Awoo.

What game are you currently playing?

HelenBaby

Sonic Adventure-  I'm playing through it again, and I'm in the middle of Amy's story. I forgot how slow and tankish she is. :P

Dead Space 2- I got this for christmas, and it doesn't really live up to the first game IMO. I don't think the story and setting are as interesting. 

Sonic Mania-  I keep dying on Flying Battery. :(

Left 4 Dead 2- Still my favorite Co-Op game of all time. It's so addicting.

Injustice 2- So much fun. I'm terrible at fighting games, but that doesn't mean it isn't fun as hell to play.

Trying out Haze aka the last released game by Free Radical. While the gameplay is a bit off when it comes to shooting and the weapon zoom is a bit too zoomed so it could have done with some tweaking with the mechanics, it is an okay game and like that you can completely change the controls. The driving parts of the game does have decent controls though, find them better than Halo's approach to driving (I don't like using the analog stick to move and accelerate so I prefer close to racing game controls). What makes it worth playing funnily enough is the storyline, even though it was marketed as some Halo type of game with the typical American soldiers cliché if you read between the lines you get something completely different. Your squad are drug addicts, yep who care more about their "medicine" being stolen than their dying pilot even though the main character is a bit weary of them. I figured out very early on that "Nectar" was a drug and seems suspicious that the game encourages you to take drugs (even though when I played it, I don't use it often and only to make it easier because of the dodgy shooting mechanics), if you take too much you get really bad side effects just like real life. Some of the dialogue was close to hilarious and what little I know seems about right in character with the demographic.

There is another side of the story where you play as "the enemy" however I haven't got there yet and judging by what I have experienced so far, I don't think it would be what it seems.

Had I paid full price at launch, I would have been really annoyed but for 50p, it is an entertaining B game.

Animal Crossing: New Leaf - I keep forgetting to play the game while Nook's Homes shop is open so I can get my dang house upgrade, haha.

3 hours ago, Tikikata said:

Animal Crossing: New Leaf - I keep forgetting to play the game while Nook's Homes shop is open so I can get my dang house upgrade, haha.

I tried really hard to get into AC games but never understood their appeal. Happy you can enjoy it, though. ^_^

Atm I'm trying to finish some Pokemon games like Platinum and HG. I really enjoy Pokemon Gen 2-4 even though their significantly slower pace. Also should get back into BW2 post-game. Also, Sonic Mania has been on my list non-stop. 

I've been doing some eShop games on the Switch between Arms and Pokken online matches (Arms is fun even though I'm lousy, it feels like I'm loosing because I am lousy, but have a chance of getting better;  Pokken's not so fun because I can't even get started, not even a lucky hit in and it feels like both the computer opponent and actual online opponents are pulling moves/ blocks/ dodges that I don't have access to - like the way I can NEVER land a Boost attack, and the opponent's I can never avoid, and once they land an attack they have me, but if I do get a hit it's only one and then they demolish me with an uninterruptable string of attacks.)  Anyway, I've played Koi, and am working on The Bridge and Picross S.  And Stardew Valley.

I'm back to Ni No Kuni on the PS3 and not playing PS4 right now since my husband's taken it over with his new Sniper Elite game (which I gave him for Christmas).

The 3DSs are finishing the Dex in Pokemon Sun and Setting out in Ultra Sun.

Been playing a lot of my Christmas games at once, mostly on Switch:

Yooka-Laylee - The one I've probably played the most as of late and it even has the most total play time on my Switch. Small hiccups such as the lack of a map aside, I adore this game. It oozes that N64 Rare charm and it's a lot of fun just combing each World for collectables. (Even more so now that I've unlocked the Tonic that detects rare stuff!) Already unlocked all the worlds and 100%d Tribalstack Tropics.

Sonic Forces - Beat this the other day with my Bird dude. Really enjoyed it and constantly found myself smiling, laughing, or just flat-out enjoying certain moments in the story as they happened. (When Shadow showed up, I miiiiiiiight have headbanged a little.) Level design could be a bit cheap and Classic Sonic's stages were kinda dull, but I'd say this is my favorite game since Generations. (I'd even say that it's my favorite story since Black Knight, but honestly, that isn't hard.) It just had a lot of the little things that I appreciate in 3D Sonic games.

Sonic Mania - Made it up to the end of Hydrocity with Sonic and Tails, but gamed over, so taking a break. Very beautiful game with just a ton of fun details to spot. My favorite part so far has to be the bosses. A lot of them are super creative.

Super Bomberman R - My first Bomberman experience and boyyyyyyyy does it show. Currently playing through the Story Mode and had to pay to continue at least two or three times mostly because I kept blowing myself up. Cutscenes are cute, though.

Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle - Made it to World 3 after barely surviving the previous boss thanks to Rabbid Peach's Sentry. Currently rocking a team of Mario, Luigi, and Rabbid Peach for healing and sniping ease. Very addictive little game and excited for DK.

Super Mario Odyssey - Made it to the Snow Kingdom and challenging myself to see how many extra Moons I can score above the required amount before I move on. Between this and Yooka-Laylee, My collectathon itch is getting a thorough massage.

Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga + Bowser's Minions - Reached Oho Oasis in the main game and recently recruited Iggy in the side one. Wasn't sure how much I'd get into Minion Quest when it was first shown off, but It's actually quite addictive and fun deciding which teams to send into which stages and when to use Captain Skills. As for Superstar Saga, it's the same awesomeness it's always been only prettier and with special moves I can get a better timing for.

LEGO Marvel Super Heroes 2 - Loved the first one and this is more of the same only with SO MUCH MORE. Already unlocked Howard the Duck and Spider-Man 2099, so I'm sated.

Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite - Only played a bit of the Story Mode and made it to the Dark Kingdom. Nemesis in the previous stage reminded me of how much I suck at fighting games.

Pokemon Ultra Moon - Again, only played a bit of it so far because I'm not super in a Pokemon mood right now, but I needed to make sure I scored the Rockruff in time. Started with Rowlett this time and he's currently my only team member.

• Thumbs Up 2

I got myself Pokemon: Ultra Moon, and I've very much been enjoying it. I never got the original Sun or Moon, so this updated version was actually an option for experiencing it for the first time.

The graphics are pretty good for the system; the gap between Sugimori's artwork and the actual ingame graphics keep getting smaller and smaller.

The characters so far are pretty fun and enjoyable to see. Though I domkeep imagining accents for some of them.

Now, speaking as someone who never got Sun or Moon in their original forms, I cannot judge how this is compared to them, or if the new stuff is even worth it. But I can say if you chose not to buy it because you do own the original, I feel you, and would probably feel the same way if I did snag the original.

But taken on their own, this is very enjoyable, and if one doesn't own the original, I could see myself wholeheartedly reccomending this, for this is probably the most fun I had with Pokemon in quite a while.

AC: Black Flag, such an awesome game, I can't believe it took me this long to finally play it.

Also playing Grim Fadango, this is one tricky game, been years since I played such type of game, I don't like to admit, but I had to use walkthoughts to be able to solve some puzzles..

On 1/17/2018 at 6:18 PM, SurrealBrain said:

I got myself Pokemon: Ultra Moon, and I've very much been enjoying it. I never got the original Sun or Moon, so this updated version was actually an option for experiencing it for the first time.

The graphics are pretty good for the system; the gap between Sugimori's artwork and the actual ingame graphics keep getting smaller and smaller.

The characters so far are pretty fun and enjoyable to see. Though I domkeep imagining accents for some of them.

Now, speaking as someone who never got Sun or Moon in their original forms, I cannot judge how this is compared to them, or if the new stuff is even worth it. But I can say if you chose not to buy it because you do own the original, I feel you, and would probably feel the same way if I did snag the original.

But taken on their own, this is very enjoyable, and if one doesn't own the original, I could see myself wholeheartedly reccomending this, for this is probably the most fun I had with Pokemon in quite a while.

As someone who put A LOT of time into Sun (clocked in about 300 hours--haven't done that since Diamond), I got Ultra Moon for Christmas mostly because I liked the exclusives and I thought I'd have fun experiencing it anew in between other stuff. I barely have the motivation to get past the opening tutorial areas because it's all as super linear and hand-hold-y as SM are, but with fewer surprises that really get me invested and immersed in the setting. SM were fresh and fun for me, and I could weather the weaker aspects because I liked the region and trying to catch lots of different Pokémon. USUM is kind of more of the same, and it makes the early parts more of a slog because I just want to get to the meat of the game, not stop and go every two minutes to have the same stuff explained to me. Makes me wish tutorials could be opted out at any time like the older games. This isn't to say the additions I'm aware of or seen are bad by any means (I can catch Zorua and Hawlucha on the first island!) or that the charm and quality of the Island Challenge story is diminished, but I definitely agree with the assessment that if you haven't played the originals, you will get way more out of the "Ultra" versions.

It probably doesn't help that I bred and raised a bunch of Pokémon I was really proud of in my copy of Sun, and the thought of raising and breeding new teams to take on the later challenges makes my eyes glaze over.

I might try to get back into the game whenever I finish Xenoblade 2.

Doki Doki Literature Club. Curiosity got the best of me.

OTHER THAN THAT, Pokemon Silver, postgame Mario Odyssey and finished Uncharted 4 not too long ago.

3 hours ago, Zaysho said:

As someone who put A LOT of time into Sun (clocked in about 300 hours--haven't done that since Diamond), I got Ultra Moon for Christmas mostly because I liked the exclusives and I thought I'd have fun experiencing it anew in between other stuff. I barely have the motivation to get past the opening tutorial areas because it's all as super linear and hand-hold-y as SM are, but with fewer surprises that really get me invested and immersed in the setting. SM were fresh and fun for me, and I could weather the weaker aspects because I liked the region and trying to catch lots of different Pokémon. USUM is kind of more of the same, and it makes the early parts more of a slog because I just want to get to the meat of the game, not stop and go every two minutes to have the same stuff explained to me. Makes me wish tutorials could be opted out at any time like the older games. This isn't to say the additions I'm aware of or seen are bad by any means (I can catch Zorua and Hawlucha on the first island!) or that the charm and quality of the Island Challenge story is diminished, but I definitely agree with the assessment that if you haven't played the originals, you will get way more out of the "Ultra" versions.

It probably doesn't help that I bred and raised a bunch of Pokémon I was really proud of in my copy of Sun, and the thought of raising and breeding new teams to take on the later challenges makes my eyes glaze over.

I might try to get back into the game whenever I finish Xenoblade 2.

I'm playing Ultra Moon right now, approaching the endgame, and I can tell you that your feelings probably won't change.  The new material doesn't really add enough, and I actually feel in some respects the original stories might even have been better than the enhanced version; on the other hand, the fights actually feel tougher this time around.  I'll do a full breakdown when I'm done, but so far the Ultra games have more or less convinced me of the narrative that Gen VII in general didn't have enough time in development.

• Thumbs Up 1

You gotta do what?

cover_large.jpg

Thanks to a Flash Sale, I can finally play this ol' gem! Alright, let's have some fun!

...Man, the cutscenes aren't optimized. That's unfortunate.

Man, these first three stages are fun! Onto the next!

...oh...

.......oh......

...............ohhhhhh.........

...Okay, this game is like, over 20 years old. How come the timing issues with the songs are still bad? I swear I make a move right but apparently, nope. I heard this has always been a problem with any version of Parappa 1 which is a damn shame. Because everything else in this game is great.

I had just finished Kirby's Return to Dream Land last night, and  I forgot how fun Kirby can be. The abilities were fun to use and the last few bosses were designed well. Now I can't wait for Star Allies to come out.

• 3 weeks later...

(Almost) one month later update!

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe & Pokken Tournament DX - Mostly been playing a lot of these lately to get them all ready for some multiplayer action. Already unlocked Gold Mario and the Gold Glider, so the hardest work's already done in Mario Kart. (Also never bothered getting the latter in the Wii U game, so this time I'll have ALL the options.) Going through Pokken with Scizor as my partner this time (As well as wearing a shirt to honor my Wii U dude, Sceptile) and cleared through the Red League so far. Needed to shake off a bit of rust, though.

Yooka-Laylee - Cleared the game 100% and enjoyed every minute of it. I'd love to see a sequel in the future so Playtonic can further build upon this game's mechanics and universe.

Sonic Mania - Made it to Lava Reef with Sonic & Tails. Y'know, before, I was wondering why someone would really need to be 100% spoiler-free about a game with a very minimal story like this one...that was before I made it to the Mirage Saloon boss...HOLY CRAP I'M SO GLAD I STAYED IN THE RELATIVE DARK.

Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle - Made it to World 4 after a much easier boss encounter. Game still gets pretty brutal, though, especially WITH THAT FREAKING BOUNCE DAMAGE ARRRRRGGHHH!!! Got a bit easier again when I realized that you can swap party members between Chapters. (Less so when I realized I still needed to buy and update ALL of their equipment if I wanted them to be useful.)

Super Mario Odyssey - Beat the main story and currently mucking about all over looking for Power Moons, so as per usual with this game.

Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga + Bowser's Minions - On the hunt for Bean Star Pieces after grabbing all of E. Gadd's bonus accessories thanks to some amiibo assistance. Also discovered Secret Scroll 1 completely by accident after forgetting about it, so that's neat. As for Minion Quest, I recruited Iggy, so that makes me pretty happy.

LEGO Marvel Super Heroes 2 - Beat the main story and all the Gwenpool missions. Now just combing Chronopolis and unlocking everything I have left.

Going through Gran Turismo 5... without being able to do the Seasonal Races for easy money. Things get pretty tight sometimes, and it really sucks that the events that DO give good money aren't grindable.

I'm playing the online Halo PC project called Eldewrito. Finally got to play this thing and it's been a blast even though the current build is from 2016. I'm anxiously waiting for 0.6 version. 

Pokémon Ultra Moon - See here and here.

Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga + Bowser's Minions - It holds up.  That was my biggest relief in playing this.  Like Pokémon Ultra Moon, it was a game I was uncertain about getting as I didn't think I really needed to play it - but unlike that game, I'm so glad I did.  The early graphics comparisons showing the game as much richer but without the extent of style and charm as the sprite-based original spooked me, I admit, and in playing I often felt that the updates to the music altered the character of the original pieces in ways I wasn't fond of - but the vast majority of the time, I simply didn't notice this while playing; everything felt right, the whole experience felt just like I was playing the original over again but without the limitations of GBA technology.  It's not perfect, but this is really an excellent remake that captures the original supremely well; I almost feel like it's not different enough.

There are a few tweaks.  Selecting actions is now a bit more laborious because you can't switch the Mario Bros. positions independently; you either have to use the touch screen or L- and R-scroll through a long list.  Putting character-switching on, say, Select or Y seems like it could have eliminated this awkwardness, which is a shame.  Battle animations are apparently slower, which should probably be looked at as game speed is something people have complained about since the series hit the 3DS.  There are no longer unmarked bean spots which can only be found through environmental clues, which strikes me as a solid improvement, and sometimes they're still hidden by either lighting or interaction with other ground design elements.  The Geno cameo has been cut, which I understand as the licensing is clearly fussy and it was the most insubstantial cameo ever; the weird skeleton Donkey Kong is also gone, which is... less necessary, but it was kind of weird anyway.  The movie posters which referenced other Nintendo series now reference other Mario & Luigi games, which strikes me as far given that they now exist whereas WarioWare and Starfy kind of don't.  The Little Fungitown Toads have been standardised in design (but not colour scheme), while "Psycho Kamek" has been replaced with Dr. Toadley, a change I can live with considering that Psycho Kamek raises a few questions nowadays whereas Dr. Toadley is not only a non-standard Toad but also appears in Bowser's Inside Story.  And lastly, the Koopalings' introductory cutscene in Bowser's castle has been cut, but they now all have a few lines of dialogue; this I think reflects not only the fact that they appear throughout Minion Quest but also are now a much more familiar and expected element of Mario canon.  That covers everything I noticed; it's a bit of a mixed bag, but I generally understand what the remake is going for.

• Minion Quest - The gameplay of this mode isn't much to write home about.  The battles themselves are effectively passive, with only extremely limited and almost abstract interactivity on your part; the process of recruitment is mysterious and random; the enemy information preview tells you what you'll face but gives no information about what numbers of enemies, so you may end up preparing for completely the wrong situation if, say, the preview lists four melee enemies and one ranged but then the majority of the enemy forces are that ranged foe; and at times it is effectively impossible to avoid grinding.  Take it from somebody who has quadruple 100% on the Records screen.  But the thing is... you're not playing it for the gameplay.  You're playing it for the story, the writing, and that part is absolutely fantastic.  Easily my favourite vanilla-Mario-character story in the series so far, this mode takes the most generic of enemies and builds wonderful, likeable characters out of them, engaging in a surprisingly extensive and hilarious storyline.  The characterisation is genuinely so rich that it's truly a joy to progress through the worlds.  Some may quibble about the way the storyline plays with the original Superstar Saga, but I don't really think there's any point to that; much like Episode RR in Ultra Moon, this is solidly just for fun and is only as serious as you want it to be.  I honestly expected this to be a pretty flimsy addition, and I wonder if it wasn't originally conceived as such, but even though the gameplay isn't anything special then I still respected the game enough to 100% it.  A worthy investment of time for people who play Mario RPGs for the story and characterisation.
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 1/23/2018 at 5:35 AM, mayday2592 said:

I had just finished Kirby's Return to Dream Land last night, and  I forgot how fun Kirby can be. The abilities were fun to use and the last few bosses were designed well. Now I can't wait for Star Allies to come out.

I just started a replay of Return to Dream Land tonight. Hopefully I'll have it, Triple Deluxe, and Planet Robobot done in time for Star Allies.

After that, I'm thinking Golf Story. But that's a while from now.

Fate/Grand Order.  Just last week, the game has been under going a "collab" with another Type-MOON product, Garden of Sinners.  Unlike most events in the game, this one has a mission system run by the heroine of the Garden of Sinners,  Shiki Ryougi.

The rest of the game outside of this event has you summoning Heroic Spirits from across history into one of the eight available classes (Saber, Lancer, Archer, Rider, Caster, Assassin, Berserker, Ruler) to save humanity from a premature destruction led by the 72 demons that were sealed in the Ars Goetia.  The most recent chapter 4 takes place in London 1888 when the serial killer Jack the Ripper made their killing spree.  The next chapter will be set in the US in 1783, just after the Treaty of Paris is signed between the former Colonies and Britain, with Florence Nightingale as your main ally.

There was a recent anime adaptation of the prologue with the likes of Kira Buckland and Xander Mobus in the English cast, with Kari Wahlgren, Melissa Fahn, Kaiji Tang, and Tony Oliver reprising their roles from the Unlimited Bladeworks anime.

I had been playing Mario RPG: Legend of the 7 Stars. Someone suggested I should play Mario and Luigi Superstar Saga, anyone know if that's worthwhile?

23 minutes ago, DarkChaosGaming said:

I had been playing Mario RPG: Legend of the 7 Stars. Someone suggested I should play Mario and Luigi Superstar Saga, anyone know if that's worthwhile?

Whether it's the GBA original or the 3DS remake, I highly recommend Superstar Saga, and it's generally a well-regarded game.

• Thumbs Up 1

I've been playing some classic Sonic games this week. Like Sonic 1, Sonic 2 and Sonic 3 & Knuckles. I've not played these games for along time. And brings back a lot of memories.

Bought a crap tonne of games in the Steam sale. Played a bit of Doom, Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice and Devil May Cry 4. I also picked up Hollow Knight and Planet Coaster. Got way too much going on the go though so they might have to wait