Awoo.

What game are you currently playing?

HelenBaby

Decided to play Killzone HD after a good long think. Yeah, I play and have a lot of games. All I can say that it is a competently made game but not very fun to play. Looks decently enough, runs smoothly with only one little bit of slowdown on one level so far, much better aiming than Killzone 2 [that one was awful and very off] but shooting the Helgast just doesn't feel exciting to do, not much of a story (I've predicted who the main bad guy is and it's NOT the Helgast) and spend half the time running around empty corridors or scenery that looks the same. Plus it had an annoying stutter when something new was loading (e.g. voice sample, more enemies). Luckily it is half way done so it should be done within the next couple of days (maybe even tonight).

Saying that I was actually impressed with the fire and smoke effects, they look good and run smoothly too (I imagine on the PS2, it would have ran awfully). Another weird thing is that checking trophies in this game is actually faster and smoother than checking them via the OS, the game must use very little memory for that to happen.

Titanfall 2.

This game is dangerously underrated, and is THE hidden gem of last year.

Colony Reborn update is nice, getting used to new guns and tacticals (the Wingman is the shittiest video game revolver ever made, worse than the R8 in CS:GO. But dat EPG is fire), getting used to new Titans (Northstar is such high skill, Tone is such low skill), and I'm just having the time of my life.

It'd be a pleasure if I could introduce SSMB to the game.

I struggled with Killzone (that swamp) so I've played and just finished GUN on the 360. It was pretty much Red Dead Redemption before that game but muuuch smaller and was still in the Wild West era rather than the last years of the West. Even had a couple of similarities such as having Poker and Herding (same mechanics for the latter). Wouldn't be surprised if Rockstar San Diego played that game and thought that they could do their own take on it. I actually enjoyed it apart from the last level however it wasn't large enough to affect my enjoyment of the game.

After GUN finished, hopped on to Blur. You know that game people often said that it was Mario Kart but with real cars?

It was more like Juiced 2 with power ups and I felt pretty meh towards that game. Graphics look good but there are just too many issues for me. The AI often grab the powerups just before you so often you have an unfair disadvantage, many of the cars have problems even going around the corner as well as poor car balance [why are there slow Land Rovers when there are 20 cars in a race and a fast car can beat a strong one or a well handed one]. I don't know why games had to have Fords in them if they are so poor to steer (the big issue with Fast & Furious Showdown actually since that suffered from the exact same problem as this game), must be cheap to license. Then there's the fan business, I know Bizarre Creations wanted a Kudos like system for this game and that's fine however it ends up being a mess with just too many goals to funfill, again flashbacks to Juiced 2. It just doesn't know whether it wanted to be like Project Gotham Racing or an arcade styled racer. Oh and no in game music? I was a bit disappointed actually since the genre is one of my favourites and from what I read the game would have fitted well with my likes. Honestly I found Split/Second to be the better game and found that much more fun out of the two racing games that came out roughly the same time. Funnily enough, both had sequels planned but both studios closed shortly after and that little GIF of Blur 2 looked like an improvement too.

The JRPG I've waited years for.

A1m0p6BuaPL._SL1500_.jpg

It's brilliant. Simply brilliant!

Just beat the 3rd dungeon and man oh man. Get this game! 

• 2 weeks later...

Rented the PS4 remaster of Resident Evil 4 (no, sorry, 4 Resident Evil). Pretty fun so far.

I've never played RE 4, or any RE game, for that matter, prior to this. So essentially, this remaster is my first experience with it. It seems fun so far. I'll see what I can get out of my rental period before making any verdict.

Can't speak for the porting job, though; I can only judge this version on its own merits. It shows an obvious upgrade over what I saw in past versions, though.

• Thumbs Up 1

Replaying the original Donkey Kong Country trilogy for the first time in years. About halfway through 2. Still my favorite game of all time. The gameplay, the story (light though it may be), the music...every single thing about it is a masterpiece of game design. I wish it wouldn't end.

Playing several fangames of OFF, by Mortis Ghost.

It's a surreal game with horror elements and the occasional odd, dark humor.

Breath of the Wild, surely as many others are doing so. Taking my sweet sweet time, I already like it better than Skyrim.

Almost done 100%-ing this game.

latest?cb=20161025172402

Aside from some gripes with this new more tactical battle system, I had more or less a fun time with this game. It's surprisingly short compared to how long it took for me to platinum Neptunia mk2, Megatagmension Blanc or Neptunia U but that's probably also because I got the DLC to significantly reduce grinding.

But if there's one thing I hate... I absolutely DESPISE... it's the baseball hunting. My feelings behind it can be summed up with this one video.

So, here's the thing. In every dungeon, there's a baseball hidden in each one. Some missable, which requires multiple playthroughs of the story. It wouldn't be so bad since the story is short and can be mowed through in about an hour or so with a fully maxed out team of Goddesses or Sega Hard Girls, but the problem is... THE GAME WON'T TELL YOU WHICH DUNGEON YOU GOT THE BASEBALL FOR.

As such, I have no choice but to search dungeons for minutes upon minutes on end before realizing I already got the baseball for that area already... meaning I just wasted my fucking time. I have 38 baseballs out of 42... and I'm still hunting for them to this day. It's the last thing I need to do.

So yeah. Fun game, questionable battle mechanics... and the worst hunt ever.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just started Mario Kart 8 Deluxe today, Finished all of 50cc, Moving on to 100cc now.

Also doing a Nuzlocke of Pokemon X.

WWE 2K17

You people REALLY want to know about failing franchises? This game, this Series, has not been the same for the past 10 years. The controls used to be simple and it used to be fun. Now it's so complicated and the people are so cheap online, you might as well buy a game called Rapefest. They're more collectors items now

Finished Shovel Knight and it is as good as other people say. It has a strong Capcom vibe (DuckTales, Mega Man) with hints of Darius and Castlevania, liked the characters as well as most of the levels and bosses including Kratos (played the PS3 version with him in it). It's very lucky that it has infinite lives otherwise I wouldn't have gotten far considering the NES roots of the game and a few parts were indeed tricky. I did find it weird that it seems from the credits that it is a Wayforward game (thankfully with better controls and slightly better collision detection) and one of the few times that I saw Nintendo and Microsoft credited on a Sony system. Sorry it took me about a year to get around to play on it. I wouldn't mind playing a sequel in the future.

Now that Shovel Knight is done and away from my consoles, I've decided to play on my PSP (do have a large PSP collection). Right now, its Asphalt Urban GT 2. I'm enjoying the game and I miss playing this genre, even like that you can do takedowns. Surprised that it has licensed cars too considering that it seems like a low budget game.

I do think why the game got flack back in the day was because there was so much competition with arcade styled racing games even on the PSP what with Burnout in its prime, OutRun 2006, when Need for Speed was at its most popular, games that were influenced by The Fast & The Furious and this series wasn't really strong enough. Funnily enough, the series is one of the few that is still around today while the others are forgotten or even mobile only itself like Need for Speed.

A number of them (now I'm wondering why I can't just stick with a game through completion before moving onto another):

Transformers: Fall of Cybertron (got it off a flash sale and played WFC so this was a no brainier )

Gravity Rush Remastered: oh my God this game is fun. The mechanic of free roaming gravity control has it's bit of issues but it's not too much of a distraction when it's so damn fun to traverse the game world. 

Horizon Zero Dawn: after letting it sit in it's packaging for like a month I finally got around to it

resident evil 0

I'm liking it so far, thats all I have to say

I've been playing Heroes of the Storm 2.0.

It's a MOBA by Blizzard Entertainment that uses Blizzard property, like Warcraft, Starcraft, Diablo and Overwatch.

At first, I played it for the Nexus Challenge, but then...

I started to enjoy the game. I have never played a MOBA, but this was a dang good one. It's a much more objective based MOBA, where you can complete (or HAVE to complete) objectives to get a shot at the enemy team's core while stopping the enemy team from doing the same. All maps have a different objective, and they're quite fun.

One map called Cursed Hallows (from Diablo, I assume) was fun, where you had to collect tributes around the map and stop the enemy team from doing the same. Once you get three tributes, the enemy team is cursed, causing their minions to have only 1hp, and their towers do not attack.

And their new map, Hanamura (from Overwatch), was fun too! Push your payload to a destination, and stop the enemy team from pushing theirs. Once your payload is delivered, you get a cannon that fires at the enemy's core! Then you have to push a payload again to keep firing.

I recommend it!

Dawn Of War 3 - enjoying it quite alot.

Pokemon HeartGold - started this last week, playing it slowly, now in third gym.

Pokemon Sun - trying to jump back into postgame stuff, which is super lackluster (otherwise, great game)

Sonic 3 and CD - preparing for Mania.

Majora's Mask - still haven't beaten this game, but love it a lot. Last temple and I'm close to the final, I guess.

I'm playing multiple games right now. In fact I should problem slow it down and focus on one at a time to clear out my backlog.

So for right now, I've been spending time with Persona 5, Disgaea 5, Valkyria Chronicles, and I need to get back to Breath of the Wild and Horizon Zero Dawn. I like all of those games so trying to focus on just one at a time can be pretty hard. The internal struggle of deciding what to play and then eventually not making a choice at all happens all too often. So, I'm probably just going to make a daily schedule for what game I'll play each day. It seems pretty stupid but I think it's the only way I'll actually come to close to beating any of these games.

Today I think I'll just play Breath of the Wild, because I've BARELY scratched the surface of that game.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally.  After around six months (with admittedly a few interruptions) and over a hundred and thirty hours, I've finally completed Dragon Quest VII 3D: Fragments Of The Forgotten Past, including all postgame material.  Wow.  Well, I got what I paid for, it certainly was a hundred-hour RPG, though that's not necessarily a good thing; it's probably best that I did interrupt my playthrough for a few other games, as anything of that length is bound to drag towards the end - and its very compartmentalised stop-and-go structure does make it especially suited for interruption now and again.

But to provide something of a review.  Graphically, it's a beautiful game; in fact, I am surprised whenever I look up screenshots or video of the original, as it looks amazingly dated, whereas the remake's graphics look so much more genuine, so much truer to the vision, as if the original was a sort of weird demake.  Storywise, it's a bit mixed, as a large part of the story is finding out just what the story is, and most of the story you experience is just one of a vast series of subplots, the minutiae and miniature adventures of each particular lost island.  That did make it a little more difficult to get invested, and worse, it meant that when the game finally went full-on into the metaplot in the lategame, it actually felt weirdly inappropriate for everything suddenly to be interconnected.  I think that if I had been working on this game, I might have taken a slightly different approach...  But I get what they were going for.  It was an interesting experiment, and I can see how it extends from the experimentation of the previous three DQ games (which I played as their DS remakes), and I can see that they were aiming for more of a kind of compilation title, like a storybook of many small adventures.  From that perspective, I can overlook the fact that the metaplot has some pretty conspicuous holes in it...

On the other hand, I can compliment the game's wonderful cast of characters, with Maribel as a particular highlight, which makes it all the more galling that she's dropped from the party for clearly arbitrary reasons for quite a long period towards the end - and in general, I found the last two characters to be less interesting than the original line-up.  But there's more to a game than its playable characters, and the game did an amazing job of making even generic NPCs recognisable and distinct within their particular town.

Gameplay-wise: It's Dragon Quest, so it's a classic RPG, and unfortunately it's a classic RPG in the grindier sense of things.  Not that you ever need to; the game is pretty good at keeping you at around the right sort of level.  But the class system is undeniably grinding-based, and with dozens of classes once you take into account monster classes, it's an awful life for the sort of completist who always feels compelled to finish what's in front of them (i.e. me).  I'm sure a significant fraction of my hundred-and-thirty-hour playthrough was spent running back and forth in Nailbiters' Nook slaughtering my way through countless inconsequential encounters.  Do you have to do it?  No... but when the game gives you all these monster hearts, it feels like a waste not to use them.  And by the end, you've gathered so many abilities it's difficult to even know which to use.  Another case, perhaps, of the game actually having too much content...

Oh well.  It's not the sort of game you really want to binge, but to play in small doses, and that is how I played it for the most part, so I don't have many regrets.  It was fun.  I'd definitely recommend it to anyone who likes this sort of thing, on the understanding that it's probably best not to binge it.

Now, what's next.  Well, I keep on hoping for it to be Shovel Knight: Spectre Of Torment, but the EU 3DS version has been in Nintendo lotcheck for ages now and Yacht Club Games is as much in the dark as the rest of us are on when we'll finally get to play it, so that will have to wait.  Which means it's straight onto my next big title, and it's time for something completely different: Dragon Quest VIII 3D gosh dang it why do I keep on putting myself through all these hundred-hour RPGS help.

• Thumbs Up 2

Continuing my Donkey Kong Countrython. Finished up Returns and got through the first world of Tropical Freeze tonight. Retro Studios is an amazing company. Donkey Kong Country 2 is still my favorite game of all time, but I'd have to say their Donkey Kong Country games are, objectively, even better. I REALLY hope we see a third entry for the Switch before they move back to Metroid or whatever.

• Thumbs Up 2

Gravity Rush Remastered.

This game is amazing. I'm finding the stpry to be enjoyable, and the gameplay is rather fun. As for the graphics? If I did not know better, I'd swear this was always a PS4 game. It's very fun, and I'm glad I imported the Asian-English release.

Though some of the battles are annoying; I'd hate to imagine what they were like on the Vita, since you had to use that touch screen; at least this version lets you use traditional controls.

I finished my replay of Super Metroid about a week ago, and let me just say this game has aged beautifully. 20 years later and it's still the king of Metroidvanias. I really do hope Nintendo brings back Metroid. At least the 2D ones, Ninty! But other than that I'm currently playing through Sonic Advance 2, Banjo Kazooie, and a gen 3 Pokemon ROM hack I picked up from Pokecommunity earlier today: Pokemon Team Rocket edition. It's pretty cool, the "steal Pokemon" gimmick is quite fun and I also like it's focus on story. Oh, and then there's the frequent Sm4sh/Smash Flash 2 session to pass time when I'm bored. SSB all the way! :D

I took a few days' break from DQVIII3D after realising, while watching raocow's LP of Shovel Knight: Plague Of Shadows, that I had never actually attempted the game's Challenge Mode!  I think possibly I had been midway through attempting some difficult Feat or other in the original when something else came along that I was keener on playing, so I clean forgot about the Challenges.  Having revisited them now, they really earned the name; some of them were quite brutal, though others weren't so bad.  It was a little disappointing to see that literally most of the challenges were boss rematches, even under more selective conditions, and I found that most of them got easier as they went on - but they were still worth the attempt.  My personal choice for the hardest might still be the very first one, though, with the flying rats; I simply didn't know what to expect.

Well, time for a few more days of DQVIII3D before the European release date for Spectre Of Torment is finally announced sometime this week...

• 2 weeks later...

Have been hopping along with a few games to clear my backlog a bit. Saying that my backlog is like a mountain and even had to rest my hands yesterday since they were aching.

Firstly it was Viking: Battle for Asgard. It was a decent game but it needed a lot more polish. Graphically it is okay but it was weird that there was no lip syncing on the few cutscenes. Story is just there. There were times when it wasn't fair such as enemies bum rushing, like when there's more than 3 enemies but you feel weak by comparison with your attacks even when you upgrade it only feels marginly better and the block doesn't always work that cost me some lost progress. There was a part of the game where I kept dying because the character decided to jump over a fence to his death even though I didn't want to. Best part of the game was BRIAN BLESSED's voice and recognised it straight away. The game is very crash prone and it was very annoying especially on the final part of the game where it kept crashing, would have enjoyed it more if it wasn't for that. It was lucky that the ending popped up considering that I read it crashes on that too.

Then it was Lost Planet. Sadly I couldn't get in to it and that might have to be traded in (strange how the PS3 version is worth more than the 360 version despite that the 360 Colonies version had more features). From what I played it's a 3rd person shooter but feels like something straight out of the PS2 era in terms of stiff controls and graphics outside of the snow and the main character. If it was more like Earth Defense Force (its closest comparison due to that both games you shoot bugs), I might have enjoyed it better. It is also obtuse with its map such as that the door on the other side didn't open, was looking for a way to progress but I died and it is all the way back to the beginning of the level. Saying that the Colonies version had a few tweaks so I might try that version in other time to see if it's any better.

Finally Rayman Legends and I'm enjoying it a little bit. Looks better than Origins (and that was lovely to look at) but still a nice little platformer that I can't complain about. It is also my penultimate platformer so I might as well enjoy it while it lasts...

I've been playing Zelda: Oracle of Ages. Aside from some gripes involving having to constantly switch items, I love it. The time mechanic is played with well and the dungeons really do a good job of testing the player.

• Thumbs Up 1