins to sink into the ocean when the Chaos Emeralds disappear, so why wouldn't it do that every time? Well, we're told that Robotnik has his hands on the red Emerald, causing the others to go out of balance. Perhaps when this happens, it can wreak havoc on the location where the Emeralds are, but when they travel peacefully as a group, they do not disturb the terrain like this.

Also, I prefer to place a long gap between Sonic meeting Tails and the events of Sonic 2. There are just way too many games that have Sonic and Tails together but don't reference the Death Egg saga or Knuckles at all and have very primitive plots compared to a floating battle station in space. Plus I like to follow the robot Sonic continuity from the most primitive one to the most advanced. Silver Sonic from Sonic 2 Game Gear, Robo Sonic from Sonic 2 Genesis, Mecha Sonic, and finally Metal Sonic (this is why I put CD after Death Egg.)

3 hours ago, Tiptup Jr. said:

Re: The Sonic 3 discussion a few pages back, the way I rationalize it is this: The scene from the Japanese manual where the Emeralds disappear from the altar takes place prior to Sonic 2. They had transferred from South Island/somewhere else back to Angel Island, but then disappeared to West Side for some reason unbeknownst to Knuckles, who was unconscious for the duration of that game. Then when Eggman arrives on the Death Egg he tells Knuckles about Sonic and Tails, Knuckles steals the Emeralds from Sonic who still had them from 2, Knuckles hides them in the special stages, etc. Since Angel Island and West Side's backstory are identical, I think Angel Island was originally a part of West Side before the gods separated it and sent it into the sky.

But yeah, I've been delving into the early Sonic lore and one of the things I immediately wondered was whether or not there are multiple sets of Emeralds. It would be nice if there could be a set local to South Island and then a separate Angel/West Side set, but maybe it's cleaner if there's just one. I think they should have stuck with Sega America's original backstory of Robotnik having six Emeralds in his machine to defeat evil and trying to find a seventh gray Emerald. Sonic 1 should have had all colored Emeralds instead of the white/gray one and then the gray one should have debuted in Sonic 2. Also, I've read that Princess Elise had a Chaos Emerald when she was a child? Possible she lost it while vacationing on West Side and that's what drew the other six Emeralds there?

Since South Island supposedly floats along the ocean and distorts its location, my theory is that some locations on Mobius act as "magnets" to the Chaos Emeralds, and whenever South Island passes by, the Emeralds are drawn there. This can explain why the Emeralds show up randomly on Cocoa Island, Mt. Mobius, West Side, etc. And then when someone reunites them and uses their power, they return to South Island. It's kind of problematic though because in Sonic Chaos, South Island begins to sink into the ocean when the Chaos Emeralds disappear, so why wouldn't it do that every time? Well, we're told that Robotnik has his hands on the red Emerald, causing the others to go out of balance. Perhaps when this happens, it can wreak havoc on the location where the Emeralds are, but when they travel peacefully as a group, they do not disturb the terrain like this.

Also, I prefer to place a long gap between Sonic meeting Tails and the events of Sonic 2. There are just way too many games that have Sonic and Tails together but don't reference the Death Egg saga or Knuckles at all and have very primitive plots compared to a floating battle station in space. Plus I like to follow the robot Sonic continuity from the most primitive one to the most advanced. Silver Sonic from Sonic 2 Game Gear, Robo Sonic from Sonic 2 Genesis, Mecha Sonic, and finally Metal Sonic (this is why I put CD after Death Egg.)

Ya know, in Sonic Chronicles, Mystic Ruins seems to be part of Westside Island, too. 

On 5/9/2019 at 10:34 AM, Tiptup Jr. said:

Plus I like to follow the robot Sonic continuity from the most primitive one to the most advanced. Silver Sonic from Sonic 2 Game Gear, Robo Sonic from Sonic 2 Genesis, Mecha Sonic, and finally Metal Sonic (this is why I put CD after Death Egg.)

I wouldn't necessarily place game order on Sonic-robot advancement.

1) Technology doesn't always go straight forward. Maybe Metal Sonic is like a flip phone... temporarily phased out, but clearly superior to later styles.

2) Or, you might be underestimating Mecha Sonic. That machine could pilot eggmobiles, and it had a super form. Metal Sonic in Sonic CD was designed to beat Sonic in a race - we never even saw if it could spinattack until later games.

3) All of those robot Sonics might be the same A.I. transferred to new bodies. I like to think this. It gives Metal Sonic more of a classic era resume.

Was Silver originally intended to be Shadow & Rouge's future child in 06? Or Sonic & Amy's?

I don't think Sonic Team considers him the future child of either character nowadays given all the changes in the series since then, (and how he seems pretty chummy with Sonic now) but I think the original intention of his character when he debuted in 06 was to hint at him possibly being Sonic or Shadow's future son, but they wanted to leave it ambigous, without blatantly telling the player. 

Or maybe I'm just crazy and looking way too deep into things.

Something I wonder is if when Sonic Team redesigned classic era characters (Eggman, Amy, Chaotix), were there concept sketches with alternate design before settling with the final ones used for the modern era?

1 hour ago, Myst said:

Was Silver originally intended to be Shadow & Rouge's future child in 06? Or Sonic & Amy's?

I don't think Sonic Team considers him the future child of either character nowadays given all the changes in the series since then, (and how he seems pretty chummy with Sonic now) but I think the original intention of his character when he debuted in 06 was to hint at him possibly being Sonic or Shadow's future son, but they wanted to leave it ambigous, without blatantly telling the player. 

Or maybe I'm just crazy and looking way too deep into things.

Silver's time is like 200 years ahead of Sonic's so if he's anyone's descendant he's further removed than parent and child. But I don't think there's been any evidence that he's related to anyone important anyway.

3 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

Silver's time is like 200 years ahead of Sonic's so if he's anyone's descendant he's further removed than parent and child. But I don't think there's been any evidence that he's related to anyone important anyway.

Ah, ok. Thanks for clearing that up. I thought Silver's timeline was somewhere 20-30 years in the future.

37 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

Welll, there's Shadow's immortality.

4 minutes ago, Razule said:

Welll, there's Shadow's immortality.

Eh, fair. But he's supposed to be crucified in cyberjail in '06's future so I'm gonna say he never had the time to do the nasty.

10 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

Eh, fair. But he's supposed to be crucified in cyberjail in '06's future so I'm gonna say he never had the time to do the nasty.

Yeah, that nails a coffin in that theory if he was locked up shortly after Iblis was released.

Okay,  so I was doing some research into Sonic Team's production of the games before Forces and discovered something: Lost World, which was said to be written by Ken Pontac and Warren Graff, also lists a Harumasa Nakajima for the story on the wiki. Who is he and what would he have done for the story? 

This applies to Colors as well, which cites Yasushi Otake. 

12 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Okay,  so I was doing some research into Sonic Team's production of the games before Forces and discovered something: Lost World, which was said to be written by Ken Pontac and Warren Graff, also lists a Harumasa Nakajima for the story on the wiki. Who is he and what would he have done for the story? 

This applies to Colors as well, which cites Yasushi Otake. 

The Japanese versions.

28 minutes ago, Razule said:

The Japanese versions.

Hm...I suppose that makes sense. 

Unfortunately, I also looked into Generations afterwards and discovered that they apparently did the whole kit and kaboodle there. 

So...what the fuck? 

What do people think of Void? With a lot of opinions being tossed around regarding different characters, stories, and styles, he's one of the few things that tends to be omitted.

On 5/17/2019 at 2:17 AM, DabigRG said:

Was Tails familiar with Professor Pickle before Unleashed or did he just recently meet him?

This isn't really unanswered. It's all but out-right started that Tails and Pickle are friends or acquaintances in Unleashed. Tails specifically has the line "it's good to see you haven't changed", and Pickle obviously recognises Tails when he goes on a rant about cucumber sandwiches. This is all in Pickle's first scene. The two know each other, and as a result Tails is right in thinking that he'll be very well-informed about the state of affairs.

Is something that I really appreciated in the game actually. Pickle could easily have been an unknown character to Tails that they just happened to rescue on their search for Eggman and answers. But that teeny tiny bit of world building makes so much sense and feels natural. Of course Tails is going to know who Professor Pickle is; and I how that he gets another appearance or Kenyon in the future. He was a fun character and felt like he served a purpose.