Awoo.

Metroid: Other M

SuperStingray

I saw the trailer, and it does look amazing! I especially like that cutscene they show. Really beautiful. ^.^

Of course I haven't played alot of Metroid games (played Super Metroid but found it quite tough to play D: ) nor any of the Prime ones, but I'm waiting for the trilogy release that's coming out for the Wii. If I really like those, then I will definitely check this one out once it's released. >:3

Nice to know I'm not the only one who hasn't played Prime 1 and 2. I'm planning on getting them for GC though, not Wii.

I came.

I mean DAMN. That was simply beautiful. It looks like they took Super Metroid, bumped it up to 3-D, and made Samus able to move in all directions and use the best moves I have ever seen.

Not to mention that Short-Hair Samus is the coolest thing ever. Really.

I also like how they fused the Varia Suit and the Power Suit together like that, looks wonderful.

Insta-buy. Insta fucking buy.

PLEASE GOD NO! I want this game so bad!

Wouldn't matter to me; I can officially buy M-rated games by myself in exactly 37 days. :)

Wouldn't matter to me; I can officially buy M-rated games by myself in exactly 37 days. :)

People actually enforce that?

I've been buying games myself since I was a little kid and no one has ever tried to stop me from the more violent tittles. In fact, I look young for 20, so I'm surprised I've never gotten any flack for it.

The M Rated stuff is BS. When people hear "Project M" they make all sorts of silly assumptions. I wouldn't worry about getting to play it, I still assume it'll get a T/12+ at the most. Possibly a 16+ in Europe.

People only want it to be M because they think "Oh wow Metroid is going mature I can finally play it without my friends laughing at me even though I'm only 11!"

Looks kind of cool. Won't beat Prime though.

Why not?

:P Nah, I think people want it M-rated so they can see Zero Clothes Samus.

Good point. I certainly wouldn't complain. ;)

Not to mention that this would be Team Ninja Samus.

We have the internet for that.

I've been buying games myself since I was a little kid and no one has ever tried to stop me from the more violent tittles. In fact, I look young for 20, so I'm surprised I've never gotten any flack for it.
What store have you been going to? Every time I tried to get Mass Effect, they make me put it back.

There really do need to be enforcable penalties for people selling titles rated for certain ages and over to anyone under those ages.

• 7 months later...

Been a bit quiet on the Other M front lately, as the devs beaver away and we all get on with the other big releases of Winter 09/10. Here's some fresh news, however:

Nintendo has re-confirmed to G4 that Metroid: Other M will see a release this year. The game, being developed in collaboration with Team Ninja, was announced for 2010 last year at E3. Never hurts to retread old ground.“The next highly anticipated offering in the Metroid franchise is Metroid: Other M, which will be available this year,” a rep told the site.This now means the company expects to launch new games in their three biggest IPs – Super Mario Galaxy 2, new Zelda Wii and Other M – this year: hot potato if you’re a Wii owner.

http://www.vg247.com/2010/01/13/nintendo-re-confirms-2010-release-for-metroid-other-m/

Due this year, and confirmed again. Here's hoping for a new trailer and a playable demo at E3 this year.

• 3 weeks later...

I like it because it's not Metroid. It tells me this this is going to be a real departure, something deeper.

'Deep' and 'Metroidy Music' aren't mutually exclusive elements, SuperLink. In this particular series I find the soundtrack - traditional jingles here 'n there, returning tracks, quality new stuff in the familiar style, that kinda stuff - to be an important element of the proceedings, and I remain hopeful that Team Ninja hasn't neglected that in the game proper.

'Deep' and 'Metroidy Music' aren't mutually exclusive elements, SuperLink. In this particular series I find the soundtrack - traditional jingles here 'n there, returning tracks, quality new stuff in the familiar style, that kinda stuff - to be an important element of the proceedings, and I remain hopeful that Team Ninja hasn't neglected that in the game proper.

I agree. It's interesting to see the new fighting style, but I hope it doesn't ultimately replace exploration with fancy martial arts.

I said it elsewhere when the trailer was shown but I am still going to go by it:

I think Metroid Other M will have a surprisingly deep and emotional story, in fact as suggested by the first trailer (and now the website) I think Samus is fighting with some inner ghosts. Samus is just human but this has never been explored in the series, and I think this game is going to explore that, after Super Metroid she killed the closest thing she's ever had to a child who sacrificed itself for her, lots of the guys we see in the trailer we know are going to die, I think the game will have a lot of action and intensity, but I think deeper than that we will see a side of Samus we haven't seen.

Also this is my own personal theory, but I think this game is going to first seem like a prequel to Fusion, but for some reason I am thinking it will be an alternate reality in vein of the Star Trek movie maybe? I don't mean a rip-off, but something about this all makes me think of split timeline... Hard to say and I can't really push back any facts to prove myself right, just my own little theory and I'll see how it goes.

Looks awesome. Only Metroid game I've played is Prime 1 and I haven't finished it yet, but it looks like a series I can get into, as I fucking love Metroid Prime. Some people seem to just be like "oh no fps" when it's not even that much about shooting compared to scanning, finding items, exploring, platforming and whatnot. I don't have a Wii though =/

On a side note, Samus's voice is hot ._. and the art is incredible too. It'd be disappointing if it was just combat though and less emphasis on exploration. I like how it's a bit more plot driven as well, and speaking roles and whatnot, fits the style it'll probably have, a much more actiony style rather than the isolation of other Metroid games (I've seen footage of some of the 2D ones and whatnot, will get round to playing them after I finish Prime, and I'll eventually buy Prime 2 as well - too many other games to play too ._.).

EDIT: Yes I'm a newcomer to Metroid, but I have been doing my research as it interests me quite a bit as a series!

Edited by Semi-colon e

It's clear to me they're taking a different approach this time around, maybe making the game focus more on Samus herself, and less about the world around her. I really don't see the problem with the emotional music?

Every major series is allowed a departure or a few. When it comes to big franchises, Mario has done it, Sonic has done just about everything. Final Fantasy has done it. For all we know this could just be that exception. I don't think the game is going to lose the Metroid feel, is everyone forgetting who exactly is heading the project? The man who made every great Metroid game so far.

I love it. When Nintendo sticks too close to a games formula (Zelda) fans bitch. Yet when they shake things up a bit (Metroid) fans still bitch. Damned if you do and damned if you don't. Metroid Other M may not be exactly like Super Metroid but I'm 100% sure it will be a fantastic game.

Also I'm sure it will still have the Metroid feel overall.

• Thumbs Up 1

The MOM thing could be that the woman at the end of the trailer looked QUITE A BIT like Samus's mom in the manga. There are millions of things for speculation.

Also Mother Brain is not only obvious, they showed her in the trailer. Chances are it's more like a Metroid family or something that nobody knew about. Depends on when the game takes place, really. (Couldn't take place between Super and Fusion, as only one known Metroid was around, and it died, nor II because Super came directly afterwards.)

Edited by Nathan Speed

Well from interviews with the head-guy, apparantly it is between Super and Fusion.

There could well be scenes and things from before and after though.

Also I agree with speedfreak. I'd love to see more Nintendo franchises taking drastic departures.

Can anyone imagine a Mario game with a teaser website like that? ;)