Awoo.

What game are you currently playing?

HelenBaby

Fire Emblem: Dark Dragon and Sword of Light. FE3 remake of it.

This game pulls no punches starting out. Everyone's got high movement, everyone's got 20+ HP, and you don't have the strength atm to fell a single enemy with two units unless you use your Rapier or Silver Lance. It's quite a challenge.

Shoutout to Julian for getting a Def boost on level up just before he would have bought it before 3 enemies back to back though.

Was playing Paper Mario Color Splash (have four Big Paint Stars and fixed the Toad train), but now I'm on a Skyward Sword kick. I watched the Legend of Zelda show last weekend and needed to immerse myself in a world where Link and Zelda weren't assholes, and spurred on by BotW hype I'm planning on going through the whole thing again in the lead up to the game's release. Fi's a lot more interrupting than I remember, but in general it's still the same adorable game I remember.

Rhythm Heaven Megamix for 3DS. Been on my radar for way too long, but I just haven't had the time to play it.

Next is Sonic Boom: Fire and Ice, and I'll finally have my six-month backlog of games finished off.

I've been trying to 100% Ratchet & Clank on PS4.

IT'S PRETTY GODDAMN HARD!

Also some MGSV and Overwatch, as ya do.

Harvest Moon - Boy and Girl on my PS Vita

Back when Harvest Moon was still good. The franchise sucks nowadays... Story of Seasons is lousy and Harvest Moon is just too... I dunno, the way it's designed just makes my eye twitch.

Superhot VR - Really great game. I liked the original, but VR blows it out of the water. Each level just makes you feel cool, like you're in an action movie. I'd say this game has helped justify the expense of VR.

Resident Evil 7 - Speaking of VR, I really want to play this in VR. Unfortunately I get to wait a year until Sony's exclusivity expires. Still, I'm really loving this game. It feels a LOT like the original three Resident Evils, while breathing new life by adopting the same perspective that games like Amenesia and PT used to instill horror in the player. It's also got a great sense of humor, and a few parts of the game genuinely made me bust out laughing for all the right reasons.

Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE - I picked this up and kinda put it down. The first dungeon sort of turned me off. I got really far into it, got sidelined by a powerful enemy that party wiped me, failed to flee from battle three times. Lost about 40 minutes of progress, just ran back through quickly only to find I'm now under-leveled for the first boss, meaning I get to grind it all back out. Not really thrilled about that, so I guess I'm putting a fork in this one until I finished RE7 and tire out of VR.

Drunkn Bar Fight/Rec Room - Two VR games I'm coming back to this week, but only in very short spurts.

Overwatch - The Chinese New Year event has been sucking my time away. I'm probably putting this down soon though because I'm about fed up of getting shafted with terrible teams in comp. Nothing like Reinhardts who can't put their shield up and Soldeirs who ignore Pharahs. Good times.

I'm playing a lot of video games, please send help.

Been playing Dishonored 2 since last week, and I'm absolutely loving it. Currently on the final level, and the game has been a wild ride (with missions 5 and 7 being some of the best levels I've experienced in any game). The narrative is very flaccid though, even more so than the first game, incredibly (along with basically being a repeat of what happened in that game's DLC). However, the environmental storytelling and world building remain second to none, thankfully, and both the level design and theming are absolutely superb. Emily is very fun to play as, and when I'm done, I'll slip back into Corvo's shoes on my next run.

Would recommend it to anyone who's a fan of stealth-action games or immersive sims in the vein of Deus Ex and the like.

Finally got the last trophy for Skyrim (PS3) - I'd have had it a lot earlier, but my main character discovered that the key person to get the quest you have to do to learn how to craft anything of stalhrim was missing . . . several months after I'd cleared the Wind Stone, which is presumably when the missing NPC died.  So, since I'd deleted my other characters, I had to start a totally new one, which I put off for a while. This one did nothing other than start the main quest, hit level 20 to trigger Dragonborn, do the first two parts of that quest (and, the first time, the key person did die, so I had to do it again) and then do the quest to learn stalhrim smithing and level up Smithing to actually make something.  Now I'm working on Angry Birds, since my husband put that on my login on the PS3 and it bugs me to have only two trophies, and games can't be removed from the list.

On the Wii U I just finished Paper Mario Color Splash - I am very sick of the final boss' final move - I could NOT get the timing figured out.  And since it takes so long to get back to it, it's not something that you can practice.  Today I finally managed to stay alive though two misses and actually caught the last attack to finish with one (1) hp left.  (I think it actually did more damage than Mario should have survived, but the game kindly left him just alive.)  The best bit was that I mistimed the ultimate blow, and hit him only with the stick of a hammer for the coup de grace. :lol:  Now I get to return to Twilight Princess HD to finish it up before the Switch comes out.  I sidetracked myself trying to win the race against the yeti's wife to get one more heart before fighting the final boss and got bored.

On the 3DS I'm alternating between Majora's Mask, which somehow got lost in the shuffle, and Pokemon Moon.  That one I can carry off to work and play on my breaks.

I've been playing Pokemon Sun, I'm almost done completing my Pokedex. I only need 20 more Pokemon in order to complete the alolan dex. Why is Castform such as pain in the butt to find?! Dx I don't know how many s.o.s. battles I've entered, but I haven't been lucky enough to find one yet. Same with Vanillish too... Other Pokemon I need are evolutions and two of the tapus.

Almost done with Rhythm Heaven Megamix. That game has a crazy amount of content, and I'm almost done. I didn't figure there'd be much to the story mode, but it's surprisingly fun. I'm even finding the characters endearing. Then again, I found the mini game characters endearing in past games, so I guess it shouldn't be a surprise. Loving this game.

So late last year I finally picked up The King of Fighters '98: Ultimate Match for the PlayStation 2. I played the original at the arcades like crazy back in the day and I'm not sure why I didn't pick it up before now (I had like, what, eight years?!). Still, played through every mode, unlocked every character, and played around with the character color edit option—attempted to make Omega Rugal look like God Rugal from Capcom VS SNK 2, attempted to make Takuma look like Akuma from Street Fighter, gave Goenitz a magenta costume to match the Orochi Team… and gave my favorite gal, Blue Mary, a tan, pale blonde hair, a black top, faded blue jeans, and Terry's brown jacket… among other, similar character color changes. Actually makes me wish the game had an online mode… but considering its age and outdated platform there's no way it'd still be active.

…granted if my Xbox 360 still worked I'd probably be playing SoulCalibur V right now since I love the intricate (if not always balanced) fighting styles of the characters and the character creation options of IIIIV, and V. I'll also be a little saddened that Seong Mi-Na was dropped from V's roster; she's been my favorite ever since the series began, and I likewise highly enjoyed Talim and Zasalamel. Still, Viola is a nice (and potentially broken) edition, but I wish she, Z.W.E.I., and… well, and most of the new characters had gotten more fleshed out during the game's story mode. As fun as V was, it definitely has an "incomplete" feel to it and after so many years I fear we're unlikely to see a SoulCalibur VI any time soon. Ah, well, I'm happy I was able to use Viola's style for a sorceress of mine, Quintessa, whom I had originally created in SoulCalibur III and later Dungeons & Dragons:

Spoiler

quintessaXX.pngquintessaXXX.png

…speaking of old games, another title I picked up last year was Giana Sisters DS for the Nintendo DS, a remake/sequel of an old PC sidescroller called "The Great Giana Sisters." Ironically Giana's sister doesn't actually show up in the new game, but it's a fun little Mario clone with its own bit of flavor, very simple and easy to get into, and for a series with such a sordid history with Nintendo I find it amusing to see it published on a Nintendo platform (and I believe a friend of mine bought the sequel, Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams, for his WiiU so I'll have to ask him how it is).

My only "new" game in recent years has been Pokémon Moon and… I just can't get into it. I bought it during a midnight release event but I think after twenty years and "catching 'em all" game after game I might be a little burnt out; it doesn't help that, despite constantly improving technology and compatibility with Pokémon Bank that Pokémon transfers are still one-way. Having some amateur background in computer programming I kind of wonder just what are the games doing to the Pokémon files that make them incompatible with 6th-gen games—I mean I can take a Pokémon I bred in Y, transfer it to Bank, transfer it to Moon, transfer it back to Bank without making any changes at all and yet it can't go back to Y because… reasons. Gen I and Gen II allowed for straight-up trading between them so long as it was only old Pokémon with old movesets, so why do these new games have such a problem with it?

I guess the problem is that I'm too attached to Y because, what with the increased length of trainer names, I decided to name my character using my surname with my nickname as his nickname (and having a trainer ID of "13666" just seemed too amusing to me), and using the customization option to make him resemble myself to a degree (and an old, custom LEGO minifig I've had since I was a child) I just don't want to abandon the game to the mists of time, almost forgetting it exists just because it's no longer "new." I caught Yveltal in Y and Y is where it should remain, dagnabbit! Another aspect of that problem is that I don't like giving my characters the same name since they're from different regions and go on different adventures and, well, I consider them different characters. Ah, well… one of these days when I find the time I'm going to hunker down and try to plow through Moon, but it might just end up being the last Pokémon game I get for awhile. We'll see.

Until then I do have some other older titles I need to get back to; some years back I picked up copies of the DOS classics, The Bard's Tale III, and III. Haven't quite finished the first yet (at least not until I get around to making sure my map of the sewer's first floor is complete), but I did a partial start of the third game; see, the first allows you to have a party of up to six characters, all male, all of whom I named after famous figures from history—the third allows a party of seven and introduced female characters, so I created such a character, leveled her up, got her some nice weapons and armor, and she'll be awaiting the other party to go on one grand, big adventure.

Also after picking up my first desktop last year I finally got around to reinstalling SimCity 2000 and am considering drawing up a new, "hi-def" .ico file to display on the desktop (a sort of personal homage to my school days when some of the computers there ran the game and had the icon on their desktops… or whatever the Macintosh equivalent was called). I only have one saved city, however, and the only reason I stopped playing was because I couldn't decide how to lay down the subway or where else I was going to build in the very hilly terrain—honestly Silverstream's got a healthy 80,000+ population and is self-sufficient so aside from aiming for arcologies there's not much left for me to do with it.

❖ ❖ ❖

With all of that said (can I go off on a tangent or what?!), most of my gaming time has been spent playing Dungeons & Dragons 5th Edition—currently a retread of Out of the Abyss until the newest adventure book drops sometime in April (I think?). I've been having fun with a dark elf antipaladin/assassin named Variolus of House Baenre, but she's really the only thing I have been having fun with; I "grew up" with 3rd Edition and I won't call it perfect as it was definitely rules bloated… but I guess with my background in web design, computer programming, and radio electronics I've become used to rules and used to having fun seeing what wonders I can create within those rules… essentially taking these limitations as a fun challenge. As such I find 5th Edition to be too simple and too easy, especially with the life and death mechanics—fights can still be difficult, but as long as you survive with 1 hit point and can rest for eight hours and you're back to full strength as if nothing had happened, and you can even take a "short rest" to give yourself a bit of recovery. Earlier editions felt a lot more gritty in comparison because even resting after a fight you barely survived didn't guarantee you'd be at full strength so you had to plan a bit more tactically and not just rush in mindlessly.

I'd be amiss to say it's all bad, though, because the classes do feel a bit more "balanced" compared to earlier editions and being able to (eventually) make multiple attacks and a move action in a single turn is a big boost to non-spellcasters… but then again I find that the "balance" often came not by making one class stronger but by making every other class weaker, such as only fighters being able to make more than two attacks via the Extra Attack class feature or only sorcerers being able to alter their full spell assortment via Metamagic. The group I've been playing with is solid though and while they can be overly silly and while we've had some disagreements I have no regrets regarding my participation… I just wish the game didn't feel like so much handholding at times.

Well, I should put this post to bed considering I've blathered on far too much as it is……

After a couple of months, I've finally wrapped up Shin Megami Tensei IV: Apocalypse.  It's a curious expansion-reworking of the original, riding more or less roughshod over the major plot points of IV standard to tell a story that's very different - and, despite taking place in exactly the same setting, it even feels like a different place, with a much less brutal edge as humans have started to take back control.  I think I preferred the sheer hostility of the setting as it was presented in the original IV - but I enjoyed the less... prosaic plot of IV Apocalypse, too, and the supremely ambitious scope it reached by the end.  Even if that end had to be walled behind an hours-long final dungeon of apparently deliberately poor design...  As with the original, I'm at least happy with the ending I got, at least.  Such a shame that I had to have that nasty philosophical disagreement with my allies and everyone who ever believed in me, though - but, well, they're not complaining any more...

Next up: I halted my playthrough of Dragon Quest VII 3D midway through to play SMTIVA, so it's back to that.  And I still have DQVIII3D waiting in the wings, too...  So many RPGs, so little time...

• 2 weeks later...

Currently playing The Division, FFXIV and Horizon Zero Dawn. Horizon being the game that's stealing my soul atm, it's so BIG and huge and open and FUN. FFXIV is having a hard time keeping me from it honestly. Tho Stromblood releasing in june FFXIV has a chance with it's june update. So far tho GET HORIZON! It's so good. - I think. - Also.. HAI PEOPLES :D 

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

I took yet another break (I really should stop doing this) from Dragon Quest VII 3D to play a couple of 3DS eShop games.

Parascientific Escape: Gear Detective is the sequel to the surprisingly good (for its price point) Parascientific Escape: Cruise In The Distant Seas, and unfortunately, it doesn't live up to the level set by its predecessor.  Part of that is because it actually short-changes the player on escape rooms, offering only three across its five chapters, which I'm sure must be fewer than the original game, and the protagonist's chronokinesis, while intellectually interesting, simply isn't as fun to use as the first game's protagonist's clairvoyance-telekinesis combination; furthermore, the escapes themselves are incidental to the overarching narrative in a way that they weren't quite (to the extent that any escape-the-room game can justify its plot) in the original.  But it's the narrative that's the main problem; it perhaps over-reaches itself in ambition, or perhaps simply in lack of the exotic silliness of the original game, which gleefully threw at the player room escapes, abandoned cruise ships, psychics, anonymous saboteurs with meaningful pseudonyms, and a villain disguised in a mascot costume.  The tropes of Gear Detective just aren't of the same pleasurable quality.  Furthermore, the non-escape-based chapters are spent in a morass of frequently arbitrary menu-based navigation around a tedious city.  Granted, there are multiple endings that reward different dialogue choices, but the process is pretty grindy.  The game may be cheap, and it's true that I'm a long-time fan of room escape games and janky poor-quality localisations, but it's a bit of a shame.  Hopefully (and from the preview screenshots, I think there is reason to hope), the presently Japan-exclusive threequel, Saihate no Cross Eyes, will be superior - but I can't help wishing that we'd had a localisation of the more sophisticated-looking Dasshutsu Adventure series instead...

Similar to my addiction to Flash-based room escape games, I used to enjoy the Shift series of online games, so I figured I might as well buy Shift DX to repay the developers for some of those hours of enjoyment.  Well, I can't fault it on quantity; at 250 levels, the game frankly risks outstaying its welcome, and more than justifies the frequent breather levels.  Still, there are odd lapses - shortcuts and exploits it really seems the developers simply overlooked, not least the player character's ability to collect items at the very apex of her jump height, which seems very much unintentional.  The necessity of rotating the game screen in every direction means it's necessary for the game to have borders at the left and right of the screen, but some less abstract art would have been better, for the border they use instead is often far too easy to confuse for part of the game screen itself.  The game also has a Challenge mode, the challenge being to beat every level with a target number of jumps and shifts, and I thought I'd give that a go too, going in reverse to get the hardest levels out of the way first - but unfortunately I'm stumped by Room 223, which appears to be impossible with the presently-listed number of shifts!  (The par for the level is 5; well, that in itself is impossible, as the nature of the level demands an even number of shifts to win, so it's actually really a par of 4 shifts - but I don't see that it can be done in less than 6.)  I don't imagine anyone will ever read this and know some ingenious method by which the level can be beatable within the given parameters, so it looks like that's where this game ends for me.  Another shame; I didn't have great luck with either of these games, but I suppose you get what you pay for.

Lately its been very hard for me to play a game. Last one that I completed was Warhammer 40K: Space Marine after struggling with Quantum Theory, even then not 100% due to some glitch with the audio logs that is well known and THQ doesn't like patches (why 50cent Blood on the Sand didn't get the trophies that the later Japanese version got or a fix for The Outfit to work on modern TVs so PAL versions are screwed, lucky that the Saints Row series gets them). At least I enjoyed the gameplay, story and the voice acting but the ending was a bit weird.

I've started with Rise of the Argonauts, a Greek mythology based game with BioWare and some God of War influences. When it started the gameplay, I thought Oh dear... It felt really (I don't like using this word) janky. It got a bit smoother after that though. The combat has been okay, played better but also worse games with the controls, they seem responsive enough. It looks fine and haven't encountered much if any technical issues. It does have a well known voice cast though (more so now than 9 years ago) and could tell the voice of Hercules for this is the same as the Hulk, Fred Tatasciore.

One major problem with the game that I found so far for me. It's been very boring. Played over 2 hours of the game and it really felt like playing 10 minutes worth. So much long drawn out dialogue that doesn't mean anything and the choices don't mean much to influence your game just depends whether you got equipment or not at best. I'm sure most of the BioWare games have more choice that makes a difference but yet to play any of them properly to find out. Most of the game so far have been doing errands and backtracking as well as repeating what happened 20 minutes ago, from the looks of things I expect to do even more of this one I get to other areas of the game. I'm not sure if I have enough willpower to continue or just retire the game.

So I've hopped on towards Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire since I had to test the cartridge but ended up playing for half a hour since I enjoyed it a lot more than the previous game. For a game that's about 20 years old, it has aged quite well. The first level is great and I can see why it was the influence of Rogue Squadron, a good Star Wars game. Shooting levels have been better than I thought they would have been and controlled decently all things considering, even the jumps if you take your time. Now I'm on that Junkyard Train level and I think I remember why this game got some flak back in the day...

Finally got tired of playing Rhythm Heaven Megamix. There's just so much to do to get 100 percent, and it was just starting to be a bit of a slog.

Moved on to Sonic Boom: Fire and Ice. Honestly, I was kinda hesitant since it looked kind of bland, especially being made by the same guys who did Shattered Crystal. It's no classic, but I'm pleasantly surprised how much fun the game is. The gameplay works for what it is; everything is fluid and fast-moving. I actually didn't want it to end by the time I was done. Going back through to get all the trading cards and hammers and whatnot now.

After this, I've finally finished my backlog that I've had for the past half-year. Gonna marathon some of my favorite games next, starting with Super Mario Galaxy.

Currently playing Sonic Unleashed again after 2-3 years of not playing it. I managed to play it again thanks to PS Now. It's a pretty fun game so far, though I don't like it as much as I did before. Still, decent game so far. Hopefully I'm able to beat it before my PS Now trial ends.

I also have been playing Pac-Man World 3, which I have mixed feelings towards. It controls well, has decent platforming, and I like the dialogue and voice acting of the characters, but the combat is pretty meh, the graphics are kinda ugly, and the music is almost nonexistent. That said, there's more stuff I like about it than stuff I dislike, so I'm sure I'll beat it at some point.

And last, but not least, I'm playing Yakuza 0. Loving the game so far. Combat's great, the graphics looks nice running at 60 FPS, the story is pretty interesting, and there's so much content in it. This is probably the best PS4 game I currently own atm.

• 3 weeks later...

On clean up duty on Saints Row 2 after completing the story as in doing the last few activities. I can say that the game is to me better than the first game and I did really enjoy playing the first. It doesn't feel like GTA 3 in HD anymore but sadly loses some of the colour out of it. The map is better with more variety, the collision bugs of the first have been mostly ironed out and more activities however keeps most of what made the first game good. There were a couple of issues with the game such as some enemy placements getting unfair, a boss that has an unfair throw move draining nearly a 1/3 of your life and get into a headlock if you couldn't move away in time. As well as the glitches but they don't bother me as much due to its part of the open world genre, including one where the map just stopped streaming and fell out into nothing so I had to restart the game. Plus some of the activities are quite hard and require luck rather than skill such as Heli Assault (hope the van doesn't break down since rescuing the crew is really hard with the chopper, it makes the Strike series a casual game by comparison) or the worse than the first game Insurance Fraud where driving fast with the police car doesn't cut it anymore. You had to hope to spawn at the right place (preferable a place with a hill or near a drop if things get sour e.g. The Mills), hope it generates the right vehicles (e.g. anything large, fast cars also works but not bikes) and enough of them too. Its lovely to see when done right but annoying when it doesn't.

As well as that I've been playing Pac-Man and the Ghostly Adventures on the PS3. It's a 3D platformer and I'm getting a bit low on supply of that genre (platformers in general actually; only have Rayman Legends, the sequel to this and I've done all that I have) so I thought of giving it a go. It's all right, not a good platformer but not a terrible one either. Graphics are okay, nothing to complain about and nice to see a bright colourful game for a while after playing so many shooting games. Level design starts of repetitive but starts to change a bit even though the signs are still there (all levels in a world are themed and most of the time stick with the look of the first level, it's like playing Green Hill for 6 acts). It's also very generous with its powerups as most when you get hit, there's one very near by. Just a few technical annoyances that I've experienced causing me to lose lives out of my control such as the Rolling Ball powerup sometimes doesn't respond to the stop command and actually moves instead falling straight into the lava, camera isn't always at the best spot and even had a few times when a button press didn't react so I got hit by enemies/grab onto the swing (same issue that I had with the Werehog in Sonic Unleashed) and died. One big issue for me is Pac-Man's voice as in he sounds too young and doesn't fit with the character. It gives me more of like a Mega Man vibe to me. Bearing in mind that I haven't seen the show so I don't have a full understanding of it. Is it a prequel to the first game considering Pac-Man's enemies are his friends?

At least I've over half way done so it shouldn't take too long to finish. The sequel is going to be interesting though since it was pretty much the only 3D platformer of that year.

finished the first difficulty of Fire Emblem Heroes' Spring Festival.  It's actually quite cute seeing Lucina geek out over her painted eggs and Xander act as the "comically serious".

I'm making my way to the last temple in Majora's Mask 3d. Heck this game has been entertaining and I really wanna finish it soon so I can move on to other games. I think I started playing the story almost a year ago, completed the first two temples, didn't play it in months and now this spring I got back into playing this.

Next game I'm going to dive into is Dawn Of War 3. Big fan of the first two, especially the first game and the third installment seems pretty hectic. April 27th can't come soon enough.

Also waiting for Sonic Mania to be released this summer. I'll be all set and ready to play some good games this year.

Super Mario Galaxy. Still one of the best games of all time.

After this, I'm debating on replaying Mega Man Legends or Ape Escape.

• Thumbs Up 1

Well I've just more or less finished playing Pac-Man and the Ghostly Adventures 2. In some ways it is better than the first however it has issues of its own. The levels have a lot more variety, the Panzer Dragoon inspired parts were all right, better bosses and feels more like the source material (arcadey feeling, calling the things pellets rather than "globe energy", even the Galaxian ship is here). The voice is still not fitting with Pac-Man but at least has a better story. Sadly the problems of the first game aren't fixed such as the button presses don't always react, the ball not stopping sometimes, the losing lives out of your control (that is worked around by giving you lives like candy, by the first world you have all 99) and the homing attack has problems registering the move (have to sometimes do it up to 5 times to get it to work). It also has that feeling of being rushed since some of the levels (the Space ones and a couple parts of the last world) have a really bad framerate and I mean really bad, the first game rarely had this problem. The game is normally 30 fps and gets as bad as a N64 game, normally I don't complain about framerate but with the controls not responding all the time problem it makes it worse. Not just that but also a few design flaws such as the level not generating the platforms on one of the levels if you decide to get the fruit.

I do find it surprised that the reviews of the game seem to do the Sonic is rubbish in 3D reference (I disagree on some games but agree on others) and one even comparing Cyli and Spiral towards Sonic's friends. At least they help Pac-Man and even control them this time. The series has gone back to the Sonic Mania route such as Pac-Man Championship Edition 2 and 256 so it might be a while before Pac-Man gets another 3D platformer, hopefully done better.

Now I'm going to decide whether to play Killzone HD, GUN or Resident Evil 5.

It was nioh but I got my platinum.  then it was mass effect but persona comes out tonight. Been done with breath of the wild.

Game I'm currently playing is Sonic and Sega All Stars Racing. I've been unlocking cups and characters and the Super Monkey Ball tracks were pretty difficult for me at first. But over time I'm starting to get better at them and enjoy playing those tracks. Wanted to play this game for awhile and I'm enjoying it. :3