Awoo.

Your Unanswered Sonic Questions

Person

4 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Okay, now the one near the bottom left.

Lupe Wolf. 

14 minutes ago, Miragnarok said:

Lupe Wolf. 

...Huh. Never would've gotten that, actually.

Thanks!

1 hour ago, DabigRG said:

What is Omochao's gender?

Omochao is a Robot made by Gerald Robotnik, so he (I just call him this out of convenience) doesn't have a Gender. Also, Chao are themselves technically both/neither gender, considering that any Chao can mate with any Chao and lay eggs together.

My question: If Eggman really is from the Human world and Sonic's from "Sonic's world", as SEGA seems insistent on, why do the two keep moving between the worlds so frequently? You'd think Eggman would normally have free reign over the Human world, and Sonic would have his hands full protecting his own world.

11 minutes ago, Shade Vortex said:

Omochao is a Robot made by Gerald Robotnik, so he (I just call him this out of convenience) doesn't have a Gender. Also, Chao are themselves technically both/neither gender, considering that any Chao can mate with any Chao and lay eggs together.

Huh. Fair point.

Completely forgot about that, actually.

12 minutes ago, Shade Vortex said:

My question: If Eggman really is from the Human world and Sonic's from "Sonic's world", as SEGA seems insistent on, why do the two keep moving between the worlds so frequently? You'd think Eggman would normally have free reign over the Human world, and Sonic would have his hands full protecting his own world.

The take I get on it is that the animal world is open enough that Eggman can just swoop into any given area and begin his research & conquest there with plenty breathing room.

Meanwhile, the human world is less easy to take over with GUN flying around the United Nations. Not that it stops him from trying from time to time, hence the emphasis on not-so-secret bases there compared to the Archipelago.

Also, Sonic travels all over anyway, so hopping between the two worlds isn't that unreasonable.

• Nice Smile 1

4 hours ago, Shade Vortex said:

Are there any games that have human NPC civilians and anthro NPC civilians together? Otherwise, you have huge time periods in the anthro world and huge time periods in the human world.

Special note goes to Angel Island, which seems to have hints of both (e.g. artwork of humans in the Sandopolis pyramid).

4 minutes ago, BaronGrackle said:

Are there any games that have human NPC civilians and anthro NPC civilians together? Otherwise, you have huge time periods in the anthro world and huge time periods in the human world.

Special note goes to Angel Island, which seems to have hints of both (e.g. artwork of humans in the Sandopolis pyramid).

Forces is the first time there've been explicit Mobian citizens, so that's a pretty good no.

1 hour ago, DabigRG said:

Forces is the first time there've been explicit Mobian citizens, so that's a pretty good no.

I guess we never saw the commonfolk until Sonic Adventure. But I always figured they were animal worlds because, out of all the existing characters, Robotnik was the only human. (I never knew about Witchcart.)

(Also I never knew Robotnik wore glasses. There were two dots for his eyes.)

The TV shows reinforced these assumptions, methinks.

1 hour ago, BaronGrackle said:

I guess we never saw the commonfolk until Sonic Adventure. But I always figured they were animal worlds because, out of all the existing characters, Robotnik was the only human. (I never knew about Witchcart.)

(Also I never knew Robotnik wore glasses. There were two dots for his eyes.)

The TV shows reinforced these assumptions, methinks.

My first experience with the franchise was Sonic X and then Heroes, but regardless, I don't think I gave it much thought and just assumed both existed on the same world.

Why are they called Team Chaotix? In universe, I mean.

1 hour ago, Splash the Otter said:

Not an official answer, but the terms "chaos" and "chao" get used a lot. Knuckles Chaotix involved the Chaos Emeralds and their Master Emerald, and there's also a "Chaos Ring" according to the Japanese manual.

1 hour ago, Splash the Otter said:

Technically, they are the Chaotix Detective Agency, but Team Chaotix is shorter and to the point.

On 5/31/2019 at 5:27 PM, DabigRG said:

Forces is the first time there've been explicit Mobian citizens,

*cough* Sonic Rush Adventure *cough*

*hack* Sonic Advance 2 *hack*

*wheeze* Sonic Chronicles *wheeze*

*choke* Sonic Adventure *choke*

*gasp* Sonic Boom Rise of Lyric *gasp*

11 minutes ago, Sega DogTagz said:

Boom is a separate universe comprosed almost entirely of Mobians. And I admittedly wasn't thinking of the Sol Dimension since it's not apart of that reveal.

Were there in the other games though? I thought the only ones in Advance 2 were the playable ones and Vanilla?

13 minutes ago, Sega DogTagz said:

Technically we've never seen Mobians. There's no Mobius

• Thumbs Up 1

11 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Boom is a separate universe comprosed almost entirely of Mobians. And I admittedly wasn't thinking of the Sol Dimension since it's not apart of that reveal.

Were there in the other games though? I thought the only ones in Advance 2 were the playable ones and Vanilla?

There were the echidnas in the flashbacks in SA1. Chronicles also has echidnas, and in the present day too!

Can't think of anything in Advance 2, unless Vanilla counts.

I would call Vanilla a civilian. Cream only dodges that distinction because she's playable.

But yeah, Rush Adventure has quite large populous of fuzzies. Marine, the coconut crew and the Vikings all come to mind. The echidna clan in the SA1 flash backs inhabit the same world as the humans in the present day. Chronicles features the Nocturnous clan, and a few pirate Echidna's too and of course Boom is primarily populated with fuzzies.

In SA1 and Chronicles, there are humans and mobians hanging around in the same game. (ignoring Eggman and Nega of course)

1 minute ago, Celestia said:

There were the echidnas in the flashbacks in SA1. Chronicles also has echidnas, and in the present day too!

And that's the thing. For years, SEGA constantly introduced new (playable) characters, and ALL of them were anthros. Turn on any Sonic TV show from the '90s, and it's an anthro world.

Things started shifting with the OVA and Sonic Adventure. I'm pretty sure Sonic X invented the "two worlds" formula to explain how Sonic never had a consistent setting.

21 minutes ago, Celestia said:

Ah, so that technically. Alright then. 

52 minutes ago, Razule said:

Technically we've never seen Mobians. There's no Mobius

Social media has mentioned it. And some Japanese manuals. Albeit, we know it’s not where the characters live, so who knows what Mobians look like? 

• Chuckle 1

One of the things that does legitimately confuse me is how things that are obvious or set-up to be a certain way are so easily changed at the drop of a hat without recognition for the confusion that doing so would cause. I kind of lump all of the examples together from something as minor as "the Wisps stayed behind on Sonic's planet because they liked it there despite never setting foot on the planet in Colors" to major ones like "Classic Sonic is now from another dimension" and "Some of Sonic's games took place in a dimension where humans are instead of the much simpler explanation of the two species co-existing".

Now, it's easy for someone to look at this and respond by saying that they don't care but, that's where I get tripped up. These decisions to constantly fuck around with the status quo of the world and it's lore don't make sense as the actions of someone who doesn't care. 

I do think Iizuka and the people over there care about this stuff.

Even the recent interview about Team Sonic Racing seemed to suggest that the inclusion of Dodon-Pa was done for the sake of expanding upon the mythos of Sonic's universe and how far-reaching it could be. The introduction of this king who's super rich and owns a company in space that farms out technology to planet's the galaxy over was something done to build upon the structure of the universe. Yet at the same time it's also the same game where Zavok returns and is, with no explanation, suddenly and willingly, doing Eggman's bidding as though what was established before no longer matters.

They clearly like setting things up and introducing new things but as they carry forward, other things they set up before are either forgotten or retooled. It's like an artist who's never satisfied with his work but instead of holding it back, he releases it to the public and then changes it while it's already out there and hopes that the general public can somehow unattach themselves from the thing they saw before.

Am I saying that Sonic Team are pulling a George Lucas? 

...Probably?

• Nice Smile 1
  • Fist Bump 1

On 5/31/2019 at 12:40 PM, Shade Vortex said:

Omochao is a Robot made by Gerald Robotnik...

No he wasn't...

How are the little animals inside badniks able to survive?

The E-series robots each have animals inside them that would’ve been stuck in there for days on end.