Awoo.

Metroid: Other M

SuperStingray

At first I thought it was a new Kid Icarus game because Reggie said it was an old IP and because the beginning scene involved the camera zooming through the clouds. Then, when I saw those spaceships blowing up, my friend (who recorded E3 on his DVR) is like "Yeeeeaaahhhh, definitely not Kid Icarus".

Boy, was I wrong. :P

I'm really so-so on the Metroid franchise as a whole. I love the franchise, but it never stuck out above my other favs such as Sonic, DMC, Ratchet and Clank, Jak, etc.

But after seeing this trailer, I'm on the verge of having a heart attack on the sheer action and visuals the game shows. And Team Ninja is in this...that was an unexpected surprise to me.

And Samus speaking? Don't really know about that...I'd say it's a good thing because characters who are silent come across as bland too me, but I'll see how it works before passing judgement on that part.

My verdict: I've never been this anticipated on a game till this moment. I'm seriously jumping up and down my living room at this moment at the surpise from this whole thing. It was obvious a new Metroid title would come out, but not like this (to me anyway). I'm really looking foward to this.

Wow, a lot of Metroid "meh" people here...

I, for one, LOVE the Metroid series, and from that standpoint...

...I can't wait either. Now, I am a little concerned as to how the upgrade will be handled, as well as the morph ball, puzzle solving, and exploration...and honestly, without exploration of even a slightest amount, it just wouldn't be Metroid....

The sheer AWESOMENESS however...has me feeling it could turn out between fine or awesome, so I'm okay about it...

...oh fine, you want my real response?

...OMG YES NEW METROID OMG ADAM OMG CLASSIC PIRATES WAS THAT SPEED BOOSTER RIDLEY HAND TO HAND OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG YEEEEEEESSSSSS. *explode*

Edited by Roffles

Wow, a lot of Metroid "meh" people here...

I've been a fan since I picked up Prime. Haven't played much of the classics though....

And Samus speaking? Don't really know about that...I'd say it's a good thing because characters who are silent come across as bland too me, but I'll see how it works before passing judgement on that part.

Some of Nintendo's muted characters make since to me, such as Link. He can avoid several cliches by not opening his mouth. Samus is quite original and never needed to be muted to me, so I'll be glad if she finally gets a voice.

On a different note, I sure got a ton of millage on that Taunt/Talk button in Prince of Persia. Voice acting is never a bad thing if they sound alright and have interesting/funny things to say.

Edited by ZAPDOS

I've never been able to get into the 2D Metroids, but I loved the Prime Trilogy. This looks like it'll be the best of both worlds PLUS new stuff too, so I'm game.

I'm loving the pre-rendered cut-scenes and voice acting too. It's not something I'd want in Zelda or Mario, but Prime (especially 3) always felt like it was begging to get the "movie production values" treatment.

Even if this means a less explorative Metroid, I think it'll make a nice break for a Nintendo franchise to go for story and style over "pure" gameplay. Zelda refuses to do any more than 50/50, and it'd never work for Mario. Starfox Assault was fine but the story wasn't quite gripping enough. I think if Kid Icarus ever returns, the freshness would allow them to do something like this too.

Edited by JezMM

Super Mother Brain is in the trailer, so it's confirmed anyway.

Also, I had heard ideas that this may be a Metroid Chronicles before, but I hate the sound of that... thankfully it looks like there are also lots of new plot points. Things will be filled in, including Adam's death I assume, how Samus first became a bounty hunter like that. Also there are tons of new bosses from the looks of things. I can't imagine it being as bad as Resident Evil Chronicles "rehashed plot"wise.

I LOVED the last three 2D Metroid games (Super, Fusion, Zero Mission), but the first two Prime games didn't appeal to me because they were so confusing and overblown. But conversely, I think that Metroid Prime 3 is the single best game on the Wii. Now we are getting ANOTHER METROID TITLE for the Wii, and it's using a completely different system after Prime 3 perfected it's style.

Still, I have high hopes for this game. Especially how it seems to be more plot oriented than the previous games. I loved Fusion's storyline (although not it's lack of a "skip-cutscene" option) and had expected the Metroid games to continue in this fashion, but they seemed to take the opposite route until Prime 3.

Also, some of that combat looks just amazing. Especially that move where she grabbed the space pirates(?) head in a choke hold, flipped him over in the air, and then blasted his head in with a charge shot.

Unlike what a few people have said here, I don't think the game is separated into 2-D sections and First Person sections. I'm going to say that the game opporates mainly in a 3rd person perspective, with the camera sometimes moving to the side in order to capture the action better. Think of the camera in Ninja Gaiden DS; it changes to show you the best possible view of the action at all times. I don't know what to say about the first person footage we were shown; I'm guessing you press a button and you go into that mode, rather than the game automatically switching to it at set points.

Finally, who else thought of the old Sonic comic "Other-M" as soon as they saw the end of the trailer? I know I did.

To begin with, it took me a while to get used to the new style they've chosen for the game. Must've been from playing the Metroid Prime games too much. But now I'm loving what we've seen of this game so far, after I realised how similar it looks to the older 2D games :) It should make a cracking change from Prime, seeing the series go back to the 2D third person gameplay from the originals. Let's just hope they'll include a spot of exploration in there to keep the rest of the Metroid fans happy

I'm still trying to comprehend how it's going to play from that trailer.

Interesting take on samus- personally i think Team Ninja's character designers have improve, looks less plasticky then DOA

I've never really played much of the Metroid series before. Just The NES original and Super Metroid. The Primes don't really look like my type of game, not to say they're bad, just not mah thang.

This game's pretty cool lokking so far, so I'm considering getting it when it comes out. But if it really is story driven I'm worried I'll be kinda lost as I don't know much about the Metroid storyline. But seeing as it's a prequel that shouldn't be too much of a problem.

wait...when was stated that it was a sequel? (please don't call me an idiot...I can't remember Metroid storyline that much)

It quite obviously is set across all 4 Metroid titles. You have kid Samus at the beginning, you have Mother Brain and the Super Metroid, and you have the BSL near the beginning too, implying a connection to Metroid Fusion (other than Adam)

New game looks pretty great and all, but being new to the Metroid franchise, I think I'll get the Prime Trilogy for the Wii first.

But if it really is story driven I'm worried I'll be kinda lost as I don't know much about the Metroid storyline. But seeing as it's a prequel that shouldn't be too much of a problem.

The Prime series did pretty well in explaining every little detail that you needed to know. The scan visor gave you as much information (or as little) as you wanted. There was something to learn everywhere if you took the time to scan stuff and it really helped you to understand Samus's world in each game. The new one may be much more action oriented, but I'm sure that they'll do something to keep newcomers informed.

The Prime series did pretty well in explaining every little detail that you needed to know. The scan visor gave you as much information (or as little) as you wanted. There was something to learn everywhere if you took the time to scan stuff and it really helped you to understand Samus's world in each game. The new one may be much more action oriented, but I'm sure that they'll do something to keep newcomers informed.

I really liked the scanning, it made me feel like I was uncovering the secrets of the game world all on my own, dusting off the Chozo's lore and finding secret Pirate data of my own accord instead of being fed the story via cut scenes as most games do.

I really liked the scanning, it made me feel like I was uncovering the secrets of the game world all on my own, dusting off the Chozo's lore and finding secret Pirate data of my own accord instead of being fed the story via cut scenes as most games do.

Agreed. The scanner let you take in things at your own pace. I for one made it a priority to scan everything in the game to learn as much as I could. Just about all the data you could collect was interesting and some of it was even funny. The monsters, the lures and the data files were not vital to the story, but certainly cleared some stuff up and were a good read.

I'd be sad to see it go if its not included in this new game. Surprising how far I've come seeing as I absolutely despised the scan visor in the begging of Prime 1 before I knew of its potential. I thought it was going to be a cheap gimmick to extend the gameplay and provide hints, boy was I wrong.

1Up had an interview with some of the guys working on the game. They reiterated that it was set between Super Metroid and Metroid Fusion (so it's Metroid 3.5?)

And here it is!

http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?pager.of...174587&p=44

They also talk about the guy who says "remember me?" a little bit. He's not appeared in a Metroid game before, I'm pretty sure of that. Unless he was a obscure background character? (Kinda like how 2 of the Red Wings soldiers from FFIV turned out to be Biggs and Wedge)

1Up had an interview with some of the guys working on the game. They reiterated that it was set between Super Metroid and Metroid Fusion (so it's Metroid 3.5?)

And here it is!

http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?pager.of...174587&p=44

Just been finishing up reading the interview. Thanks for giving us the link to it, Jirachi. Seems like I was right about them wanting to make the game more like the 2D classic ones (Fusion, in particular). And it's good to know that they'll still be including some exploration to keep us satisfied - you just can't have a Metroid game without being able to blaze your own trail at one point or the other!

I love the Metroid series. My favorite Metroid game is Super Metroid, with Metroid Prime 3 coming in at a close second. I haven't played Prime 1 or 2 unfortunately (I'm probably the only person who hasn't played them :(), but I'm going to get Prime 1 for the Gamecube (not getting the Wii remake because I can get Prime 1 and 2 for $5 each on Gamecube at Gamestop, and our Wii has been acting up lately, and I barely play the Wii).

I can't wait for this game though, it's going to be awesome.

I saw the trailer, and it does look amazing! I especially like that cutscene they show. Really beautiful. ^.^

Of course I haven't played alot of Metroid games (played Super Metroid but found it quite tough to play D: ) nor any of the Prime ones, but I'm waiting for the trilogy release that's coming out for the Wii. If I really like those, then I will definitely check this one out once it's released. >:3

"Project "Dread" is nearing its completion."

XD Yeah right!

The trailer was amazing, XD

I couldn't actually make out what the gameplay was like, because the part where she froze the alien and when she was shooting the mosquito things (I no hablo metroid) looked completely different. Either way, gah, so many good looking games coming out this fall/winter, so little time.