Awoo.

Has ASRT made you want to try out other Sega games?

Badnik Mechanic

A confession.

I have never played the following Sega games.

Billy Hatcher,

Burning Rangers.

Skys of Arcadia

and urm... quite a few others.

Now that said, I have played Golden Axe (1 & 2), I played that a lot when I was younger, so I really do like that game, also the STC adaptation was really cool too. I've also played a number of the Afterburner games and I can honestly say that Sumo's afterburner is quite amazing, it just reminds me so much of afterburner climax, the arcade version, actually sat in the seat that moves around as you fly the plane!

When I play the Golden Axe stage, that music kicks in and you pass the giant skelleton and the lava pits with the knights/demons standing watching you, I just keep thinking 'I wanna go to this world!' I want a game with this setting, this music and all this imagery. Then I think, wait... I have been to this world, it's Golden Axe!

Now... the other games, if I'm honest. Sky's of Arcadia, whilst a really really cool stage and I love the battleships, I don't particually have a desire to suddenly find a copy and play it. Same with Billy hatcher...

Burning Rangers on the otherhand... Ok I really want to play this game now! The track itself is really cool, how it slowly floods, but the music, the guys with the jetpacks following you down the track, the music "BURNING RANGERS GO!" I wanna play this game! I don't really know much about it, but this stage really wants me to go find the original material and try it out.

Am I alone with this? Or do any of the stages in ASRT make you want to replay the source material?

• Thumbs Up 8

That god I wasn't the only one, this game makes me really want to play the original NiGHTS, Burning Rangers, Jet Set, Skies ofArcadia, and even some goddamn Monkey Ball.

ASRT makes me realize that Sega does have quite a unique collection of IPs that I really wish would get more use.

The first game made me do this. I got pretty attached to Opa-Opa so I went out got all his games on the Wii's Virtual Console. They're really fucking fun and addicting (though really hard).

Skies of Arcadia has been one I've been wanting to try for a long while, but I'd be lying if I said ASRT hasn't been a major influence. Vyse just looks like a badass, and I want to see him in his own game. They seriously need to port that game already since I heard it's nearly impossible to get it without coughing up some hard cash.

• Thumbs Up 1

ASRT makes me sad, because it reminds me that I totally missed out on Skies due to not having a Dreamcast or enough money to get the Gamecube version :/

I do want to try out After Burner though. It looks quite interesting.

Vyse is slowly becoming one of my all-time favourite characters in all media. His attitude, design, lines and the Skies of Arcadia track are so amazing that I really want to try the game.

I want to try Space Channel 5 too.

I actually wanted to try NiGHTS HD but after unlocking her/him in this game, my desire has decreased greatly. @.@

I've played pretty much everything in Transformed besides Burning Rangers and Skies of Arcadia, after playing Transformed i had to boot up my Saturn to play some Panzer Dragoon, that game is fantastic... I honestly want an up to date re-make of Golden Axe since the Wilderness Song is so Nostalgic to me, i have no desire to play House of the dead, besides in the Arcades with some friends...

As for After Burner, as an owner of the original 2 and turbo editions i'm a massive fan of the series, and to see it get a new game in the series (Climax) was a treat to see here, Already played Sonic & Knuckles and wasn't impressed to see Sky Sanctuary falling for another level after Gens, but it's pretty awesome, I've also played all the OutRun editions, and frequent the OutRun 2 SP editions in arcades so I can honestly say I've played all the series besides Burning Rangers and Skies, Don't think i'd like Skies though as i'm not big on RPG's, although it always looked cool to me as a kid, so who knows?

...Yes, really. I've played Phantasy Zone thanks to Opa-Opa, and the constant appearances by Beat have turned me into a massive JSR fan. I haven't played a good deal of SEGA games represented and want to now.

could be a coincidence, but I went to KMart after I picked up ASRT from Gamestop and I found Vanquish for like, 5 bucks at KMart.... figured why not.

I've played most of the games represented in some capacity, Sonic I've played to death obviously. I've always had Crazy Taxi for the Dreamcast so anytime I see B.D. Joe tearing the track up it puts a huge grin on my face. I got Samba de Amigo Wii due to curiosity thanks to the first game and had a good time with it. I put a little more time into the Bonanza Bros. thanks to liking them in the first game. The Ultimate Genesis Collection has a ton of games represented in these but I never put much time into beating them, just playing them as a novelty. Sometime I really should try and beat them.

Transformed has made me wanna give Afterburner, Panzer Dragoon, Super Monkey Ball, House of the Dead, and especially Burning Rangers a go. It's also made me want to finish Skies of Arcadia, Space Harrier, Fantasy Zone (I miss Opa-Opa), and other such games. I also have Shenmue I and II I've been meaning to get around to...

I've quite the backlog as it is and this game made me wanna play more! Curses.

Edited by Mykonos
  • Thumbs Up 2

I have a bunch of emulated genesis games on my computer like golden axe, ristar, vectorman, and Outrun does that count

I can say with pride that i played all of em. SEGA has been part of my life ever since my birth, and i've been very fanatic with my love for their work.

I'm also proud about SEGA never betraying its roots, otherwise i probably wouldnt have been here. SEGA's identitiy is still strong and this game portrays it stronger than ever

Edited by Djawed
  • Thumbs Up 1

I haven't played Transformed yet, but from the look of the track alone, it's inspired me to hunt down a copy of Panzer Dragoon and give it a shot. That game looks pretty epic.

I've played a lot of the Sega games they included in the game, so for the most part it's a blast from the past, a time when I had millions of fave games. Panzer Dragoon and Burning Rangers being the greatest of those.

I've never played Skies of Arcadia. Nearly picked it up a few months back when I saw it for the Gamecube. But when I went back to get it, it had already been snapped up. I've always wanted to play it as it looks like fun. Outrun, AfterBurner, Samba de Amigo and Super Monkey Ball I haven't played either, unless you count the other all stars games they've appeared in.

I don't know what it is, but I just don't like the designs for Super Monkey Ball.

For those who haven't play Panzer Dragoon or Burning Rangers, you have no idea what you're missing! Burning Ranger is like the god of games to me. It saddens me it is one of the forgotten games, just because of the curse of it being on the sega saturn. I'm keeping my fingers crossed they'll pick this one back up and bring it back to life.

• Thumbs Up 1

Is burning rangers really that great? I have it here and played it only 1 level. I thought it was allright, but the concept didn't really grab me. Does it get better than that? Technically it's amazing though. The controls and visuals are very nice.

Edited by Djawed

I think like with most games it's down to personal taste. For some people they love it, others they might not. Admittedly the graphics look awful now. Very blocky and the fire doesn't look like fire!

After the first level you get different things to deal with and the game gets much harder. The general metal look tends to stay until near the end and you'll have additional problems to deal with, like swimming underwater or getting such out into space! The story also develops more later on in the game, but I won't spoil it for those who want to play it.

I love it because the gameplay is one of the types I enjoy. Some of the other sega games included in this racing game aren't ones I'd choose to play, but that's what makes it so fantastic. It has such a wide variety so you can pick and choose characters you like. You haven't got one genre type that excludes certain gamers, it has a really nice balance.

• Thumbs Up 1

Thanks. Usually when i play my saturn it's mostly just your pick up and play games like panzer dragoon zwei, astal and radiant silvergun.

You made me wanna give burning rangers another shot. Think i havent touched it in years

Edited by Djawed

I've played every game in Transformed, except Billy Hatcher, HotD and Burning Rangers, and sincerely I want to try them out one day.

Actually, yes!

It made me to think about trying Skies of Arcadia. Vyse has a really cool design, I really dig his laugh when he hits someone with an item ("YEAHHAHAHA!!1!") and he seems to have quite an attitude like Sonic. I did not play that many RPGs, but I do enjoy them and I might try out Skies of Arcadia. ASRT did a good job in terms of introducing a game series by its presentation (Tracks, Music).

Now, where do I get a copy of Skies of Arcadia for my Dreamcast?

And actually, ASR had a similar effect on me. I already knew about the Shenmue games through other Sonic/SEGA Fansites, never played them though..

But after playing as Ryo, and witnessing the positive reaction of many Sega Fans about Ryo joining ASR, I bought myself a Dreamcast and Shenmue 1 and 2. Played them, loved them. And for now, I am waiting for an Shenmue 3 as well..Because...Well, they just can't leave such an cliffhanger alone!! Haha =P

EDIT: Oh hey, my 100th post on SSMB. Hooray me! =P

Edited by StrikeEagleAUT

Actually, yes!

It made me to think about trying Skies of Arcadia. Vyse has a really cool design, I really dig his laugh when he hits someone with an item ("YEAHHAHAHA!!1!") and he seems to have quite an attitude like Sonic. I did not play that many RPGs, but I do enjoy them and I might try out Skies of Arcadia. ASRT did a good job in terms of introducing a game series by its presentation (Tracks, Music).

Now, where do I get a copy of Skies of Arcadia for my Dreamcast?

And actually, ASR had a similar effect on me. I already knew about the Shenmue games through other Sonic/SEGA Fansites, never played them though..

But after playing as Ryo, and witnessing the positive reaction of many Sega Fans about Ryo joining ASR, I bought myself a Dreamcast and Shenmue 1 and 2. Played them, loved them. And for now, I am waiting for an Shenmue 3 as well..Because...Well, they just can't leave such an cliffhanger alone!! Haha =P

That is awesome to hear! Shenmue is a fantastic series, and it warms my heart to hear that ASR lead to somebody playing the games. The chase through the building in the second game ranks as one of my top video game moments.

As for Skies of Arcadia, if you have trouble finding the DC version, there is also a Gamecube release. Though I prefer the DC version with the VMU functioning as a treasure hunting device. Plus there is a side-story VMU game that you can play to get unique items. Totally pick this one up, it is a fantastic RPG with some really unique gameplay elements.

---

In response to the topic: I've played every game represented in ASRT in some capacity, but like others have said it does make me want to return to games and finish them. Skies of Arcadia, I have a lot of time logged, but have yet to finish. I might just get some new VMU batteries (for the mini-game) and get back into the game.

As for the first All-Stars game, the one title I never played was Bonanza Bros. Pretty soon, they became my go-to racer so I knew I had to give their game a go. So I played it on the Ultimate Genesis Collection and really enjoyed it! It's a toughie, but a lot of fun. Like Metal Gear Solid combined with Lego.

Edited by Barry the Nomad

Skies GC had extra content, and also, the encounter rate got toned down (in the DC version is WAY to high). Downside is the music was downgraded compared to the DC version.