Awoo.

Metroid: Other M

SuperStingray

This is from Game Informer's preview of the game.

Controlling Samus in Other M involves using a single Wii remote -- no nunchuck or classic controller options are supported. While the game contains classic Metroid-style exploration, the tight corridors often open up into larger rooms that serve as 3d arenas for combat against waves of enemies, In Ninja Gaiden fashion, Samus moves through these areas at an inhuman speed, with the ability to dodge enemy attacks with a well-timed tap of the d-pad. Since buttons on the Wii remote are limited, Samus auto-aims at the closest enemy in front of her. Because of the speed of the combat, however, it's difficult to target a specific bad guy and easy to accidentally face away from the enemy.

Sounds like the auto-aim isn't perfect. And this is what GI thought of the First-Person Gameplay.

Perhaps the biggest surprise of my short time iwth Other M was discovering that it contains a Metroid Prime-esque first-person view that's required to scan items in the environment and shoot missiles. By lifting up the Wii remote and pointing it at the screen, the camera will zoom into Samus' visor, offering a new perspective on your surroundings and the ability to aim freely.

While the sudden switch to first-person was exciting at first, it creates some major problems. Several enemies in the first hour -- including the first boss (a purple tentacle creature) -- require well-timed missile shot to be defeated. Since there is no nunchuck attached to the Wii remote during play, there's also no way to move while in first-person mode. I found it nearly impossible to stomp and aim at an enemy in first-person without getting hit, leading to numerous silly situations where I had to run away from an enemy in circles until I had put enough distance between them to stand still and shoot.

First-person mode also allows Samus to take a more detailed look at her surroundings and scan some items, though scanning appears to be much more limited than in the Metroid Prime series.

Edited by Sinnoh

Ehh, that's kind of depressing. Hopefully later beam upgrades will have enough spread to make that a little more manageable. I was always a little iffy on the first-person thing, though, so the news about that isn't much of a surprise. It's a pity, though; I want this game to be good very badly.

Please please please let it have just been a really bad person playing. Please?

Sounds like they don't know about the lock on. You know, the one shown in the videos?

also they're too slow!!

No seriously, you saw the videos too. That purple monster thing? It looked incredibly easy to shoot at, not to mention it was an easy lock on, and it was frozen in place. They're really slow.

Though I can see the third-person aiming being somewhat of a issue, they'll probably fix up the aiming issues.

• 1 month later...

While the Japanese boxart is better artistically, the American one I can live with.

What bugs me more though is they both convey very different messages... the Japanese one makes it look like the focus is on Samus alone but the American one makes it seem like more people will be heavily involved in the story.

• Thumbs Up 1

While the Japanese boxart is better artistically, the American one I can live with.

What bugs me more though is they both convey very different messages... the Japanese one makes it look like the focus is on Samus alone but the American one makes it seem like more people will be heavily involved in the story.

This game is made to delve more into Samus' background, isn't it? I think it make sense for the American one to show that.

The Japanese one still looks a bit better.

Pretty much the exact opposite of Prime 3's boxart, then. Weird, but I prefer the Japanese version in both cases. Dammit, NoA.

Metroid_Prime_3_Packaging.jpgmetroid013008.jpg

I'm kinda fine with the American Boxart... I dunno, the Japanese one looks kinda like an advertisement to me.

Eh, It's just me I guess.

Though the Japanese Box art for Metrioid Prime 3 does look better than the american Box art.

I don't think boxart really matters when the series barely sells in that region. Hell, maybe they're making it eye-popping to try and get those Japanese to look away from their cellphones for a second.

Edited by Hero Of Fate

I don't really like either boxart, but then again I usually don't care about boxart anyway, unless it's either extremely good or extremely bad.

Why does Japan always get the better boxart?

America

51ASxvEprbL._SS400_.jpg

Japan

B002C1ARJY.01._SCRMZZZZZZ_.jpg

Unfortunately here in the west these days they like to "play it safe" with cover art and posters and such. As a professional graphic designer it really irritates me, but from a business point of view it makes sense really. The Japanese art (which is excellent, I love the halftoning) it's good if you know of the game, however the western art captures the attention of the non-internet using Metroid fan and the general game fan looking for some kind of space-adventure.

It's the same with movie posters, they've become really really mundane, normally with simple photographs of the cast put together and, hell, not much else. Where's my idol Saul Bass when you need him? If I could bring one person back to life...

Oh, as for the game, I'm sure it'll be cool, I'm looking forward to seeing a proper storyline with Samus in, seeing her in cut-scenes, hearing her speak, getting to know her as a character more. I always loved the stuff I read in the opening scenes of the old games, and in the instruction manuals and stuff, it'll be great to see that universe come to life. I'm really cautious though, the whole "we're gonna use the d-pad, even though there's a perfectly good analog stick available" thing really bothers me, and if I'm truly honest I'd have preferred another Metroid Prime to a platformer.

Edited by DistantJ

I was going to say I like the japanese one more, but than I noticed the characters on the US one are handdrawn and not CGI, so I like it more. Also I don't like Samus' CGI face on the japanese one..

Oh, and according to amazon.co.uk the game is comng out on the 31st of August, and not on the 3rd of September

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nintendo-RVLPR3OE-Metroid-Other-Wii/dp/B002BSC4ZS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1278671708&sr=8-1

I was going to say I like the japanese one more, but than I noticed the characters on the US one are handdrawn and not CGI, so I like it more. Also I don't like Samus' CGI face on the japanese one..

Oh, and according to amazon.co.uk the game is comng out on the 31st of August, and not on the 3rd of September

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nintendo-RVLPR3OE-Metroid-Other-Wii/dp/B002BSC4ZS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1278671708&sr=8-1

It's 31st August in America I believe, but definitely 3rd September in Europe. Nintendo themselves announced that just a couple of days ago, so that's undoubtedly the official release date.

Anyway, I don't believe I've shared my thoughts on the game yet. It looks great - good to see some 2D sidescrolling Metroid action on a console and the greater emphasis on action and story is something that I welcome (as long as Samus doesn't end up being an intergalactic genie who was created by a mad professor from the blood of an evil alien).

The first person stuff worries me slightly still and I would have much preferred there to be Nunchuk support, just to make things easier. But I trust in Nintendo to iron out any problems - there's never been a truly bad Metroid game before now, so I don't see them wanting to damage the franchise's reputation... especially with Team Ninja on board.

Speaking of Team Ninja, you just know there's going to be a level with Zero Suit Samus jiggle physics :P The game hasn't got a 16+ rating for nothing, I bet.

Personally I think the US boxart is revolting. It makes Metroid seem like a generic adventure game that doesn't want to try anything different (which is false), it just completely fails at feeling "Metroid" in the slightest. Even the Prime games did a far better job with boxarts.

Really hope Europe doesn't get stuck with that boxart. The Japanese one I vastly prefer, but maybe Europe will get something completely different.

I don't know about revolting but it sure isn't anything special. Especially since the floating people in space with multiple Samus thing was just done with the Prime 3 cover art.

Edited by speedfreak

revolting

Dude you use such strong words for such mundane things. When something genuinely awful comes along yer not gonna have any words left.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

Why am I the only one that thinks the Japanese Box art is so boring?! It reminds me so much of an Advert rather than an ordinary cover! D: The American one is okay, but it's nothing special.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to this game. It looks like a nice departure prime series, (though I thought prime was pretty fun) and I kinda like how it's incorperating the classic with prime.

• Thumbs Up 1

Dude you use such strong words for such mundane things. When something genuinely awful comes along yer not gonna have any words left.

Eugh, not this again. As much as I'd like to see this thread get a little more activity, starting another three-page argument about nothing isn't exactly the ideal way to achieve it. No offence intended, of course. Movin' on.

The gameplay and the story are still up in the air for me, although they both look very promising, but one thing I can state without reservation that I love about this game is that Samus' Power Suit is actually yellow and red again instead of the shades of orange from the Prime games. It's nice to see Samus lookin' classic again, particularly after the bland PED Suit.

Edited by Octarine

Hey.

Question.

Do we know if this game has the Scan Visor? Because I'll be very disappointed if any Metroid game ever leaves that out. It's amazing.

America

51ASxvEprbL._SS400_.jpg

It sure is nice of M.Bison to make a cameo there. And from that angle he's drawn at, you can even see what he's about to say!

To be honest, it isn't terrible. It's not nearly as stylish as the Japanese box art, but it could be a lot worse.

At this point though, I couldn't care less. Picking apart something so trivial isn't worth the effort.

• Thumbs Up 2

Eugh, not this again. As much as I'd like to see this thread get a little more activity, starting another three-page argument about nothing isn't exactly the ideal way to achieve it. No offence intended, of course. Movin' on.

Hey what's all this crap about 'three-page arguments?'. I'm just saying it's a strong word for box art. I mean it's naff compared to the Japanese one sure but it's stupid to use such words. I think that and I'm allowed to say that, whether people choose to turn that into an argument (which would be pretty damn stupid) or not.

Why am I the only one that thinks the Japanese Box art is so boring?!

You're not. I could have made that boxart in a matter of minutes and that's exactly why I don't care for it.

Anyway, Other M. Made by Team Ninja. I fucking love Team Ninja, so I'll probably love this game.

• Thumbs Up 1