Awoo.

What game are you currently playing?

HelenBaby

I finally got round to buying the PS1 classic games on the PSP, called Crash Bandicoot. It feels strange playing it on a handheld, but that's one of the main reasons I got them, since I still own the PS1 originals. I could never get into the first CB, it's mostly the 2nd and 3rd I play on the most. I'll probably get the Kart Racing later, when I got some more money. It's still fun after all these years.

Oddly enough I'm playing a JRPG too, it's called Trinity Universe on the PS3.

Disgaea 4, thank goodness it's better than the the third one, which I never really got into. The characters in Disgaea 3 were just not very likeable imo.

I rediscovered my Gamecube earlier in the week, so I'm currently playing through franchise mode on NHL Hitz 2002. It's surprisingly good for a sports game. Then again, it WAS made by Midway....

• 2 weeks later...

I finally got around to playing Final Fantasy XIII. I'm only a couple of hours in, but honestly I'm not finding it that bad. It has some of the worst handling of exposition I've ever seen in a work of fiction and the battles can be total clusterfucks sometimes constantly, but the graphics are quite good, the characters are mostly tolerable* and the extreme linearity isn't bothering me too much. It's not great, but it's at least unique, and I've definitely played worse.

I'm also playing through Sonic Unleashed (HD) from scratch, which is more of a slog than I remember it being the first time around. Most of the issue is my OCD about talking to every single NPC as often as possible, but those Werehog stages ain't helping much either.

*How in the hell Vanille became the one character from this game that everyone hates confuses the hell out of me. Not because I can't understand why people wouldn't like her (although I don't mind her myself), but because Hope is so much worse. Cry moar, kid.

the extreme linearity isn't bothering me too much.

Eh, get to the tower level, it's so boring I actually stopped playing the game because of it.

Final-Fantasy-I-II.jpg

Going to try and play through the entire main-series of games, or at least, for as long as each game can hold my interest. Right now I'm playing through Final Fantasy I, and am in the Marsh Caves. Obviously I'll be playing the GBA ports for the first six games, then moving on to the rest.

For the record, the only FF game I've beaten is XIII. I'll probably lose my drive altogether, but eh, it's something to do and I feel I'll enjoy I-VI at least.

I'm playing Ms. Splosion Man to keep me busy until the Holidays come. I've finally beaten the game a few days and now I'm working on finding all the shoes and secret exits.

Duke Nukem Forever, Mortal Kombat Kollection and I just recently completed Wolfenstein, was disapointed on how short the campaign was.

Spent the last 10 hours (9pm-7am, thereabouts) palying with a friend on Sonic Adventure 2 and Sonic Heroes, with Sonic Gems as a little non-platforming break.S

SA2 is worse than I remember it, with the homing attack not working half the time, some very, VERY loose controls, a lot of lethal glitches, awful lip-synching in cutscenes and shit voice acting (No, I'm not usually so blunt as that, but I now hate the voice acting in SA2). I must be real lucky to have picked up both a Platinum AND regular copy of PS2 Heroes that both work absolutely fine with no detrimental glitches and fine controls. :/

...kind of a similar story here, actually. I'm nearly done my playthrough of Unleashed from scratch, and it really hasn't held up as well as I remembered. The werehog stages are a bit of a chore, of course, but my real problem is with the daytime stages: I know this is going to sound completely ass-backwards to some people, but they just aren't as fun to me as the stages in Colours. They're fast, pretty and they have more 3D platforming in them (and the drifting and quick step don't suck, of course), but they all feel very samey to me, and some of them really drag on for too long. The QTEs aren't too great either, although they actually haven't killed me very often.

Also of note: Dark Gaia is and always has been an atrocious boss. I hate the way the fight involves five different gameplay styles, two of which are completely new. I hate the way it goes back and forth between the Gaia Colossus and Sonic running, teasing you with twenty seconds of something decent only to shove you back into the boulder-punching robot twice more. I hate that if you get a game over, you're sent back to fight the Egg Dragoon again for some reason. Hate. Hate. The cutscenes are great and the Egg Dragoon itself is pretty good, but man. I just want to give the Nega Wisp Armour a great big hug for actually being playable, y'know?

Also, I'm still playing FFXIII and still mildly enjoying it. It kind of amuses me that by the beginning of the second disc nothing's really happened, the party's still super divided and Fang's still "Mysterious Woman". I've definitely had my fill of junkyard, at least.

Edited by Octarine

SA2 is worse than I remember it, with the homing attack not working half the time, some very, VERY loose controls, a lot of lethal glitches, awful lip-synching in cutscenes and shit voice acting (No, I'm not usually so blunt as that, but I now hate the voice acting in SA2). I must be real lucky to have picked up both a Platinum AND regular copy of PS2 Heroes that both work absolutely fine with no detrimental glitches and fine controls. :/

I was playing on SA2B, but it was on 60hz. :/

That point about lip-synching doesn't sit right with me for the sheer fact that Sonic Heroes had much better lip-synching, and it also doesn't excuse some of the ridiculous facial expressions that would look as such even synched to Japanese.

Switching to japanese voices also wouldn't work because it's not the voices I have an issue with, it is literally the voice acting. I'm sure some of these are great voices usually, but David Humphrey sounds bored when reading his lines, Corey sounds like he's reading off a sheet of paper very clearly at times, Lani Minella's diction for Rouge sounds jarring for some reason, the other voice cast have moments where their acting directions make them sound off...and, honestly, Japanese wouldn't help since I can't be certain if the tone is correct or not given that it's an entirely different language which I don't speak.

Although on that other subject, I'd personally disagree and say that Unleashed has held up better than Colours,

Derpity doo, I hate looking like a negative nancy. :<

I was playing on SA2B, but it was on 60hz. :/

That point about lip-synching doesn't sit right with me for the sheer fact that Sonic Heroes had much better lip-synching, and it also doesn't excuse some of the ridiculous facial expressions that would look as such even synched to Japanese.

Switching to japanese voices also wouldn't work because it's not the voices I have an issue with, it is literally the voice acting. I'm sure some of these are great voices usually, but David Humphrey sounds bored when reading his lines, Corey sounds like he's reading off a sheet of paper very clearly at times, Lani Minella's diction for Rouge sounds jarring for some reason, the other voice cast have moments where their acting directions make them sound off...and, honestly, Japanese wouldn't help since I can't be certain if the tone is correct or not given that it's an entirely different language which I don't speak.

Although on that other subject, I'd personally disagree and say that Unleashed has held up better than Colours,

Derpity doo, I hate looking like a negative nancy. :<

I'm in the same boat as you somewhat, I wouldn't turn it to japanese, 1. I cant F*****g understand the language, 2. I wouldn't beable to tell if they were doing good voice acting, 3. Just because a majority prefer japanese for some odd reason beyond me, doesn't I will (same goes for Sonic CD's Japanese soundtrack, as I'm always behind the Western). There's literally nothing Interesting about a japanese Sonic for me. Also 4. the faces the characters make although most being funny, are quite bizarre, moreso in Sonic Adventure.

Completed Duke Nukem Forever now, was quite an enjoyable game, lengthy too :D Just how an FPS should be, lengthy campaign, online multiplayer for if you want something to do after your done

I'm in the same boat as you somewhat, I wouldn't turn it to japanese, 1. I cant F*****g understand the language, 2. I wouldn't beable to tell if they were doing good voice acting, 3. Just because a majority prefer japanese for some odd reason beyond me, doesn't I will (same goes for Sonic CD's Japanese soundtrack, as I'm always behind the Western). There's literally nothing Interesting about a japanese Sonic for me. Also 4. the faces the characters make although most being funny, are quite bizarre, moreso in Sonic Adventure.

I'm pretty sure it's easy to tell if someone's doing a dodgy, off performance or genuinely sounds like they're taking the role seriously, regardless of what language they're speaking.
  • Thumbs Up 1