Awoo.

Metroid: Other M

SuperStingray

Yeaaaah, um she's pretty fucking calm in old school metroid/super metroid, trhese neq age games amking her all vunerable and shit don't fly with me.

characterisation in this game sounds shitty.

Maybe that's because for the most part old school Metroid doesn't have any characterization.

Edit: Also are Nintendo saying that the Prime games aren't canon anymore with this?

http://www.gonintendo.com/viewstory.php?id=134762#comment-section

Edited by speedfreak

Maybe that's because for the most part old school Metroid doesn't have any characterization.

Edit: Also are Nintendo saying that the Prime games aren't canon anymore with this?

http://www.gonintendo.com/viewstory.php?id=134762#comment-section

Idk, they still very easily fit into the canon between Metroid 1 and 2, with little/no chance of contradictions or plotholes. I think Retro were careful about that.

I wouldn't worry about it really.

Continuitists are going to throw a fit over that, even though it should easily fit in anywhere before Super Metroid.

Edited by Columind

Doesn't Samus say that Other M is her first mission with the GF since her rookie days? That would make MP3 impossible. Unless I should just shrug it off to poor story planning.

Edited by speedfreak

Doesn't Samus say that Other M is her first mission with the GF since her rookie days? That would make MP3 impossible. Unless I should just shrug it off to poor story planning.

Maybe she considers herself a rookie in the Prime days? Haha.

Anyway, I'm stuck on 98% items. The last two missile tanks are in plain sight, but I have no frikking clue how to get them.

One is in Sector 1, in one of the last rooms, and the other is in the Bioweapon Research Center.

Brb pulling hair out.

EDIT: Okay 100%'d it finally.

No speedrun unlockables? Now I'm bored.

tumblr_l8bp5kagt51qbzr50.gif

EDIT: On Prime's canonicity again:

If Samus did take orders in Prime 3, then perhaps Prime isn't canon afterall :/ she mentions in Fusion that she had only ever taken orders once before, under Adam.

Agh idk.

Edited by SuperLink

I'll always see Prime as canon. There's just no reason it shouldn't be. It's its own storyarc, but it fits well into its spot in the timeline.

If Samus did take orders in Prime 3, then perhaps Prime isn't canon afterall :/ she mentions in Fusion that she had only ever taken orders once before, under Adam.

Agh idk.

But didn't Samus take orders SEVERAL times under Adam?

Continuitists are going to throw a fit over that, even though it should easily fit in anywhere before Super Metroid.

Before Metroid II actaully. Metroids other than the hatchling still exist in the story arc without consequence, so it wouldn't make sense if it happened after the mission to eradicate them.

Even if they don't fit perfectly any more I'm just going to say the Prime games are canon.

Anyway I've collected every item and took care of the true final boss. The last part was a great.

This was easily one of my favorite Metroid games. I liked the story, voice acting, and the controls worked MUCH better then I thought they would. I loved it and I hope we get a "Metroid 5" in the same style with some refinements sooner rather then later.

Oh, and I guess it's okay to ask this here. Does anyone know what was up with the ending to Prime 3? Who was that following Samus? Was retro going to do another, but it got canned or something?

idn't Samus take orders SEVERAL times under Adam?

She did, she said she has only ever served under Adam before the AI in Fusion.

But didn't Samus take orders SEVERAL times under Adam?

This sounds so dirty.

@ SuperLink, I was directing my comment towards you and I definitely understand the camp you are defending. However, I despise reviews such as this. This is despicable. Sexism is everywhere but in this game. In otherwords, don't watch music videos where women are naked almost all the time. Ignore women getting nanny cammed at work. Just turn your back at the thought of women getting equal rights and priveliges. Just fuck it and say that she was being submissive by showing emotion and that makes her weak. Sorry, didn't this lady just stick her arm cannon in a dragon's mouth and blow it's fucking head off with a look a passion and unbridled fury? Didn't she round up the resolve to kill hordes of monsters? Yeah, she did because she was emotional and did give a damn. Master Chief can rot for I care. Samus was as awesome as ever in this game.

• Thumbs Up 1

SuperLink, I was directing my comment towards you and I definitely understand the camp you are defending. However, I despise reviews such as this. This is despicable.

I agree, they're just whining for the sake of whining really.

I like to White Knight Samus from time to time, but I really didn't see any of this "sexism" these reviewers talk about. I just don't bother with them.

There's one more thing that still irks me in Other M. This is a game about her past and I don't even recall any mention of the Chozo. To top that off, Samus said Adam was a father figure, knowing her better than anyone else. And yet, it was the Chozo with whom she spent her years of innocence, why didn't she find family among them?

To be fair, the Chozo kind of screwed off and left her alone again. For whatever reason, at least speaking game wise. Most likely Adam served the role after that, and since he was still around...

In Prime 3, she was under orders, but they're not exactly the same thing.

In Other M, she's technically part of Adam's whole troop. He even told her when to use her suit abilities.

In Prime 3, she's working with the Federation. They're telling her where to go and what will help her, but they aren't able to directly control her actions. The closest part to her getting orders is on the Space Pirate Homeworld, and that's still only so she can keep going on her mission.

Samus was raised by the Chozo, she probably was never closer to any human than she was by Chozo. I'm actually a bit disappointed the Chozo weren't mentioned once.

However, they didn't abandon her, the Chozo are in hiding and mostly extinct due to Metroids and Space Pirates.

She was also clearly much happier with the Metroids than she was in the GF. All the official art with Samus growing up shows her as a very happy young girl, but she seemed constantly pissed off in the GF, perhaps with good reason, especially if the Chozo had just recently left her life.

She was also clearly much happier with the Metroids than she was in the GF.

It's a pretty big insult to be happier among life-force sucking parasites than your employers. I'm assuming you meant Chozos.

It's a pretty big insult to be happier among life-force sucking parasites than your employers. I'm assuming you meant Chozos.

It's not a stretch to think she knew about the Chozo's Metroid project. Hell, Samus grew up not only with Metroids and Chozo, but she grew up with Mother Brain. In fact, she trusted Mother Brain for most of her childhood.

When the only family you ever had is either hunted to near-extinction, or turns on you and everyone you loved, and then sends your family's creations that would help the galaxy after you and everyone everywhere? I doubt she trusts very many people strongly.

Edited by Nathan Farnsworth

Samus grew up not only with Metroids and Chozo, but she grew up with Mother Brain. In fact, she trusted Mother Brain for most of her childhood.

Was this in the manga or something? I wasn't aware of this.

Yes I did mean Chozos.

herp derp on my part, I guess I was tired when I wrote it.

However, the Metroids did begin as a Chozo project that was intended to be beneficial really. They were partly created to ensure the extinction of the X parasites which plagued the Chozos' homes (especially on SR388).

So I guess they weren't always evil demonic creatures.

So I guess they weren't always evil demonic creatures.

I'm pretty sure if you left them alone on SR388, and nobody had messed with them at all, Metroids would more than likely just fit perfectly into the population and hardly hurt anyone.

But nooooo, they had to be used like weapons. And almost like bullets.

I'm pretty sure if you left them alone on SR388, and nobody had messed with them at all, Metroids would more than likely just fit perfectly into the population and hardly hurt anyone.

But nooooo, they had to be used like weapons. And almost like bullets.

Basically, the whole mess boils down to the Space Pirates touching shit they really shouldn't be messing with. They have a habit of doing that, actually.

I get very annoyed with anyone who suggests that 'Real Women Never Wear Dresses'. That trope, in a nutshell, is the belief that anything that might be seen as feminine is bad. It frustrates me completely.

Considering all the things that happened to Samus over her life, if she didn't have any personal issues she'd be some kind of robot. It's unfair that people want her to be a robot, just because they want to believe that the only way women can be positive role models is if they act like men. (A steriotyped version of men too, considering many men like me are actually pretty sensitive. XD)

I get very annoyed with anyone who suggests that 'Real Women Never Wear Dresses'. That trope, in a nutshell, is the belief that anything that might be seen as feminine is bad. It frustrates me completely.

Considering all the things that happened to Samus over her life, if she didn't have any personal issues she'd be some kind of robot. It's unfair that people want her to be a robot, just because they want to believe that the only way women can be positive role models is if they act like men. (A steriotyped version of men too, considering many men like me are actually pretty sensitive. XD)

You are arguing something that no one in this thread has actually been saying.

Basically, the whole mess boils down to the Space Pirates touching shit they really shouldn't be messing with. They have a habit of doing that, actually.

"Lets use Metroids as weapons!"

"OH SHIT METROID PRIME OH SHIT THESE THINGS ARE IMPOSSIBLE TO CONTROL."

"Lets copy Samus' beams and use them to fuel our own warriors!"

"OH SHIT SHE CAN USE THE SAME BEAM ON THEM?!"

"Lets fuck up the Chozo homeworld and send them into hiding!"

"OH FUCK SAMUS ARAN"

"Lets fuck with PHAZON!"

"OH SHIT WHEN DID THE FEDERATION GET HERE?!"

"Lets recolonize Zebes!"

"FUUUCCCKKKKK"

I'm pretty sure they should stop messing with things. In general. Just don't press that button guys.

• Thumbs Up 2