Awoo.

Metroid: Other M

SuperStingray

Welp, I just beat the extra boss.

Wow, I think I remember seeing this thing from Super Metroid, and if I was more attached the the game I'm sure I would have flipped a few lids.

I take it it's just a bonus boss, no particular story relevance? Still a fucking awesome easter egg, and a very fun battle!

EDIT: And of course, a Metroid game wouldn't be complete without the evacuation sequence!!

:D

Yep.

It's Phantoon, from Super (Atleast he's harder)

Okay, I read some reviews saying that Samus was 'chickified' so I watched a walkthrough and honestly, what on Earth are they talking about. I'm sorry, Samus never was Master Chief with breasts and thank God! I think reviewers should keep their petty ass views of "female empowerment" out of characters because showing emotion is not a weakness and having an emotional character is realistic. Yes, Samus has issues. Yes, Samus is freaking out after killing a guy, destroying the planet that he was on, and him appearing in front of her. I hardly think its fair for this game to be judged because some reviewer wants his/her character to be seen as emotionally recluse.

People that are complaining about her taking orders from men are ignoring the fact that this is standard military protocol(Taking orders from authority figures that is). Hell, Zero took orders from Ciel, a 14 year old teenaged girl who had little to no military expertise, and some dude who could be easily mistaken for a chick wearing pink all through the Zero series. Did anybody complain? No.

I honestly think anybody who believes that it was sexist and demeaning needs to re-evaluate their views of what is sexism and what is not.

Edited by turbojet

I don't think it was very sexist at all, even coming from Team Ninja.

However, just because it wasn't sexist doesn't mean it wasn't demeaning. The portrayal is off, she's completely different to how she's portrayed in the rest of the franchise, as a cool calm and collected type who always thinks on her feet and does what's best for the situation at hand.

Oh man this game gets better and better. Just got into Sector 2, that mahoosiv lava boss in Sector 3 was frickin' epic... I have to admit though, as sensible as the whole "no upgrades until I authorise them" thing sounds, you can't help but think that Adam is a douchebag for not letting you use the Varia Suit until after all of the sections with health-depleting heat and burning magma.

Git.

I don't think it was very sexist at all, even coming from Team Ninja.

However, just because it wasn't sexist doesn't mean it wasn't demeaning. The portrayal is off, she's completely different to how she's portrayed in the rest of the franchise, as a cool calm and collected type who always thinks on her feet and does what's best for the situation at hand.

Dude, you just beat the game. You should know why she acts differently in Fusion now. Before Fusion she had no personality, so I don't know what you're on about.

Dude, you just beat the game. You should know why she acts differently in Fusion now. Before Fusion she had no personality, so I don't know what you're on about.

She didn't exactly act like an emotional wreck in Zero Mission either.

She still snuck into that Mothership and blew it to pieces without hesitation (OR her Power Suit), and that was her first bloody mission.

So wait...

That's a clone of Ridley? And it evolved from that little white thingy? Well I never.

This game continues to surprise and amaze me :P

Before Fusion she had no personality, so I don't know what you're on about.

That doesn't change anything in relation to this game. Surely there is a better game in the series to have Samus stop showing stoicism and start freaking out when facing a constantly recurring enemy than what is explicitly the penultimate game in the series.

Edited by Tornado

Anyone for delicious high quality close-ups of Samus to celebrate the game's release? :P

samus1.png

Okay I'm seriously freaked out at the moment Samus looks like my ex girlfriend Sian in that image 0_o damn.

Anyway I got the game on Friday but it was quite funny though how I got the game though, I got denied getting Metroid Other M at Asda cause the women behind the till didn't believe that I was over 16 years old when I clearly am and look it but I went back to the same Asda later on in the again and another guy who served me didn't ask me anything and was on my way home (well My mates house matts for few hours then home) so at least I got my Metriod game =). Never been denied a game rated 16 before even when I was younger than 16 I found it quite amusing.

I'm enjoying the game a lot, I didn't have high hopes for the game and was unsure to get the game or not but I really like it alot I hope they make more Metriod games like this in the future (as well more FPS Metroid I love Prime 3 still need to finish that off) but I don't have anything really bad to say besides the D-pad can be annoying at times and I wish you could move while in first person mode would of been useful when fighting instead of standing there like a idiot lol =) still can't believe I got denied getting the game though stupid bitch at Asda XD.

Edited by Shaddix

I'm dissapointed at this game.

First off, they could done better with Samus voice. True it's not the worse VA ever, but it's a voice you have to get use to (for me anyway). Another thing, the story, even though it was predictable, started off interesting, but as things unfold that same interest became dull. I understand Samus being emotional in some situations, like Adam going through the door to deal with the Metroids. That was an emotinal situation, and she was losing someone that was like a father to her. However, they could have done better with her incounter with Ridley. The final boss wasn't all that enjoyable. I don't know why, but I was really hoping that Ridley would be the last boss, and they would have a explination for his escape.

I didn't get the feeling this was a Metroid game, but I did find the gameplay to be beautiful. Which is probably why this game got high ratings.

That doesn't change anything in relation to this game. Surely there is a better game in the series to have Samus stop showing stoicism and start freaking out when facing a constantly recurring enemy than what is explicitly the penultimate game in the series.

Except, you know, in those games her "child" didn't die right before said mortal enemy showing up after supposedly being dead because he exploded into bits, then said bits exploded again when the planet exploded. The scene was over the top, yes, typical Japanese melodrama, but it's not completely out the question when you take Super Metroid into account.

A.C., I don't know what you were expecting because:

The game directly following Other M shows that Ridley is dead as shit, just an empty husk. They had to explain how that happened somehow.

Edited by Hero Of Fate

A.C., I don't know what you were expecting because:

The game directly following Other M shows that Ridley is dead as shit, just an empty husk. They had to explain how that happened somehow.

What I should've written down was that I don't believe they did him any justice. I was really hoping they would, at the least, made another clone. Better yet, they could have made a way for him to epscape, like smashing through the wall. Then later on you have the privilege to finish him off. When Adam told Samus he had to finsish off Ridley, I was waiting for us the fight it out.

I loved all that, because it was a twist that showed us we were dealing with a threat much bigger than Ridley.

Plus, it now fits perfectly with Ridley's presence in Fusion. Ridley had all the life drained from him, and he was frozen in the BSL to prevent rotting.

If Ridley wasn't finished off in that way, how would you have gotten him to the BSL and frozen him?

I also liked the foreshadowing they did with Nightmare. Did you notice even after you defeated him the second time he continued to lie on the floor motionless? Then when you come back before the ship's destruction you'll find that he's gone. The Federation sure does love to do stupid things.

She does freak out. In a completely different way. She goes completely ballistic fucking nuts on him and then watches him burn to death without batting an eyelid. She screws him up the ass and makes him her bitch, and then smiles as he dies.

Samus is not a calm person, she's very emotional, she just hasn't talked much until now.

Even in Prime 3, she tries desperately to stop Dark Samus from absorbing that robot dude (god what is his name) and has to turn away because she can't watch the same happen to Gandraya. Even the beginning of the game showed that she was a little scared of Dark Samus.

She wasn't even calm in Fusion after she found out about the SA-X having multiplied.

Speedfreak:

Sometimes the most adorable is the most deadly, hurrr. Really, though, I suppose it has some form of benefit. Not much is going to notice a small fluffy thing that's barely larger than a mouse.

Edited by Hero Of Fate

Finally beat the REAL ending. (Damn final boss was harder to reach than to beat.) I loved how there was a throwback boss to all four Metroid games.

Ridley from Metroid 1(ZM) (I'm counting it from there because that's where he debuted,) Queen Metroid from Metroid 2, Phantoon from Super Metroid and Nightmare from Metroid Fusion.

Also, was that fuzzy thing that attacked you in Sector 1 really a young Ridley? I heard that a few times elsewhere, but I didn't see anything ingame that explicitly said it.

Also, was that fuzzy thing that attacked you in Sector 1 really a young Ridley? I heard that a few times elsewhere, but I didn't see anything ingame that explicitly said it.

Likely should mark that with spoilers, buut...

Yes, it was Ridley. The cutscene where you meet MJ in the lab and she tells Samus she's Madeline. When talking of the things like Metroids and all that they bring up Ridley. I could explain it but this likely will do a better job:

But the white chick thing is I guess Ridley's "baby" form or something like that, which evolves into that purple lizard/chicken-thing Samus briefly fights, and then it turns into the Ridley we know,. It leaves each form like an insect though and leaves it's former "Shell" out as it's new body to then grow until it grows and leaves it's "shell" for a new body to grow. It's actually quite interesting and kinda' makes sense since they say reptiles and birds have a lot in common and kinda' backwards off the scientific theory that birds evolved from dinosaurs.

Edited by Dusk the Alan Wake Keeper

Ridley starts out as the small bird thing, yeah. Then he grows bigger and more lizard like, and attacks Samus once, but escapes. Apparently his species goes from small birds to large dragons.

Which is kinda neat to know.

I think.

Just a quick query for those who have completed the game...

After defeating the "true" final boss, can you go back and explore the Bottle Ship to find any items you may have missed? Or do you have to collect them all before taking on Phantoon?

It's just I don't want to dive headlong into the boss fight if I can't go back later for all the goodies.

Thanks ;)

I also liked the foreshadowing they did with Nightmare. Did you notice even after you defeated him the second time he continued to lie on the floor motionless? Then when you come back before the ship's destruction you'll find that he's gone. The Federation sure does love to do stupid things.

Yeah I loved that too, plus Ridley's frozen lifeless self was gone. Connecting the dots whey~

I personally loved the fuzzy thing and Ridley's evolution. As far as I'm concerned he's never been interesting before, and a creep rebirth is just the kind of thing to justify yet another appearance from him.

@ MK

Like in most Metroids you go back to the entrance and can fully explore to your desire, and you can fight the final boss (Phantoon in this case) whenever you like.

She wasn't even calm in Fusion after she found out about the SA-X having multiplied.

THAT'S NUTS. 10 fully powered and equipped versions of yourself who are all currently MUCH STRONGER THAN YOU is nothing to get a bit scared about. Samus is such an emotional wreck in Fusion.

However, it's perfectly okay to flip out about a space dragon you've beaten 5 times before and killed twice. Right.

Samus is not a calm person, she's very emotional, she just hasn't talked much until now.

Yeaaaah, um she's pretty fucking calm in old school metroid/super metroid, trhese neq age games amking her all vunerable and shit don't fly with me.

characterisation in this game sounds shitty.

• Thumbs Up 1

Old School Metroid didn't have cutscenes, except for maybe Super. Also, in Super let's not forget she gets emotional about the baby metroid, and this is the game afterwards. It's no wonder she may be a little emotionally brittle.