Awoo.

What game are you currently playing?

HelenBaby

Replaying Pokemon Black and White in preparation for Sun and Moon. Was going to play Black and White 2 as well before replaying XY, but I just don't have as much time to game as I used to. Plus, there's a veritable flood of new games coming out in the next few weeks that will be taking priority.

I've been playing Animal Crossing New Leaf. So much stuff to do and I like fishing a lot. I'm slowly building up my town and it's already filled with villagers.

While, I'm not currently playing anything, I did just finish up two games: Resistance 3 and Deus Ex Mankind Divided. Had a good time with both.

You can definitely tell that Insomniac are fans of Half Life 2. They certainly pulled a lot of inspiration from it, but if you're gonna rip someone off, do it from the best lol. R3 was kind of on the short side, but it was well paced, had good encounter design, fun weapons as you'd expect from an Insomniac game, good variety of locales, and was very good overall. One of the more overlooked PS3 games. Recommended, especially if you're a fan of shooters.

Deus Ex was... a bit of a mixed bag. The storytelling in regards to the central narrative was kind of bad, even worse than Human Revolution, which was wasn't that great either if memory serves. Adam has no personal stake in anything going on around him, which made him kind of boring. Like, the player could give him an opinion on certain topics, but Adam can never really engage in any action that actualizes those stances-- which is a shame considering the whole Augs vs. Naturals conceit (which isn't handled in the most adept of fashions, unfortunately-- though still better than how the marketing portrayed it).

The art design is something else I felt iffy on. While it's technically fantastic, no doubt, it feels decidedly less futuristic than Human Revolution, despite taking place two years afterwards. This could be a consequence of taking place primarily in Europe, though. If you've ever been there, they tend to take newer technologies and integrate them into older structures, since they are built quite solidly using lots of stonework, thus preventing the need to tear them down in many cases (this also results in the color palette being very muted much of the time). I suppose this isn't really a criticism of the art design itself, just a personal grievance of mine. What I must compliment though, is the sheer amount of asset variety. The amount of unique assets throughout the game is honestly staggering. If you were to walk down the streets of Prague and throw a dart every fifteen or so feet, it's not uncommon to see a unique building or set of objects/props with their own history and style. Very impressive work by the team at Eidos Montreal. 

The core systems, however, are where the game truly shines. Even though there's only one hub as opposed to the two in the game's predecessor, it's decidedly more dense and filled with things to see and do. There are so many places to duck into, bits n' bobs to interact with, and side stories/objectives to find. And the best part is that nearly all of them are very in-depth in terms of the process of completing them. They even have varying effects on the main quest line, which is very nice. The level design is superb as well, and the different sandboxes they place you into are quite expansive and filled with different opportunities at every turn. 

Unfortunately, the game suffers some of the same flaws as Human Revolution. The game has an almost comical reliance on air vents for alternate routes, them being the go-to option for differing paths much of the time. And they also failed in their attempt to make action-y play styles more viable, because stealth/hacking is still by far the best option of approach, which in a game that supposedly allows the player to approach situations however they wish is kinda bad. Animations are very stilted and unnatural as well, which is a shame since the game overall looks so much better. 

There's more I could go on about, and my post is probably kinda disjointed and ramble-y, but bottom line is that the game is pretty good, though very flawed from a thematic and some big core gameplay aspects. Still a solid time though.

~whew~

• 3 weeks later...

I'm currently playing Klonoa: Door to Phantomile and Ape Escape 2.

I would have beaten Klonoa way earlier, but I was kinda procrastinating on the game a bit. I'll try to beat it before the week ends, though.

As for Ape Escape 2, I still have a lot to do in the game, as I need to complete the last level and then get all the apes. Sadly, though, I haven't gotten any time to play it, due to my brother and dad hogging up the PS4 all the time, so I don't think I'll beat it anytime soon.

Anyways, I'm really enjoying both games and I'm hoping to play their successors (Klonoa 2: Lunatea's Veil and Ape Escape 3) at some point.

This underrated gem. 

516KBACBW1L.jpg

I still regard this as Suda 51's best game to this day. It's wonderfully bizarre story is dark, complex  and it's cast of characters are memorable. The gameplay is a bit odd at first but really simple to play and understand once you get the hang of it and it's presentation is great. If your looking for something really different to play with a touch of old-school Resident Evil then give this a go. It's something else. 

7 hours ago, YoshiParty said:

I'm currently playing Klonoa: Door to Phantomile and Ape Escape 2.

I would have beaten Klonoa way earlier, but I was kinda procrastinating on the game a bit. I'll try to beat it before the week ends, though.

As for Ape Escape 2, I stil have a lot to do in the game, as I need to complete the last level and then get all the apes. Sadly, though, I haven't gotten any time to play it, due to my brother and dad hogging up the PS4 all the time, so I don't think I'll beat it anytime soon.

Anyways, I'm really enjoying both games and I'm hoping to play their successors (Klonoa 2: Lunatea's Veil and Ape Escape 3) at some point.

Great choices, mate. Love both those games.

Me, I'm currently working my way through Azure Striker Gunvolt 2. Several great indie games coming out over the next week or so, including Ninja Pizza Girl and Gurumin 3D. And that's not even including games currently out that I need to play, like Sonic Boom: Fire and Ice and Rhythm Heaven Megamix. And I STILL want to replay Pokemon XY before Sun and Moon come out.

Man, never in my 20+ years of gaming have I had a backlog this big. It's a strange combination of overwhelming and exciting.

• Thumbs Up 1

Currently I am attempting to progress through the PC version of Forza Horizon 3 though I keep encountering some technical issues that should have been ironed out before the PC version went gold. For example I keep getting framerate drops even though I have a machine that exceeds the recommended requirements not just in built up urban areas but also in remote outback areas. Plus the game seems to use the CPU cores unevenly with the first one getting overloaded while the others are underutilized as well as crashing to the desktop at random. I want to love this game as it channels the spirit of the older NFS titles so well but those technical issues are making it hard to do so. I know this is Turn 10's and Playground Games first full game for the PC but these issues has cast the devs in a rather negative light among the PC gaming crowd. Not to mention the radio silence on actually attempting to fix the issues on the PC version adding fuel to the fire.

Recently got Mario Party 10. My copy of Mario Party 8 somehow stopped working on my Wii U, and I needed a party game for Thanksgiving and something fun to play with family. So me and my sisters decided on getting Mario Party 10. Plus, it finally gives me something to do with my Toad amiibo that's read/write related.

amiibo Party was an absolute blast during the Thanksgiving party. Glad we got it.

Chase: Cold Chase Investigations is about five seconds long, not amazingly well-written, and really needed to advertise itself as an Episode 1.  ...But it's really nice to be playing something CiNG-y again.  (Although I preferred Another Code to Hotel Dusk - not that the latter wasn't wonderful.)

Speculation for future installments:

Spoiler

I wonder if the new Trick could be Yuuto?  He was friends with the original Trick, was mentored and educated in computer use by the original Trick, was in a position to potentially know that Trick's death was murder, was likely to want Trick's murder to be solved, might conceivably be more talkative using remote methods like phone or e-mail, I think he might have been around while Nanase was having one of his Mahiro flashbacks?

I'm currently playing Knuckles' Chaotix. I probably won't finish it, though, because I find it kinda boring.

Decided to throw the Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks (Wii U Virtual Console) onto my pile of games. I never got this one, mostly because I never finished Phantom Hourglass (and I can't remember why--I think newer games just came along and distracted me), so I was glad it was getting a re-release. Being my first DS Virtual Console game... it's a lot more awkward than I expected. Besides being primarily stylus controls, working within the space on my Gamepad screen that's designated for the DS's bottom screen (I'm using a screen configuration that focuses more on the bottom screen since the top is only used for maps) can be limiting and I'm still getting used to when I have to switch characters in the Tower of Spirits. I also find having to use the Gamepad's microphone for the Spirit Flute rather annoying, since I have to hold the note I want to play with the stylus before blowing, but my hand tends to slip. I'm wondering how much easier this would be on an actual DS/DS Lite?

I played for four hours straight tonight, and I'm rather charmed by its writing and the little bits of character interactions. I'm especially amused with this incarnation of Zelda. She's pretty funny and pushy at times, a lot like her ancestor from Wind Waker. The game itself is rather fun, and I feel like I'm probably going to breeze through it pretty easily, even though it can be a little weird playing it on a Wii U.

On 15.9.2016 at 11:59 PM, ebongrey23 said:

I've been playing Animal Crossing New Leaf. So much stuff to do and I like fishing a lot. I'm slowly building up my town and it's already filled with villagers.

I purchased this since I used to play Wild World previously which was an OK game but also a fun game to me back in the day. I played NL for a month, got bored and sold it. Now I'm trying to play a bit of Pokemon AS and Y here and there, but mostly been playing Majora's Mask 3D and some Guild Wars 2 Halloween events. It's a bummer I have very little time for games now, but as Pokemon Sun release is nearing, I seem to have much easier days at work, hooray!! :lol:

After quite a few months of work - though not as many as I feared it might take - I have completed Xenoblade Chronicles 3D.  The hype was real; it is a very good game, with refreshing approaches to things like combat and levelling up, a well-realised world with a relatively good balance between linearity and exploration, and a plot that takes its ideas absolutely as far as it can, winding tortuously through multiple false climaxes.  I wish I had the energy for some of the postgame quests - but honestly, since it apparently involves more grinding, then really, I think I'm done.  The game sure could use some quality-of-life improvements, though; the NPC schedules are immersive but make it darn hard to track down people when you need to turn in a quest, I feel it's kind of inadequate that the full maps don't show quest objectives and such the way the mini-map does, and the mini-map is inexcusably small when the bottom screen is mostly unused grey space, and should have taken up the whole thing, with quest markers showing up all the time rather than just when you get near.  I feel that you do a lot of scrabbling around in the dirt in this game, trying to figure out where and when exactly this or that sidequest wants to take you.  It's a great game, yes, but the approach to sidequests in delivery and navigation was really fatiguing.

I also played Severed from the 3DS eShop, and found it enormously satisfying.  The controls have depth in their simplicity, the game lasts long enough to use up all of its potential without beginning to overstay its welcome, the richness of the design and use of colour is gorgeously grim, and the story is heavily theme-driven while being delivered in a few elegant moments.  The only real change I'd make would be giving you Rage a lot sooner, as you end up having it for barely any time at all and that diminishes a certain aspect of the final battle.  A tremendous game which will stay with me.

League of Legends: finally managed to reach gold, this was my goal for this season. platinum is gonna be my goal next season.

Rust: pretty good game imo, but you really get to know all the garbage humans can do to you,

Counter Strike: Global Offensive: reached legendary eagle master, i think i'm quite good at it. but my long term motivation is kinda lost atm.

Been re-playing Thief: The Dark Project (NOT the gold version), and it's good to be playing a game that I played for years, now to continue on from The Sword, (yes it's an actual misson from the game) and start The Haunted Cathedral.

I had thought that I was on the record in this very thread as having enjoyed Fairune, a short game on the 3DS eShop.  It was a cute, fun little game, but indeed very short and debatably lacking in substance; for those unfamiliar with the game, it's a kind of... compact retro RPG/adventure game where you wander around a map exploring and finding items and killing enemies by walking into them.  Very low-key, very casual.  Very obvious that it was originally a mobile game.

Anyway.  The sequel, creatively titled Fairune 2, is out, and it's so much bigger and better that, like Denpa Men 2, it almost makes the original look like a tech demo - and it helps that it was actually built for the 3DS from the ground up rather than being ported over from mobile devices.  The basic system is the same - you walk around the map finding things and squashing monsters which aren't hideously more powerful than you - but there's so much more to it.  The total map size (spread across a considerable number) is multiple times larger than the original, there are more locations, there are more items, there is actual proper item use, there are genuine puzzles.  It was more like a real game, in other words, and I really enjoyed it.

I made it to the final showcase event for Forza Horizon 3 and to be honest I was underwhelmed by it. Racing against a blimp with a Polaris RZR XP 1000 EPS is not my idea of an epic finale. I would rather it be replaced with one of the other showcase events as the finale (ie Lamborghini Centenario vs Jet) and made into one of the earlier events. At least there are still plenty of other race types and Bucket List events (custom and default) to keep myself occupied. Hopefully once the two expansions come out they have showcases that make up for the rather underwhelming finale of the vanilla game.

Finally getting around to my second playthrough of Pokemon XY. 19 more days until Sun and Moon, guys!

Haven't touched Majora's Mask 3D in months and every time I continue my quest, this game hooks me for hours. such a weird, creative and addictive game. Also playing Sonic 1 - 3&K and LeafGreen.

Tried F.E.A.R. yesterday and sadly it isn't as good as they say. Controls and technical parts were good with no issues apart from pressing the wrong button sometimes and one time the enemies threw a grenade blocking the entrance to a room to progress with the chairs blocking your character to get through. The Max Payne style slow motion move is very handy and used it a lot.

As for the game itself, it can get quite boring since its like every level so far walking, walking, shooting a few enemies, walking, going a different route, walking, shooting enemies and keeps doing it until the end of the level with a messed up bit in between. Why it is boring? Well the walking segments with some occassional jumping and crouching can take about 5 minutes. It also doesn't help that I've done over half the game and so far there's only been 3 areas (apartment block, warehouse/water treatment plant, office building) with the last two taking a bulk of the game. Also doesn't help that you backtrack so it just feels like going around in circles. I'm still in the office building as of writing and that has been 3 levels worth (split to more on the 360 version for memory reasons so it feels like 9+).

The only reason why I've hopped to another game is because I've given up on Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City. While I have beaten the game with the canonial ending with strangely no dialogue, the defeat Leon ending to me is nearly impossible. 20 grenades and countless headshots with the rifle and he is still alive (if it was any other game he'll be gone from that) yet he kills me with 3 shots from his gun. He must be invincible.

I'm juggling multiple games right.

The first one is Yomawari: Night Alone, which actually surprised me. I'm not sure if I'm just a pansy but the atmosphere of the game and fear of the unknown really gets me sometimes. I thought it was just going to be a cute little joke of a game but it's actually kind of unnerving at times because I never know what's around the corners waiting for me. So I give it props for being a surprise little gem for me to play through. It's on Steam and Playstation Vita, though I'd recommend getting it on Steam over the handheld version.

The second game I am playing is Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2. This has been an absolute joy to play so far, and maybe it's just nostalgia and a bit of imagination kicking into play here. I can just lose myself in this game and be content. I'm pretty bad at it though haha, and I don't play online at all because I get nervous playing with other people, anxiety sucks yeah.

Third, Atelier Sophie. I'm a fan of these games, they're budget JRPGs but overall are pretty fun. Pretty much the objective is to learn a lot of Alchemy recipe's and restore the memories of this book girl. Simple really, but I enjoy them.

Everything else, Star Ocean 5 (meh), Tokyo Mirage Sessions, Grand Kingdom, Senran Kagura, and Valkyria Chronicles are still on the table for me. I'd like to have them done by the end of the year though that is looking unlikely, especially for the rpgs. 

Also looking forward to Dishonored 2, really enjoyed the first one.

I have just finished the 3DS port of Corpse Party - or Corpse Party: Blood Covered... Repeated Fear, or whatever absurd name this particular iteration of the franchise technically bears.  I'd heard a lot about the game, and I'm always ready to be intrigued by horror games with retro graphics (damn you, Nanashi No Game focus testers who scuppered the localisation by complaining that you couldn't shoot the zombies!).  So, having 100%ed it with all endings and all nametags, what did I think of it?  Mostly, I was pretty impressed.  The retro graphics didn't let me down on the horror front (even though the arbitrary use of CGs did, with plenty of occasions where it seemed like there could have been one lacking), the character interactions did a pretty solid job of developing characterisation, the plot was suitably grim and mysterious.  I don't know if I'd really call it a scary game, per se; I can think of exactly one moment which spooked me (keyhole), while the rest was more just an unusually grisly adventure game.  But that was okay, too; it didn't stop it from being enjoyably odd.

The game does have flaws aplenty, though, some of which were put into context by reading an LP of the very first version of the game, back when it was an RPG Maker PC game - a fact which explains some of the arbitrary backtracking, randomised character relevance, and the fact that Chapter 5 feels almost like a different game entirely.  The game doesn't exactly do a great job of easing you into who is who, either, with text boxes which show a character's first name only while the characters themselves mostly use surnames (and then not consistently), and nearly half the cast being comprised of schoolgirls in identical outfits with the same or similar hair colours, while the boys all look completely different.  There are a few pretty glaring plot holes, too, which have less of a "mysterious" flavour and more "we didn't think about this."  And on the extreme end of tracking down alternative endings and nametags (a few of which show up in unmarked spots during a timed escape sequence through an area you've already been through), the necessity of looking up guides definitely saps some of the mystery from the game.

Overall, though, I think the full package worked.  There are more things I'd leave the same than that I'd change, overall, which is... uh, I guess objectively a pretty backhanded compliment.  But I think I got what I came for: Dead Japanese teenagers.

I'm currently trying to 100% Sonic Heroes. I had only started playing the game around Summer of this year, so I didn't really have much experience with it beforehand, but during my playthrough of it, I had absolute blast with it from start to finish (even if the flaws with it make it rather mediocre) and since I liked it so much, I figured why not try to 100% it? This will probably be the second 3D Sonic game I'll have completed after Generations, so I'm gonna try to have a lot of fun with it as well.

I'm also doing another playthrough of Pyschonauts. I also really liked that game as well. Probably the best 3D platformer I've ever played so far. (Even if it's more of an Adventure game more than half of the time.) Really hoping the sequel turns out good.