Awoo.

What game are you currently playing?

HelenBaby

Just finished Arkham Asylum, and waiting for Arkham City to get here :). Amazing game.

Batman: Arkham City. All day, everyday. Shame on you if don't have this game, it's amazing.

Oh yeah, I tried Battlefield 3's multiplayer with one of the 7 two-day trials I have stored in my Portal 2 box. I discovered I'm awful at it and went back to Batman.

• 2 weeks later...

So after procrastination and a couple of other games getting in the way, I've finally gotten around to finishing Final Fantasy XIII.

Nothing happened in this game until the last ten minutes, and none of the things that happened in those ten minutes made any sense. Barthandelus was a terrible villain (and silly-looking enough in his human form to put Kuja to shame), the plot was stretched impossibly thin, there was way too much nonsense jargon, the exposition was delivered through piles of text instead of naturally through dialogue, the main characters were just barely tolerable, the visuals were boring half the time and ludicrously cluttered the other half, the soundtrack was decent but didn't contain nearly enough songs to stay fresh for the game's whole length... but I have a hard time saying that I really disliked the game particularly. It was bad, but it was a very benign kind of bad; not really worth the effort of being angry with. I'm even kind of looking forward to the sequel, against my better judgment.

Seriously, though, why was Lightning the main character when the entire goddamn story was about Fang? Was she not scowly enough?

I've still got a craving for JRPG, though, so I'm going to start Resonance of Fate next. The more strategic focus should be a nice change of pace from FFXIII's auto-battle, and I'm looking forward to, y'know, towns and sidequests and stuff.

• 4 weeks later...

Even more Heroes over Europe, now with the Spitfire Mk XIV and P-51H Mustang. The Spitfire has godly agility and epic guns, but I prefer the Mustang. Why?

Fucking rockets, that's why. I discovered aeons ago that you can actually blow up fighters and bombers and stuff with the rockets in that game. I never looked back.

You can even hit bombers. With bombs. And the tier 4 P-51H has bombs. And rockets. :D

Edited by Axl the Electric Reindeer

I'm currently addicted to Assassin's Creed Revelations on the 360.

Playing multiplayer mode and getting annoyed with teammates in Artifact Assault that do nothing but stand around. Then doing really well but to just be randomly kicked out of the session for unknown technical reasons, as there's only minutes left in the match.

Once I get tired of swearing, I play Sega Megadrive Collection, also on the 360 and play some columns which is nice and relaxing, until it speeds up. Then some Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine, for nostalgia purposes, and to get a good look at the characters, as I've been drawing them recently for one of my projects.

Currently running away from this alpha dragon in Skyrim on the PS3. The damn thing is hunting me to the ends of the earth and back, and I can't fucking loose it.

Borderlands, i'm getting a little bored though, trying to collect certain items in the ClapTraps revenge DLC but for some, the drop rate is horrible, mainly pizza slices, I only ever find 1 in a blue moon and theres no way to see how many you have, you just have to count in your head and hope the game is saving each one.

With a little bit of Voltron: Defenders of the Universe, mainly saving civilians to reach 100 for the achievement, can't do the live achievements for lack of live.

Been playing Killing Floor. A friend gifted me a copy last night, and I am loving this game so far. Also been playing a little DC Universe Online.

Mostly been playing Skyrim, along side DC Universe. Maybe a little gears of War here and there, but mainly focusing on the first two to bide my time till TOR comes out.

I just finished replaying Mass Effect, since I only just got around to picking up ME2 and it's been ages since I played it originally. I feel pretty much the same way about it now that I did then; it's definitely a pretty good game, but it's not really my thing. The gameplay just isn't varied enough to maintain my interest for the game's entire length, the conversation system feels restrictive and often misinterprets my intentions, the inventory menu is awfully clunky and the Mako sidequest missions are about as tedious as it gets. The military stuff is also kind of a turn-off for me, although that's obviously a very subjective issue.

The game's still good, and I'm definitely interested to see how the sequel dealt with the issues I had, but it's still probably my least favourite of Bioware's games. Er, aside from Sonic Chronicles, obviously.

I bought Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey at Gamestop for $10. I said to myself "I'm gonna buy a $10 game" and here it was looking right at me. Did no one buy this? I remember seeing loads of used copies a while back.

It's a boring dungeon crawler after all. No high school kids. I think this is what the first few Megaten games looked like.

Edited by Sufganiyah

Currently going through:

Wii: No More Heroes 2, Madworld

PS3: Vanquish, Bayonetta (after watching the MetalGearRising trailer I NEEDS my Platinum fix!

Playing through Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary after getting it just a few days ago, going through on Legendary difficulty like I do with all Halo games. This game is just as awesome as it was in 2001. I've never seen so much detail and charm put into a remaster before. New graphics, co-op, classic multiplayer maps, skulls, and terminals add so much to the game.

The ability to seamlessly switch between the new revamped graphics and how it looked 10 years ago really boosts the nostaligia and highlights how much effort has been put in. And of course, the music. The new redone orchestrations are devine and improve on the already brilliant music.

Almost finished The Silent Cartographer. biggrin.png

Edited by Neon

• 2 weeks later...

I got Rayman Origins and Skylanders: Spyro's Adventure yesterday. Is it sad to say I prefer Skylanders out of the two of them?

Don't get me wrong, I liked playing the part of Origins I covered. I loved Rayman as a child...except I grew up on Rayman 2, which is hardly referenced in the game aside from the presence of Globox and the Teensies, and borrowing the world creator and glade concepts from Polokus. Instead, the game's a love letter to Rayman 1, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, I just don't have much nostalgia for it since I first played Rayman 1 in 2007, where it turned out I sucked balls at it. Fortunately this game is scaled back on the difficulty so that it's much easier for people to access ala New Super Mario Bros Wii to Super Mario Bros (3/World/whatever).As it is though, the Rayman 1 format of level progression always bothered me because the worlds yoou explore end up feeling so small, even if they're actually huge and sprawling. I'm also not a fan of the complette derangedness of the characters, which is unusual since I usually love that sort of thing. I dunno, I guess it just doesn't suit Rayman to me* (bear in mind that I didn't mind Rayman 3's comedy turn, so it's not like I think Rayman shouldn't be funny). If I had to say what the experience was like with other games, I'd say it's a mix of Rayman 1 with Mind Over Mutant's cutscenes with Donkey Kong Country Returns.

Skylanders, while obviously aggravating on people who like to be completionists in video games, is a very solid package in its own right as well. The characters, both Skylander and NPC, are very amiable in their own right (DINO-RANG WTF), and the game style often harks back to the older Spyro games of the 90s in its presentation (as strange as that sounds). I think the main problem it faces is that it will always be constantly be compared to every other Spyro games in terms of graphical style, when its supposed to be a very different spin on things anyway. Still, if you can get past the fact that the minimum needed to get all the items** in game is an additional £36*** (for five more element characters, not that they're required to finish the main story though), then it is a pretty fun experience in its own right. If I had to compare like I did with Origins, I'd say it was Crash of the Titans mixed in with A Hero's Tail with a pinch of Spyro 2 for flavour.

*Especially Betilla. I didn't play through much of Rayman 1, but didn't she look...different back then? If anyone got a radical makeover of WTF proportions, it was her, not the purple dragon.

**Achievements require all 32 Skylander characters, not counting alternate forms and special variants. Yeah, not a game suitable for achievement whores...

***Which I won't deny is a BIG flaw, even though I already have 11 of the buggers thus spent more than that. I guess one could liken it to physical DLC, albeit it takes a lot more time to access the download. :/

Also Spyro looks adorable.

Generations and Skyrim, basically. I beat Skyward Sword twice and have been dabbling back and forth into that on occasion trying to get all heart pieces and such.

Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3, Metal Gear Solid 4, Dead Rising 2: Off the Record, soon to work on Final Fantasy XIII and MGS HD Collection.

Welp, time for the flood of "what game are you currently playing - Christmas gift edition"!

In any case, I got a new PC - one that can reliably play games, including Sonic Generations - so while I'm not technically playing that right now, it's downloading and I soon WILL be playing it. In the meantime, I have TF2 already installed, so since it's been a while since I've last played that I think I need to go stab some backs.

Also, I'm back from half a year without my Wii, so I'm getting back into Sonic Colors (I had finished up until Asteroid Coaster before leaving it), and I'll be starting Metroid: Other M (another gift) today.

When I get off work today, I'm going to fire up Bayonetta on the XBOX 360, I figure I should give the old girl (xbox 360) something to do and revive it from being a paper weight, especially considering I bought it in August and have barely given it 3 hours of play time. I blame Halo Reach, thought I'd like it cause I enjoyed the first 3, NOPE.

Edited by Silencer226

Uncharted 3 mainly. Great game, but so far I think I prefer 2. The shooting bits feel more similar to the ones in the first game than the ones in the second, which I felt significantly improved everything. Luckily it's nowhere near as repetitive as the first, and as more in common with the second in terms of most things.

Also kinda playing Rayman Origins, which is just wonderful. Never played Rayman before, but this is basically everything I could ask for out of a video game.

Was also playing God of War 2 HD a few days ago, but I think I'll put that one hold for a bit.

Got some swag off Steam during the sales ('cept Super Meat Boy). For once, I'm actually bothering to play them all.

Alice: Madness Returns - Generic gameplay but interesting environments. So just like the first game. At least the enemies aren't as frustrating to fight this time. For $7.50, I ain't mad.

Bastion - Fun.

Recettear: An Item Shop's Tale - This is the best game I bought this month.

Super Meat Boy - I'm on world 6's boss (light world), so I'm almost done here.

Skyrim and We Love Katamari. I got both for Christmas, I've played We Love Katamari before because a friend of mine has it but I haven't been able to play the story until now. I adore Katamari games so obviously I love it. I'm also loving Skyrim which I wasn't too sure of because I really disliked Oblivion, but it's so much better.

Skyward Sword: Not nearly as epic or grand as i thought it would be, the entire approach is very diffrent than what id usually expect from a Zelda game (seriously, no proper overworld, only one town?) But the temples are some of the better ones in the series (I love Ancient Cistern) and the characters of Zelda and Link are a lor of fun this time around. And of course Groose is the most awesome thing the series has ever produced.

Twilight Princess: Now this is more of what id expect from a traditoinal Zelda game, its a lot of fun but the temples are kind of mediocre (so far, just got to Arbiter's Grounds) but the land of Hyrule is large and expansive, and the game really starts to get great when you're able to turn into a wolf whenever you want, I get a sick joy out of scaring the living shit out of everyone in Hyrule Castle Town.

• Thumbs Up 1